The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2018, 04:36 AM   #1
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
Things are starting to get crazy

Tudor BBN Listed at obscene prices on eBay. There is a new one on a strap for $7800 and a used one for $6500. Who would’ve ever imagined that these would be the going rates. https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tudor-Bla...8AAOSw-31ahxKz
Jcy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:44 AM   #2
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
There were many voices saying buy this watch now over the last year. A Rolex related product that was produced in such short supply is an anomaly. There are $12000 Tudor subs from the 80’s that were produced in unlimited numbers. The time to buy this watch was anytime you saw it for under $5,000. Great investment. The end is near though. There are very few available. I’ve seen a few pop up affordably because the owners didn’t realize what they had and they sold in seconds... I’ve been looking for one myself.
Polarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:48 AM   #3
Drixonite
"TRF" Member

Note that this is the Buy It Now price. Need to search for closed auctions/completed sales.
Old 20 March 2018, 04:53 AM   #4
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I'm kicking myself for not buying it from the AD in November because it was on a strap. Apparently those are selling for more than the bracelet version? Crazy.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:56 AM   #5
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
It will be interesting to see what it actually sells for
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:58 AM   #6
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I'm kicking myself for not buying it from the AD in November because it was on a strap. Apparently those are selling for more than the bracelet version? Crazy.
Well that’s because to collectors the strap card is currency. Plus you can find strapcode bracelets for $55.
Old 20 March 2018, 05:30 AM   #7
Polarbears
Banned

The biggest shame is there are a bunch of Black ETA Pelagos watches out there. There’s just nothing unique about them. Tudor seemed to reserve all the neat vintage aesthetics/attributes to the Black Bay.
Old 20 March 2018, 05:30 AM   #8
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

It was obvious that this would happen as soon as the in-house version was introduced just months after the BBN ETA version came out. 20 years from now these will be very expensive.

Popular model + very short run = collectible
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 05:40 AM   #9
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drixonite View Post
Note that this is the Buy It Now price. Need to search for closed auctions/completed sales.
Bingo!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #10
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I've been seeing these for $3-4k in various classifieds. More expensive than the others for sure, but those eBay prices are very inflated.
Old 20 March 2018, 05:53 AM   #11
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

wOw that is unbelievable to say the least!
Old 20 March 2018, 06:15 AM   #12
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
The seller is from the future.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 06:18 AM   #13
Ballzzz

Looks like one traded via FS section today for $4400 USD
Old 20 March 2018, 06:24 AM   #14
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
They may have more upside than the new, but I'd take the in-house over ETA any day. ETA is everywhere in varying quality watches and brands and has been for years
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 06:38 AM   #15
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
They may have more upside than the new, but I'd take the in-house over ETA any day. ETA is everywhere in varying quality watches and brands and has been for years
From a performance perspective hands down the in house has a longer power reserve that is a given BUT the ETA is a highly modified workhorse with proven reliability and cheaper maintenance.

Put the movement talk aside this is more about the limited run with the beautiful aesthetics and the thinner case. Add up all of these variables, which only happen every so often and this is why you have what we are seeing unfold right before our eyes.
Old 20 March 2018, 06:46 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
From a performance perspective hands down the in house has a longer power reserve that is a given BUT the ETA is a highly modified workhorse with proven reliability and cheaper maintenance.

Put the movement talk aside this is more about the limited run with the beautiful aesthetics and the thinner case. Add up all of these variables, which only happen every so often and this is why you have what we are seeing unfold right before our eyes.
I agree with your perspective. I'd never take the ETA version though. Don't consider a limited run ETA version desirable at this stage in the industry movement evolution. It's too new, to be an attractive alternative to the Zenith powered Daytona in my mind. I'd also, never touch an ETA IWC or one from any other high quality brand, so take this with a grain of salt.

I appreciate collector items. A rare Patek in SS I find desirable. I relatively rare Tudor with ETA, not so much though.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 06:49 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Seller's chancing their arm in this buoyant market, while other sellers are desperate to see these sell so they too can raise their prices and lift the market price, so really hope buyers can resist and keep at least this market sane.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 06:59 AM   #18
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I agree with your perspective. I'd never take the ETA version though. Don't consider a limited run ETA version desirable at this stage in the industry movement evolution. It's too new, to be an attractive alternative to the Zenith powered Daytona in my mind. I'd also, never touch an ETA IWC or one from any other high quality brand, so take this with a grain of salt.

I appreciate collector items. A rare Patek in SS I find desirable. I relatively rare Tudor with ETA, not so much though.
I respect your perspective as well. I think the real value is in the dial/case that is why I say ETA/In House don't make a difference imho. We know they cannot make the in house fit into this case so you do not need to worry about that hurting the "value" anytime soon. The only other variable is the rose & smile, which they can always do fairly easy, but again the case will be different with the same dial.

Different strokes for different folks right.
Old 20 March 2018, 07:10 AM   #19
Banned

Friend,, listing price does NOT equal selling price.

I’ll sell you a half empty jug of wine from last week for $376

Is a half empty jug of wine now worth $376?
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 07:28 AM   #20
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I went to a Tudor dealer after the BB in house movements were released. They had several Rose BB's in stock. The sales lady tried to tell me to get one now as it will become collectible. I argued that an ETA would never become collectible when an improved in house movement was available. I chalked it up to "things AD's say". Whoops. Change the category to "things I should listen to and not dismiss without consideration".
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 08:00 AM   #21
Drixonite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.2 View Post
Friend,, listing price does NOT equal selling price.

I’ll sell you a half empty jug of wine from last week for $376

Is a half empty jug of wine now worth $376?
OP don't buy from this guy, I will sell you half full for $500
Old 20 March 2018, 08:02 AM   #22
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Funny because I saw one at an AD last week for $3100. One of my Vegas buddy’s picked it up.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 08:14 AM   #23
liuk3
"TRF" Member

I don't think I've really looked at watch prices in a few years. I just came back to this forum to see what the latest news is, and I can't believe how much watch prices have appreciated over the past few years for the watches I own and the watches that I have been waiting to acquire. Absolutely nuts. The good thing is that the ones that I have been waiting to acquire have just priced me out of wanting to buy them, so I save money. LOL.

When I bought my Tudor BBN ETA, I just liked the look better. It was my first (and only) Tudor. Boggles my mind that people would pay a premium for an inferior version compared to the superior current in-house movement version. But, I guess this business of watch purchases is not a logical past time...

I guess the only thing I seemed to have learned is to buy what you really want sooner rather than later since the prices will likely only increase over time.
Old 20 March 2018, 08:33 AM   #24
Polarbears
Banned

Take it from me.... One must own the Black Rose. That said the best solution is to own both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 March 2018, 08:34 AM   #25
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
"Offered at" is not a transaction.
Old 20 March 2018, 09:34 AM   #26
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Buy it now price means absolutely nothing on ebay, you always get someone chancing it. Hit the completed listings check box and prices in green are the sold price. Most are sold sub 3k.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:01 AM   #27
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcy90 View Post
Tudor BBN Listed at obscene prices on eBay. There is a new one on a strap for $7800 and a used one for $6500. Who would’ve ever imagined that these would be the going rates. https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tudor-Bla...8AAOSw-31ahxKz
Anyone can ask for any price! Doesn’t mean they can get it!
Old 20 March 2018, 11:11 AM   #28
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcy90 View Post
Color me ignorant but what makes this ETA-movement watch special??? I'm not asking to be difficult, I just don't understand as a non-Tudor follower...
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:24 AM   #29
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Daley View Post
Color me ignorant but what makes this ETA-movement watch special??? I'm not asking to be difficult, I just don't understand as a non-Tudor follower...
It's special because people think it's special (perceived scarcity due to limited run production), but it's not really anything special (particularly to someone who would not appreciate the particular model). Kind of like that saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
Old 20 March 2018, 11:41 AM   #30
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
As others have suggested the listed price us just that. Very surprised if anyone in their right mind pays that price for an ETA movement that is essentially made by Swatch!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote