The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 March 2024, 04:48 AM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Geneva Patek Museum and Salon Visit

Had a great time at the Patek Museum. I don’t know how the audio tour is, but the guided tour was excellent and I highly recommend it. I did a private tour, and it was very nice to talk one on one with a very knowledgeable guide. Without the historical significance, just looking at pieces wouldn’t have been close to as enjoyable.

I snapped a few pictures, but what is more relevant and interesting is the context that comes with it. Too long of a post to detail everything, I just posted a few. I recommend you visit if you can!

The one in the top middle is a type of coach watch. Watches for about 200 years starting in 1600 or so only told the hour. This coach watch has an hour repeater, hence its name coach watch which was used inside of a horse driven coach that would be able to tell the time by pressing the engagement and it would ring the number of hours it was (ie 9 o clock would ring 9 times).

This was a collection of watches commissioned to the king of France in the 1600s. The king’s color was this unique blue. Recognize this blue anywhere else?

I never appreciated enamel painted dials, but seeing this one from the 1600s with the colors as vibrant and crisp as ever, well that’s impressive. They dont (and can’t) restore the enamel, so that’s original. 4 centuries later it’s still perfect.

Early day chronograph. The original chronographs were used for timing horse races, and when engaging the pusher it would actually record the time by applying ink directly onto the dial. They would have to open it up and clean off the dial from the ink each time. Hence chronograph, where it was actually recording the time. Chronograph name held, but it really should be called chronoscope as no modern day chronograph is actually recording time values (only allowing it to be visualized).

Last saloon visit was great. I tried on a bunch, and I was surprised to say that the watch that spoke to me the most was the 5320. That watch is just incredible (and is far reaching enough but attainable for me at some point). I do have to say I felt bad asking to see some watches that I can’t afford in any realistic timeframe, but the SA indulged me and it was quite fun holding and engaging a minute repeater. Left with a gift as well, the SA gave me a Patek collection book. Talks about some of their big historical pieces (also displayed at the museum) .

Last thing - I was pretty surprised about this fun fact. But Philippe invented the crown. All watches prior had a winding key and he invented/patented the crown that rid of the winding key to wind up the watch. Obviously the crown is a key component for all watches today. It was also the exact reason why Patek invited Philippe to join and partner with him. It was due to Patek seeing this invention at a Paris trade show which Philippe was showing it. Made me also realize that Patek was kind of the Steve Jobs and Philippe was the Wozniak.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 06:35 AM   #2
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

What an opportunity. Thanks for sharing your experience.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 03:04 PM   #3
stefan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Last thing - I was pretty surprised about this fun fact. But Philippe invented the crown. All watches prior had a winding key and he invented/patented the crown that rid of the winding key to wind up the watch. Obviously the crown is a key component for all watches today. It was also the exact reason why Patek invited Philippe to join and partner with him. It was due to Patek seeing this invention at a Paris trade show which Philippe was showing it. Made me also realize that Patek was kind of the Steve Jobs and Philippe was the Wozniak.
Didn't know this fact.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 12:07 PM   #4
ericishere
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this post. Info was great!
ericishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 12:56 PM   #5
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
That was a great read and love the photos, THANK YOU