The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2023, 02:45 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Help me understand this RSC experience

While adjusting my Pelagos, I accidentally damaged the screws on some links.

I decided it was best to take it to the Rolex Service Center. The staff there were friendly and helped me resize it properly.

I asked if I could get replacement screws for those I damaged (I was happy to pay for them if needed).

I was then told no, they couldn't give me any new screws for removed links - you know, the ones they just removed...

I questioned the sense of this and said wait, what if I asked to add the links back to my watch, could I get new screws then?

They said yes to this - they'd have to reattach the links and any further resizing would depend on the 'watchmaker's discretion'...

So basically, it seems my choices were to either have replaced screws or a sized bracelet, but not both.

I couldn't help but feel a bit puzzled by this.

Should a replacement part be determined by a customer's wrist size instead of the full set of what they initially purchased (and have in their possession)?

They ultimately ordered the screws for me because I said I'll add the links back.

It remains to be seen what kind of mood the watchmaker is in the day I pick them up, and whether I'll have to go elsewhere for sizing...

UPDATE

I followed up with RSC customer service and they've since reached out with a common sense solution.

I think my situation fell into a gray area where it triggered a policy that is meant to guard against something else (i.e. people trying to buy loose replacement parts), but didn't make sense for my particular situation.

Have to say, I'm really impressed with how quickly and professionally RSC handled it.

Last edited by IR201; 28 July 2023 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: Update
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:15 AM   #2
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Ask your AD for screws. I’ve asked before and gotten them without questions
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:17 AM   #3
IR201
"TRF" Member

Alright, update.

I followed up with RSC customer service and they've since reached out with a common sense solution.

I think my situation fell into a gray area where it triggered a policy that is meant to guard against something else (i.e. people trying to buy loose replacement parts), but didn't make sense for my particular situation.

Have to say, I'm really impressed with how quickly and professionally RSC handled it.
Old 28 July 2023, 03:29 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

Probably a policy that makes a lot of sense on PM models, where extra intact links go for hundreds each (or more). Hence why a couple links often missing when buying those on secondary market.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:32 AM   #5
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I have always found RSC to be professional and responsive. Took brand new OF Daytona in to them asking for them to replace OF bands that came with the watch with ones that fit my wrist since I had just bought it and keep the originals that were untouched. That became a policy discussion on cost, but in the end they did it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:02 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

All is well that ends well. Yeah, sometimes weird grey areas happen, and obviously why human common sense prevails.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:13 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Did you tell us what the commonsense solution was? I am assuming they replaced the damaged screws. They usually keep all damaged parts anyway, so it should not have made any difference.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:28 AM   #8
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Did you tell us what the commonsense solution was? I am assuming they replaced the damaged screws. They usually keep all damaged parts anyway, so it should not have made any difference.
Yeah, I need to bring the watch and the removed link back (so they are not giving a loose part), and they'll replace the screw on the removed link without putting the link back into the watch.
Old 28 July 2023, 04:31 AM   #9
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
This entire thread makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 05:18 AM   #10
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Yeah, I need to bring the watch and the removed link back (so they are not giving a loose part), and they'll replace the screw on the removed link without putting the link back into the watch.
And here I was thinking that they were just little, stupid screws that no one would care about.
Old 28 July 2023, 05:28 AM   #11
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
And here I was thinking that they were just little, stupid screws that no one would care about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 July 2023, 12:02 PM   #12
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
what a dilemma
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:44 AM   #13
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
what a dilemma
Apologies it doesn't rival the usual matters of consequence on here, like what color bezel for a sub
Old 29 July 2023, 04:48 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I had to read it a few times

Keep trying
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:54 AM   #15
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I had to read it a few times

Keep trying
Lol sorry Brian (and all). The sad part is I actually tried my best. In my defense I think part of the challenge was that the situation itself made no sense!
Old 29 July 2023, 05:23 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Lol sorry Brian (and all). The sad part is I actually tried my best. In my defense I think part of the challenge was that the situation itself made no sense!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:21 AM   #17
Normunds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

It’s simple- someone bought watch, effd up bracelet screws, asked rsc to replace them, they said no.

Normunds is offline   Reply With Quote