The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 August 2021, 03:15 AM   #1
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

if auctions are an indication for the Nautilus...

today at Sotheybey's, a 5711 was sold for less than $100K... not sure if this is an indication that the madness started to stabilize (if it wont ever retract).

are you guys seeing nautilus prices and specially 5711 stabilizing across the world below the $100K mark? this will be good news for collectors in my opinion if this trends continues.

what are you seeing?
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 03:43 AM   #2
R.bartlett
Banned

Not commenting on that particular watch but there are slowly building rumblings that the froth is starting to come off the market..
It's been building for a while as a particular watch I was watching which was hyped up has topped out and only silly places like Sothebys' are trying stupid money..

I don't see a crash but a mild to mid correction is on it's way <IMHO>
R.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 04:31 AM   #3
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Prices are now varied for the 5711 blue and I wonder what true sale prices are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 August 2021, 06:12 AM   #4
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

For 2009, 97k usd is not bad at all. The premium is almost 30% though. The owner roughly got paid 68k deducting hammer and commission fee. He could earn more by just selling it to grey market directly.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 07:59 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

By adding Swiss VAT the USD 97k become USD 104k. In Germany I'd have to add some 19% import tax making it USD 115k!

Seems a lot for a 5711 blue from 2009 that has been polished more than I'd want. Even more so as the price was achieved in a low-profile auction without 500k+ lots where adding a 5711 is merely an afterthought. The LED dial may have helped but personally I don't like it.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 08:46 AM   #6
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
In all honesty, I don't see the 5711/1a as a 100k+ watch in the short term. Maybe in like 10 years since it is discontinued, sure. The piece has been in production since 2006 so over 14 years of production, that's not a rare piece.

I think in the long run once the watch becomes a vintage piece (in 2040 something) we could see it reaching $150k range like the current 3700. If Patek comes out with a new 5711 replacement current models are going to drop quite a bit in price. Unless the replacement is not well received.

For all the other variants such as the 5711/1r and the green dial, I think the 5711/1r will follow a similar price trajectory as the 3700J ($180k-$200k) in the long run and the green dial should cool off a bit right now. Eventually the green dial will hit astronomical prices once it becomes a vintage piece.

Disclaimer: I own a 5711
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 04:51 PM   #7
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
By adding Swiss VAT the USD 97k become USD 104k. In Germany I'd have to add some 19% import tax making it USD 115k!

Seems a lot for a 5711 blue from 2009 that has been polished more than I'd want. Even more so as the price was achieved in a low-profile auction without 500k+ lots where adding a 5711 is merely an afterthought. The LED dial may have helped but personally I don't like it.
LED dial?
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 06:50 PM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
LED dial?
Hope this helps.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=728084
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 09:17 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
LED dial?

In PP legend, "LED" stands for "Large Embossed Dial" because it has fewer but thicker horizontal lines instead of the usual number. A case of obscure naming to draw a distinction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote