The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2019, 09:03 AM   #1
rbl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bark DD
Scratches/scuffs on polished center links?

So I’ve had brushed stainless GMT’s and Subs, and have a bark day date. The bark day date seems like it’s almost immune to swirls and noticeable scratches. Obviously they are there, given how soft 18K gold is, but they are well hidden. Of course the stainless gets scuffs etc, but it sometimes matches the tool watch motif. However, I’ve never had a center link polished oyster bracelet.

How noticeable are the scratches and swirls, associated with just regular use? At least in comparison to a brushed stainless oyster. Generally speaking I don’t worry all that much about scratches, but I was just curious. Thx
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 09:07 AM   #2
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Depends on person/use.
A year later, my BLNR looks like new.
Old 18 October 2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Depends on person/use.
A year later, my BLNR looks like new.
Agree. Really depends.

For some it can be weeks and for others years.

For brushed SS watches I wear them like there’s no tomorrow and they get their share of patina. For watches with PCLs, I do baby them. I don’t like that swirled/scratched look personally.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Depends how picky you are but they are noticeable to me. I have a SkyD with PCL and I definitely notice small lines and scuffs especially at the clasp from regular use. I also have small lines on the case.

I am not hard on my watches but I also don’t baby them. PCL are definitely not the same as my SubC band.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 09:52 AM   #5
watchshot94
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36
Enjoy life. Don’t worry about scratches, it’s just a watch.
My PCL after 6 months are all scratched...I bought to use.

watchshot94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:01 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Content advisory: the following images are not for the faint of heart. If hairline scratches, scuffs, dings, and dents bother you. Close your eyes now to avoid nausea, anxiety, and disgust. You have been warned.

Here you go OP

kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:02 AM   #7
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchshot94 View Post

Old 18 October 2019, 12:43 PM   #8
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I alternate mostly between white and pink gold oyster. Both still look great after a few years of wear.

PCL are just beautiful.
Old 18 October 2019, 01:56 PM   #9
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Content advisory: the following images are not for the faint of heart. If hairline scratches, scuffs, dings, and dents bother you. Close your eyes now to avoid nausea, anxiety, and disgust. You have been warned.

Here you go OP

I was expecting far worse with that lead in. That's nothing! Looks great!
Old 18 October 2019, 02:14 PM   #10
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
Switch out to a Glidelock sub bracelet

When I owned my GMT IIC, I had the center polished links brushed by Rolex. Yes, the watch was sent to Dallas by the AD, and Rolex brushed the center links. I have since sold it. The an all brushed bracelet design is classic and timeless.

When I purchase the new Coke GMT (if and when), I plan to switch out the bracelet to a Glidelock bracelet like many on the forum have done. The all brushed bracelet is so much more robust and just better looking in my opinion.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 07:41 PM   #11
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Wear it like you stole it like you should. The center links will looked brushed after a few months .If you don't wear it much and touch it up every time you get a mark don't get it !
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 08:46 PM   #12
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I routinely cover the clasp on my Rolex watches with 3M protective film whether they are stainless or gold. I replace it every couple of months and find the brushed or polished surface is pristine underneath the film. It seems like breathing on gold will cause it to scratch.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 09:35 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl View Post
So I’ve had brushed stainless GMT’s and Subs, and have a bark day date. The bark day date seems like it’s almost immune to swirls and noticeable scratches. Obviously they are there, given how soft 18K gold is, but they are well hidden. Of course the stainless gets scuffs etc, but it sometimes matches the tool watch motif. However, I’ve never had a center link polished oyster bracelet.

How noticeable are the scratches and swirls, associated with just regular use? At least in comparison to a brushed stainless oyster. Generally speaking I don’t worry all that much about scratches, but I was just curious. Thx
Look a very simple fact all watches will get scratches whether they have polished centre links or not.But in today's wearers who in general give there watches a very pampered life.All these in most cases tiny marks swirls etc easily rectified at normal routine service.After service watch will be like new only to get scratched in normal wearing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 09:55 PM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Son even with serious swirls and scuffs in the PCL’s, they are most noticeable to you up close. I use my watches as true sport watches and that is the case for my Daytona, it’s now 5 years old. I find the swirls also tone down the shine factor a bit which I find as a good thing. I have no plans to ever have the bracelet polished even if it should need service. Perhaps when I pass it on to the kids maybe then.

Hold out the watch at arms length and they all but disappear and the contrast of the PCL’s and brushed part is what you notice.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:07 AM   #15
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:

Not bad at all, just take care of your expensive watch
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 03:22 AM   #16
Chronokid
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: One I'm wearing!
For a long time, I wore my 116710LN on a RubberB with Rolex Clasp (which I enjoy) because the scratches and desk diving swirls drove me crazy, but I've gone back to the factory bracelet for best all-round comfort and appearance and just don't worry about the daily scuffs and scratches anymore! Aging eyes helps, too!
Chronokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:03 AM   #17
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
I was expecting far worse with that lead in. That's nothing! Looks great!

Considering it’s short duration of ownership and having already been up as high as 12,000 ft and as low as 30m below sea level, I tend to agree
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 06:54 AM   #18
ddubb
"TRF" Member

I’m attaching a couple pics of 2 of my PCL clasps: one of my Daytona the other of my Bluesy. I’ve had them both for a little over a year and they started developing scratches and swirls immediately. I actually quite like the patina, and it can really only be seen up close; from a distance they still sparkle and shine.

(Apologies if the pics aren’t super clear - tapatalk is making me pay for vip to post higher quality pics)

ddubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:03 AM   #19
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Quote:

blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:20 AM   #20
THC

Watch: 16610M
Love PCLs ... in the sunshine the band glows
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:03 AM   #21
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes
Quote:

If you don't worry about scratches, it's a non-issue. My PCLs have just a couple of hairlines, no swirls, basically still looks new after about a year. I don't really worry about it, but I also don't put it in harm's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Son even with serious swirls and scuffs in the PCL’s, they are most noticeable to you up close. I use my watches as true sport watches and that is the case for my Daytona, it’s now 5 years old. I find the swirls also tone down the shine factor a bit which I find as a good thing. I have no plans to ever have the bracelet polished even if it should need service. Perhaps when I pass it on to the kids maybe then.

Hold out the watch at arms length and they all but disappear and the contrast of the PCL’s and brushed part is what you notice.
Maybe you could leave it unpolished when you pass it on to the kids. The marks from years of use will be like it's telling a story. When the kids get it in their hands, they can deal with the dilemma of whether to polish or not.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:12 AM   #22
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
If you wear on the left hand definitely will collect some scratches on the 12 o'clock side of the bracelet, and on the clasp. I am sure you probably have developed a manner in which you wear the watch and try to be safe with it. But nothing a regular service will not be able to clean up.
Old 19 October 2019, 11:44 AM   #23
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

My experience is that it will scratch easier, but nothing problematic.

I had a WG Rolex which has a nasty scratch on the 6 o' clock bracelet- I was packing up the MacBook Pro in a rush and had the edge of the computer hit the bracelet and made a nasty sound and there you go. Pretty obvious gash on that, and it's a ugly scratch, but c'est la vie.

My current daily- SS z-blue- doing the dishes and cleaning the all-clad pan when the edge of the pan hit the bezel- horrible sound and I thought I had chipped the sapphire. In certain lighting I don't even see the scratch on the bezel.

I still love gold Rolexes and hope to get another one sometime.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 02:33 PM   #24
Maverick686
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
The photos on this thread aren't bad at all.

I've my BLNR for about 2 years, and it took about a year for them to get noticeable swirls and scratches. They're much more noticeable then on brushed bracelets, but from a normal distance you don't really notice them.

However, it did start driving me a little bit nuts. My BLNR is my daily driver, I wear it about 80% of the time. I've worn it driving a motorbike in Asia nearly every day, it's been snorkeling, and it always travels with me. It probably gets more wear then others on this forum.

I recently bought a 97200 Sub bracelet for my GMT, and I love it. It's not quite as flashy, it's more scratch resistant, and the glidelock is great.

I'm traveling at the moment, but when I get back I'll take some photos of my BLNR braclet with PCLs. Then you'll see what 2 years of pretty hard use looks like.

That being said, RSC will likely make it new in 10 years, if I wanted.

You always have the option of buying a sub bracelet or brushing the center links if you don't like them.
Maverick686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 03:49 PM   #25
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Guys. They are watches. They are to be worn. They will develop scratches. They will become ‘un-new’

Exercise general care, wear them when appropriate e.g. not when breaking concrete or cleaning out the loft - for these times wear a SKX013 as it can handle anything and not show damage

In short, enjoy them, don’t baby them, and don’t sweat the small stuff
Old 19 October 2019, 04:35 PM   #26
GovernorsGovernor
"TRF" Member

OP, if you had to ask this question, then you already have your answer: You should stay away from PCLs.

You should consider watches with brushed bracelets, or jubilees (which, though polished, do a masterful job of hiding scratches).
GovernorsGovernor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 02:57 AM   #27
ducatiti
Banned

know that most if not all would not approve of this but I went the Zagg way of protecting my new DJ41, for both case sides and clasp.

No need to baby my DJ with the Zagg skin and best of all, you will be the only one who knows that these are installed. Virtually invisible especially from a third person's view. Not only that, no more finger prints when you are handling the watch... none at all.

These are the same high quality Zagg brand which are known and used for mostly phone protection. Full clasp coverage to include the side of the clasps and case.

I plan to write a review but here is a quick picture for now of the clasp with Zagg installed.

ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 04:45 AM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

Here you go OP

Completely unrelated to /thread but I just love the green crystal on the Milgauss, that green is just perfect.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 05:03 AM   #29
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Completely unrelated to /thread but I just love the green crystal on the Milgauss, that green is just perfect.
Me too!

I don't like the second hand, so the Milgauss won't end up in my collection, but that green in the crystal is awesome.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 05:07 AM   #30
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:

I never understood people giving this advice. Different people worry about different things, and if scratches on PCLs bother someone, that doesn't make them wrong. Just accept they are different.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote