The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 9 March 2020, 02:43 AM   #61
ahandle
"TRF" Member

I have always liked Grand Seiko then again, I've been a fan of seikos for a long time. Excellent engineering in a watch.
ahandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 03:09 AM   #62
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsbeers View Post
Amazing watches, but as long as they say Seiko on the dial there is going to be a stigma.
For some, a stigma. For others, a plus.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 07:05 AM   #63
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Heirloom watches
Old 9 March 2020, 07:26 AM   #64
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Just picked up my 3rd. Sbgr305

Let one go and lost the other to my woman who decided she liked it. :)

One of my favorite details is it’s quality of build and the fact that it is so under the radar.
Old 11 March 2020, 10:19 AM   #65
outdoors_guy
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko is phenomenal - they have a lot of innovation and great finishing. While the springdrive movement is divisive in the WIS crowd, I think few will argue that it is a major innovation in watch movements. Also their 9F quartz movements are among the best quartz movements on the market. Not many quartz movements can move giant hands, but the 9F has the torque to do so, not to mention the high accuracy.
outdoors_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 03:07 PM   #66
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y

Under the radar, 100m WR and lugholes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 84371308-B08F-4EAE-8210-4DF46786B0F2.jpeg (167.1 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpeg A2A8E68E-1799-412E-B09F-271765A4EAD0.jpeg (169.9 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpeg 86ED5314-1CE7-4100-92C3-6BE7C7E346BC.jpeg (197.8 KB, 645 views)
Old 11 March 2020, 07:45 PM   #67
Trog
Banned

Still smitten:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z0r.jpg (292.2 KB, 632 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 06:23 AM   #68
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Here’s my take. Grand Seiko has highly innovative and accurate movement. It’s finish is exquisite. It’s entirely watchmaker manufactured and watchmaker serviced. The finish is on par with what you would get out of a piece 3-4 times it’s price point. People are catching on, as the limited pieces, once seles have been depleted, are going for almost 150% MSRP. At least for its steel pieces, you cannot get any better at a sub 10,000 price.

However, one if the downsides I’ve seen with GS so far is that people mainly buy these for their finish, and many of their offerings aren’t daily wears. So wearing the GS every day and getting it scuffed, scratched, and adorned with a patina from constant use is not celebrated as much as it is for other brands. That being said, their watches are certainly capable of being worn as sports pieces, as is evident with the screw down crown.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 09:02 AM   #69
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Still smitten:
Liked this one more than I expected. I just don't get the 2k price increase over the Lions mane and without a bracelet but still a fantastic watch.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2020, 02:46 AM   #70
pradeepraavi
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of 'em
Absolutely love the brand.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ZiY_HnnK-/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whirl.JPG (124.9 KB, 595 views)
pradeepraavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2020, 06:35 AM   #71
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I don't know where else you can find GS level of quality and attention to detail at GS's price point.

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 02:26 PM   #72
Jeelan
"TRF" Member

Being where I am, I’ve never had the chance to inspect a GS in person so have always hesitated buying. I’m just wondering if their mechanical movements (spring drive excluded as it stands on its own from an innovation perspective) hv any innovative or uniquely Seiko engineering in them? What is their escapement? Are they a free sprung balance? Is the rotor ball bearing / bi-winding?

Just curious as there doesnt seem to be a lot of technical reviews on the GS mechanical movements - certainly none from watchmakers that I’m aware of.....

Cheers
Jeelan
Jeelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 03:18 PM   #73
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeelan View Post
Being where I am, I’ve never had the chance to inspect a GS in person so have always hesitated buying. I’m just wondering if their mechanical movements (spring drive excluded as it stands on its own from an innovation perspective) hv any innovative or uniquely Seiko engineering in them? What is their escapement? Are they a free sprung balance? Is the rotor ball bearing / bi-winding?

Just curious as there doesnt seem to be a lot of technical reviews on the GS mechanical movements - certainly none from watchmakers that I’m aware of.....

Cheers
Jeelan
It's worth looking into the history of Seiko movements, especially Grand and King Seiko in the 1960s-70s. They were more advanced than Rolex even back then. For example, Seiko introduced quick-set dates about 15 years before Rolex, in 1963.

They basically blew the Swiss out of the water in Chronometer competition, and by the end of the 1960s the Swiss were putting up quartz movements against Seiko mechanicals.

This video explains that.

"Seiko at Astronomical Observatory Chronometer competitions - or - How the Swiss lost their honor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUT5WfkHrA&t=13s
Old 24 March 2020, 09:47 AM   #74
Gerry.GEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1 Mk2
Most GS are great watches for the money.

I've owed three and just acquired this keeper. Although I've always taken advantage of the steep depreciation in the used market I feel that they should hold their value better than they do. +- 10 sec/yr. Good enough for me and I've owned a 9F before and the battery change is the same as any other watch. Unlike a Breitling SQ which is very expensive to change the battery (by design, I believe).

maybe in the future, people will have a greater appreciation for the brand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS.filter.small.jpg (56.8 KB, 551 views)
Gerry.GEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 06:50 PM   #75
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
GS Perception

I have owned GS watches for probably 15 years. I currently just own this one SBGA031 GS Spring Drive Diver. I have owned one other model Spring Drive GMT SBGE015, but sold it. I also own two high end Seiko Japanese Domestic Marinemaster models. They are all fantastic watches and pretty much hold their own with other swiss watches that I have including Rolex models. The only general area that I do not think is quite there yet is the bracelets. Most are using a pin and collar to join the links, which I don't care much for.

HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 03:51 AM   #76
TAKUYA
⭐⭐⭐⭐2024 DATE-JUST41 sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Message from CEO

TAKUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 04:34 AM   #77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKUYA View Post
Message from CEO
Great message and vision. Thanks for sharing.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 02:26 AM   #78
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

I'm enjoying my Snowflake more than the Explorer 214270 I owned, and it cost over a thousand dollars less. Likewise, I enjoy the Snowflake way more than the OP 39s I owned. I would say all are in a similar price range and to me, the Snowflake blows them away in every sense. I lost plenty of money on my Rolexs, but haven't lost a cent on my Snowflake... because out of the many many watches I have owned, this one has stayed.
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 03:04 AM   #79
Mifune
Banned

I love GS... and some parts of Seiko (mainly the higher end pieces).

The issue I see from my perspective as I consider a GS pieces is, that the pricings are inflated in valuation in comparison to other established makers at the same level. certainly very few can touch the hand finish qualities but you are going to pay for that at MSRP.

Also, they seem to loose significant value post MSRP which compounds that initial purchase.

the last thing is, there are TO MANY references... it dilutes the brand just as it has done with other manufacturers.

if you really want a piece, none of this should matter, but they are always a consideration.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:25 PM   #80
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It's worth looking into the history of Seiko movements, especially Grand and King Seiko in the 1960s-70s. They were more advanced than Rolex even back then. For example, Seiko introduced quick-set dates about 15 years before Rolex, in 1963.

They basically blew the Swiss out of the water in Chronometer competition, and by the end of the 1960s the Swiss were putting up quartz movements against Seiko mechanicals.

This video explains that.

"Seiko at Astronomical Observatory Chronometer competitions - or - How the Swiss lost their honor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUT5WfkHrA&t=13s
Great video Adam. I’m really enjoying learning more and more about the history.
Old 7 May 2020, 01:51 PM   #81
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I only care how I perceive them.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 03:52 PM   #82
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
The spring drive is second hand sweep pr0n.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 07:21 AM   #83
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
The only thing putting me off about them is the lack of lume on the models I would be interested in purchasing. Otherwise, I have a very high opinion of them in general. Maybe someday.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 07:51 AM   #84
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I love them, and love Seiko, but feel the current range lacks the perfect proportions and detailing of the vintage models.

That said, the recent releases have been steps in the right direction so I’m cautiously optimistic.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 07:14 AM   #85
Oneallen
"TRF" Member

Love GS keeps doing its thing.
Oneallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 06:41 AM   #86
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Perception of Grand Seikos?

The subliminal messaging occurring in the WRUW threads finally got to me. I now own two GSs. One a battery powered 9F and the second a spring drive powered 9R). I see many things about the brand I like but the difficulty I have is finding details about their capabilities. They are a bit mystical from that perspective. For example does anyone know a good place to search for things like shock resistance and service interval time? I also see varying information on accuracy depending on the source (at least for the spring drive).

At any rate this is a nice thread for getting a bit oriented on the brand. I thought it was worth reviving. Below are my forays into the brand.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 08:49 AM   #87
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

GS has captured me for first their level of technological innovation with spring drive - you can’t get a clean sweep on the seconds like that in any other watch in the world. It’s also dead silent because there’s no escapement, which is weirdly fascinating. Secondly their level of finish, which is crazy good.

Lastly - they definitely feel like an “engineering first” company, and having worked a lot with Japanese customers, I know how much they labor over quality. So a company that is engineering and quality focused - it’s hard not to love given I’m a mechanical engineer myself.

I can’t say I’m one of those folks that love how “sleeper” it is. I do wish they did better marketing. But if i had to choose between focusing on the product vs. marketing, then product all day. But can’t they do both?

Last point - it’s only been 2 years since they separated out GS as it’s own entity. And the brand has been skyrocketing. I think if they do two things, GS will be on another level:

1. Get their spring drive movement in the 11-12 mm range. This includes complications beyond just date.
2. Improve their marketing.
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 12:01 PM   #88
wrx04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I only care how I perceive them.
I agree. That said, how do you perceive them?
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:46 AM   #89
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
I have to admit, I am a fan of many GS. How are they generally perceived by other members on this forum and watch collectors? They seem to be built like tanks but also very nice looking. I imagine there will be huge demand in the coming years once others get wind of the bang for the buck. Thoughts?
My perception of Grand Seikos is that Grand Seikos are for people who don’t care about perception of Grand Seikos :)

Honestly...they are spectacular pieces...and yes still a decent value even with the price increases. I admire the brand and have several. But if you’re looking for a watch that will impress the people around you? Wrong pick.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 07:00 AM   #90
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I love the fact that GS watches go under the radar from a brand perception among 99.9% of the population. GS watches are great examples of stealth wealth.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote