The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 6 February 2018, 04:37 AM   #31
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
•••OO - Refreshments available
gotta work on this one
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 10:30 AM   #32
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
I think these scammers with fake watches give everyone else a bad name. I was thinking of selling my Rolex submariner just over a year ago and also took it to a trader in Liverpool for appraisal and the whole experience put me off. They took away my watch & card away out of sight for ages and then rejected it saying the watch wasn't worth it as the dial was scratched which I knew should not be possible as it'd never been opened since new but it got me really worried so I took it in Rolex St James London where they fully inspected it and confirmed there was no such scratch and the glass/dial was absolutely fine. I went ahead with a service and now it's as new as when I bought it and it's gone back into its box as I don't really wear it much. However I wonder if it's people trying to sell fake watches which makes the secondhand watch traders suspicious of people with genuine watches too. Hope the police catch the crook. 🙂
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 11:05 AM   #33
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
I think these scammers with fake watches give everyone else a bad name. I was thinking of selling my Rolex submariner just over a year ago and also took it to a trader in Liverpool for appraisal and the whole experience put me off. They took away my watch & card away out of sight for ages and then rejected it saying the watch wasn't worth it as the dial was scratched which I knew should not be possible as it'd never been opened since new but it got me really worried so I took it in Rolex St James London where they fully inspected it and confirmed there was no such scratch and the glass/dial was absolutely fine. I went ahead with a service and now it's as new as when I bought it and it's gone back into its box as I don't really wear it much. However I wonder if it's people trying to sell fake watches which makes the secondhand watch traders suspicious of people with genuine watches too. Hope the police catch the crook. ��
That's an odd one.

If the business you visited (perhaps one of mine, I don't know) made no offer at all then they must have felt there was some problem with the dial. This is such an expensive thing to correct (a full service by Rolex UK is required in order to obtain a new dial) that it would explain why they didn't wish to offer.

The dealer would have nothing to gain by making up a mark on the dial, if they did not offer at all.

Rolex UK’s QC is not perfect --- only a couple of months ago they fitted a new LV bezel for us that they scratched before sending out (proven subsequently and replaced!).

I certainly don't think people trying to sell fakes makes any difference to the offers made for genuine watches, no.

As regards the twit described in the OP, all is in hand with the police ;-)

H
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 04:52 PM   #34
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

.....and now the word ‘twit’. This just keeps getting better.
Old 6 February 2018, 07:05 PM   #35
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
That's an odd one.

If the business you visited (perhaps one of mine, I don't know) made no offer at all then they must have felt there was some problem with the dial. This is such an expensive thing to correct (a full service by Rolex UK is required in order to obtain a new dial) that it would explain why they didn't wish to offer.

The dealer would have nothing to gain by making up a mark on the dial, if they did not offer at all.

Rolex UK’s QC is not perfect --- only a couple of months ago they fitted a new LV bezel for us that they scratched before sending out (proven subsequently and replaced!).

I certainly don't think people trying to sell fakes makes any difference to the offers made for genuine watches, no.

As regards the twit described in the OP, all is in hand with the police ;-)

H
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if it was maybe one of your business interests- it was a pawnbroking shop in the mall near the train station that trades/sells jewellery and watches. I did question how there could be a scratch on the dial as the watch had never been opened since new and they then corrected to say there was a mark over the glass and it would be about £200 to replace and not worth it, so they simply handed me my watch and card back with no offer. I don't know if they were mistaken or maybe they made it up as a reason for declining the watch because they were suspicious it wasn't real or maybe thought it was stolen even though the card has my name as the original owner. I must admit I was rather nervous as they took the watch away for maybe 10 minutes or more and I didn't know what they were doing with it all that time, so maybe they thought I was trying to sell a stolen watch.

I think secondhand watch traders must get so many crooks coming their way that they are highly suspicious of everyone even genuine owners.

Anyway I must say Rolex do a great job with the full service they did as it was due it anyway. My understanding is that their QC for part jobs is lower than for a full service.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 01:13 PM   #36
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Fantastic read, I look forward to the next installment of their quest to flog their sketchy wares !
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 01:06 AM   #37
Csu87
"TRF" Member

What a pair of morons

How did they think that thing was going to fool any reputable shop? So many things wrong with it, before you even take the caseback off and see that craptastic movement.

The sad thing is, that watch or another like it will end up on a local selling site and some unsuspecting person will buy it thinking they got a great deal.

One of the things I hate the most is telling people they have a fake when they ask me if its real or not.
Csu87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 02:15 AM   #38
promithius
"TRF" Member

Love it, surprised it wasn't inherited from Granddad, that's the story I hear 6 times a day, strangely none of them ever return with the proof. The best was a chap trying to sell us a fake Sub, told me it was left to him in 2007 when the card had 2012 written on it.
promithius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 02:40 AM   #39
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
and this week on Crime Watch....

The audacity of it... and they put this up on trip advisor? I understand the laws in regards to posting the pictures of the criminal in question but surely these people should be named and shamed as they are clearly making a living out of it.
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 03:20 AM   #40
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Lol I loved the story telling. I've never come across a blogger-cum-crook. Really enjoyed the read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 February 2018, 11:56 AM   #41
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
no wonder i can't understand anything on the show Peaky Blinders, I could hardly read through that accent, do people still talk like that? lol.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 03:09 PM   #42
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
no wonder i can't understand anything on the show Peaky Blinders, I could hardly read through that accent, do people still talk like that? lol.

Didn't use the subtitles, eh? Did ya, eh?
Old 11 February 2018, 04:58 AM   #43
occb2
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Love this. Few things. UK laws must be different than US laws. I wish that we can keep peoples passports and property and call the police. I was a detective in the NYPD for 20 years and while people did that in the 90's if you did that now, I would have to actually arrest you as the store owner. I would have to articulate how that the guy who had the fake KNEW it was a fake. That is the level of suspension to prove that he committed a crime. The way the law is written in NYS is if a person knowingly possesses a forged instrument and knowing attempts to sell said instrument.

I have brought watches and have taken them to Rolex USA in NYC on 5th ave where they refused to work on them. I have gotten my money back every time. Wether it be ebay or pawnshops or jewelers.

Since retirement 5 years ago, I have opened a small repair shop. I have worked on local jewelers and pawnshop Rolexes.

They take them in and want me too service them. I have learned the 3135 problem is getting parts. While my wholesalers sell aftermarket rolex replacement parts for movements and bezels and crystals, nothing is ever marked ROLEX.

This is why I hate Ebay. There are guys selling "Custom" Rolexes. With "Aftermarket" dials. No such beast! Anything with a Rolex logo that isnt made by rolex is a fake. Not legal. At least here in the USA.

This is why I love guys here on TRF that sale parts like crystals, hands and so on. They are sealed and real.

I always offer the jeweler real parts that I can source. They are hard and expensive to get. But they ALWAYS pic the cheap aftermarket crystal, hands, date wheel and movement part. I hate it but I do what the customer wants.

Now quickly. I LOVE what the OP did. If I were in the store at the time and I was still active I would had had a blast with him. "Looking at his walk, he undoubtedly knew that what he was in possession of was a fake. Leaving his passport is also an odd thing. I hope that Scottland yard (who I got to work with on a homicide. They came here to NYC because their subject ran here.) grab him.

But as a store owner OP. You have to watch out. Here in the USA they are so liberal that the person that you are illegally holding properly from can and will sue you and win in the liberal courts. At least here in NY. If you dont believe me I can send you tons of proof privately.

Case by case of course. But the details in the start if the chain of events happen the way you posted and the fact that you posted them leave you open for a hell of issues.

A police officer has to prove a level of suspicion. Which are, mere suspicions, reasonable suspicion, probable cause,( which is the level for arrest) then the courts have what is called IN FACT, (Beyond a reasonable doubt) and in civil cases they have what is called preponderance of the evidence. Which is a different level of suspicion.

As a business, you leave your company or corporation open for judgement and fines and civil liability. If you don't believe me ask your lawyer.

Just a friendly advice, delete the story and put what happen and leave out the details of the passport. You holding someones properly to keep him there against his will is actually a Robbery in the standards here in the USA. I know its crazy but here any force + larceny= Robbery. Even though you called the police, I have had too and hated doing so, arrested people that called 911. I have had to arrest complaints. The world sucks and the laws are being made for the criminals.

One thing more before I go. This is a 100% true story and it will show you, at least the views here in NYC.

A transit police officer was on patrol. He heard a lady yelling for help. He is in uniform. He observes a male raping a female on a empty platform in the subway. He yells at the guy and gives chase. The officer is a distance away but continues to give chase. The man tries to jump down a flight of steps breaking his leg and back. He is paralyzed.

He sues the NYPD. He wins over 8 million dollars. The jury found that his injuries happen because the NYPD were chasing him. Even though he was committing a crime, that due to the fact that they were chasing him and he got injured, it was the fault of the NYPD and they gave him a crazy amount of money.

I can give you more stories than you can believe it is sick. As anyone in law enforcement. I have had to arrest people that I believe were 1000% correct. It has nothing to do with what I think. It is a sick world out there where the innocent are wrong and the bad are right.

One more story because I love talking. LOL. I had a homicide where the perp surrendered. He shot the guy and called 911 and told them the gun is in his car. The uniform took him into custody. They brought him to me who was the catching detective at that time. I read him his rights and he gave a full video statement. Quickly in sum and substance, he stated that he was sick with HIV and poor. He lost half a foot. Lost his job. So every day he collected scrap metal and cans to make money for his family. The guy he shot would rob him at least 1 to 2 times a week. He tried to get him arrested and the guy beat up his 18 year old son. It was when the man attacked and beat his wife when he got a gun from someone. He refused to say where. And shot the guy. So me, I felt terrible. This guy has lived a uneventful life were he was just trying to make it. He had a min. arrest record. The victim in the case has an arrest record that goes a mile long. To me. Manslaughter is more than enough for this guy. He is in my mine a victim to this abuser. Still he shouldn't had killed him.

Do you know that the Bronx DA's office in NYC brought him up on murder 2 charges. For a 25 year to life sentence! At no point did he not comply. He gave it all up. He said everything and never asked for an attorney or fought hearings or evidence. Gave us the gun. A ground ball.

Now I have had homicides where I chased a guy to LA California. That was fun. LOL. But that guy, we never got the gun. We had his statement but he ran. Made us chase him for 3 weeks. We used lots of money and he had a crazy paid attorney. The Bronx DA in NYC took a plea of Manslaughter 2, 7 years probably with good behavior. This world sucks. I don't want @Haywood_Milton to get in trouble for trying to do the right thing. Good luck and I would delete this post and re-write it just stating the facts and omit the passport holding.

Also here in Rolex USA they will never confiscate a watch. They hold the right too. But My buddy works Midtown south which is the area covered that Rolex USA is in. I have asked how many times has Rolex called for fakes and what do they look like. He said in his 15 years there he has never had a case of a fake at Rolex. He has had grand larceny and credit card fraud cases there but never.

I was there a month ago verifying a GMT that I brought. I spoke to the tech that brings the watch to the watchmakers and I asked her. She said that if the RSC lists it as a fake, they refuse to even talk about it. They bring it back to the person presenting it and tell him it is a fake and to leave.

You though have a possible crime because he attempted to sell it to you. But in that crime, the knowledge that it is fake is the requirement. So unless he said, ok you got me. The second you saw it was a fake, I would had photocopied his ID. Given everything back to him. Said I am calling the police and giving your information too them I advise you too leave. Called the police. Given them the information and let them do their job.

Hope nothing comes out of this. Keep selling the beauties I love so much. I am addicted. Now more than ever. It started in 2000 with my 16610 and now I own 8 rolexes. Sick. Last few years since opening my company I learned a lot. I have gone to watch shows in NYC were a date just in non running condition cost me $1500.

If I am ever in England, which might be this summer. We are booked on a cruise through Europe. I will stop by and look at your beautiful collection. Who knows. I may even buy one. If you can find me a 126600 at retail I will love you. Im on a wait list at my AD. They actually told me if I would give them $2000 more that they can get it faster. That is just wrong.
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:10 AM   #44
artschool
"TRF" Member

"like some sort of righteous sharks"

Bravo Milton, Bravo!
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:04 AM   #45
Yk101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by occb2 View Post
Love this. Few things. UK laws must be different than US laws. I wish that we can keep peoples passports and property and call the police. I was a detective in the NYPD for 20 years and while people did that in the 90's if you did that now, I would have to actually arrest you as the store owner. I would have to articulate how that the guy who had the fake KNEW it was a fake. That is the level of suspension to prove that he committed a crime. The way the law is written in NYS is if a person knowingly possesses a forged instrument and knowing attempts to sell said instrument.

I have brought watches and have taken them to Rolex USA in NYC on 5th ave where they refused to work on them. I have gotten my money back every time. Wether it be ebay or pawnshops or jewelers.

Since retirement 5 years ago, I have opened a small repair shop. I have worked on local jewelers and pawnshop Rolexes.

They take them in and want me too service them. I have learned the 3135 problem is getting parts. While my wholesalers sell aftermarket rolex replacement parts for movements and bezels and crystals, nothing is ever marked ROLEX.

This is why I hate Ebay. There are guys selling "Custom" Rolexes. With "Aftermarket" dials. No such beast! Anything with a Rolex logo that isnt made by rolex is a fake. Not legal. At least here in the USA.

This is why I love guys here on TRF that sale parts like crystals, hands and so on. They are sealed and real.

I always offer the jeweler real parts that I can source. They are hard and expensive to get. But they ALWAYS pic the cheap aftermarket crystal, hands, date wheel and movement part. I hate it but I do what the customer wants.

Now quickly. I LOVE what the OP did. If I were in the store at the time and I was still active I would had had a blast with him. "Looking at his walk, he undoubtedly knew that what he was in possession of was a fake. Leaving his passport is also an odd thing. I hope that Scottland yard (who I got to work with on a homicide. They came here to NYC because their subject ran here.) grab him.

But as a store owner OP. You have to watch out. Here in the USA they are so liberal that the person that you are illegally holding properly from can and will sue you and win in the liberal courts. At least here in NY. If you dont believe me I can send you tons of proof privately.

Case by case of course. But the details in the start if the chain of events happen the way you posted and the fact that you posted them leave you open for a hell of issues.

A police officer has to prove a level of suspicion. Which are, mere suspicions, reasonable suspicion, probable cause,( which is the level for arrest) then the courts have what is called IN FACT, (Beyond a reasonable doubt) and in civil cases they have what is called preponderance of the evidence. Which is a different level of suspicion.

As a business, you leave your company or corporation open for judgement and fines and civil liability. If you don't believe me ask your lawyer.

Just a friendly advice, delete the story and put what happen and leave out the details of the passport. You holding someones properly to keep him there against his will is actually a Robbery in the standards here in the USA. I know its crazy but here any force + larceny= Robbery. Even though you called the police, I have had too and hated doing so, arrested people that called 911. I have had to arrest complaints. The world sucks and the laws are being made for the criminals.

One thing more before I go. This is a 100% true story and it will show you, at least the views here in NYC.

A transit police officer was on patrol. He heard a lady yelling for help. He is in uniform. He observes a male raping a female on a empty platform in the subway. He yells at the guy and gives chase. The officer is a distance away but continues to give chase. The man tries to jump down a flight of steps breaking his leg and back. He is paralyzed.

He sues the NYPD. He wins over 8 million dollars. The jury found that his injuries happen because the NYPD were chasing him. Even though he was committing a crime, that due to the fact that they were chasing him and he got injured, it was the fault of the NYPD and they gave him a crazy amount of money.

I can give you more stories than you can believe it is sick. As anyone in law enforcement. I have had to arrest people that I believe were 1000% correct. It has nothing to do with what I think. It is a sick world out there where the innocent are wrong and the bad are right.

One more story because I love talking. LOL. I had a homicide where the perp surrendered. He shot the guy and called 911 and told them the gun is in his car. The uniform took him into custody. They brought him to me who was the catching detective at that time. I read him his rights and he gave a full video statement. Quickly in sum and substance, he stated that he was sick with HIV and poor. He lost half a foot. Lost his job. So every day he collected scrap metal and cans to make money for his family. The guy he shot would rob him at least 1 to 2 times a week. He tried to get him arrested and the guy beat up his 18 year old son. It was when the man attacked and beat his wife when he got a gun from someone. He refused to say where. And shot the guy. So me, I felt terrible. This guy has lived a uneventful life were he was just trying to make it. He had a min. arrest record. The victim in the case has an arrest record that goes a mile long. To me. Manslaughter is more than enough for this guy. He is in my mine a victim to this abuser. Still he shouldn't had killed him.

Do you know that the Bronx DA's office in NYC brought him up on murder 2 charges. For a 25 year to life sentence! At no point did he not comply. He gave it all up. He said everything and never asked for an attorney or fought hearings or evidence. Gave us the gun. A ground ball.

Now I have had homicides where I chased a guy to LA California. That was fun. LOL. But that guy, we never got the gun. We had his statement but he ran. Made us chase him for 3 weeks. We used lots of money and he had a crazy paid attorney. The Bronx DA in NYC took a plea of Manslaughter 2, 7 years probably with good behavior. This world sucks. I don't want @Haywood_Milton to get in trouble for trying to do the right thing. Good luck and I would delete this post and re-write it just stating the facts and omit the passport holding.

Also here in Rolex USA they will never confiscate a watch. They hold the right too. But My buddy works Midtown south which is the area covered that Rolex USA is in. I have asked how many times has Rolex called for fakes and what do they look like. He said in his 15 years there he has never had a case of a fake at Rolex. He has had grand larceny and credit card fraud cases there but never.

I was there a month ago verifying a GMT that I brought. I spoke to the tech that brings the watch to the watchmakers and I asked her. She said that if the RSC lists it as a fake, they refuse to even talk about it. They bring it back to the person presenting it and tell him it is a fake and to leave.

You though have a possible crime because he attempted to sell it to you. But in that crime, the knowledge that it is fake is the requirement. So unless he said, ok you got me. The second you saw it was a fake, I would had photocopied his ID. Given everything back to him. Said I am calling the police and giving your information too them I advise you too leave. Called the police. Given them the information and let them do their job.

Hope nothing comes out of this. Keep selling the beauties I love so much. I am addicted. Now more than ever. It started in 2000 with my 16610 and now I own 8 rolexes. Sick. Last few years since opening my company I learned a lot. I have gone to watch shows in NYC were a date just in non running condition cost me $1500.

If I am ever in England, which might be this summer. We are booked on a cruise through Europe. I will stop by and look at your beautiful collection. Who knows. I may even buy one. If you can find me a 126600 at retail I will love you. Im on a wait list at my AD. They actually told me if I would give them $2000 more that they can get it faster. That is just wrong.

Nice story!
Yk101 is offline   Reply With Quote