The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 30 November 2017, 05:46 PM   #1
harryrichthomas
Banned

Watch: GMT II DJ41
Help with purchasing from an international seller on Chrono24

Hi everyone,

Looking to purchase a piece from a seller in the States on chrono24 (I’m in the UK). Never done this before so can you help me understand the process of actually paying the money and receiving the watch please? I’m assuming it should be done through a certain payment system so as to prevent me from paying for the watch and never actually receiving it or it arriving and not being as advertised?!

Thanks in advance!
harryrichthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 06:28 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
First do your homework on the seller. Check reviews on the who is who and other watch forums. If you can't find any than pass.

The term trusted seller on Chrono24 means nothing. Everybody is a trusted seller there and still lots of examples of a deal going sour. Chrono24 does unfortunately nothing for you in such case.
Hiding behind privacy legislation.
To get a better deal you might approach the seller directly since there is a fee of 3% for the seller.

If your watch is shipped from the US to the UK it will end up in customs and you are to pay VAT and import duties. I don't know exactly for the UK but for NL that adds up to about 30%.
Dealing with a EU seller will avoid that.

Unless you are after a very rare piece which is very cheap it makes no sense for a EU citizen to purchase in the US.
Old 30 November 2017, 10:05 PM   #3
colpol
"TRF" Member

I've purchased from US into UK

Seller had a sterling reputation so knew I was covered from that point of view

Seller wanted funds via a wire transfer which easy enough to setup or just go through your bank. Worth while shopping around

I got hit with customs charge as seller declared full value. It was a vintage sub but for was worth it as Watch was best I'd seem & 12/ 18 months down line - I'd broke even as prices went up & up
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 01:43 AM   #4
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Look for an EU seller to avoid at least 20% VAT.

Send from my smartphone withTapatalk.
Old 1 December 2017, 02:21 AM   #5
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrichthomas View Post
...I’m assuming it should be done through a certain payment system so as to prevent me from paying for the watch and never actually receiving it or it arriving and not being as advertised?!...
The system you seek only exists as a figment of your imagination.

Afaik!
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 02:33 AM   #6
Drives550
"TRF" Member

I don't know about US into UK, but I used Chrono24 or Italy into US. Zero problems or hassle. Watch was better than represented. Shipping was about a week faster than expected. Seller declared it a $500 used stainless steel watch (was a minty Oysterquartz) so customs into US was negligible. I'd advise contacting the seller about declared value prior to purchase.

I did a bit of homework, everything checked out, I went for it.

From the few transactions or attempted transactions I've had with people on this site, I'll just say they seem to be very, very cautious. Almost as though each has personally been swindled on selling a watch and has vowed never again. So, with a grain of salt. Me, I'm more of a stop worrying and learn to love the bomb sort. So, another grain of salt.
Drives550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 05:45 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrichthomas View Post
H I’m assuming it should be done through a certain payment system so as to prevent me from paying for the watch and never actually receiving it or it arriving and not being as advertised?!

Thanks in advance!
Yes, that is called a credit card with fraud protection
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 06:05 AM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Are you sure you can't source what you want in the UK. Pm if I can help.
Old 1 December 2017, 11:32 AM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drives550 View Post
I don't know about US into UK, but I used Chrono24 or Italy into US. Zero problems or hassle. Watch was better than represented. Shipping was about a week faster than expected. Seller declared it a $500 used stainless steel watch (was a minty Oysterquartz) so customs into US was negligible. I'd advise contacting the seller about declared value prior to purchase.

I did a bit of homework, everything checked out, I went for it.

From the few transactions or attempted transactions I've had with people on this site, I'll just say they seem to be very, very cautious. Almost as though each has personally been swindled on selling a watch and has vowed never again. So, with a grain of salt. Me, I'm more of a stop worrying and learn to love the bomb sort. So, another grain of salt.
Be careful about lying on customs declarations (especially if importing into the UK as the OP plans to do) - while it may save some money, it exposes you to the risk of confiscation and or fines

More broadly, I agree with you point that if you’ve done your homework you can find decent sellers on chrono24
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote