ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 September 2019, 03:15 AM   #61
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
You act like watches are free.

It's one thing to treat watches like stocks, anyone that's been around here long enough knows how silly that is.

It's another thing to observe the market and utilize that information. Not just to select a watch that you feel is a good value, but also to enhance the enjoyment of this hobby as the watch market and collecting in general is fascinating to many of us.

Then there's your take that watches, Rolex specifically, should be treated like a $20 hammer from the hardware store. There's a balance to everything, and while I think the hammer comparison is ridiculous, I appreciate those that truly use their watches for what they are, I just think you don't have a realistic understanding of what they are in the today's world.

This isn't internet fantasy land, as you like to put it, this is simply the internet. This is the world we live in TODAY. This is social media. You're one of the most senior mods on probably the best watch forum on the internet, and you discredit it, and yourself daily by acting like the "internet" serves no useful purpose in this hobby, rather hurts it and is the primary reason for the extinction of the "true enthusiasts". People like you that thinks watches are free and should be used to hammer in nails.

At a certain point it comes off snobby to constantly tell people they are idiots making calculated choices with their money, that they're living in "internet fantasy land". Sometimes it’s like you’re saying if you have to worry about money you're not allowed in this club.

There are plenty of posts and threads that annoy me just as much as they do you, but there's really nothing more annoying than your constant negativity and belittling those that don't share your exact perspectives on what this hobby should be.

BIG FACTS. let us repeat this as often as the statement being regurgitated over and again.

Old 29 September 2019, 03:37 AM   #62
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Well said
Thank you!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 03:37 AM   #63
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Well put. And very well said.

Agree with your sentiment.
Thanks bro!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 04:05 AM   #64
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:

It's one thing to treat watches like stocks, anyone that's been around here long enough knows how silly that is.

It's another thing to observe the market and utilize that information. Not just to select a watch that you feel is a good value, but also to enhance the enjoyment of this hobby as the watch market and collecting in general is fascinating to many of us.

Then there's your take that watches, Rolex specifically, should be treated like a $20 hammer from the hardware store. There's a balance to everything, and while I think the hammer comparison is ridiculous, I appreciate those that truly use their watches for what they are, I just think you don't have a realistic understanding of what they are in the today's world.

This isn't internet fantasy land, as you like to put it, this is simply the internet. This is the world we live in TODAY. This is social media. You're one of the most senior mods on probably the best watch forum on the internet, and you discredit it, and yourself daily by acting like the "internet" serves no useful purpose in this hobby, rather hurts it and is the primary reason for the extinction of the "true enthusiasts". People like you that thinks watches are free and should be used to hammer in nails.

At a certain point it comes off snobby to constantly tell people they are idiots making calculated choices with their money, that they're living in "internet fantasy land". Sometimes it’s like you’re saying if you have to worry about money you're not allowed in this club.

There are plenty of posts and threads that annoy me just as much as they do you, but there's really nothing more annoying than your constant negativity and belittling those that don't share your exact perspectives on what this hobby should be.

Agreed-
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 04:21 AM   #65
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow. I don't think I have seen another post agreed with so much without rebuke. I agree with a lot of what you say too. I think that it essentially comes down to whether you are a collector or a connoisseur, a question also posed recently.

If you are a collector, never sell a watch and so treat them as dead money once purchased then all this talk about values and "investment" must be infuriating. If you like to change watches, have a fluid collection and like to enjoy all the watch world has to offer then value retention is certainly important.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 29 September 2019, 04:31 AM   #66
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Wow. I don't think I have seen another post agreed with so much without rebuke. I agree with a lot of what you say too. I think that it essentially comes down to whether you are a collector or a connoisseur, a question also posed recently.

If you are a collector, never sell a watch and so treat them as dead money once purchased then all this talk about values and "investment" must be infuriating. If you like to change watches, have a fluid collection and like to enjoy all the watch world has to offer then value retention is certainly important.

Regardless of what your position is, value retention, if such a think is possible, should be important to all

Otherwise money means nothing to you - which I know is true for some
Old 29 September 2019, 04:39 AM   #67
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post

all real collectors i know have fluid collections and just a few pieces that stay long time. they buy many watches and sell many as well. so value retention is a serious issue and not infuriating at all.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 04:42 AM   #68
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Really hope it is continued, so we can get a normal sized one with a SB dial.

And if it has a non-PCL bracelet it would be a bonus.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 04:44 AM   #69
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
Regardless of what your position is, value retention, if such a think is possible, should be important to all

I am certainly conscious of value retention. Completely agree with you there. When I buy a high value item: car, house, watch etc, I think in terms of a perceived maximum loss, not purchase price. Therefore "expected" value retention, which differs from person to person, plays a huge part in my decision process. As I don't expect to NEED to sell anything
(wanting to sell is obviously different) in the medium term it doesn't dominate my decisions, but I am certainly conscious of it.

Old 29 September 2019, 04:53 AM   #70
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
all real collectors i know have fluid collections and just a few pieces that stay long time. they buy many watches and sell many as well. so value retention is a serious issue and not infuriating at all.
Fair enough. I know you have a serious collection so respect the opinion.

If value retention is a serious issue for real collectors, connoisseurs, as well as the new age Instagram flippers then perhaps it is only when it appears to be more important than the watch itself that people get annoyed and lash out on here as we so often see.

Old 29 September 2019, 04:57 AM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it will come back with new mvmnt in WG but maybe with sunburst dial.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 05:05 AM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Indeed it is, I actually really noticed how important it was a few years ago before the mad hype, on the Patek forum, of all places, and on the grand comps costing over £100K. There was alot of undisguised investment and hope it is discoed soon talk on these pieces which seemed was perfectly acceptable at this price level, and yet I thought these were the people who would least care if their watches depreciated or if they rose in value, but money is money and kudos is kudos, so then when the hype came for the lowly Nautilus I understood straight away that many whales would come back in for this simple watch as the mindset was already there, and thus the price would rocket.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 05:07 AM   #73
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Quote:

Thanks for saying what we were all thinking.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 05:32 AM   #74
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Way to go Chad. Love what I just read. You are right on the money. Reality sucks sometimes for others.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 06:45 AM   #75
FTX I
"TRF" Member

One thing must be said on Peter's defense here. Even being a mod I've never seen him using his power to censor anyone who happens to disagree with him or his views, even if the member's opinion is expressed with evident lack of class and politeness. The forum is a lightly moderated free world where every opinion can be shared and this is awesome.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 06:54 AM   #76
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I don't know about this. I own a Smurf, which does not hold value well, and I love it very much. If I sell it for a lot, or a little, does not matter to me. It is a sunk cost, I spent what I spent, and doubt if I see that money again.

If I buy a sports jacket, I do not think about value retention. I bought a new Mercedes sports car. Will it retain value? I doubt it, but I bought it anyway and enjoy the heck out of it.

To some people, value retention is important, to others not so much.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 07:40 AM   #77
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I don't know about this. I own a Smurf, which does not hold value well, and I love it very much. If I sell it for a lot, or a little, does not matter to me. It is a sunk cost, I spent what I spent, and doubt if I see that money again.

If I buy a sports jacket, I do not think about value retention. I bought a new Mercedes sports car. Will it retain value? I doubt it, but I bought it anyway and enjoy the heck out of it.

To some people, value retention is important, to others not so much.
That is an extremely poor analogy.

I understand what you are trying to say. But sport jackets retain zero value. Cars are a depreciating asset, nearly 100% of the time. Watches, in today’s world, are an entirely different animal. I can right now name a dozen watches that when bought at retail are intently worth 50% or more than purchase price.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 07:44 AM   #78
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
One thing must be said on Peter's defense here. Even being a mod I've never seen him using his power to censor anyone who happens to disagree with him or his views, even if the member's opinion is expressed with evident lack of class and politeness. The forum is a lightly moderated free world where every opinion can be shared and this is awesome.
My friend, half the regular old school membership is gone. Banned.

That’s not an exact number. Clearly. But you’ve been around a long time. So many great members gone.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 07:55 AM   #79
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s not an exact number. Clearly. But you’ve been around a long time. So many great members gone.
I know that buddy. Unfortunately. Mon and BC are the ones I miss the most for different reasons, but both had multiple warnings before getting banned. Peter repeats his opinions everyday and I've seen relatively new members quoting him with nasty replies and nothing happened. Many times. He seems to enjoy the controversy. Apart from that he's here participating with everyone and just him and Adam can be seen here posting regularly so I won't complain.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 08:52 AM   #80
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for saying what many of us feel!
6120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 09:56 AM   #81
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Frankly Peter, I find it tough to swallow that a mod of this epic forum would have those contrarian views. It seems contradictory to the spirit of the impartiality required of forum mods. Care to illuminate your views with a rebuttal or counterpoint?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 10:33 AM   #82
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Tough love. Necessary and on point. Thanks.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 10:50 AM   #83
klenboy
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t matter what everyone’s views are. I’m thankful to own the watches I have and able to get.

Will only matter if opinions prevent me from getting watches I want.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 10:53 AM   #84
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think it will come back with new mvmnt in WG but maybe with sunburst dial.
Pretty please
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 11:45 AM   #85
a_plus1234
"TRF" Member

I say- quit the bitch'n about the bitch'n. If you don't like one's comment, suck it up. Who cares what other ppl think. This is a forum where all opinions are welcome- positive or negative. Ppl get butt hurt so easily. I've seen many members come and go and how it has changed over the years.

Things change- adapt and get over it. These are just watches
a_plus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:31 PM   #86
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
You have said that same thing 1,000 times!
You’ve only been here 3 months and you’ve seen it 1000 times! Imagine how many times we’ve heard same rants. It’s a back and forth between this and how the ceramic Daytona is not special and mass produced.... yawn
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:36 PM   #87
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Quote:

Gone but not forgotten. Guys get worn out on the same non sense and lame topics. Any true discussion gets shut down, and often ends with infraction points, warnings, etc. some banned, some said Adios.....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:42 PM   #88
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Really hope it is continued, so we can get a normal sized one with a SB dial.

And if it has a non-PCL bracelet it would be a bonus.

Bingo! I would love to see your version!
Old 29 September 2019, 01:40 PM   #89
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
I was hesitating over 116619LB for quite some time and saw it more than a couple of times. So far was not able to swallow up kind of this milky blue colour of dial an bezel. A couple of weeks ago saw by chance blue Pelagos and though they were not side by side I believe there is a great chance of two colours being identical. I just hope 126619LB pops up with another type of blue colour. I would throw myself in if that blue is the same like DD40 deconstructed Roman numerals.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 02:12 PM   #90
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
BTW if true it means 116618LB going out as well. I wonder whether R will shut the TT as well?
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote