The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 10 December 2020, 11:36 PM   #1
bram
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Exp1
Icon8 Scammed by stevenyoo

Hi everyone... I never thought this would happen to me and I failed to follow the most important rule when buying a watch online which is to "buy the seller".

Stevenyoo posted a Grand Seiko SBGA311 (Snowflake) on TRF a couple of weeks ago and I made him an offer over text and wired the funds to an LLC. I have not heard from him in 3 days after he acknowledged receiving the money and told me that the watch would be FedEx'd later that evening.

I decided to come back to TRF to find the listing and it has been taken down and stevenyoo seems to have been banned from TRF. He was a 2020 Pledge Member when I paid him for the watch (not that it makes a difference).

I'm not sure what I can do about this, if anything, and would appreciate your advice/guidance. Is there a way to find out why he was banned from TRF? How do I request TRF to remove a vintage Omega that the seller has up for sale on TRF so no one else gets scammed?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and allowing me to vent. I am extremely disappointed and I hope this does not happen to anyone else. Moral of the story "BUY THE SELLER!!!"
bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:48 PM   #2
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Wow Zane, sorry to hear of this! Best of luck getting it resolved.

Find the for sale post and click the "report " link, and they'll likely remove it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:48 PM   #3
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Oh bummer! So sorry. I almost bought the same watch from him. things just didn't seem right so I wanted his phone number to talk to him first. It said on his profile he was a physician and I grilled him on details of being a physician and his responses were very concerning to me that he didn't know what he was talking about . so I stopped it there and didn't follow up.

Here's his phone number to inform the police. he picked up this phone and I spoke to him. He said he quit medicine and is now an accountant in New York City. he then played some game about trying to figure out where to send the money and that his bank account would not accept a zelle which didn't make sense given the transaction was less than $5,000 every Bank should accept that.

File a police report. Here's his phone number. Good luck. Keep me updated

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
oxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:49 PM   #4
steveyrock
"TRF" Member

What a nightmare. This is the scary part of buying online
steveyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:54 PM   #5
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very sorry to hear this unfortunate news. A few items:

- Flag the sale post in question using the “report” button
- PM a moderator as they may be able to provide info on the seller’s ban (they may not be able to, not sure on this one).
- contact law enforcement in the seller’s area. Provide them with any/all info you have about the seller/bank info where the wire went/etc. It’s essentially wire fraud
- post in the “who’s who” section and share your negative feedback about the seller (they’re banned so the job is done, but a record there is good)

Again, I’m very sorry to hear the news about this experience. Awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:56 PM   #6
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
This is not in the right forum (who’s who section and/or “watch out”) but he seems to have had dealings with other people on the site. Maybe see if someone has a name/address and file a local police report. It appears he sold a BLNR not long ago. Strange that such a sale would happen (if it actually did) and this one be fraud. Are you sure he’s not sick or otherwise incapacitated? I’d be worry about him being banned as well. Doesn’t bode well for the possible answers here.
Old 10 December 2020, 11:59 PM   #7
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
This is the main reason that I want to buy all my timepieces from boutiques/ADs only.

Sorry for your lost, you should report to the police asap and put him in jail.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 11:59 PM   #8
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
This is not in the right forum (who’s who section and/or “watch out”) but he seems to have had dealings with other people on the site. Maybe see if someone has a name/address and file a local police report. It appears he sold a BLNR not long ago. Strange that such a sale would happen (if it actually did) and this one be fraud. Are you sure he’s not sick or otherwise incapacitated? I’d be worry about him being banned as well. Doesn’t bode well for the possible answers here.
That's the part that's interesting here. When I was doing my background and saw that he sold a watch here and had few posts here and there about other stuff. So I thought he had a decent profile especially being pledge member. But then when I gave him a call and spoke to him things kind of fell apart and he lost his credibility. Made me wonder if you truly had a sale or who that person he sold to was. Anyhow, he did pick up the phone when I called him so he made very well just be busy and getting around to it. On the flip side since the money was sent to an LLC and not an individual person it should be easier to track down and follow up from a law enforcement side for the op

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
oxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 12:02 AM   #9
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I called the number. Looks like it’s a prepaid phone. VM stated “the text mail subscriber you are trying to reach . . . “

Then I found this:
“ What is a text mail subscriber?

You can call your service provider give them the date and time they should be able to give you the number unless it shows unknown or unavailable.

if it’s prepaid.
Then you find a great hacker.
If you call back a number and you get a voice tone that says the text mail subscriber you are trying to reach is not available, you may be dealing with an internet phone number. In that case, you cannot get your calls through. But if you leave a voice message, the person will receive it as an email in the form of a plain text.”
Old 11 December 2020, 12:20 AM   #10
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
I hope you can figure this out.

Thanks for the heads up
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 12:25 AM   #11
77T

He also marked a GMT “sold” on Dec. 3rd, so another issue could be pending.
The Omega listing has no contact info so nobody is getting scammed there - his banned status takes care of that.

It is a sad state of affairs and hope OP’s case can get resolved. Confusing that none of his other listings have been removed except for the Seiko post.

I believe the next steps are to get with a Mod and start there. The multiple sketchy phone/text numbers do indicate a potential scammer.

I’ve requested they move the thread so you can get more forensic eyeballs on this matter.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 12:34 AM   #12
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
really sorry to hear this...i hope you get him.....
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 01:14 AM   #13
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I banned this account several days ago, the real owner has had his account compromised, I also pulled the FS ad. (Done on 12/7)

There is a proper way to report these incidents, it’s listed in the rules. In short there is a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside, hit that button to report any suspicious incidents or rules violations for a post, thread or PM. These incidents are very time sensitive as to correctly reporting them so that no one else gets scammed. It’s fine to start a thread but please report it correctly first and foremost.

OP as suggested contact your local PD, also in PA we have a division in the Attorney Generals office that deals with this exact situation, you might have something similar where you are. Unfortunately with wiring funds I’d say the outlook isn’t good.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 01:31 AM   #14
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
I banned this account several days ago, the real owner has had his account compromised, I also pulled the FS ad. (Done on 12/7)

There is a proper way to report these incidents, it’s listed in the rules. In short there is a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside, hit that button to report any suspicious incidents or rules violations for a post, thread or PM. These incidents are very time sensitive as to correctly reporting them so that no one else gets scammed. It’s fine to start a thread but please report it correctly first and foremost.

OP as suggested contact your local PD, also in PA we have a division in the Attorney Generals office that deals with this exact situation, you might have something similar where you are. Unfortunately with wiring funds I’d say the outlook isn’t good.
Makes perfect sense Tim. It would seem the real owner might not have been the scammer after all. Hope he installs 2FA after things are straightened out.

Old 11 December 2020, 01:31 AM   #15
strikefreedom
"TRF" Member

Banning the user and removing their posts is fine, but isn't it too late already? What's being done differently to prevent these scams from happening? Stricter measures/requirements? One way is, like I mentioned on my scammer thread, is to post a photo of the watch set to a certain time with their username and date written on a piece of paper next to it.
strikefreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 01:56 AM   #16
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefreedom View Post
Banning the user and removing their posts is fine, but isn't it too late already? What's being done differently to prevent these scams from happening? Stricter measures/requirements? One way is, like I mentioned on my scammer thread, is to post a photo of the watch set to a certain time with their username and date written on a piece of paper next to it.
And even if the seller (legit or scammer) went through those steps and had you wire funds to their account.....

*poof*

Never
Wire
Money
VonSlingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 02:26 AM   #17
envuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSlingshot View Post
And even if the seller (legit or scammer) went through those steps and had you wire funds to their account.....

*poof*

Never
Wire
Money

“Never” and “always” statements are kind of my pet peeve. I’d recommend obtaining a drivers license photo before wiring funds, but a wire is pretty standard. Using PayPal can result in a buyer scam where the seller is out the funds

Only you can protect yourself. TRF takes some good steps to validate sellers (post photo of watch set to given time), but it’s not going to be perfect.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 02:39 AM   #18
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

maybe post photo of drivers license with the watch set to a specific time!
VonSlingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 02:47 AM   #19
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Really sorry to hear this. Scammers are working overtime this time of year. The only time I will or once have wired funds was to an establihed brick and mortar store.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 03:19 AM   #20
77T

Scammed by stevenyoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefreedom View Post
One way is, like I mentioned on my scammer thread, is to post a photo of the watch set to a certain time with their username and date written on a piece of paper next to it.

That’s routinely required by Mods as one measure of knowing the watch is actually in the sellers possession.

Another measure is 2FA to protect sellers accts from being hijacked.

Once a hijack occurs, banning the acct is step one in the process for letting the genuine user to recover his credentials.

Removing a listing is to avoid scammer from continuing his exploit with the external contact info posted therein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11 December 2020, 03:31 AM   #21
scottlech
"TRF" Member

I was literally about to wire him funds for the same watch on 12/4. But I had my suspicions and asked one more follow up question. Never heard back from him.

Really sorry OP.
scottlech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 04:19 AM   #22
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I’m not going to get into how it’s done (use your imagination) but scammers have developed ways around the setting to a specific time/date and paper with username printed and dated.
Buyer beware, buy the seller, read the rules and advice sticky in the FS section then read it again. Read it a third time before sending money.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 06:54 AM   #23
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
IMHO, 'WIRE' is only safe to brick-and-mortar, long-established sellers such as DAVIDSW, TAKUYA, and few others. (These guys are safe, safe, safe.) I have purchased from both using wire transfer.

I would NEVER NEVER EVER wire funds to anyone else. Not even to so called "trusted sellers." No credit card or PayPal accepted from them - I will go elsewhere 100% of the time. (And have.)

Many trusted sellers can get hacked and/or impersonated easily. Even some very wary buyers have fallen victim.

These 'wiring money' scams are always going to be successful. A real shame.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 07:13 AM   #24
zruvalcaba
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear about this OP. After hearing more and more stories like this, it makes me feel incredibly lucky and thankful that I narrowly evaded a potential scam. I hope this ends well for you.
Old 11 December 2020, 03:39 PM   #25
Aconitase
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC, Omega, GS, MG
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxzilla View Post
I grilled him on details of being a physician
"Residency? I live in the US."
Aconitase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 03:43 PM   #26
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Buyer beware, buy the seller, read the rules and advice sticky in the FS.

This. +1

If you’re getting scammed you’re not taking basic steps to protect yourself.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 09:59 PM   #27
base615
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
This. +1

If you’re getting scammed you’re not taking basic steps to protect yourself.

All well and good saying this but this guy thought he was buying the seller but the seller he thought he was buying had had his account compromised.

I won't wire money to anyone but plenty of sellers won't accept anything else.
base615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 11:51 PM   #28
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Also, the scammer rarely uses their own bank accounts. Once you realize a fraud may have occurred you should immediately contact both banks. Since the receiving account may have been hacked the receiving bank may be able to freeze the funds before they’re withdrawn. This may be the best bet to try and get your funds back.

It’s a little too late but NEVER wire funds to an account that doesn’t exactly match the name of the established seller.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 12:21 AM   #29
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

These kinds of stories always suck.

Also, remember in providing comments and advice, hindsight is always 20/20. We just have to make sure we do our due diligence before committing to the sale.

Wiring money on these levels is risky.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 12:52 AM   #30
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Sorry this happened- no 1 rule as a buyer- NO WIRES !! If the seller won’t accept AMX or pay pal - goodbye!! Once again show me just ONE scam or mis-understanding on this forum that couldn’t have been nipped in the bud following this simple rule. Oh yeah I know you will hear sellers say they won’t sell that way and that’s fine I won’t buy from them- I am not so stupid that I would send any seller except maybe an authorized AD w brick & mortar ( maybe!)a box of cash w NO recourse if piece doesn’t arrive or isn’t what was claimed or maybe he made an innocent mistake. As a buyer you MUST protect yourself, sadly “ buying the seller “ is good but offers no SURE protection.Go ahead , get seller’s references, Call him on the phone , get a copy of his drivers license and birth certificate and send him a wire for thousands of dollars - when you get skinned be sure to post it on this forum so that others can see how that worked.Most important rule - No WIRES! Not trying to be a smarty pants but sincerely want to save folks on the forum a whole bunch of grief . There is no shortage of sellers who will agree to this condition. Thanks for reading , james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote