The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2020, 05:56 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
World leaders are now signalling that they are not willing to risk a total economic collapse as a price to pay for combating this virus so that will give hope to greys that things will not degenerate too far and will come back again, so the bigger ones will be able to hold out for quite a while, many of them have built up reserves for these leaner times. Some of the smaller dealers will sell out and/or probably go bust so there may be deals to be had, but the macro picture might not be that doom and gloom for the rest of this year, unless the virus mutates into something even more deadly.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 06:00 AM   #32
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmagic View Post
People need to develop a relationship with an AD.

This forum more than any other are in love with the grays.
Why? Because utilizing grays makes much more sense for many people, particularly in the case of Pateks. The question I always ask is why should somebody buy 2 or 3 watches at outrageous MSRP prices (Complications, Grand Complications, or most Calatravas) just to MAYBE get on a list to get a Nautilus or an Aquanaut?

Going down this path, you'd be likely to take a 40%+ hit on the watches you bought to build a relationship, and there is absolutely no guarantee you'll get the watch you really want.

I always recommend people do the math. If you just want 1 or 2 of the hotter models, build a relationship with a gray that you trust. It almost certainly will work out in your favor.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 06:04 AM   #33
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Why? Because utilizing grays makes much more sense for many people, particularly in the case of Pateks. The question I always ask is why should somebody buy 2 or 3 watches at outrageous MSRP prices (Complications, Grand Complications, or most Calatravas) just to MAYBE get on a list to get a Nautilus or an Aquanaut?

Going down this path, you'd be likely to take a 40%+ hit on the watches you bought to build a relationship, and there is absolutely no guarantee you'll get the watch you really want.

I always recommend people do the math. If you just want 1 or 2 of the hotter models, build a relationship with a gray that you trust. It almost certainly will work out in your favor.
Building a relationship with an AD doesn’t mean buying anything you don’t want.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 06:21 AM   #34
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Signature worthy quote.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 06:29 AM   #35
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Not everyone is lucky to have a decent dealer. I've had a few that I've bought from and thought I had a relationship until the boom happened and then they told me to pound sand
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 06:51 AM   #36
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
I feel that's much easier said than done, and of course everybody's mileage will vary.

I do understand your point and I agree to a certain extent, but there are AD's (and in my experience that's specifically with Patek) where they have zero interest in your business if you're not buying something much less popular. Many people can see this is a total losing proposition and it drives them to the gray market.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 07:00 AM   #37
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
World leaders are now signalling that they are not willing to risk a total economic collapse as a price to pay for combating this virus so that will give hope to greys that things will not degenerate too far and will come back again, so the bigger ones will be able to hold out for quite a while, many of them have built up reserves for these leaner times. Some of the smaller dealers will sell out and/or probably go bust so there may be deals to be had, but the macro picture might not be that doom and gloom for the rest of this year, unless the virus mutates into something even more deadly.
When the tide of the virus starts rolling through Government Statehouses world leaders will go back to singing a different tune. But assuming they decide to open up economies again how will your AD be able to recognize you while you're wearing your hospital mask, will you recognize him while he's wearing his? "Tommy it's me, don't you recognize me, I spent a half a million here." Will you be able to try on watches, they'll have to be disinfected afterwards. Hopefully they were disinfected before hand.
If we never go back to shaking hands will anyone ever get to see your watch?

Last edited by cascavel; 25 March 2020 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Spelling, again.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 07:25 AM   #38
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

People forget that not only the grays are in trouble - Patek and AD need cash as well. They have been paying wages for people seating at home.

On top of this you have significantly less purchasing power.
Bosscheto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 08:04 AM   #39
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscheto View Post
People forget that not only the grays are in trouble - Patek and AD need cash as well. They have been paying wages for people seating at home.

On top of this you have significantly less purchasing power.
Isn't the government paying for this? If I sit at home and don't have to work my employer won't have to cover anything.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 09:16 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
When the tide of the virus starts rolling through Government Statehouses world leaders will go back to singing a different tune. But assuming they decide to open up economies again how will your AD be able to recognize you while you're wearing your hospital mask, will you recognize him while he's wearing his? "Tommy it's me, don't you recognize me, I spent a half a million here." Will you be able to try on watches, they'll have to be disinfected afterwards. Hopefully they were disinfected before hand.
If we never go back to shaking hands will anyone ever get to see your watch?
I know it's easy to become dramatic, and we actually have had politicians here and a close friend of Boris' struck down with CV, but now that most govts or at least the UK govt is strongly taking action now I am more confident we can contain this thing this summer and start the return to normal, Italy has recorded three days of slowing cases now so thats encouraging. Inaction and complacency were my biggest fears, so I don't see this as being much longer term than that now.
Old 25 March 2020, 12:14 PM   #41
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Are any of you folks scientists? Epidemiologists? Go to the CDC or Hopkins site or even the bloody Straits Times in Singapore. This is going to be going on in waves and the world economies are going to be impacted. Don't think Easter 2019...more like 2020.

Mondelez will do fine. The luxury goods industry? -It will survive for sure overall, but like the Quartz crisis, it will not be the same as it was before. Most luxury goods purchases are made by people who want to present an image on success that goes beyond their real level of success. Until the world seems to be functioning, those purchases will diminish in number and magnitude.

And I totally agree that this site is in bed with the grey sellers. "Trusted sellers"...lol. If that isn't proof already... I "trust" they have no loss of sleep with charging 100% over MSRP. And we've already gone down the road with what PP really thinks of it. As others have suggested, they need the grey marketplace to survive. And RF needs the greys.

I got my 5167 in 2014 and it was a great price from an AD. The only reason it's no longer that way is because PP decided to keep supply levels flat, in spite of increasing demand. PP, everyone knows this is total BS on your part.

Well, it will be interesting to revisit this thread EOY. Hopefully, I'll be able to still get Oreos.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 12:34 PM   #42
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
Are any of you folks scientists? Epidemiologists? Go to the CDC or Hopkins site or even the bloody Straits Times in Singapore. This is going to be going on in waves and the world economies are going to be impacted. Don't think Easter 2019...more like 2020.

Mondelez will do fine. The luxury goods industry? -It will survive for sure overall, but like the Quartz crisis, it will not be the same as it was before. Most luxury goods purchases are made by people who want to present an image on success that goes beyond their real level of success. Until the world seems to be functioning, those purchases will diminish in number and magnitude.

And I totally agree that this site is in bed with the grey sellers. "Trusted sellers"...lol. If that isn't proof already... I "trust" they have no loss of sleep with charging 100% over MSRP. And we've already gone down the road with what PP really thinks of it. As others have suggested, they need the grey marketplace to survive. And RF needs the greys.

I got my 5167 in 2014 and it was a great price from an AD. The only reason it's no longer that way is because PP decided to keep supply levels flat, in spite of increasing demand. PP, everyone knows this is total BS on your part.

Well, it will be interesting to revisit this thread EOY. Hopefully, I'll be able to still get Oreos.
Well said.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 02:34 PM   #43
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Thanks, but ive never been a fan of the Iron Cross styling.
Would it change your opinion if I told you that it’s a Maltese cross which looks very different from an iron cross?
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 03:36 PM   #44
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
Would it change your opinion if I told you that it’s a Maltese cross which looks very different from an iron cross?

Very similar, still not my cup of tea
Old 25 March 2020, 04:40 PM   #45
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know it's easy to become dramatic, and we actually have had politicians here and a close friend of Boris' struck down with CV, but now that most govts or at least the UK govt is strongly taking action now I am more confident we can contain this thing this summer and start the return to normal, Italy has recorded three days of slowing cases now so thats encouraging. Inaction and complacency were my biggest fears, so I don't see this as being much longer term than that now.
I totally agree with you and I realize that the caseload can be reduced, but only as long as there is an effective quarantine. Italy is on a dramatic lock down. The question is what happens when the lock down is relaxed?
Calls, by government leaders, to re-open economies by some artificial date, like Easter, are unrealistic.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 07:35 PM   #46
fabio62
"TRF" Member

5167 street price

Patek is closed...production stopped...so prices can only increase....
impossible hope differently....
fabio62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 07:36 PM   #47
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I totally agree with you and I realize that the caseload can be reduced, but only as long as there is an effective quarantine. Italy is on a dramatic lock down. The question is what happens when the lock down is relaxed?
Calls, by government leaders, to re-open economies by some artificial date, like Easter, are unrealistic.
My question is, what happens during the lock down. How many business will survive on almost zero revenue and costs stay more or less at the same level.

I live in Switzerland, this is my 9th day of quarantine, and in a previous post I already explained what are my losses so far. Not on the market, directly on my salary.

Also, when we are unleashed - can we travel abroad? I am a consultant, I travel transcontinental 10-12 times a year, can I work in the Middle East as of June - July, or I need to wait till September? What about US, when can I visit US, cause as we talk, I have no right to enter US?

If you are a business that operates only in your market, I guess you can restart, I do not know how I will restart. Maybe Asia, it looks cleaner now, if they let me. Imagine going in a business meeting for 3 days, and at the Airport you are quarantine for 14 days in a Chinese Hospital.
Old 25 March 2020, 08:26 PM   #48
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
true but summer in europe will at best be what is wuhan now. and summer in NYY may still be like wuhan two months ago.
i already got a call from my AD (closed, owner from home office) asking whether i want a 5168G blue. i said no thanks but i'd like this and that instead. i was promised another call today or tomorrow...
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 08:30 PM   #49
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 08:59 PM   #50
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
My question is, what happens during the lock down. How many business will survive on almost zero revenue and costs stay more or less at the same level.

I live in Switzerland, this is my 9th day of quarantine, and in a previous post I already explained what are my losses so far. Not on the market, directly on my salary.

Also, when we are unleashed - can we travel abroad? I am a consultant, I travel transcontinental 10-12 times a year, can I work in the Middle East as of June - July, or I need to wait till September? What about US, when can I visit US, cause as we talk, I have no right to enter US?

If you are a business that operates only in your market, I guess you can restart, I do not know how I will restart. Maybe Asia, it looks cleaner now, if they let me. Imagine going in a business meeting for 3 days, and at the Airport you are quarantine for 14 days in a Chinese Hospital.
tbh my plan is to get infected asap then i will die or survive not really care , but i wont sit at home waiting in a lock down .LD it s fine for elderly ppl or others with immune deficiency but for the rest of the world the only solution to get infected sooner or later since the virus stays here forever .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 09:19 PM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Easter is unrealistic but I think it is just an attempt to say all is not lost and that this thing will not be forever, I'd be amazed if when Easter comes anyone actually takes such a huge political gamble.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:28 PM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
true but summer in europe will at best be what is wuhan now. and summer in NYY may still be like wuhan two months ago.
i already got a call from my AD (closed, owner from home office) asking whether i want a 5168G blue. i said no thanks but i'd like this and that instead. i was promised another call today or tomorrow...
Yesterday the govt said girlfriends and boyfriends could not go and see each other any more, they either had to live together or not see each other. That is such a draconian measure but it made me think they are really serious, a few days late but they got there. The Tube train here is the big issue, as still many have to go to work because some are key workers and the economy cannot be allowed to just end, but they are still packed in and spreading it to each other. So everyone else needs to stay well away from them, so maybe this lasts into and past the summer, so getting separation between them and the gen pop is key.
Old 25 March 2020, 10:46 PM   #53
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

You say that AK, but there is no clear definition of what a 'key worker' is. The fact that there's been more advice for non cohabiting couples is absurd. There are dozens of construction workers around me still on the job. They're obviously terrified - when they head home they're all still wearing their respirator masks, all of them heading like a river to the tubes and buses. It's wholly irresponsible to expect them to go to work, and irresponsible for their bosses (who would anyway get relief from the government were they to halt activity) to compel them to travel and work. Add in the self-employed who the government haven't economically protected, and you have vast swathes of the populace who still have no choice but to fill the carriages to go to work.

The supermarket network is collapsing too. Ocado... just don't, and every other delivery service is borderline failing (four hours in a digital queue only to be kicked off before discovering there are no delivery slots till May). That makes people queue in tight shops for provisions which only risks them, and other key workers. This situation is getting worse, not better.

There was an excellent article in Haaretz a few days ago about how we safely remove the lockdown, and it all boiled down to long-term modelling (months in advance), comprehensive testing and tracking, and a tightening and loosening of restrictions based on the capacity of the health service. We in the UK are nowhere near the ability to do that, and so I fear it is right to be deeply concerned.

I have family in Israel, France, Argentina, Japan (and unfortunately the USA), and the lockdown in the UK just isn't tight enough.

(Back on topic, if anyone in the UK gets a call for a 5711/2 and doesn't wish to take up the offer, I'd be more than grateful if they'd send the AD my way!)
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 10:51 PM   #54
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
tbh my plan is to get infected asap then i will die or survive not really care , but i wont sit at home waiting in a lock down .LD it s fine for elderly ppl or others with immune deficiency but for the rest of the world the only solution to get infected sooner or later since the virus stays here forever .
How many people will you put at risk through sheer bravado? The evidence points to each infected person spreading the virus to 5-6 people before they show any symptoms. You could literally kill people, not only through the spread, but by overwhelming the health service.

That's exactly the issue - it isn't just about single individuals any more, it's about networks and connections.

Stay safe everyone. Stay at home.
Old 25 March 2020, 11:17 PM   #55
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Isn't the government paying for this? If I sit at home and don't have to work my employer won't have to cover anything.
Not at all. You apply for partial chomage - which is up to 40% at best, and if you are a high earner - u have a high chance to get refused.

I would not blame them, if the government needs to pay me half the salary, they can feed 5-6 workers with this amount of money on 100%. It is a complicated issue, lets wait and see. My company has applied, but informed us, that if we are rejected - we will go for a voluntary salary cut and the highest earnest will cut more. The idea is for 3 months, to avoid firings.

It is a very weird fucking thing, so different than 2009. We all are eager to work and to travel, and we know, that if we manage to absorb this cost, we will hit the ground running - like a pack of dogs waiting to be unleashed.

On the other hand, if we are forbidden to fly because Switzerland is so massively infected, one of the highest per capita, our business is international. I can't believe that a bat shat on a snake, and some idiot ate it, and we are all in this shit right now.
Old 25 March 2020, 11:19 PM   #56
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wife's cousin in Germany was hospitalized today. She is 36 in no underlining conditions. Her baby and husband tested negative. So far, looks positive, she is in good condition and we hope it stays like this. The major issue with the COVID is the combination of how infectious it is and how many people need hospitalisation.

Even among young people, it is a serious disease, not that deadly, but very serious. It is like a massive Pnemonia, I do not know, not a doctor, just a very frustrated guy right now, and we have been locked for 10 days only.
Old 25 March 2020, 11:31 PM   #57
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
How many people will you put at risk through sheer bravado? The evidence points to each infected person spreading the virus to 5-6 people before they show any symptoms. You could literally kill people, not only through the spread, but by overwhelming the health service.

That's exactly the issue - it isn't just about single individuals any more, it's about networks and connections.

Stay safe everyone. Stay at home.
and who will feed my pppl in my factory 🏭?we are working in teams ,connected with the same individuals on daily base . TBH could be that I ve already had the virus since travelled to Milan in February for days but you can t get tested in my country except if you show symptoms . rather work than worry .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 25 March 2020, 11:38 PM   #58
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and who will feed my pppl in my factory 🏭?we are working in teams ,connected with the same individuals on daily base . TBH could be that I ve already had the virus since travelled to Milan in February for days but you can t get tested in my country except if you show symptoms . rather work than worry .
Well I don’t know where you are based, but in many countries governments will pay a substantial portion of payroll.

Anyway, stay safe, and I hope you and yours are healthy, and those you come into contact with too...
Old 25 March 2020, 11:39 PM   #59
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wife's cousin in Germany was hospitalized today. She is 36 in no underlining conditions. Her baby and husband tested negative. So far, looks positive, she is in good condition and we hope it stays like this. The major issue with the COVID is the combination of how infectious it is and how many people need hospitalisation.

Even among young people, it is a serious disease, not that deadly, but very serious. It is like a massive Pnemonia, I do not know, not a doctor, just a very frustrated guy right now, and we have been locked for 10 days only.
yes some ppl get pneumonia but 80% of the infected has no or very mild symptoms , i don t say ppl should get infected I only say that I rather do my daily routine and counting with the consequences than stay in a room at home , bust the company and make my ppl broke.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 25 March 2020, 11:40 PM   #60
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I hope you all make it through this. Stay safe.