The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2019, 03:20 AM   #211
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Added the new “vignette” filter from the new iPhone update to the above photo.

Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 05:31 AM   #212
duc888
"TRF" Member

I think I am a little late but just wanted to say thank you for that great post. It was a pleasure to read.
Best wishes from a former German Army Captain
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 05:42 AM   #213
ale70
"TRF" Member

Phenomenal story and proud to be sharing the Forum with a person with your history.

Wear it in good health and congratulations!!!
Old 9 October 2019, 07:28 AM   #214
Chris Nelly
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub
The BEST post I have ever read this forum. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and congrats!
Chris Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:39 AM   #215
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

What a great post and including the fact that it's a great personal history it's also a great historical marketing course on the probably the worlds most iconic watch.

It influenced millions into buying one, and although I wanted a date version without a cyclops I bought the Sea Dweller (2005 version) instead, but still the Sub you mention is a nicer proportioned watch in my opinion.

And I never was a fan of the maxi dial and hands that came later.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 03:01 PM   #216
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc888 View Post
I think I am a little late but just wanted to say thank you for that great post. It was a pleasure to read.
Best wishes from a former German Army Captain
Please, no apologies for being late to the thread, sir! TRF is such an active forum that threads slip away very quickly, as newer threads push them rapidly down the page.

Though I’m new to this forum, I’ve spent many years on others, and personally never agreed with the popular opinion that “old threads are dead threads and should not be exhumed.”

If a thread is inherently good, and if the information within it remains relevant despite the passage of time, than it is just as good tomorrow (or next year) as it is today.

Much like the Classic Rolex Submariner!

So, again, please don’t apologize for replying “a little late” to the game. This thread is still alive and kicking!

The subject of this thread is timeless, as it simply documents a lifelong dream to own an iconic watch and the process of fulfilling that dream.

In addition, this thread (or tale) will continue to grow as I add new photos, stories and anecdotes along the way.

As I alluded to in the original post, my story is not unlike the story of many others here.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where “new and improved” is almost always preferred over “old and the same.”

Ironically, the Rolex Submariner story itself is a tale of tradition, timelessness and history. So, writing about the Submariner with these things in mind will never go out of style.

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to post!

Michael
Old 9 October 2019, 07:37 PM   #217
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Simply awesome post.

You passion runs for this watch runs deep. And exemplifies the best of this hobby and this forum.

Thank you for the time you took to put this together.
Old 9 October 2019, 09:09 PM   #218
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Best sub made !
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 09:16 PM   #219
lzz73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
Great thread and pictures!
lzz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 09:46 PM   #220
httr91
"TRF" Member

This post is one of the most fun reads on this forum. Thank you for this and for your service! Wear the Sub in good health!
httr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 10:36 PM   #221
Camel
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
What a great read - enjoy your sub.
Rolex Deepsea D-Blue Horizon 116660 "3170xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570 "T20xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Black 216570 "G53xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 "P32xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II Ceramic 116710LN "V97xxxx"
Rolex Submariner 16610 "Z61xxxx"
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN "G79xxxx"
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:57 AM   #222
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale70 View Post
Phenomenal story and proud to be sharing the Forum with a person with your history.

Wear it in good health and congratulations!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nelly View Post
The BEST post I have ever read this forum. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and congrats!
Thank you both, ale70 and Chris Nelly, for taking the time to post and for your kind words. Very high praise!

The way I see it, this is an outstanding forum on which I’m telling a story of an iconic watch, so I need to bring as much quality to the thread as I can.

Thanks again!

Michael
Old 11 October 2019, 12:10 AM   #223
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeli Paulo View Post
The Rolex Submariner.

It’s much more than “just a watch” to me, so if you’re in the “it’s just a watch” camp, with all due respect, you’ll probably be happier avoiding the rest of this thread.

Like many others, I grew up watching James Bond and Steve McQueen wearing a Submariner which contributed to making the watch so cool and iconic to me.

When I turned 18, I joined the Navy and upon reporting to boot camp, was delighted to find myself assigned to “Company 007.”

When the Company Commanders discovered that I was drawing portraits of my fellow recruits, (so they could send them home to their sweethearts,) I was assigned to illustrate the company flag.

After graduating from boot camp, I was sent to Submarine School where I began my four year tour in the Submarine Service.

Though I wasn’t anything close to being a Submarine Commander like the above gentleman, I did earn my “Dolphins” and experienced the unique and mysterious underwater life of a Submariner.

After my stint in the Submarine Service, I moved on to a career working for the government and have since retired. However, the longing for a Rolex Submariner has never passed. But I always figured that these watches were for the “wealthy” so I never seriously considered owning one myself.

Then, around a month ago, I stumbled upon The Rolex Forum. I began researching and soon realized that my lifelong dream could actually become a reality.

I showed a picture of the Submariner to my lovely wife and told her all about it. She surprised me by saying how much she loved the watch, how every “gentleman” should wear a nice watch and that she completely supported my desire...she even insisted that she help pay for it!

Soon “the other shoe dropped” and I learned of the current difficulties in obtaining a new Submariner. Remaining positive, my wife and I visited three of our local Authorized Dealers, briefly sharing my story and giving each of them a typed half sheet of information about me and the 114060 reference which I hoped to obtain.

The following week, I “made a day of it” and made similar visits to nine Authorized Dealers in my neighboring cities.

Though I figured I’d be in for a long wait, I was willing, after having waited nearly a lifetime already.

When initially researching the Submariner, I was set upon buying an 114060 from an AD, because I had convinced myself that for an investment like this, I should go with the “new one” from an Authorized Dealer with a full warranty.

But I was continually drawn back to the look and feel of the classic Submariners prior to the changes made with the advent of the 114060.

Then, less than a week ago, I began seriously looking into the possibility of attaining an 14060m as opposed to the 114060.

I realized that with a late model 14060M, I could get a Submariner which had many of the recent “upgrades” while retaining the classic look.

(Note: Before this thread devolves into a “2 liner vs. 4 liner” or a “14060M vs. 114060” discussion, let me say that this thread is in honor of the Rolex Submariner in all of it’s renditions over the years. They are all fantastic!!!)

A Trusted Seller here (speedy_master1 aka Nima) was offering a 14060M reference from 2011 with the complete package, in mint condition, only one owner, and a “safe queen.”

After putting Nima “through the wringer” with tons of questions over a 24 hour period, I bought my dream watch!

My Rolex Submariner (I enjoy saying that!) arrived in pristine condition! I immediately took it to my (new) watchmaker and he authenticated it and put it on his machine to check it’s functions. He said everything looked great and helped fit the bracelet on me.

I am so blessed; I have a classic Rolex Submariner in “like new” condition! I couldn’t be any happier with it!

Ironically, if it wasn’t for the “SS shortage” at the AD’s, I never would have researched and found the 14060m. Instead, I would have walked out with a brand new 114060, a month ago. (Which in all actuality would have been great, as well!)

Another interesting point is that (though I plan on wearing the heck out of this watch,) I totally appreciate those collectors who are guarding their “safe queens.” Those collectors are doing us a great service; preserving watches in pristine condition so that someone else will benefit later; someone like me, buying an eight year old watch in essentially “new” condition.

Aesthetically, just gazing at the watch, it is simply “perfect” to me visually. The Rolex Submariner is simply “the” watch for me.

(Found the hidden Crown!) :)

Some folks might respond to my excitement and enthusiasm with statements like, “It’s just a watch!”

Well, one could also say that Michelangelo’s Pieta is “just a statue“ or that Cologne Cathedral is “just a building.”

Not every man-made creation is a thing of beauty or excellence, but when they are, there’s nothing wrong with appreciating these qualities.

And if Rolex Submariners were inexpensive, (like a Timex or Casio,) and if Submariners were commonplace, I would still want one for all the above reasons.

As for it’s high price, that has never made the Submariner more desirable to me; it has only served as a reason why I’ve never owned one.

Speaking of price, this ad from 1964 is intriguing; I was 5 years old at the time.

Apparently $195.00 was a lot of money for a watch back then, but even adjusting for inflation, that would only equate to around $1,600 today. I’m sure other factors have driven the price up, like technical improvements, name recognition, desirability and status.

Regardless, now that I actually own one of these treasures, it is “the one” for me and no others.

Her maiden voyage...

Thank you, TRF members for educating me and thank you Nima, for helping make my dream a reality!

The iconic Rolex Submariner.

I can’t believe it’s on my wrist and I actually own one!!!

Thank you for taking the time to share in my joy!

God bless you and yours!

Michael

P.S. Photographing the watch has already proven much more challenging than I had anticipated! And “wrist shots” even more so!

Over time I will try to add more pictures to this thread, particularly “vintage still lifes” and “classic wrist shots.”
The $194 in 1964 is $1,615 in today's dollars.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 01:26 AM   #224
avilhena
"TRF" Member

Amazing post and welcome to community! I hope you enjoy your submariner for many years to come!
Old 11 October 2019, 01:48 AM   #225
reecester
"TRF" Member

Great, pictures. Lovely story.
reecester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 01:39 PM   #226
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
What a great post and including the fact that it's a great personal history it's also a great historical marketing course on the probably the worlds most iconic watch.

It influenced millions into buying one, and although I wanted a date version without a cyclops I bought the Sea Dweller (2005 version) instead, but still the Sub you mention is a nicer proportioned watch in my opinion.

And I never was a fan of the maxi dial and hands that came later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Simply awesome post.

You passion runs for this watch runs deep. And exemplifies the best of this hobby and this forum.

Thank you for the time you took to put this together.
Thank you, Blansky and mountainjogger, for the very kind words and for taking the time to post them!

God bless you both,

Michael
Old 12 October 2019, 01:54 PM   #227
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeli Paulo View Post
Added the new “vignette” filter from the new iPhone update to the above photo.

Your story is even better than when I read it months ago. Thank you! What year is your Sub? Case holes mean pre-2003?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 02:23 PM   #228
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Having read through this thread in its entirety, I just want to say congratulations on a fine timepiece and thank you for sharing your fantastic story with us. It's really heartwarming to see how a watch can have so much meaning to someone. Thank you for your service and for the picture updates.
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 02:24 PM   #229
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Your story is even better than when I read it months ago. Thank you! What year is your Sub? Case holes mean pre-2003?
Thanks, No SUBctitute! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed a return voyage through the thread! Adding more pics and stories as I get them!

My original warranty card is dated August 2011, which was just before Rolex moved the Submariner into the ceramic bezels, thicker lugs and new bracelet/clasp.

Was thrilled to get a “safe queen” with the Classic look, while possessing the newest movement. Like scoring a brand new Classic Submariner!

Thanks again for dropping in!

Michael
Old 12 October 2019, 03:00 PM   #230
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Wow, loved this post! Congrats! And I agree, I think the Submariner is the perfect watch. And I love just about every version of it
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 12:24 AM   #231
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
What a great post to read - thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and story
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 01:56 AM   #232
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
thanks for sharing~
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:40 AM   #233
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

great post.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 01:58 PM   #234
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
Best sub made !
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzz73 View Post
Great thread and pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by httr91 View Post
This post is one of the most fun reads on this forum. Thank you for this and for your service! Wear the Sub in good health!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
What a great read - enjoy your sub.
Thank you, gunhose, lzz73, httr91 and Camel! It’s very nice of you to take the time to post your kind comments!

God bless you and yours,

Michael
Old 13 October 2019, 10:31 PM   #235
Chope Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue dial 16618
Michael, I can only agree with the others about the quality of your posts.

I am very glad that you finally got the classical submariner that you really deserve. You have a very comprehensive and nice wife, by the way.

You have perfectly resumed the good spirit that a real enthusiast should have about this pure icon, so far from too common an non-interesting nowadays concerns about investments...

It reminds me my 5513 that I was really lucky to be offered by my parents some 42 years ago (we have the same age by the way). I dreamed for years watching the James Bond movies, reading again and again the advertisements, this before this great gift ...

By the way, I had to go to San Diego for my job, recognized the bridge close to the navy base.

About James Bond and Rolex, I remember having read a Novel from Yan Fleming (not sure of the original title, as it was in French "l'amour l'après-midi" (loving in the after-noon). In that novel, Fleming described the fact that the watch of the man, a spy (James Bond of course) was a Rolex Oyster.

I share with you the love of the 4 or 5 digit shape of a submariner.

2 years ago I made another dream of my youth came true: a 16618 with blue dial.

Thank you again for your excellent post that remind a lot of us our dreams of a classical submariner, a really special Rolex with lot of personality.

Wear it in good health, for long!
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 10:45 PM   #236
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
A Submariner for a submariner. My Tudor Submariner and I say, 'congrats."
Old 16 October 2019, 01:15 PM   #237
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avilhena View Post
Amazing post and welcome to community! I hope you enjoy your submariner for many years to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reecester View Post
Great, pictures. Lovely story.
Thank you, avilhena and reecester for the very kind words!

Michael
Old 17 October 2019, 04:20 AM   #238
Queen_of_Subs
"TRF" Member

Amazing post! You deserve it! Tough to beat a design icon like the Sub.
Queen_of_Subs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 02:23 PM   #239
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nworbled View Post
Having read through this thread in its entirety, I just want to say congratulations on a fine timepiece and thank you for sharing your fantastic story with us. It's really heartwarming to see how a watch can have so much meaning to someone. Thank you for your service and for the picture updates.
Thank you, nworbeled! I’m humbled that you made it through the entire thread, but pleased to hear it! I can’t stop taking pictures of my Submariner, to showcase it’s versatility...(obscure Zoolander reference!) My watch looks exactly the same in every photo, except there’s a different background! :)

Here’s another, heh,heh...

Keep coming back and I’ll keep on snapping pics!!!

Thanks again for your kind words,

Michael
Old 18 October 2019, 10:18 PM   #240
Stellite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Michael, what a great story. Obviously an incredible wife as well. You are a lucky man and deserve all the best in life for your service to this country.

The watch, of course, speaks for itself. Quite possibly the most iconic time piece of all time. From a company that is use to having many firsts in the watch industry and many iconic time pieces.

oh and finally, because my picture taking skills are awful I am stealing every picture in this thread.
Stellite is offline   Reply With Quote