The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 2 September 2019, 09:21 AM   #31
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTap View Post
All the bigger chains seem to be the same to me. Established by hard working salespeople, now staffed by hourly employees who don’t really care. Same with Ben Bridge on the west coast. I had to email a receipt to prove I bought a watch from them only to have by contact info thrown into the bin...
this....even the smaller shops, unless you can still manage to find a local mom and pop it seems to be harder and harder to find folks who care.

Sure there are always the exceptions, but on the whole when I go to "chain" dealers it seems like either a revolving door or folks who just don't get excited about what they do unless you're buying something super expensive...can't blame them though as who know what working conditions are like there from a competitive and compensation perspective
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:36 AM   #32
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

What goes around, comes around, they’ll get their’s eventually.
TruthBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:39 AM   #33
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Labor Day weekend brings out retail's best.
So true. She wasn’t high enough to even get out of working on a holiday. Christmas is gonna be brutal for her.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:44 AM   #34
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
this....even the smaller shops, unless you can still manage to find a local mom and pop it seems to be harder and harder to find folks who care.

Sure there are always the exceptions, but on the whole when I go to "chain" dealers it seems like either a revolving door or folks who just don't get excited about what they do unless you're buying something super expensive...can't blame them though as who know what working conditions are like there from a competitive and compensation perspective
Starting to understand the greys... would be great to have a trusted “guy” who I can just call to source me anything at the prevailing market price.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:50 AM   #35
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If she had said "are you in the market for a watch?" would you feel better. Hard to understand all this. Its a scarce market and everybody's nerves are frayed.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:09 AM   #36
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
Born and raised in Wilmington, here. I’m sure you’ve already done so, but check out AR Morris. Generational family business, super friendly, and they’re always happy to talk watches with me, even if it’s about the current shortage.
Good info. That’s where I got my Explorer 1 back in 2016. Very nice folks.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:18 AM   #37
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
If she had said "are you in the market for a watch?" would you feel better. Hard to understand all this. Its a scarce market and everybody's nerves are frayed.
Had she asked that it would have been ok. I walked in and looked at the new case, right away she says we don’t have any professional models, I just walked in, so I looked at what they had, all models no one really wants, talked to her for a few mins, she showed me 1 or 2 watches and I told her what I was looking for, she asked if I wanted to be on the waitlist but what I want is discontinued anyways. So I asked around looked at the Omegas, Tudor’s, then saw the preowned and asked her the prices of the DJII and she said $8750 and then o asked about the Milgauss, she showed that to me, and then said “are you going to buy a watch.”
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:51 AM   #38
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTap View Post
All the bigger chains seem to be the same to me. Established by hard working salespeople, now staffed by hourly employees who don’t really care. Same with Ben Bridge on the west coast. I had to email a receipt to prove I bought a watch from them only to have by contact info thrown into the bin...

Ben bridge is full of snobby prick sales people. Especially the one in topanga mall in Woodland Hills. Have had zero luck there on anything. They do you a favor by talking to you. Get my watches from out of state AD since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 11:23 AM   #39
kypt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I've talked to her before. Not the friendliest for sure.

I popped in a couple months ago to kill some time and get an update on the Sub I'm on the list for there, and had a good experience with a guy there, forgot his name, but reminded me of an old hippy type guy.

Super friendly dude, handed me any watch I showed interest in without me asking, and just chatted about watches.

They get absolutely hammered there with requests for Rolex. Between the Asian tourists (every single time I've been in there the Rolex counter is crowded with Asian tourists) and people from PA, MD, and NY/NJ looking to save on sales tax, it must get frustrating for them saying no to people all day.
kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 11:41 AM   #40
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypt View Post
I've talked to her before. Not the friendliest for sure.

I popped in a couple months ago to kill some time and get an update on the Sub I'm on the list for there, and had a good experience with a guy there, forgot his name, but reminded me of an old hippy type guy.

Super friendly dude, handed me any watch I showed interest in without me asking, and just chatted about watches.

They get absolutely hammered there with requests for Rolex. Between the Asian tourists (every single time I've been in there the Rolex counter is crowded with Asian tourists) and people from PA, MD, and NY/NJ looking to save on sales tax, it must get frustrating for them saying no to people all day.
I think that guy was there, doesn’t he have a ponytail? Older guys?
Old 2 September 2019, 12:06 PM   #41
kypt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex74 View Post
I think that guy was there, doesn’t he have a ponytail? Older guys?
Yea, older guy with ponytail.
kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 12:36 PM   #42
billfredericks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Call the manager. Tell them that you spoke with a salesperson about buying every watch in the case, but she said you’d have to take a Daytona off their hands first.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 02:06 PM   #43
Jerz616
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex74 View Post
Had she asked that it would have been ok. I walked in and looked at the new case, right away she says we don’t have any professional models, I just walked in, so I looked at what they had, all models no one really wants, talked to her for a few mins, she showed me 1 or 2 watches and I told her what I was looking for, she asked if I wanted to be on the waitlist but what I want is discontinued anyways. So I asked around looked at the Omegas, Tudor’s, then saw the preowned and asked her the prices of the DJII and she said $8750 and then o asked about the Milgauss, she showed that to me, and then said “are you going to buy a watch.”

Was it the older lady? They have a few woman that work there. There is a gentleman named John that works there part time, and he is prob their best person. I went in to buy my polar exp2 from him in March of last year and he wasn’t in so the old lady was the only one there. I asked to see a couple of pieces and she seemed very put out as it was right when they were opening. When she handed me the polar I put it on and said I’ll take it, and she perked right up and was super friendly after that. Totally pissed me off how she was at first but I wasn’t going to let the watch go. John called about several other models that I wanted when they came in and when I went in to pick up my black GMT last October she saw me and hurried over and I said “I’m sorry, I’m here to see John”, and she stormed off. John took care of me and has offered me several others since. I’ll only deal with him or Bobby over at AR Morris in Greenville. He’s another great salesperson. We had a ring for my wife made and they were great the whole process.
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 02:15 PM   #44
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

While Rolex is winning the supply and demand game, they are losing the PR game by having people like this represent their brand. I can't see how this can possibly be deemed acceptable by any standard. Can you imagine walking into a LV boutique and be treated this way? One call to management and things get sorted out quick, but not with Rolex. This turns people off not only to the specific AD but to the brand as a whole.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 05:40 PM   #45
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

There is very little excuse, perhaps no excuse for unfriendly salespeople. Can you imagine how many people come thru the door each day at the Mall where this AD is to just kick tires or to ask "do you have any SS professional models in stock"? Lots of people not just forum members know of the Rolex shortage of hot models, so perhaps she thought she was doing you a favor and told you upfront there are no SS professional models. I suspect these salespeople are on a base plus commission. If that is the case, then they don't want to spend an hour with you discussing something they cannot deliver. Hey, they are entitled to earn a living and also frustrated they cannot deliver what a customer wants, the Rolex shortage is hurting them also. Perhaps another way to look at it.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 08:29 PM   #46
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Ridiculous. As if one should wear their Sunday best when frequenting a jeweler!
I totally agree, you as the customer can wear what the hell you like to go shopping, after all it is your money they want not what you are wearing.

But, impressions count, you get one chance to make an initial impression, if you turn up in a pair of torn dirty denim shorts and a grubby t-shirt the SA may get the impression from your clothes that you don't have the money to buy the goods they sell and that you are just wasting their time, hence the attitude.

Now if you turn up looking as though you are out to shop and buy, you may only be wearing a pair of jeans and a casual shirt but those differences can make view your appearance in the shop in a different light and how the SA deals with you.

It isn't right, and you shouldn't be judged on your visual appearance, but you will be judged and that initial impression that the store makes when you walk into the shop counts for a lot. A good store shouldn't allow it happen and it won't happen everywhere but it does happen.

Once you have a relationship with the store and they know you then you can get away with the shorts and t-shirt.
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:27 PM   #47
Unclebuck
"TRF" Member

I've always had a good experience in Boston. I'll stay with them.
Unclebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:34 PM   #48
Brew
"TRF" Member

You were looking to waste her time, and she knew it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:36 PM   #49
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
You were looking to waste her time, and she knew it.

Not really, how do you know I was not looking to buy, she came to me, I was just looking, we had some chit chat, saw a couple, and it was not that far into the visit when she said "are you going to buy a watch", so maybe after that comment I decided not to buy anything.

Whether I was there to buy or not is irrelevant, the store had one couple looking at Tudors, and then it was me, sometimes if you treat people well and hold a conversation it could turn to a sale, you can't just assume after a few minutes of talk the customer is not buying anything. I wanted to buy the SS DJII they had in preowned, but just said no to myself nope not doing it.
Old 2 September 2019, 10:40 PM   #50
Brew
"TRF" Member

OK, perhaps you were not “looking to waste her time,” but that’s what you were doing. How much time did she need to spend with you, to make you happy?

Old 2 September 2019, 11:14 PM   #51
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK, perhaps you were not “looking to waste her time,” but that’s what you were doing. How much time did she need to spend with you, to make you happy?

It has nothing to do with time spent, from the moment I walked in I could feel how she did not want to be bothered with me. Bottom line is you never know who is going to buy and who is not, don't just assume. When her first comment is "we do not have any professional models", said with somewhat of an attitude, it does not set a good first impression. The next guy in that she says that to may not even care, maybe they wanted the YG Sub that was in the case, never assume what people want. They also sell Omega, maybe I was there to buy one of those, the way you walk in takes you to Rolex and around, at least that is how I went.
Old 2 September 2019, 11:18 PM   #52
Brew
"TRF" Member

Your “feeling” is your problem. She gave you the information you needed right up front, and still you are not happy. What will it take?

Old 2 September 2019, 11:35 PM   #53
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your “feeling” is your problem. She gave you the information you needed right up front, and still you are not happy. What will it take?

She did not even know if I wanted a Rolex, people naturally go to their right, that is the way I went and I just looked (glanced really) in the case and she said "we do not have an professional models", she had no idea if I was there for a Rolex, an Omega, a Tudor, Diamond Earrings, etc.
Old 4 September 2019, 08:17 AM   #54
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

I had sent a message to them via facebook, they reached out today and I talked to the asst manager, she was very apologetic and wanted to know what happened, we talked about Rolex and had a nice conversation. There was a SS DJ II white dial fluted bezel that was nice, she offered to give me a nice discount.