The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2019, 01:49 PM   #31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I live 15 kilograms from my office. If i take the highway its only 4 acres.
I needed that It was the reset my brain needed. My synapses would have been in a feedback loop of doom.
Old 18 October 2019, 02:23 PM   #32
2024 Pledge Member

"3 microns of variance" simply means that the dimensional size of the ceramic is within 0.003mm of their target, which I would take to mean both thickness and diameter. As in, if the target outside diameter of a ceramic bezel is 38.50mm then it typically falls within 38.4985mm and 38.5015mm (or 38.50mm +/-0.0015mm).

Since their ceramic is diamond polished to final size and finish, they're likely talking about their ability to polish within tolerance and meet their dimensional target.

This isn't enough thickness to deviate the color of the ceramic viewable in a measurable way by the human eye. Rolex isn't referring to Mk1/2/3 variants invented by watch enthusiasts on the Internet.

What you probably received was a customer service rep trying to play an engineer when answering your question.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 02:49 PM   #33
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
A rare, actual LOL. Thank you!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 03:35 PM   #34
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Mk3 is just so classy. I believe they have been refining their processes and they are now probably closer to their true intention than they were in the beginning. Owners of early models don't have to feel bad, their color scheme may eventually become rare and sought after by collectors.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 04:53 PM   #35
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I have to disagree. The WG BLRO had been out for awhile with the “pastel” bezel and the Basel Trunk Show steel BLRO looked identical to me when I handled it in April of last year. Although I have yet to see another SS one next to mine to compare I can believe my December delivery might be “MK II.”

The new BLRO is meant to be a homage to the past, I don’t think it ever had to be/needed to be exactly the same as the prior aluminum or Bakelite bezels.
For me, looking at it this way reinforces my take on it even more as it means they spent even longer (than just the 126710BLRO) trying to ‘get it right’ and couldn’t — more money more time = less profit; they had two choices — give up or issue as is

It may be an homage but all other Pepsi homages in the market are Red and Blue, the only one which is not is the Rolex; that to me speaks volumes
Old 18 October 2019, 05:58 PM   #36
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:15 PM   #37
tommy67
Banned

Quote:
Nice one
tommy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:20 PM   #38
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Amazing learning thread.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:25 PM   #39
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Once again, we are confronted by "the myth of the ceramic superiority".

"They're baked, and we allow for 3 micron variance." That is some funny stuff.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:27 PM   #40
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
"3 microns of variance" simply means that the dimensional size of the ceramic is within 0.003mm of their target, which I would take to mean both thickness and diameter. As in, if the target outside diameter of a ceramic bezel is 38.50mm then it typically falls within 38.4985mm and 38.5015mm (or 38.50mm +/-0.0015mm).

Since their ceramic is diamond polished to final size and finish, they're likely talking about their ability to polish within tolerance and meet their dimensional target.

This isn't enough thickness to deviate the color of the ceramic viewable in a measurable way by the human eye. Rolex isn't referring to Mk1/2/3 variants invented by watch enthusiasts on the Internet.

What you probably received was a customer service rep trying to play an engineer when answering your question.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:38 PM   #41
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Much to about nothing really.They all look good to me. Nit picking comes to mind!!!!
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:41 PM   #42
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

'We' complain about everything

Many of us would love your crappy coke
Old 18 October 2019, 06:47 PM   #43
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 07:09 PM   #44
Joeguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Last year an AD brought out a Tudor GMT to show me. I believe they had just been released a month or so before.

I passed on it because the bezel colors were too dark compared to the BLRO imo. The AD agreed.

Nowadays the colors on the BLRO and the Tudor seem to match very well. I had assumed they were trying to make sure that the Tudor colors didn’t exactly match and therefore undercut the BLRO.

Looks like the colors on that Tudor were what they were going for all along.

As the days went by, the darker colors grew on me, and I was considering going back. Soon though, the date bug was revealed and that sealed the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 07:38 PM   #45
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Great versatility, coke and pepsi in one watch
Old 18 October 2019, 07:54 PM   #46
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father and Son View Post
I recently expressed my disappoint to Rolex regarding the dark colors of my Pepsi BLRO GMT... I shared that I didnt know there was a MK3 and that I was expecting my grail watch not to look like a Coke in many if not most lighting conditions.

They said there is no such thing as MK1, MK2 and MK3 but instead that they allow for a variance of 3 microns in the color of the ceramic bezels.

Curious what you guys think and if anyone has heard of this explanation.

I didnt argue with them about the concept of MK1, MK2 and MK3 and whether it is real or not... I kept it simple... 3 microns or not--- my Pepsi is a Coke.. Other Pepsi's look like Pepsi's in various hues/shades. And yes they all vary in different lighting conditions and photos... But put mine next to any of the others I have seen and it is clearly more Coke than Pepsi unless you are holding a military issued spotlight at it.

All this MK1,MK2, Mk3 and so on only exists in internet forum land, colour variations especially with colours blue and red with ceramics.When firing at very high temperatures perhaps hundreds at a time colours could vary slightly batch to batch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:54 PM   #47
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All this MK1,MK2, Mk3 and so on only exists in internet forum land, colour variations especially with colours blue and red with ceramics.When firing at very high temperatures perhaps hundreds at a time colours could vary slightly batch to batch.
But Padi, Internet forum fantasy land is where we all live!
Old 19 October 2019, 12:58 AM   #48
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
I recently expressed my disappoint to Rolex regarding the dark colors of my Pepsi BLRO GMT... I shared that I didnt know there was a MK3 and that I was expecting my grail watch not to look like a Coke in many if not most lighting conditions.

They said there is no such thing as MK1, MK2 and MK3 but instead that they allow for a variance of 3 microns in the color of the ceramic bezels.

I didnt argue with them about the concept of MK1, MK2 and MK3 and whether it is real or not... I kept it simple... 3 microns or not--- my Pepsi is a Coke.. Other Pepsi's look like Pepsi's in various hues/shades. And yes they all vary in different lighting conditions and photos... But put mine next to any of the others I have seen and it is clearly more Coke than Pepsi unless you are holding a military issued spotlight at it.

I bet you could trade with anyone who owns a pink and purple variant, and they'd be thrilled to do so.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:11 AM   #49
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I have to say I have had first hand experience with this topic as I've been lucky enough to own 2 - the first being what we are calling a MK1. I did NOT like the color of the bezel and ended up moving it along. Meanwhile I get the call from my AD about a month ago or so and I have the chance to repeat this thing. So I did it again. This time it's what we're calling the MK3. Love it, it's a keeper for sure. To the OP I'm sure it would be very easy to unload if it's not what he thought it was going to be. For me, I'm really happy with this one.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:30 AM   #50
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
None are really purple or pink. Just look that way in some lighting conditions. Speaking for myself with one "mark1"...
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:38 AM   #51
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
But Padi, Internet forum fantasy land is where we all live!
Today many do, but myself 100% dont, and never will, to me its just a red and blue ceramic insert nothing more..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:57 AM   #52
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Ceramic "3 microns of variance"

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Happy to buy your "Coke" off you - send me a PM

hey get back on line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 12:19 PM   #53
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
When you say you expressed your disappointment to “Rolex,” who were you actually talking to?
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:05 PM   #54
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'm sure Rolex isn't going to acknowledge any such thing as mk1,2,3 but as always they keep tweaking or evolving as they say. I'm still trying to get why the blue wasn't more like the Blnr from the start. First a pastel which had a purple tint and now a dark, almost navy blue.. kind of Tudorish maybe. Is this it, will there be more 'tweaking'...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:20 PM   #55
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
The colors are what they are. There is of course no official Mk 1, 2 or 3 but that is just a way for people to make sense of these differences. People perceive colors in ways that depend on the individual. If they look different to you, then they look different and what anyone else says will not change that. If you are going to buy one of these it might be best to have a look in person first, to make sure you like what you are getting.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 08:07 AM   #56
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
When you say you expressed your disappointment to “Rolex,” who were you actually talking to?
Could have been a forum member here, a forum admin here, a sales associate at an AD, a manager at an AD, the owner of an AD, a Rolex in-country representative, in-country executive, Rolex SA employee, Rolex SA executive, charitable trust board member...

And each would answer differently (if at all).
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 10:23 AM   #57
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
How many gallons if you go as the crow flies?
Old 31 October 2019, 10:31 AM   #58
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree on this one. This is a non-issue. Nonsense, literally.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 10:34 AM   #59
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I tend to agree Peter. As it stands now there are three MK variations in less than 2 years. At this rate we will be up to Mk 20 before the next iteration of the blro
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 10:51 AM   #60
GovernorsGovernor
"TRF" Member

OP, c'mon man... You're telling me you can't see a noticeable difference between your bezel and dial??? I have an MK3, and it's clear to me..,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1013191337~2.jpg (263.0 KB, 203 views)
GovernorsGovernor is offline   Reply With Quote