The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 August 2019, 09:23 AM   #61
SROB
"TRF" Member

I've considered, I'm considering some of their pieces. People buy, rank, brands for different reasons.

I'm sure many people are able to name many brands, indies, that are far superior to any of these three.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:24 AM   #62
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Unfortunately I resemble that statement... But I would hope I don't contribute to that problem...
Humility is a great trait to have. It serves us all well.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 01:04 PM   #63
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Why is VC in the holy trinity?

Wow, people need to separate the historical “holy trinity” of watchmaking from a current “popularity trinity” or “value retention” trinity?

The Holy Trinity of Swiss watchmaking is a historical designation to three Swiss watchmakers that have been around a long time (VC the longest) and have made very complicated and hand finished watches showing their advanced abilities. This isn’t to say that other companies don’t make great watches, just not for as long as these three. Rolex makes great tool watches with many associated innovations. They’re mass-produced, relatively simple, but robust movements hidden behind solid casebacks. Their most complicated movements are in the YM2 and Skydweller which are both relatively recent. VC has had the most complicated watch title in the past (as has Patek) and now has this to show off its watchmaking ability. Other than Patek and AP, who else has been doing this for 100 plus years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 02:06 PM   #64
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rolex1 View Post
+1
Because it would seem to me that for OP, Rolex (as well as Omega) has a better claim to be in the trinity.

To my mind, these labels take decades and even centuries to take shape. The fact that we all woke up to the notion that VC is in the trinity with PP and AP is the very proof in itself.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 02:45 PM   #65
baamvino
"TRF" Member

100% agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Luis View Post
Vacheron is tops along with Patek, in my opinion. But, I would switch Jaeger in, and Audemars, I mean Royal Oak, out!
AP...I mean RO is so overrated.
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 03:31 PM   #66
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
Stop being pedantic. You know what I mean. We don’t need sales figures to know which brands are more wanted than others. Do I need figures to convince you that Patek is more wanted than omega?

You can provide any kind of evidence that you so choose to substantiate the comment;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
VC is not wanted by many at all
Meanwhile,

https://journal.hautehorlogerie.org/...atch-market-i/

Omega is doing pretty well
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:16 PM   #67
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

I wonder if Breguet could submit a ballot for the Trinity.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:52 PM   #68
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Wow, people need to separate the historical “holy trinity” of watchmaking from a current “popularity trinity” or “value retention” trinity?

The Holy Trinity of Swiss watchmaking is a historical designation to three Swiss watchmakers that have been around a long time (VC the longest) and have made very complicated and hand finished watches showing their advanced abilities. This isn’t to say that other companies don’t make great watches, just not for as long as these three. Rolex makes great tool watches with many associated innovations. They’re mass-produced, relatively simple, but robust movements hidden behind solid casebacks. Their most complicated movements are in the YM2 and Skydweller which are both relatively recent. VC has had the most complicated watch title in the past (as has Patek) and now has this to show off its watchmaking ability. Other than Patek and AP, who else has been doing this for 100 plus years?

Wow, that is some piece.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:12 PM   #69
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
I wonder if Breguet could submit a ballot for the Trinity.
If it was my vote, it would be Patek, Breguet and Lange.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:57 PM   #70
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
If it was my vote, it would be Patek, Breguet and Lange.
Maybe it should be the Mount Rushmore of watchmakers instead to make room for one more to include Breguet and Lange along side Patek and VC...which would leave AP on the cliff.

That watch above ^ is all the proof this thread needs.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:26 PM   #71
shafran
"TRF" Member

Depends on the definition of holy trinity

I agree the question is should Lange or Breguet be up there. In my mind it has nothing to do with popularity but the longevity of the company and quality of finishing are top priorities. If you think Rolex should be there based on units sold and percentage of value retained, then you should add Seiko and apple watch. But, it is not about that.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:54 AM   #72
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I’m no historian, nor do I influence any rules, but I don’t think Lange gets considered because they’re not Swiss and Breguet seems to have been in Paris for a lot of its history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:28 AM   #73
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Here's a fun little exercise for everyone.

See something objectively stupid or so ill informed that it makes you laugh? Take a look at the join date.

Chances are it's someone who has joined in 2018 or 2019.

Don't get me wrong. Being here longer isn't some badge of honor unless you're one of the really old guys. Obviously not every new member is posting trash, but trust me on this one and take a look at those join dates the next time your are reading the forum and shaking your head.
+1 and might I add posted in the general Rolex discussion forum
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 05:13 AM   #74
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
For all those giving AP shade...w/o this manufacture, we may all be wearing nondescript quartz watches around like some dystopian nightmare. The RO not only saved AP from bankruptcy, but may have also fended off the vultures long enough for the entire Swiss watchmaking industry to survive. For that ALONE (and yes, their grande complications) I would place them atop the heap. They deserve to be one of the trinity.
Old 29 August 2019, 06:21 AM   #75
somebodyy
Banned

Why is VC in the "Holy Trinity"?

First of all they're the only big watchmaker that does watches on comission at their Les Cabinotiers Atelier.
And they don't do it like Patek who only sells a different dial to some high profile customers... they do it to everyone and build whatever you want if its ethically compatible with the brand.

Some of them led to the most complicated pieces, like these:

- Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication 3600
- Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Grand Complication Phoenix
- The Vacheron Constantin 57260
- Vacheron Constantin Maitre Cabinotier Astronomica

They also did something great things on their regular collection like this:

- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar

Secondly they're the oldest watch manufacturer in continous operation. That's hell of an accomplishment alone.

Now give me a reason why they shouldn't be within the holy trinity? What does Patek and AP make more valuable than VC? Just because some rappers know them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
For all those giving AP shade...w/o this manufacture, we may all be wearing nondescript quartz watches around like some dystopian nightmare. The RO not only saved AP from bankruptcy, but may have also fended off the vultures long enough for the entire Swiss watchmaking industry to survive. For that ALONE (and yes, their grande complications) I would place them atop the heap. They deserve to be one of the trinity.
Ehm... simply no! Do you actually know some proper watch history? In no world the Royal Oak saved the swiss watch industry. Also it's just an assumption that AP would've gone bankrupt w/o the weak selling Royal Oak. It might've save them to go for another attemp of changes.

It's marketing. Shaping history their way and ppl believe it, just like ppl believe that only Rolex is robust.
somebodyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 06:27 AM   #76
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Here's a fun little exercise for everyone.

See something objectively stupid or so ill informed that it makes you laugh? Take a look at the join date.

Chances are it's someone who has joined in 2018 or 2019.

Don't get me wrong. Being here longer isn't some badge of honor unless you're one of the really old guys. Obviously not every new member is posting trash, but trust me on this one and take a look at those join dates the next time your are reading the forum and shaking your head.
Oooff! Barely made the cut! Guess i can still say silly things and get away with it score!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:20 AM   #77
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyy View Post

Ehm... simply no! Do you actually know some proper watch history? In no world the Royal Oak saved the swiss watch industry. Also it's just an assumption that AP would've gone bankrupt w/o the weak selling Royal Oak. It might've save them to go for another attemp of changes.

It's marketing. Shaping history their way and ppl believe it, just like ppl believe that only Rolex is robust.
I was in the middle of responding with the same sentiment. The RO does have a place in history, specifically helping shape the modern day sports watch. But in no way should that qualify AP as a "holy trinity" member. Historically, Breguet are much more relevant and impactful to horology. From a modern day perspective, AP rarely innovate and are generally outclassed by Lange.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:48 AM   #78
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That pretty much answers the question
I didn’t know Richemont owned Cartier. Wow
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:51 AM   #79
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because they paid their Holy Trinity Fees and Rolex refused to.

its a fair question possibly if its VC vs another HH brand not included and why its VC and not them.

Its a ridiculous notion if its why is VC in it and Rolex isn't.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:52 AM   #80
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
AP was officially removed as a member of the holy trinity with the release of the Code 11:59.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 09:25 AM   #81
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If you have to ask, you have not done the research.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 11:23 AM   #82
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
AP was officially removed as a member of the holy trinity with the release of the Code 11:59.
i would buy a code all day long vs a cellini

i don't wear dressy watches though. For a dressy watch in a more modern size, its pretty nice. 37/38 mm dress watches are an absolute non starter for me so it does fill a nice spot for those so inclined. I love Patek but i feel ridiculous when i have a small dress watch on
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 11:49 AM   #83
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
Oooff! Barely made the cut! Guess i can still say silly things and get away with it score!
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Yeah, I don't know about that:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694181

@conkers
Old 29 August 2019, 12:43 PM   #84
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Why is VC in the holy trinity?

Quote:
Why is VC in the "Holy Trinity"?

First of all they're the only big watchmaker that does watches on comission at their Les Cabinotiers Atelier.
And they don't do it like Patek who only sells a different dial to some high profile customers... they do it to everyone and build whatever you want if its ethically compatible with the brand.

Some of them led to the most complicated pieces, like these:

- Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication 3600
- Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Grand Complication Phoenix
- The Vacheron Constantin 57260
- Vacheron Constantin Maitre Cabinotier Astronomica

They also did something great things on their regular collection like this:

- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar

Secondly they're the oldest watch manufacturer in continous operation. That's hell of an accomplishment alone.

Now give me a reason why they shouldn't be within the holy trinity? What does Patek and AP make more valuable than VC? Just because some rappers know them?

Fantastic first post. Member since 6hrs ago. Talk about history. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2019, 04:10 PM   #85
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
We really have a lot of damn fools amongst us. Hard to escape it because the Rolex brand just draws them in like flies on
Old 29 August 2019, 05:32 PM   #86
somebodyy
Banned

Cabaiguan what a great response!

Please elaborate what the membership length has to do with knowledge?
Old 29 August 2019, 06:02 PM   #87
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post

Wowowow. What IS that?! Looks incredible

Btw, completely agree about Holy Trinity Vs Value Retention Trinity. We should be buying and wearing what we love, not just what holds value, and history has a lot to do with the romance of this hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2019, 06:15 PM   #88
somebodyy
Banned

That’s the Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication 3600 commissioned by an american business man.

Case: white gold, 45 mm x 13,6 mm
Power Reseve: 3 weeks
Complications: 23
Price: 1 million US$
Old 29 August 2019, 06:22 PM   #89
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s the Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication 3600 commissioned by an american business man.

Case: white gold, 45 mm x 13,6 mm

Power Reseve: 3 weeks

Complications: 23

Price: 1 million US$
Oh. Guess it's off my lottery win list then if it was commissioned

What a great looking watch though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2019, 09:22 PM   #90
TJMike
Banned

I have no idea why VC is in the Holy Trinity. None at all:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/va...ar-introducing