The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18 January 2018, 03:57 AM   #391
SearChart
TechXpert

Rip Bitcoin? Or time to buy?
Old 18 January 2018, 04:23 AM   #392
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Btc and ltc... I'm not a long term hold strategy on crypto. I started day trading it just recently.
Old 18 January 2018, 07:35 AM   #393
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Gonna get a rinse and repeat... They'll buy the coins back up, all while building a short position in leveraged futures, and slam the coins.

Suckers will be caught in the middle.
Old 18 January 2018, 01:32 PM   #394
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Gonna get a rinse and repeat... They'll buy the coins back up, all while building a short position in leveraged futures, and slam the coins.

Suckers will be caught in the middle.
exactly. charie lee pointed this out 1 1 2018.

i actually bought ltc at 142 today.

btc is going to ath. watch them pump it.

easy peasy. same thing they do with equities and commodities.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 19 January 2018, 07:41 AM   #395
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Bought $1000 of Litecoin today for the heck of it.
Old 19 January 2018, 07:42 AM   #396
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I don't get anyone buying this. The founder sold 100% of his stake, isn't that a red flag for anyone?
Old 19 January 2018, 07:51 AM   #397
TommyT53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I did the same yesterday, along with some ethereum and Bitcoin... cannibis stock too. Felt a little wild and crazy. Time will tell and it was discretionary money.
Old 19 January 2018, 01:02 PM   #398
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Lengthy but I think a great read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/m...bble.html?_r=0
Old 19 January 2018, 01:05 PM   #399
Amplifiednation
"TRF" Member

I bought a bunch of ether on sale.
Old 19 January 2018, 01:26 PM   #400
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
I don't get anyone buying this. The founder sold 100% of his stake, isn't that a red flag for anyone?
not really. he is still developing it and works for the litecoin foundation. also donates money to the foundation.

charlie isnt stupid. something goes from 4 bucks to 100 200 350 you sell.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 19 January 2018, 07:06 PM   #401
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Wow. Good to see a crypto thread and after perusing, it appears I'm not the only alt junkie who knows the difference between POW and POS. Cheers y'all. ICO season seems to be upon us. Dadi plagiarized SONM, Matrix's fomo is looking a lot like the ICX train, I love what Legolas is doing and a number of interesting projects. It's also reassuring to know that there are insulting trollish type posters hoping that someone is interested in filling them in. DYOR :)
Old 19 January 2018, 07:54 PM   #402
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Will the holders jump out or the buyers jump in.

Your call Bas.....

Old 19 January 2018, 08:09 PM   #403
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I have a few friends doing this.

I don't understand it and they can't really explain it to me so it is a no for me. I won't bash it because again I don't really get it.

To those that are doing it you've got huge stones. I haven't the stomach for it.

However I wish you all the greatest success.
Old 19 January 2018, 09:29 PM   #404
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Will the holders jump out or the buyers jump in.

Your call Bas.....
The futures contracts are expiring so that would be reason to rinse and repeat re: spike the price. I think there's a degree of ennui with BTC right now. Just not a lot of buyer interest. The bigger picture to me is, as BTC dominant market share has shrunk, when will the alts decouple and stand alone.
Old 19 January 2018, 10:52 PM   #405
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
The futures contracts are expiring so that would be reason to rinse and repeat re: spike the price. I think there's a degree of ennui with BTC right now. Just not a lot of buyer interest. The bigger picture to me is, as BTC dominant market share has shrunk, when will the alts decouple and stand alone.
the problem is it is the wild wild west right now.

you have alt coins that wont ever work, such as a flight related alt coin that wants to be used in aviation. you know how hard that is to pass by the faa? right now currency traders are pumping and dumping alt coins. every day a new alt coin spikes and then retraces.

people will always hold btc. the alt coins 1 out of every 1000 will make it.

if you really like altcoins just trade them but buy and hold eth. it is the development platform for mostly all of them so it is the king of alt coins.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 January 2018, 08:02 AM   #406
Constantine
Banned

I don't know much about this topic (have never bought any crypto), but in the last few days I have been hearing lots of noise about Tethers*. It appears that these are being printed on a massive scale, currently 100 million per day for the last 5 days.

Do you think this is legitimate, i.e. there are actually 100mil USD flowing into tether each day, or are these being printed out of thin air? The rumours I've been hearing are that the tethers are being printed just to prop up the prices of the various currencies.

Aren't you concerned, especially if you use an exchange that uses USDT, that this might implode if people try to convert their USDT back to USD and discover that it's not possible? There could even be a knock on effect to the other exchanges if Tether suddenly blows up, and people start moving their Bitcoins from Tether exchanges to USD exchanges and try to sell.

This is the link where you can see all the Tethers being issued: http://omniexplorer.info/lookupadd.a...o5LsPTW1zBTwXL

*For those who don't know, Tether is a cryptocurrency pegged 1:1 to the dollar. I.e. you pay them a USD they give you a USDT. Or you can redeem a USDT and get a USD back. The purpose is that you can take these tethers to exchanges that do not have bank accounts and therefore you cannot trade with real money, so you trade with USDT which has the same value. According to the terms of Tether, USDTs are fully backed by USD in their reserve account.
Old 20 January 2018, 08:08 AM   #407
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I don't know much about this topic (have never bought any crypto), but in the last few days I have been hearing lots of noise about Tethers*. It appears that these are being printed on a massive scale, currently 100 million per day for the last 5 days.

Do you think this is legitimate, i.e. there are actually 100mil USD flowing into tether each day, or are these being printed out of thin air? The rumours I've been hearing are that the tethers are being printed just to prop up the prices of the various currencies.

Aren't you concerned, especially if you use an exchange that uses USDT, that this might implode if people try to convert their USDT back to USD and discover that it's not possible? There could even be a knock on effect to the other exchanges if Tether suddenly blows up, and people start moving their Bitcoins from Tether exchanges to USD exchanges and try to sell.

This is the link where you can see all the Tethers being issued: http://omniexplorer.info/lookupadd.a...o5LsPTW1zBTwXL

*For those who don't know, Tether is a cryptocurrency pegged 1:1 to the dollar. I.e. you pay them a USD they give you a USDT. Or you can redeem a USDT and get a USD back. The purpose is that you can take these tethers to exchanges that do not have bank accounts and therefore you cannot trade with real money, so you trade with USDT which has the same value. According to the terms of Tether, USDTs are fully backed by USD in their reserve account.

This is definitely a recipe for disaster if it ever comes time that Tether gets put to the test when everyone wants to cash out at the same time. As of right now we need more clarification from exchanges on whether Tether is going to be backed by them 1:1.
Old 20 January 2018, 08:16 AM   #408
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

For someone who doesn’t know a lot about crypto and has never bought any you seem to know a lot about crypto and seem to care even though you don’t own any? Your odd intro aside, yes it can be a huge problem, if it’s a scam.

http://tonyarcieri.com/the-tether-conundrum
Old 20 January 2018, 08:18 AM   #409
Constantine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
This is definitely a recipe for disaster if it ever comes time that Tether gets put to the test when everyone wants to cash out at the same time. As of right now we need more clarification from exchanges on whether Tether is going to be backed by them 1:1.
My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong as I have only spent a couple of hours reading about this, is that the only one who backs USDT are Tether themselves. The exchanges that support USDT treat it simply as any other cryptocurrency and don't care or have any responsibility for what happens to its value.
Old 20 January 2018, 08:24 AM   #410
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
I'm just going to leave this right here.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...cryptocurrency
Old 20 January 2018, 08:24 AM   #411
Constantine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post
For someone who doesn’t know a lot about crypto and has never bought any you seem to know a lot about crypto and seem to care even though you don’t own any? Your odd intro aside, yes it can be a huge problem, if it’s a scam.

http://tonyarcieri.com/the-tether-conundrum
Thanks for the link, I will take a look.

I honestly don't know much about this and have no personal stake. I just saw some tweets on my feed about this and it piqued my interest so I spent 1-2 hours trying to understand, but it's hard to find objective information, everyone seems to be very passionate about this one way or the other. This is why I came here, to see if someone knows more.

Last edited by Constantine; 20 January 2018 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: fix typo
Old 20 January 2018, 08:45 AM   #412
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong as I have only spent a couple of hours reading about this, is that the only one who backs USDT are Tether themselves. The exchanges that support USDT treat it simply as any other cryptocurrency and don't care or have any responsibility for what happens to its value.
Tether has already announced that all USDTether is backed 1:1 to the US Dollar.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:16 AM   #413
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy_Kilowatt View Post

Here's the answer for that https://thenextweb.com/cryptocurrenc...ots-take-jobs/

If that's our future.... I'm out. Lol.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:30 AM   #414
armen34
"TRF" Member

As of right now I'm in and out like a day trader... as long as I get my money when I want to cash out I'm happy!
Old 20 January 2018, 12:26 PM   #415
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
the problem is it is the wild wild west right now.

you have alt coins that wont ever work, such as a flight related alt coin that wants to be used in aviation. you know how hard that is to pass by the faa? right now currency traders are pumping and dumping alt coins. every day a new alt coin spikes and then retraces.

people will always hold btc. the alt coins 1 out of every 1000 will make it.

if you really like altcoins just trade them but buy and hold eth. it is the development platform for mostly all of them so it is the king of alt coins.
Saying most projects won't make it goes without saying. I've held a number of altcoins that have far outperformed ethereum. Your knowledge is obviously quite thin but you're pretty comfortable telling me what I should do if I like altcoins. Ethereum has latency and scalability issues to contend with although I think Vitalik and Company will do just fine. "Blockchain 3.0" platforms hold considerable promise as well, EOS' graphene engine, tendermint and dag technologies are causing a shake up but I'm sure you're up to speed on the platform plays- ARDR, Waves, KMD, ICX, Cardano and the litany when you told me to only hold ethereum. I've held NEO since it was Antshares, bought OMG the day it was listed on Bittrex among others but I appreciate your officious nature.
Old 20 January 2018, 10:52 PM   #416
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:

you realize that power plants pump out power whether consumed or not right. there is only an off on switch. that is it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 January 2018, 10:54 PM   #417
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
Saying most projects won't make it goes without saying. I've held a number of altcoins that have far outperformed ethereum. Your knowledge is obviously quite thin but you're pretty comfortable telling me what I should do if I like altcoins. Ethereum has latency and scalability issues to contend with although I think Vitalik and Company will do just fine. "Blockchain 3.0" platforms hold considerable promise as well, EOS' graphene engine, tendermint and dag technologies are causing a shake up but I'm sure you're up to speed on the platform plays- ARDR, Waves, KMD, ICX, Cardano and the litany when you told me to only hold ethereum. I've held NEO since it was Antshares, bought OMG the day it was listed on Bittrex among others but I appreciate your officious nature.
key word is so far. ever heard of kbio? what about plug power.

i understand the constraints of eth. but by your own admission had you been holding eth since the begging youd be far better off than holding neo.

technology only matters if people care. sheep buying coins dont care and traders never ever care.

if you want my opinion on an alt coin that will out perform it is bnb.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 January 2018, 01:18 AM   #418
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you realize that power plants pump out power whether consumed or not right. there is only an off on switch. that is it.
I absolutely realize that. What's your point?
Old 21 January 2018, 01:57 AM   #419
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to following VEchain (VEN) through it's rebranding process! Exciting coin.
Old 21 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #420
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I absolutely realize that. What's your point?
power consumption is irrelevant.

25 or 6 to 4.
Closed Thread