The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28 September 2019, 10:32 AM   #121
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Looks like they finally nailed the colours.

Still isn’t blue. Too much purple in it. The blue on the ceramic Pepsi has never been close to the blue of the BLNR which is actually a true blue color not a ‘blurple’ which is what the Pepsi is. If they can’t get it right by now they never will.
Old 28 September 2019, 11:44 AM   #122
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
I'll say that I just got one a week or two ago and the blue is DARK -- way too dark, to the point where I'm actually really disappointed in the watch because the bezel just doesn't pop and the whole thing just falls flat for me. That would definitely support the existence of a MK3 bezel. However, I also wouldn't be shocked if there were pretty significant color variations bezel-to-bezel. What I've heard from people who seem to be credible on the subject -- take this with a grain of salt, as I have -- is that impossibly small differences in dye/material can create very noticeable differences in colors of ceramics, so that could also be what's going on.
ugh. Sorry to hear that. I'm about to find out tomorrow, but from the pic I saw of mine, it looks rather dark as well
Old 28 September 2019, 11:56 AM   #123
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Of the three pictured, I like the mark 2, which is what I have as well.
Old 28 September 2019, 12:04 PM   #124
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is a plot by Rolex to split the WIS community.
Old 28 September 2019, 12:31 PM   #125
Toony
"TRF" Member

Great post. This is so interesting.
Old 28 September 2019, 12:39 PM   #126
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Great thread! Okay, let's get technical: (and more accurate)

Thanks to the OP for providing all three variations which helps eliminate any possible variations in:

-Angle differences
-lighting abnormalities
-display variances
-abnormal distortion

The hue, tint, shade, etc are technically referred to as Chroma Phase when discussing *electronic* reproductions of images.

Brightness, is called *luminance* and contrast is called *black level* or *set - up*.

Overall color *amount* is *colour saturation*. That is, the combination of luminance, set up and well as phase can make IDENTICAL colors look quite different.

Okay, still with me?

Color interpretation is completely subjective. Everyone sees, say, 'red' differently and even if there was a way to compare the two, slight differences are a fact of life. So, what does this all mean and why am I yapping about it?

To me, It's apparent that there are three versions of that bezel insert. We'll assume this is intentional because the three variations to me: My opinion, all look better with each iteration. The dial numbers also have a thicker, bolder and purer white which improve the look as well. The last insert looks excellent and I doubt it's an 'accident' or QC oversight. We've seen Rolex do very subtle font changes, dial adjustments, etc for decades so this case is not unusual. Quiet and subtle improvements is the Rolex Way so it's not surprising in the least.

Thanks to the OP posting this interesting and informative development.

I stand by my tech assertions but the rest are simply my opinions. These are based on my 25 years as a Feature Film Colourist which may be significant or useless.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 28 September 2019, 02:38 PM   #127
Qinhan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
This is a plot by Rolex to split the WIS community.
...and it's working.
Old 28 September 2019, 06:21 PM   #128
MrPear
"TRF" Member

All adds to the mystique of Rolex and why we go crazy for these things.

Rest assured - if you're sitting on a MK1 BLRO you just know that's going to be THE one to own in 30 years.
Old 28 September 2019, 07:36 PM   #129
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Whatever happened to that Mk3 version, I like it. I think it looks best of the trio. And it can sometimes look nearly black? Coketastic!
Old 28 September 2019, 08:21 PM   #130
VastHorizon
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My MK3 bezel in dim restaurant lighting: a Coke.
The Pepsi comes out in medium-bright lighting.

Old 29 September 2019, 12:16 AM   #131
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
MK3 is the best yet imho
Old 29 September 2019, 12:33 AM   #132
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Mk2 is the best my eyes. Mk3 the blue is just way too dark. Mk1 is cool but the pastel colors are off....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 September 2019, 12:39 AM   #133
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

It's a gradual transition, by the time we're on Mk5 in time for Baselworld 2020, they can call it Coke
Old 29 September 2019, 12:39 AM   #134
VastHorizon
"TRF" Member

126710 Pepsi MK3 Bezel! Could it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Mk2 is the best my eyes. Mk3 the blue is just way too dark. Mk1 is cool but the pastel colors are off....

I wouldn’t say it’s too dark. It’s just... dynamic.
Here’s MK3 in overcast in a car.
Waiting on some direct sunlight to take pics.
The blue and red are perfect.

Old 29 September 2019, 12:42 AM   #135
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
They’re all beautiful ... to my eyes anyway
Old 29 September 2019, 01:05 AM   #136
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Love the Pepsi
Old 29 September 2019, 02:37 AM   #137
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

Agreed.... Wonder what I'll end up with... Someday if I ever get the honor to hand over my$$$
Old 29 September 2019, 02:47 AM   #138
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

Good analysis, thanks for sharing.
Old 29 September 2019, 07:12 AM   #139
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Put me in the camp who believes in a Mk III.

I am the happy owner of a Mk II, when I went to my ADs Basel World event in May, they had a WG Meteorite dial BLRO, I was wearing my SS BLRO and could compare them. I don’t remember noticing much colour difference, but I did notice the brighter font on the WG one.

I didn’t assume that the new Bezel would also appear on the SS version, but now it would seem to me those of us with the Mk II Bezel would have the shortest run $$$$$$! (Jk)

I would say the Mk III is the nicest, but having never seen a Mk I in person, I’d guess that one would be the most “fun”.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old 29 September 2019, 07:52 AM   #140
GovernorsGovernor
"TRF" Member

What does MK mean? Seriously...
Old 29 September 2019, 07:55 AM   #141
jack0
"TRF" Member

I’m a believer of MK3 based on the one I picked up this month vs all the pics I’ve seen of others. I think the MK1 is probably the coolest colour, but the MK3 more practical on the wrist (especially when my other watch is a Hulk).
Old 29 September 2019, 08:12 AM   #142
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernorsGovernor View Post
It stands for mark, which is a synonym of version.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old 29 September 2019, 05:03 PM   #143
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seriously?
Old 29 September 2019, 06:36 PM   #144
Lz4000
"TRF" Member

126710 Pepsi MK3 Bezel! Could it be?

In case anyone is still in doubt of the bezel versions.

See 2 pics attached. One is from May2018 when I tried the the new Basel releases (dummy) on their roadshow at my AD

The other one is from September 2019 when I (finally) bought my BLRO.

Personally I think the MK3 is much much better. It’s basically a coke at night and a BLRO during the day

Btw. “No filter” on both images

Old 30 September 2019, 12:29 AM   #145
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz4000 View Post
In case anyone is still in doubt of the bezel versions.

See 2 pics attached. One is from May2018 when I tried the the new Basel releases (dummy) on their roadshow at my AD

The other one is from September 2019 when I (finally) bought my BLRO.

Personally I think the MK3 is much much better. It’s basically a coke at night and a BLRO during the day

Btw. “No filter” on both images

Trust me I have no doubts, I started the thread, but any photo comparisons really need to be side by side shots in one photo, same time, lighting, etc.

My MK2 can look really dark, or purple or vibrant blue or navy blue all
Depending on the light. Again, I’ve seen what I believe to be the third variation in person and can attest to it being very very dark. Almost black at times, just as you’ve described, but still comparisons really need to be next to one another.
Old 30 September 2019, 12:40 AM   #146
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Internet speak for many hypothetical minuscule changes in colour of inserts for example, or minuscule changes in fonts or font spacing, some only noticed with high magnification.Say Rolex launched a watch at Basel 2010 then someone on the net noticed a minuscule change to say a font on the dial of the same watch.On the net someone will declare it a Mk2 dial a little later someone else will notice a slight dial change then we will have a Mk3 dial and so on.But over the past 50 years there have been hundreds of font, slight colour changes on most all of Rolex models.But now on the net these minuscule changes are hyped to be the greatest things since sliced bread,many hyped by sellers with statements like super rare stick dial etc to drive prices up to those willing to pay.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 30 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #147
cleanupinaisle3
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, DJ41, BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Seriously?

Don’t be flippant. It was an honest question. You didn’t know until you knew, either.

Black Bay 58 Black
Speedmaster Professional
Old 30 September 2019, 09:49 PM   #148
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Internet speak for many hypothetical minuscule changes in colour of inserts for example, or minuscule changes in fonts or font spacing, some only noticed with high magnification.Say Rolex launched a watch at Basel 2010 then someone on the net noticed a minuscule change to say a font on the dial of the same watch.On the net someone will declare it a Mk2 dial a little later someone else will notice a slight dial change then we will have a Mk3 dial and so on.But over the past 50 years there have been hundreds of font, slight colour changes on most all of Rolex models.But now on the net these minuscule changes are hyped to be the greatest things since sliced bread,many hyped by sellers with statements like super rare stick dial etc to drive prices up to those willing to pay.
This again? Seriously?

First off, A simple MK = Mark, which means in this case version or variation, would have sufficed.

Second, This “internet” or fictitious world wide hype web of yours is the reality we live in these days. You think cause someone makes a discovery about a watch, then shares that info on the internet, that somehow disqualifies the actual observation. I started this thread based something I saw with my own eyes. I’m a real person, I saw it at a real AD among real friends. All people that are excited and passionate about this cause it’s supposed to be fun. But go ahead keep calling what I saw with my own eyes “hypothetical” and “so called”.

Third, Variations in dials, bezels and fonts are nothing new to this world, as you’ve also said. They’ve been observed, studied and celebrated for decades, long before your “fantasy internet”. They’ve been documented thoroughly and proven, and quantified in terms of collectibility and value. You can call it hype all you want but these variations and changes are 100% real, and have 100% real value differences. This has been the case for decades even before this fake internet world (that you moderate apparently) existed.

Lastly, I don’t have a fraction of the technical knowledge you have, and I don’t challenge your experiences, but you either live in your own fantasy world or you have absolutely no knowledge of this hobby in terms of collectibility and nuisance. Just cause you don’t care about value, doesn’t mean certain things aren’t more valuable than others. I’ve seen your posts for the past 10 years saying the 16710 with a 3186 movement is worth absolutely nothing more than the 3185 movement.

You wanna claim no technical difference, fine. You want to weigh in that one movement is superior to the other, fine. But stop telling people there’s no difference in value and that it’s fantasy hype.

I wonder how many people sold that watch for the same market price as a 3185 based on your information, losing out on thousands and thousands of dollars cause you refuse to believe there’s an actual market for these small changes. And That’s just one example of your constant nay saying and misinformation. Don’t forget most members here see your posts and info as gospel.

When you tell them a 116500 is nothing more than a small sliver of ceramic and that it’s not even worth the retail value, someone out there might just give away that watch for $12k. Actual market today $22k-26k. Great job you just cost someone over 10k.

If you don’t like the game, don’t play. No one is breaking rules or doing anything to hurt anyone. Whether or not it’s about value retention or just general interest, the rest of us are trying to have fun.
Old 30 September 2019, 10:07 PM   #149
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Just seeing this thread!!!

Wow. What a great OP!!!

Super pictures and I learned a ton. Thanks Chadri.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 30 September 2019, 10:10 PM   #150
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
This again? Seriously?

First off, A simple MK = Mark, which means in this case version or variation, would have sufficed.

Second, This “internet” or fictitious world wide hype web of yours is the reality we live in these days. You think cause someone makes a discovery about a watch, then shares that info on the internet, that somehow disqualifies the actual observation. I started this thread based something I saw with my own eyes. I’m a real person, I saw it at a real AD among real friends. All people that are excited and passionate about this cause it’s supposed to be fun. But go ahead keep calling what I saw with my own eyes “hypothetical” and “so called”.

Third, Variations in dials, bezels and fonts are nothing new to this world, as you’ve also said. They’ve been observed, studied and celebrated for decades, long before your “fantasy internet”. They’ve been documented thoroughly and proven, and quantified in terms of collectibility and value. You can call it hype all you want but these variations and changes are 100% real, and have 100% real value differences. This has been the case for decades even before this fake internet world (that you moderate apparently) existed.

Lastly, I don’t have a fraction of the technical knowledge you have, and I don’t challenge your experiences, but you either live in your own fantasy world or you have absolutely no knowledge of this hobby in terms of collectibility and nuisance. Just cause you don’t care about value, doesn’t mean certain things aren’t more valuable than others. I’ve seen your posts for the past 10 years saying the 16710 with a 3186 movement is worth absolutely nothing more than the 3185 movement.

You wanna claim no technical difference, fine. You want to weigh in that one movement is superior to the other, fine. But stop telling people there’s no difference in value and that it’s fantasy hype.

I wonder how many people sold that watch for the same market price as a 3185 based on your information, losing out on thousands and thousands of dollars cause you refuse to believe there’s an actual market for these small changes. And That’s just one example of your constant nay saying and misinformation. Don’t forget most members here see your posts and info as gospel.

When you tell them a 116500 is nothing more than a small sliver of ceramic and that it’s not even worth the retail value, someone out there might just give away that watch for $12k. Actual market today $22k-26k. Great job you just cost someone over 10k.

If you don’t like the game, don’t play. No one is breaking rules or doing anything to hurt anyone. Whether or not it’s about value retention or just general interest, the rest of us are trying to have fun.

Some great points you make above.

It’s the same in most any “collectors” community. Whether it be baseball cards or Barbie dolls, minuscule changes and mistakes create value based on rarity.

Coins, watches, cars etc. it’s all the same and it’s the interesting stories and details behind the differences that make this, or any collecting hobby, fun and interesting.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Closed Thread