The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 30 April 2017, 05:50 AM   #1
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
A little disappointment with Omega

Took my Speedmaster to the closest Omega AD as one of the chrono hands wasn't resetting to zero and it hadn't been serviced. Was keeping time around -15 sec per day. I've had it for around 5 years. They sent it to Omega for service. Got a call from Omega today. The movement isn't "performing to our standard and needs a full service". Ok. No sweat. Cost? 950$...ouch, but it is a chrono so....
Big disappointment--watch will have a ONE year warranty after service compliments of Omega. Guess that's why we all appreciate the 5 year Rolex warranty. Sigh. Seems a little short to me. But oh well I guess.
Old 30 April 2017, 06:24 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

A good independent can service it for a third of this cost.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 06:46 AM   #3
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
A good independent can service it for a third of this cost.

Probably. But not one anywhere near me, and Omega already has it now. So just gonna let them do it. Lesson learned for next time though.
Old 30 April 2017, 07:01 AM   #4
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know of any Omega certified indie watchmaker with a Swatch parts account who would do a Speedy for 1/3 of $900. Those days are long over.
You will get it back in tip-top shape. My guy here in ATL would be a bit over $700 methinks.

If you've been coaching linemen on the sled, maybe don't wear it those days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 07:05 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsurgBM View Post
Probably. But not one anywhere near me, and Omega already has it now. So just gonna let them do it. Lesson learned for next time though.
You'll get a service box, card and maybe some other goodies. Nice collectors items
Old 30 April 2017, 07:20 AM   #6
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I don't know of any Omega certified indie watchmaker with a Swatch parts account who would do a Speedy for 1/3 of $900. Those days are long over.
You will get it back in tip-top shape. My guy here in ATL would be a bit over $700 methinks.

If you've been coaching linemen on the sled, maybe don't wear it those days

Maybe it was the repeated form tackles. Lol.
Old 30 April 2017, 07:20 AM   #7
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
You'll get a service box, card and maybe some other goodies. Nice collectors items

Well at least there's that. I was just really surprised the warranty was only one year.
Old 30 April 2017, 07:29 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well at least there's that. I was just really surprised the warranty was only one year.
Don't sweat it. The watch will run trouble free for at least another 5 years.
Old 30 April 2017, 11:36 AM   #9
sportsmaven20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I did some reading on Watchuseek and found some comments that the Omega warranty after servicing is 2-years (same as Rolex). The 5-year Rolex warranty you mentioned in an earlier post only applies to the initial warranty after purchase...I hope this provides some clarity for you and makes you feel better that you'll get the same service warranty as Rolex!

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...3947650?page=1
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 12:25 PM   #10
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting...According to the Omega website, a complete service for a chronograph is $750.

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...ervice-prices/

They also state that there is a 2 year warranty after complete service work is performed.

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...059b263522a93b
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 12:42 PM   #11
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Interesting...According to the Omega website, a complete service for a chronograph is $750.

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...ervice-prices/

They also state that there is a 2 year warranty after complete service work is performed.

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...059b263522a93b
That is interesting. I'll call my AD and try to get some clarification.
Old 30 April 2017, 01:17 PM   #12
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:

I most certainly would. $150 seems like a heck of a processing fee. Chrono service is always expensive but man I love my speedy. Good luck.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 09:46 PM   #13
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Recently, I was looking at a used Speedmaster Moonwatch. So, I called their Customer Service dept and inquired about doing a full service. They told me the same thing as on their website...$750 for the service and a 2 year followup warranty.

Let us know what happens.
Old 30 April 2017, 11:07 PM   #14
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I don't see the problem. The watch was broken. You sent it to Omega. They quoted a price to service and fix it. Nothing dishonest or poor about that IMHO
Old 30 April 2017, 11:40 PM   #15
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Big disappointment--watch will have a ONE year warranty after service compliments of Omega. Guess that's why we all appreciate the 5 year Rolex warranty. Sigh. Seems a little short to me. But oh well I guess.

Rolex 5 years warranty is for a new watch after purchase, Omega is 4 for co-axial movements.

Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 12:02 AM   #16
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Never send the watch through an AD - they upcharge. Send it directly to Secaucus, NJ service center. They quote you quickly, and provide you with a way to check the status, cost, and potential return date online. Their service is awesome, I've had nothing but good luck with it. This is Omega's OFFICIAL repair center. Include a typed up page with: what you're sending (model and serial), issues you're sending it in for, and your contact info including address, email addy, phone number. If your watch is under warranty or recently out of warranty, include a copy of the warranty card, JUST the copy (make sure it's legible). Here's the info:

SGUS REPAIR
55 METRO WAY, SUITE 1
SECAUCUS NJ 07094 US

Tel: 8778395224

Hope this helps!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 12:06 AM   #17
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I don't see the problem. The watch was broken. You sent it to Omega. They quoted a price to service and fix it. Nothing dishonest or poor about that IMHO

The problem, in case you didn't read above, is that the price quoted me was $200 more than the website states that should be, and the warranty they offered me is one year less than the website states it should be. That's the question.
Old 1 May 2017, 12:08 AM   #18
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
Nestbit's would have been a little cheaper, but probably not by much.
Old 1 May 2017, 01:19 AM   #19
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO

The title should be "A Little Disappointment with the AD." That is a heck of an upcharge and wrong warranty information. Are you sure they aren't just doing the service in-house? There was a recent thread where the guy thought his watch was being sent to Tudor but Tourneau was just going to do it themselves.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:58 AM   #20
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Glad I found this thread, took my Speedy to Finks in Charlotte NC to be sent off to Omega for a full service as well, they said 1 year warranty. Haven't got it back yet but would like to verify the 2 yr deal, I think I read that in here months ago about the extra warranty as well.
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 10:46 AM   #21
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The problem, in case you didn't read above, is that the price quoted me was $200 more than the website states that should be, and the warranty they offered me is one year less than the website states it should be. That's the question.
You didn't know there was pricing difference when you started this topic...

Also you were comparing the Omega service warranty to Rolex warranty that is provided on a new watch... from which the warranty length information AND pricing details were conveyed to you by the AD...

So...what is the problem with Omega service again?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 10:49 AM   #22
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
We just did a Speedy movement service for $380. The hands weren't lining up on it either.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 12:21 PM   #23
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
You didn't know there was pricing difference when you started this topic...

Also you were comparing the Omega service warranty to Rolex warranty that is provided on a new watch... from which the warranty length information AND pricing details were conveyed to you by the AD...

So...what is the problem with Omega service again?
Not sure how this is unclear. Do you think 980$ to service the watch, which I was quoted, and a 1 year warranty, which I was offered, is overall good service? I was disappointed in both. Thus I was just stating I thought it seemed expensive and thought the warranty seemed slight. Which I said in the OP. Then, at someone else's mention, discovered that the Omega website states differently.

As a matter of follow up, I spoke with the AD today. He stated he was confused too, and has already contacted Omega via email and is awaiting a response. He also "pledged to give me the price Omega has on its website for service and a two year warranty if that's what it says."

I get the feeling there is a markup, which he didn't readily admit to, but seems willing to wave since I called them out on it. We'll see. He said that quoted price was straight from Omega. He's trying to find out why. He's also going to ask about the warranty. I'll try and give him the benefit of the doubt until then. I'll update when I know more. Appreciate those who have contributed to my learning about this issue.
Old 1 May 2017, 06:48 PM   #24
john_s4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Guess that's why we all appreciate the 5 year Rolex warranty
The Rolex 5 year warranty only came in on the 1st July 2015 for new watches, so even if it was a Rolex it would have been out of warranty and you would have been charged a fortune for them to do it.
john_s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 09:26 PM   #25
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not sure how this is unclear. Do you think 980$ to service the watch, which I was quoted, and a 1 year warranty, which I was offered, is overall good service? I was disappointed in both. Thus I was just stating I thought it seemed expensive and thought the warranty seemed slight. Which I said in the OP. Then, at someone else's mention, discovered that the Omega website states differently.

As a matter of follow up, I spoke with the AD today. He stated he was confused too, and has already contacted Omega via email and is awaiting a response. He also "pledged to give me the price Omega has on its website for service and a two year warranty if that's what it says."

I get the feeling there is a markup, which he didn't readily admit to, but seems willing to wave since I called them out on it. We'll see. He said that quoted price was straight from Omega. He's trying to find out why. He's also going to ask about the warranty. I'll try and give him the benefit of the doubt until then. I'll update when I know more. Appreciate those who have contributed to my learning about this issue.
Well done on following up. Hopefully, you will save some money. Please keep us informed.
Old 2 May 2017, 09:39 AM   #26
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Well, the update today. The AD called me back, and after a few seconds of smalltalk, said long story short the price will be $750. She attributed the initial quoted price to a "mistake" from some new help in their office, Who apparently added a service charge that is normally only included with new retail sales, not Service. She said she would have caught up in the final paperwork anyway, and I would not have been charged a higher price. Sounds a little sketchy with me, but she made it right (though I have my doubts that would have happened without calling them out). Anyway, now the price is 750 and the warranty is two years. Again, to those in this thread that brought that to my attention so I could realize these benefits, thank you. Another great benefit of this forum.
Old 2 May 2017, 10:21 AM   #27
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well, the update today. The AD called me back, and after a few seconds of smalltalk, said long story short the price will be $750. She attributed the initial quoted price to a "mistake" from some new help in their office, Who apparently added a service charge that is normally only included with new retail sales, not Service. She said she would have caught up in the final paperwork anyway, and I would not have been charged a higher price. Sounds a little sketchy with me, but she made it right (though I have my doubts that would have happened without calling them out). Anyway, now the price is 750 and the warranty is two years. Again, to those in this thread that brought that to my attention so I could realize these benefits, thank you. Another great benefit of this forum.
I'm glad you got it sorted, lesson learned.....I wouldn't go back to the AD in the future just in case. It's cheaper and more care is given to the watch (knowing who's working on it) with CW21 independents that accept mail in.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 10:46 AM   #28
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Good news Brad.
Old 2 May 2017, 10:05 PM   #29
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good news. Yup, you have to keep an eye on these guys.
Old 2 May 2017, 10:25 PM   #30
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Omega charge £470 for an official service in the UK. This is around $600USD.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote