The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 18 January 2008, 02:56 AM   #1
rocklee_27
"TRF" Member

are they trustworhty?

I saw there are great saving if you purchase your rolex on some of the reputable online dealer, but my question is if we all know we can make such huge saving from those online dealers why do we still bother to go the instore AD?
I'm sure if the online dealer still make profit from those saving(discount} why can't instore AD do the same thing except they have the overhead cost? By only giving 10%-20% just encourge customers to purchase online, am i right?I mean all we need just to do some reaserch to find a trustworhy online dealers.
My next question is are the parts of the rolex all genuine, no after market pieces if we get them online???
rocklee_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 02:59 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
If you buy Rolex watches from Alan Furman or Swissluxury you can rest assured that you get the real thing, including original parts in them.

But since "Grey Dealers" are not official Rolex dealers, you will have some problems getting the watch serviced under guarantee since they can not fill out the guarantee paper or CCC (credit card certificate) with any AD name since they are not AD's.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are some good on-line dealers, and there are some bad on-line dealers..

Rolex does not "authorize" any sales on the net, so it's best to do your homework on the seller before a purchase..

As to aftermarket parts....It's possible with a used piece, and possibly even the vendor won't kow..

From a reliable dealer, a new watch is the same as you would buy anywhere..

Old 18 January 2008, 03:14 AM   #4
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
I questioned a GD about the "open" papers that his new Rolexes had. "Open" meaning no AD name and no purchaser name. He admitted that the warranty card was worthless...ie Rolex would not honor it. He then said that HE warrantied the watch for 2 years.

Grey dealing can be good....but only if you thoroughly do your homework. TRF is THE best place on the net to do that.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 05:10 AM   #5
BuffaloRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 (blue dial)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
TRF is THE best place on the net to do that.
BuffaloRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Buying a watch on eBay is what originally brought me to TRF. After just a few weeks of cruising around the forum and shopping around I got the right watch at just the right time and saved quite a bit, even a 20% saving off the lowest "grey dealer" prices I saw online.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 05:36 AM   #7
mullman
"TRF" Member

I would never buy a 'near new' watch online and expect warranty service.
I have bought 5 Rolexes new from an AD and just recently bought my first used piece, a cherry Exp-II white face. The watch was already OUT of warranty, but I did get the original paperwork and boxes. I would never do anything else, although I know many people do.
Old 18 January 2008, 05:47 AM   #8
mcampion@epocrates.c

I purchased my wife a DJ at Steindiamonds and saved 20% or so. I immediately took it to a local AD for necessary insurance paperwork and it checked out fine.
mcampion@epocrates.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 06:05 AM   #9
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I would rather pay retail and have the peace of mind that I got the real deal and have the service that comes with it. I have heard too many horror stories about GM's, Ebay fraud and the like. I knew a girl that saved for 2 years (working a 2nd job as a waitress) to buy a Rolex for her dad as a thank-you for putting her through college. It was a fake. She was devastated. To me...it's just not worth it.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 18 January 2008, 06:55 AM   #10
steel4me
Banned

yeah all this 1yr warranty is bunch of crap ... I mean, how many of you have had problems in your first year of ownership? Lets see some hands .. also ROLEX should eliminate the ADs since a lot of them have biased attitude problems and we should buy from ROLEX directly..what's the point of having these middlemen? ... but then the "luxury" feel of the rolex would disappear ... I mean knowing your watch came from factory vs picking it up in person from a nice store that has 4 armed guards is a different feeling .... in both cases you are getting the same watch but in the latter case, you are making memories and buying the whole "buying experience" ...
steel4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 07:16 AM   #11
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I think a good alternative is to find an out of state bricks-and-mortar AD who will ship to you. That way you get the savings (at least tax) along with the peace of mind knowing he's a legitimate dealer you can consult if you have issues.

I feel the same way about buying high ticket items like watches through less than reputable dealers, or at least dealers I don't have a certain comfort level with.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 07:41 AM   #12
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ/SS GMT-IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee_27 View Post
I saw there are great saving if you purchase your rolex on some of the reputable online dealer, but my question is if we all know we can make such huge saving from those online dealers why do we still bother to go the instore AD?
I'm sure if the online dealer still make profit from those saving(discount} why can't instore AD do the same thing except they have the overhead cost? By only giving 10%-20% just encourge customers to purchase online, am i right?I mean all we need just to do some reaserch to find a trustworhy online dealers.
My next question is are the parts of the rolex all genuine, no after market pieces if we get them online???
Do gray dealers offer discounts off of their posted price? If not, then my most recent experiences were that I could get the watches for the same price or cheaper from the AD. The choice was obvious in that situation.
crimscrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2008, 06:16 PM   #13
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
I questioned a GD about the "open" papers that his new Rolexes had. "Open" meaning no AD name and no purchaser name. He admitted that the warranty card was worthless...ie Rolex would not honor it.
Yes, but if the AD name is stamped, which many of the "open" warranty papers are, then you can fill in the buyer name and purchase date. Theoretically, you can still get the Rolex warranty that way. Rolex may ask you for a sales reciept if they think it's fishy, but they might not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel4me View Post
I mean knowing your watch came from factory vs picking it up in person from a nice store that has 4 armed guards is a different feeling .... in both cases you are getting the same watch but in the latter case, you are making memories and buying the whole "buying experience" ...
Judging from member posts, it seems that this is the exception, rather than the rule. The "buying experience" for most folks seems to be actually getting the watch, in spite of the crappy service from snooty, un-knowledgeable AD employees.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2008, 02:51 AM   #14
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Buying a Rolex on line.

I feel on line buying is here to stay and I am possitive that the few watchmakers that look down on on line fine watch purchases will change their minds. The numbers are strong from a few dollars in sales 10 years ago to 600 million 5 years ago to 2.5 billion last year and by 2009 to 10 billion...wow.
Anyway back to your question, there are many sellers that are honest but as with everything else in this life you got to know your seller, how long, how often, how honest has he or she been, you got to see what else has this seller sold, someone with 20 feedbacks from buying and selling 1 to 10 dollar items, suddendly is selling a 6.000 dollar Rolex that would worry me. Also someone that has been inactive for a long period 2 - 3 years and he is now selling a 10.000 Rolex Daytona, I would worry about him too. Once I wanted to buy from a Palm beach dealer a "Green" Sub we agreed on price, but I insisted on meeting personally at my bank's branch in the Palm Beach area, I met a young guy around 19 in flip-flops and immediately red flags went up within my center belly system..lol I looked at the then new in the market Green Submariner and it was a fake. I told him so and left...wasted 2 hours. On the other hand I met some great guys that have elevated customer service to great levels and I do business with them on a regular basis. Usually every one pretty much knows prices. Let me know if you need help, I will provide price information second to none for New or Used Rolex watches, also if it pays to go abroad and buy one. At the moment Europe is out. China maybe, best in my opinion is here in the good old US of A.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2008, 09:26 AM   #15
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
the main thing about buying on-line(i.e. ebay) is to be very careful,
I have bought six rolex watches,four of them where very good deals,however I got burned on two (copies)-so after my loss on those two watches,the money I made on the others more than coverd my loss,but not by much.so it just was not worth the hassle and potential of losing my investment.
cheers
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2008, 11:32 AM   #16
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
I feel on line buying is here to stay and I am possitive that the few watchmakers that look down on on line fine watch purchases will change their minds. The numbers are strong from a few dollars in sales 10 years ago to 600 million 5 years ago to 2.5 billion last year and by 2009 to 10 billion...wow.
Anyway back to your question, there are many sellers that are honest but as with everything else in this life you got to know your seller, how long, how often, how honest has he or she been, you got to see what else has this seller sold, someone with 20 feedbacks from buying and selling 1 to 10 dollar items, suddendly is selling a 6.000 dollar Rolex that would worry me. Also someone that has been inactive for a long period 2 - 3 years and he is now selling a 10.000 Rolex Daytona, I would worry about him too. Once I wanted to buy from a Palm beach dealer a "Green" Sub we agreed on price, but I insisted on meeting personally at my bank's branch in the Palm Beach area, I met a young guy around 19 in flip-flops and immediately red flags went up within my center belly system..lol I looked at the then new in the market Green Submariner and it was a fake. I told him so and left...wasted 2 hours. On the other hand I met some great guys that have elevated customer service to great levels and I do business with them on a regular basis. Usually every one pretty much knows prices. Let me know if you need help, I will provide price information second to none for New or Used Rolex watches, also if it pays to go abroad and buy one. At the moment Europe is out. China maybe, best in my opinion is here in the good old US of A.
from posts of others on TRF, it looks like it pays big time to take your rolex to europe and sell it...on another thread someone said a GMTII-C here selling for $5950 is selling for around $8700 in Europe! Can that be? Hell, that pays for the airfare, some beers, and pocket money too!
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2008, 12:48 PM   #17
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
With all my Rolex watches, I never had any problems or needed service until years after the warranty expired. Rolex makes HMMWVs :) ~Hien
hienpham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2008, 03:34 PM   #18
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
First you got to find the GMT for 5950

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
from posts of others on TRF, it looks like it pays big time to take your rolex to europe and sell it...on another thread someone said a GMTII-C here selling for $5950 is selling for around $8700 in Europe! Can that be? Hell, that pays for the airfare, some beers, and pocket money too!
best,
dan
Yes I agree with you, I am going to Europe 4 times a year, I used to buy a lot there and sell here but with the Euro at 146 cents not much to buy there now although I bought an ex-King Boris of Bulgaria Omega 1933 tacho-telemetric chronograph just 3 months ago, A good place to sell watches bought in America with devalued US dollars is Munich, Germany, every 2 months www.watchfloor.com (WTA) has dealer only shows on Saturdays at the Arabella Sheraton and Sunday is open to the public where more than 2.000 interested Germans come to buy sell or trade any make of a watch that you can think of. Be carefull to declare your watches with customs at the time of exit I think form 4555, because if you do not sell then that's a problem to get them back, if the watches are Rolexes you will develop a headache.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2008, 07:00 AM   #19
kiddoe23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K GMTII GREEN
You have to be very careful when buying on eBay. After much skepticism, I purchased a watch for my wife from 'MVPWatchCo' and could not be more happy! I took the watch to be authenticated and that peace of mind, not to mention the $$$$ I saved, has made me a customer to them for life. There are a few others, but a safe bet would be them.
kiddoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote