The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

Voiding warranty

So, I work in the NYC area and decided to stop by the service center in the Rolex building on 53rd just to have them take a look at a used Sub I bought to ensure it was legit, even though I was 99.9% it checked out, which is what I was told I should do by an AD as the best way to do so.

I had the warranty card with me and handed it to the customer service rep when I handed it over, which had the name of the original purchaser crossed out with a sharpie.

15 minutes later they came back and told me the watch checks out, but that any remaining warranty time (which is over 2 years) has now been voided because it had been bought from someone that was not the original owner.

As long as nothing goes wrong the next couple of years it's not a big deal, but I'm just curious if this is standard/am I a moron for showing them the warranty card with original owners name crossed out?

Thanks.
Saltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:06 AM   #2
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What? Warranty travels with the watch.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
What's the difference in how many owners? As illiguy says the warranty follows the watch not the first owner only..I'd follow up and ask another AD or call RSC if they may answer a general question.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

They told me that if I had bought it directly from the original owner it was OK, but the fact that I bought it from a middle man voids out the warranty.

I'm not even gonna make it a thing unless the watch needs service the next 2 years, at which point I will lose my mind if I am charged for anything that would normally be covered.

Just not understanding why I was told what I was in a world where everyone is buying these things used and from a million different sources just like I did.
Old 15 October 2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The warranty goes with the watch regardless how many times it changes hand.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:23 AM   #6
cbiggs
"TRF" Member

Just have the AD send it in. I can’t see why the warranty wouldn’t travel with the watch. I’m sure if there were some sort of fine print attached to the warranty, we would have heard about it by now...

Where can we find the details of the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The warranty goes with the watch regardless how many times it changes hand.
Even if the name is crossed off on the warranty card, correct?
Old 15 October 2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Even if there were no warranty card (say lost) it's still recorded at orig. purchase.... Anyway you probably wont need it..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:47 AM   #9
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I thought the point of the card being filled out is that it registered the in service date. I have called RSC before and asked this question I was told warranty valid through the term even if sold second hand. Rolex extended their standard warranty coverage I believe 2015, from 2 to 5 years. That in my opinion was another reason the secondary market prices increased, now more watches resold under remaining warranty, increases value.
Old 15 October 2019, 11:49 AM   #10
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I read somewhere that the same thing happened with a Tudor GMT. Someone bought the GMT second hand with warranty to spare. Took it to RSC with the warranty card, and was told they needed to provide proof of receipt from the AD in order to be covered by the warranty for the date change issue.

Not sure if there is more to the story or not, but it’s still worrisome because I always understood the warranty follows the watch.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:50 AM   #11
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

NYC RSC is known (at least here on TRF) as being very strict about things like this. Your watch will probably have no issues and warranty will be valid at any other RSC.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

The thing that pisses me off is that I brought the card specifically to HELP in verifying the watch and it wound up possibly screwing me.

I am actually a fan of the whole 'we don't need your business' thumbing their noses at people Rolex attitude, but voiding a warranty for having the audacity of having them verify that a watch was actually made by them is taking that a step too far.

Again, here's to hoping it's a moot point before it organically expires in a couple of years.
Old 15 October 2019, 11:59 AM   #13
MisterG12
"TRF" Member

Local AD told me yesterday that that Rolex will not honor warranty if the name on the card is not the original owner. I told her the warranty followed the watch and not the owner. She told me she went to Rolex training recently, and this is what she was told. I thank her for her service and went on my way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MisterG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:02 PM   #14
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterG12 View Post
Local AD told me yesterday that that Rolex will not honor warranty if the name on the card is not the original owner. I told her the warranty followed the watch and not the owner. She told me she went to Rolex training recently, and this is what she was told. I thank her for her service and went on my way.

....and there it is.

Super terrific!
Old 15 October 2019, 12:03 PM   #15
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

What happens if you 'lost the card' when you bring it in?

Are they really gonna punish everyone that doesn't know this policy and brings in the card with crossed off name going forward, cause that truly sucks if it's the case.
Old 15 October 2019, 12:21 PM   #16
matt_Denver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (no date)
Quote:

I was told the same thing by my AD. He explained that if I were to resell the watch to someone else, since I am not an AD the warranty is void. I gave him the example of buying it as a gift and he said he could write their name on the warranty card at the time or purchase. Maybe AD's are getting more strict because they are frustrated with the grays, that is just my 2 cents.
matt_Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:37 PM   #17
MisterG12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_Denver View Post
I was told the same thing by my AD. He explained that if I were to resell the watch to someone else, since I am not an AD the warranty is void. I gave him the example of buying it as a gift and he said he could write their name on the warranty card at the time or purchase. Maybe AD's are getting more strict because they are frustrated with the grays, that is just my 2 cents.

She did mention that If buying as a gift to make sure the recipients name is on it... who knows.

MisterG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:43 PM   #18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltzy View Post
They told me that if I had bought it directly from the original owner it was OK, but the fact that I bought it from a middle man voids out the warranty.
You might want to print out the following from Rolex's site since it makes no mention of second-hand or third-hand purchases. The card was named and dated at the time of purchase so being crossed out with Sharpie shouldn't matter but might be why they said yours was voided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex.com
Rolex guarantees the proper functioning of its watches for a period of five years from the date of purchase. The Rolex guarantee excludes normal wear-and-tear (notably the wear-and-tear of non-metal bracelets and straps), loss, theft, or damage due to misuse. The substitution of components with, or the addition of, components or accessories not manufactured by Rolex will invalidate the guarantee. The guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer; (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase; and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to an Official Rolex Retailer or to an Official Rolex Service Centre. Any work carried out by third parties will render the guarantee null and void.
Source: https://www.rolex.com/services/faq.html
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:45 PM   #19
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Bad news if you bought a preowned Rolex and need service.

However, I can see used prices going down as a result.
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:48 PM   #20
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
What happens if you 'lost the card' when you bring it in?

Are they really gonna punish everyone that doesn't know this policy and brings in the card with crossed off name going forward, cause that truly sucks if it's the case.
Yes. If you lose the card then you are to present the invoice or Proof of Purchase from the AD. This is where it’s all headed.
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:52 PM   #21
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

As long as this thing doesn't need servicing between now and 3/22 it's not a big deal.

If it does and they charge me full price when it absolutely should be covered by warranty, I am gonna lose my mind.

Does Rolex literally just change the rules on the fly with no warning or notice at all?
Old 15 October 2019, 12:54 PM   #22
maylebox
"TRF" Member

Last year I bought a 2 year old 214270 from a guy on Craigslist. He had misplaced the receipt and warranty card but purchased it from a local AD. Since the AD had the info on file we met there to do the deal. I called the Dallas RSC before going and explained the situation. She said if I received a copy of the warranty card and receipt then I would be covered for the remainder of the warranty. The RSC also strongly suggested that I get a signed bill of sale from the seller as additional documentation. The AD had the receipt and warranty card copy on file so all was good. I also had the seller sign a bill of sale and the deal was done. Bonus: two days later the seller called and said he'd found the warranty card.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:58 PM   #23
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Does Rolex literally just change the rules on the fly with no warning or notice at all?
Rolex.com always has the latest iteration. Terms are also laid out in the warranty booklet normally included with new watches. Check that if you have it and show it to RSC. But, if you don't need warranty service then it's probably not worth arguing. Chances of needing warranty service are immeasurably small anyway.

As suggested above, you can submit for warranty through an authorized dealer if RSC won't accept it directly.

My guess is that they pushed back because you weren't submitting a warranty claim. Had something failed and you were making a claim, I suspect they would have accepted it.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:00 PM   #24
rolex01
"TRF" Member

RSC will void a valid warranty card that has a name but was strucked off. It is considered as a tempered warranty card. Previously I was told the warranty follow the watch and NOT the name on the warranty card as long as is clear with no signs of alteration or tempered, they will honor the warranty. The owner of the watch is the person who bring it to RSC for service and they do not follow the original owner name written on the card.
rolex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:01 PM   #25
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
This really needs to be validated because you pay a premium for a recently purchased and sold Rolex. This a big deal.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:04 PM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The grey market like DavidSW (and everyone else) uses the dated warranty card as a reference to establish price. Notice on their site “remainder of warranty” always is highlighted. My guess is the OP spoke to yet another untrained Rolex employee. There is a difference with a legal warranty in black and white verses being caddy and difficult.

The issue sounds like the name was crossed out on the card with a sharpie and that set off the red flags. Why and who crossed out the original name on the warranty card with a sharpie pen??
Old 15 October 2019, 01:09 PM   #27
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The grey market like DavidSW (and everyone else) uses the dated warranty card as a reference to establish price. Notice on their site “remainder of warranty” always is highlighted.
Yes, and this helps gauge the premium. If the watch you’re buying has a useless warranty, that must be factored in and the price adjusted accordingly. I don’t get too hung up on this because I’ve never had a bad Rolex or a warranty need, but paying a few thousand in premium for a recently bought and sold Rolex that has zero warranty should worry everyone. It should definitely not be advertised as such either. None of this banter has ever been verified but this recent use case seems pretty legit.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:12 PM   #28
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

I can't say for sure (and hope to not to have to find out), but the way she said it felt very official.

As in a 'We have swiped the card through a machine and formally voided the remainder of the warranty on this watch everywhere' sounding kind of official.
Old 15 October 2019, 01:17 PM   #29
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I can't say for sure (and hope to not to have to find out), but the way she said it felt very official.

As in a 'We have swiped the card through a machine and formally voided the remainder of the warranty on this watch everywhere' sounding kind of official.

The issue sounds like the name was crossed out on the card with a sharpie and that set off the red flags. Why and who crossed out the original name on the warranty card with a sharpie pen??
Old 15 October 2019, 01:19 PM   #30
blada4life
"TRF" Member

This is complete BS. Read the UCC. Warranty follows product unless EXPRESSLY (keyword) limited. There is literally no fine print that I’m aware of when buying the watch. It’s advertised as with warranty. I can’t attest to the booklet they give but to those who read it, are those exclusions outlined? If not I smell a lawsuit. This type of crap doesn’t work in the US.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote