The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2016, 04:06 AM   #1
royseejr
"TRF" Member

Roo 26470 ss

About to pull the trigger on my very first AP (42mm ROO Slate Gray/ gray themes). The only hindrance that is letting me think twice are the ff:
1) that the SS Bezel is a scratch magnet (what's your take?)
2) issues regarding the movement (either too fast or too slow)
*live in Manila, Philippines and to service an AP here takes around 2-3months turnaround since they will still take it to AP Singapore.

Any feedback/ advice would be of great help!

Thanks much guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
royseejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2016, 04:12 AM   #2
Jp28
"TRF" Member

In my experience
1) yes they are. As long as you upfront know about this and either live with it or budget for the refinish then you should be fine. In the end it just distracted me too much and I sold my SS ROO
2) no issues on this one for me
Overall great watches but go in with your eyes open as to what you are buying.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2016, 04:40 AM   #3
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
This year I purchased at 15710 diver. I've heard the rumors of the bezel being a scratch magnet. I don't see this. In the 5.5 months I've had the watch I have no scratches on the watch. Only hairlines I'd need a loop to see and I've banged it twice, once quite badly on a closing door at a Florida outlet mall. As for timing, Clearwater told me it plus 12/minus 8 which I think is ridiculous. That said, I somehow magnetized my watch and had to send it in. They did the 3 year service and I requested it to be regulated. Contacted them and asked for plus 2/minus 1 regulation. The ad kept telling me AP would likely rush the service as it was a new watch. After two or three weeks I was told 01/16 which would be around 6 weeks. On the Friday before Christmas I was called and told the watch was ready. It was regulated to plus 1/day and still runs perfectly!

Thanks,
Everett
AP 15710 Diver
Sent from my iPhone
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 11:57 PM   #4
Uros
"TRF" Member

Almost a year now with 26470 Grey and bezel scratches not an issue but you need to be careful with it (which I guess you will be anyway given the price of the watch:)). Have few minor scratches but it also gives some personality and emotional attachment since I remember each of the scratch date, place, time:) Hitting it hard or if it would go against some rough surface for sure is a risk and would not look good...

No problem with mechanism, silent and perfect...for me its almost a daily beater, I have it on steel bracelet and still cant get my eyes off it...amazing watch...
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2016, 01:35 AM   #5
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
whether the scratches bring back good memories or bad is dependent on the situation

i mean i would not want to look at a scratch and every time remember a guy who pushed me trying to get past
Old 20 January 2016, 01:45 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
that's why I got a ceramic ROO, looks like the first day I got it, for SS or RG flat bezels I prefer ultra thin watches which are less prone to scratches, I would not have gotten a ROO with SS bezel
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 03:30 AM   #7
royseejr
"TRF" Member

Problem is there's no 42mm ROO on ceramic bezel currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
royseejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 04:39 AM   #8
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Bezel is a scratch magnet wait for a 42 ceramic. Maybe next year. I know that is a tough pill to swallow but would be worth the wait IMO
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2016, 08:17 PM   #9
Uros
"TRF" Member

Cant argue...ceramic would be perfect but as said there is none...and come on its an offshore it needs bit of character:)

jokes aside really after one year of heavy wrist time its more than ok, few hair like scratches here and there and that's it...after all its a still steel and at some point of time it will get serviced anyway...
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2016, 03:37 AM   #10
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I have had both ceramic and now have steel. I like the ceramic but nothing shines like steel. I was also one of the lucky few that scratched and chip the bezel so for me I switched to steel
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 09:04 AM   #11
ice_g
"TRF" Member

Steel bezel issues are easy to fix. I've had mine red/black for over a year now and it's a magnificent piece. Another consideration is that you can have a bracelet on it, that you cannot have on the 44s.
ice_g is offline   Reply With Quote