The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 19 July 2016, 05:51 AM   #1
avusblue
"TRF" Member

A "softer side" review of the 16570 Polar Explorer II

Well, I’ve been enjoying my Rolex ref. 16570, 40mm “Polar” Explorer II, greatly. I suggest that this model has already become a classic . . . . even though it’s kind of an oddball in their historic lineup, and one of the least-frequently seen Rolexes. Many volumes have already been written about this piece -- so what can I add? Probably not much, as far as facts and figures are concerned. So I will instead attempt to share some of my “feelings” and “soft side” impressions of the EXP2, versus posting a review focused purely on the hard facts. My “Softer Side” review of the 114060 SubC (here) has generated tens of thousands of views and over a hundred comments, so I figured another one on the EXP2 might be well received also.

So -- on to the watch itself. Love the classic fit, classic dimensions, classic look and classic tapered-lug proportions. The brushed bezel catches the light and plays beautifully with it, and has a high-polished outer edge that often isn't very visible in head-on photos, but shows really well on the wrist. Without the usual crenellated rotating bezel, this watch is slim, sleek, subtle…. easily slidable under a cuff. The EXP2 "wears" very well! Extremely comfortable and modern-sized, it basically wears like a slightly larger five-digit DateJust.

The snowy white dial is this watch's signature feature, and it has a real "pop" I've never enjoyed before in a sports Rolex. Its timetelling is extremely legible when contrasted with the vividness of the black hands and markers. I have found it to be definitely more legible than a glossy black dial Sub with chromed hands. The red 24-hour/GMT hand keeps things from being totally monochromatic, and adds that touch of jaunty verve that we all like. There is a multifaceted dimensionality to the dial and markers that doesn't come across well in photos, but makes it surprisingly complex and interesting to look at and study, especially when viewing at an oblique angle.

The lume on this watch (a "T" serial) is creamy vanilla tritium that's a different shade than the stark milky white of the dial; it looks beautiful, but it doesn't have much glow left. That element, combined with the non-SEL bracelet and the lug holes in the case, all add up to give this piece a real aura of vintage charm. It feels to me like a modern classic -- it conveys an authentic feeling vintagey vibe, but without seeming at all quaint or antique.

As the junior brother of the classic 16710 GMT-II, the EXP2 has been kind of a revelation to me in one additional way. The Rolex crenellated rotating bezel is definitely a signature feature of the majority of the Sports line. It's also what makes them so identifiably Rolex. As much as I've liked the other sports Rolexes I've had along the journey, it kinda feels like this feature has been overexposed to me by this point. I actually like not having it on the EXP2. Its lack of having one is what "makes" this watch. It makes it slim, sleek, subtle, so slidable under a cuff. With the benefit of the detachable hour hand and the 4th GMT hand. Best of all worlds?

This piece strikes me with an interesting lesson. Rolex watches can present a paradox, in the sense that after you have handled quite a few models, from different eras, you realize that the newest models may be technically “better”.... but aren’t always the most lovable. I've gotten so used to the newest, most modern, Rolexes, it's created the result of also getting used to assuming their superiority in so many features and the things they do well. For example, comparing this watch to the 114060 SubC, it is hard to argue with all the tangible improvements Rolex has made versus past generations, and on paper the new watches blow every older model away. The raw quality, execution, and fit & finish has improved on the new models. But in the flesh, there is something really appealing and endearing on a sort of visceral level of the five-digit Explorer II. The thinner case. The classic, tapered, graceful proportions. The lighter bracelet with a little more "give" in its construction that enhances its wearing comfort. The thinner, more gracious, almost delicate, hands and markers. The "un-maxi-ness" of the whole package is now almost nostalgic in a way, and creates a very appealing whole.

Don't get me wrong, the new model Rolexes are of course hellaciously great watches. The SubC feels so solid it borders on amazing, just relentlessly spot-on perfect in every element and detail. But I'm still attracted to the lightness, wearability, and efficiency of the older designs. As a specific example: nobody can deny that the SubC clasp is probably the most thoroughly engineered, best executed, coolest, clasp in all of watchdom. Meanwhile, the stamped "tuna can" fliplock clasp on the EXP2 is so small, so simple, so light, so easily adjustable, so non-bulky and non-blocky, and it just works so damn well. It reminds me how often, the best and most practical solution can be the simplest solution…. and that intrinsic simplicity itself can bestow clear aesthetic appeal in its own right.

One last endearing point. Check out the high-tech tool you can use to fine-tune the EXPII’s bracelet fit….try that with a GlideLock!!

And, for fun, I bought a good quality generic Jubilee bracelet over a year ago when I first purchased this EXP2, but never took it out of the package until recently. It's super comfy and lightweight and I do think it looks great on the wrist against the Polar Explorer. The end links it came with were meant for a DateJust and didn't perfectly fit the contour of the 40mm EXP2 case to my liking, so instead I just used my original all-brushed Oyster end links, which you can see. They fit properly, but I admit they look a little bit odd.

I forgot how loosey-goosey, lacey, & charming, a Jubilee wears. By no means will this be a permanent change. Just thought it would be fun to give it a little try for variety's sake!

So that’s my “right side of the brain” evaluation of the Polar Explorer II. Sure, it stands on its own merits as a watch with aesthetic and technical excellence. Yet, it's also a watch I have really fallen in love with for emotional reasons….perhaps somewhat warmly and inexplicably. Versus being a watch with that level of total, relentless, modern perfection that cold logic dictates that you'd better force yourself to like.

Overall, I suggest that all things considered, as it sits, this could very well be one of the most satisfying and enjoyable watches I’ve had the pleasure to experience. And I suggest that, in this day and age of a phone in every pocket, digital time on every screen, smartwatches, etc etc -- to me, much of the pleasure gained from wearing an “old school” watch is when it brings aesthetic enjoyment and appreciation right to your wrist. And the Explorer II does that with distinction.

Your thoughts??

Last edited by avusblue; 19 July 2016 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Corected a mispeling.
avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 12:55 PM   #2
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Nice review. My Polar Exp II gets more wrist time than any other.
Old 19 July 2016, 01:15 PM   #3
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

I love it, have had my eye on one for a long time.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 01:49 PM   #4
powerband
"TRF" Member

Another fine review. This generation of the ExpII has great proportion and fit -- beautiful! It looks great on your wrist and I've always liked it.
powerband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 02:08 PM   #5
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Another great review from Avusblue. Very detailed and great pictures! Thanks.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 02:21 PM   #6
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Excellent Review. Thanks for sharing.
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2016, 10:49 PM   #7
avusblue
"TRF" Member

This one still brings a smile to my face every time I put it on.

Old 4 August 2016, 11:22 AM   #8
aekdb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Excellent review....I have been looking at Explorer II for a while
aekdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2016, 12:01 PM   #9
DECR
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AL&S,AP,Rolex
Great review! Love mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.0 KB, 2156 views)
DECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 03:17 AM   #10
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
Thanks for the great review. Did you try your 16570 on any leather bands?

How bad is your tritium lume? I also have a 16570 with polar white dial with tritium markers. My watch has no lume left. Which is suprising to me, as I owned couple of vintage Omega Seamaster 300s (which were about 15 years older than the Explorer II). Still, those watches had just a tiny lume when I exposed them to light (and this lume disappeared quickly). The lume on my 16570, on the other hand, is completely dead.
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 01:30 AM   #11
avusblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyj28 View Post
Excellent review....I have been looking at Explorer II for a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECR View Post
Great review! Love mine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by htbilgic View Post
Thanks for the great review. Did you try your 16570 on any leather bands?

How bad is your tritium lume? I also have a 16570 with polar white dial with tritium markers. My watch has no lume left. Which is suprising to me, as I owned couple of vintage Omega Seamaster 300s (which were about 15 years older than the Explorer II). Still, those watches had just a tiny lume when I exposed them to light (and this lume disappeared quickly). The lume on my 16570, on the other hand, is completely dead.
Thanks for the comments, guys. My watch's tritium lume does still have a small amount of glow left . . . . I expect in a couple years or so, it'll be totally dead. It's no matter to me, when this watch looks so darned good!:

I've not tried this EXP2 on a leather strap, because experience has taught me that -- at least to my taste -- a Rolex just looks best and feels "right" on its bracelet.

Cheers
Dave
Old 18 August 2016, 04:39 AM   #12
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
Thanks for the info, Dave. Enjoy your 16570 in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
Thanks for the comments, guys. My watch's tritium lume does still have a small amount of glow left . . . . I expect in a couple years or so, it'll be totally dead. It's no matter to me, when this watch looks so darned good!:

I've not tried this EXP2 on a leather strap, because experience has taught me that -- at least to my taste -- a Rolex just looks best and feels "right" on its bracelet.

Cheers
Dave
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 02:35 AM   #13
manilenyo
"TRF" Member

Great read. Thanks for sharing.
manilenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 10:38 AM   #14
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review and photos!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 01:34 PM   #15
doubleosullivan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner,
Great review. I always come back to this watch. It's also under priced IMHO.
Old 23 September 2016, 10:37 AM   #16
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Fantastic review! This watch has been on my radar ever since I tried it on briefly a few years back. It was one of the few that have been on my wrist where I could tell immediately that the comfort level when sized correctly would be superb.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on its comfort level vs your 114060. The SubC is beautiful and I had one almost two years ago. As much as I love that watch, it was never comfortable enough for me. I think this was mainly due to the larger crown and its positioning against the back of my hand. I've never felt that in any way with the five digit ExpII or GMT's I've worn.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 06:29 AM   #17
tommywerdz
"TRF" Member

Great review, I can't wait to pick one of these up! I'm having a hard time choosing a polar or black dial, but I can't really go wrong! They are both beautiful!
tommywerdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 06:35 AM   #18
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
great review

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 10:30 AM   #19
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
This was my first trip to the review section of this forum, and this was a damned fine review of a piece I've been pining after ever since I learned about it. You, Sir, have just triggered my wallet reflex. Good form, Dave. Good form.
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2016, 08:14 AM   #20
braxd
Banned

Excellent Review.
braxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 12:40 AM   #21
weeone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 37.5
How do you think this would wear on a lady with 6" wrists? Lovely photos and writeup btw!
weeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2016, 10:51 AM   #22
tomilg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, SD4K
Weeone, I think it would wear well on a small wrist! It's just such a simple clean watch.......and yes, I think it's currently undervalued in today's market.

tomilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 07:59 PM   #23
Ticked_off
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeone View Post
How do you think this would wear on a lady with 6" wrists? Lovely photos and writeup btw!
Looks great. My girlfriend wears it all the time on her 6.5" wrist

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Ticked_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 12:18 PM   #24
173rdabn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
absolutely spot on!!! My 16570 SEL polar is my favorite watch of all time.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 02:28 PM   #25
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review, photos! I love my Polar 16570 also!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 01:03 PM   #26
adnjoo
"TRF" Member

Great review! The 16570 polar is my favourite Rolex! I miss my old polar and am probably gonna get another one soon :)
adnjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 11:27 PM   #27
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
The polar Explorer II was the first Rolex I wanted. When the AD couldn't get enough to satisfy its waiting list (back in the late 90s), they offered to refund my money (I'd paid in full!). I spied an SS/PL Yachtie in the window, loved it, paid the diff, and have loved that Yacht-Master (which I still wear and still love) since.

But I've always had a soft spot for the polar Explorer II. When I got the GMT bug again I went with the BLNR. After this review, the beautiful Exp II will be on my shortlist for the future.

Thank you for an awesome review!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 10:47 AM   #28
173rdabn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Nice review, I agree with it totally. Love my Polar 16570. Daily wearer in spite of other choices.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 09:24 PM   #29
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Great review! I'm looking for a clean example as we speak.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 03:25 PM   #30
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

Excellent review, and great perspective. Helped tide me over until my 16570 arrives tomorrow!
TudorTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote