The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2013, 04:50 AM   #1
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
An observation ....

For what it is worth. I joined this forum in 2005. There were very few of us and it was laid back and cordial. A few years later I took a long break from posting but would lurk occasionally. I have come back recently solely because of my interest in Panerai after many years of owning various Rolex and thinking that no other watch brand would interest me.

When I try to participate in the Rolex or Open threads on TRF I see the same thing again and again. Inane, repetitive questions. Insanely stupid nicknames for watches that have reference numbers. People constantly bragging about their cars, watches, and wealth. Posts about whether their Rolex match their cars, boats, diamond rings, and well, you get the point. And of course all too many posts quickly turning into arguments and name calling.

This little Panerai section of the forum has none of that. I see no bragging despite the fact that many of its participants can wear any watch they want. I have yet to see a fight. No name calling or snippy answers. No posts just for the sake of posting. I see friendly banter and helpful advice.

Just wanted to say "well done" to those that participate in this PAM section and thereby make it a pleasant place to visit.
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 04:59 AM   #2
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
I rather enjoy it here. I don't mind people showing other things they like next to wristwatches which we all like on here!
I have made some very fine and good friends here, thanks to TRF.
And most of us here are comfortable in their own skin, I am sure
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 05:02 AM   #3
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great group of fellow PAM lovers here.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 07:01 AM   #4
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
I too have made some friends here on TRF! Welcome back, Andy!
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 07:20 AM   #5
mfer
"TRF" Member

I see a lot of your points. I don't hang out in the modern Rolex area much, but I when I do I go over the posts pretty quickly. There is a lot of good info and people there, but this place has grown quickly. You get the same questions over and over again, and I think they are answered pretty well. The show boating.....I just ignore it. Still, this is far and away my favorite forum on the net.

To your point though...Panerai's are sweet and so are the folks here!

iPhone shot of the day. Boom!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Gottahaverolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 42mm Polar
Panerai owners are a cool bunch of people. I enjoy our little corner of the forum also. Your comments are part of the reason I sold my Rolexes and came back to Panerai. The community of Paneristis has no equal. Cheers!
Gottahaverolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 10:55 AM   #7
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
this is a very nice section of the TRF (especially for we Prius drivers who've got nothing about which to brag ;-) )
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Rodentman
Banned

Andy, I quite agree. I have made similar points in the past. I have twice as many Panerai as Rolexes. I like them all, but the PAM's get 90% of the wrist time. Then there's the straps...
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 11:32 AM   #9
badgtho
"TRF" Member

My panerai matches my ripped jeans and VW golf quite well.

Welcome :)
CA1215 Formula 1 Chrono
Etc...
badgtho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I enjoy the more thoughtful posts within the sub-groups (AP, PP, Panerai) however I do try to participate in the main forums as I feel obliged to payback the help I've received over the years. Juvenile sometimes? Repetitive? Sure but you take the good with the bad.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 09:28 PM   #11
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
Well said. The Paneristis are just a cooler breed than the OCD Rolexers.
Old 27 June 2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i'm not sure if the posts are, on average, more thoughtful in the sub-forums, or if there's just less noise compared to the main forum. either way, i do enjoy reading and contributing to the AP and panerai sub-forums (and being awe struck by the PP sub-forum ).

as for the main board, i think what goes on is a reflection of the board's popularity, meaning there are a LOT of people posting with a number of different perspectives on the brand and why they're posting. just like in real life, i don't let the obnoxious ones bother me at all.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 10:20 PM   #13
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
All of TRF is 1000000% better than 99.999% of other forums. Try spending 10 minutes on a car forum... or worse ask a question about a video game.... uuggghhhh Mostly gentlemen here.
Old 27 June 2013, 10:39 PM   #14
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
All of TRF is 1000000% better than 99.999% of other forums. Try spending 10 minutes on a car forum... or worse ask a question about a video game.... uuggghhhh Mostly gentlemen here.
Agree. Whatever we are doing here, let's keep it up!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
I can't speak for the rest of the forum (hell, I just got my very first Rolex, ever, yesterday... lol) but I can say that of the five WIS forums I'm a member of, TRF is one of my favorite, if not favorite, Panerai [sub-]forums...

There's a lot of know-how here as well as nice people to "converse" with. I won't lie, if I need to go deep, deep into vintage Panerai territory, TRF won't be my first choice but nevertheless, I have more posts here than in any other WIS forum

Keep it up guys
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 11:17 PM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
My feeling is the OP is being a bit harsh, sure there are repetitive questions, that is part of the learning process.... And sure there is juvenile subject matter from time to time, but i take it for what it is and move along if its not my interest, hopefully it is respectful (if its not, it gets sorted quick enough)

I mostly browse the forum directly from the "new posts" link, so i am all over...this satisfies my general watch education and exposes me to many different interests... Of course i will frequent 1 section or another when i am on the hunt along with my OCD but i will then return to the community in general which i find to be well rounded & pleasant.

Panerai community is a part of this great community as a whole, but i dont think it is so easy to separate it from the rest, many of the members contributing in panerai are contributing in other sections as well.

Perhaps this vs that is fine between two watches, but not as much between groups of people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRolexRyan View Post
Well said. The Paneristis are just a cooler breed than the OCD Rolexers.
The term DNA is just a synonym for OCD... Paneristis own both, hands down!

Old 28 June 2013, 12:18 AM   #17
tabula rasa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatia View Post
For what it is worth. I joined this forum in 2005. There were very few of us and it was laid back and cordial. A few years later I took a long break from posting but would lurk occasionally. I have come back recently solely because of my interest in Panerai after many years of owning various Rolex and thinking that no other watch brand would interest me.

When I try to participate in the Rolex or Open threads on TRF I see the same thing again and again. Inane, repetitive questions. Insanely stupid nicknames for watches that have reference numbers. People constantly bragging about their cars, watches, and wealth. Posts about whether their Rolex match their cars, boats, diamond rings, and well, you get the point. And of course all too many posts quickly turning into arguments and name calling.

This little Panerai section of the forum has none of that. I see no bragging despite the fact that many of its participants can wear any watch they want. I have yet to see a fight. No name calling or snippy answers. No posts just for the sake of posting. I see friendly banter and helpful advice.

Just wanted to say "well done" to those that participate in this PAM section and thereby make it a pleasant place to visit.
i guess its the nature of the sub-forum..

sometime it is a change of scenery from the main bits..
tabula rasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 02:43 AM   #18
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
Good point Subtona!
Old 28 June 2013, 03:00 AM   #19
Rodentman
Banned

Not all Panerai afficianados are OCD or into DNA. I, for one, am not. I won't buy a plexi crystal watch like a Omega moonwatch or PAM 372. I bought the Sapphire Sandwich Omega and PAM 423 instead, both of which often get bad-mouthed as not in keeping with the "spirit" of the brand or its origins.

To which I let off a gigantic BFD because I don't give a Tinker's Cuss what anyone else thinks. They can collectively drive off into the sunset in their BMW, Audi, or whatever OCD DNA car they're pushing (literally) this week.

My single glue Scotch Tape costs more than yours!
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 09:44 AM   #20
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
All I browse are the sub forums, probably for the same reason, don' want to see the same questions or discussions over and over again....
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 09:59 AM   #21
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I don't Pam yet but look over the new post tab which led me to this. You are so right.
It's the price of growing into a larger community I guess, as such I feel TRF is a far better overall forum than any out there. Which reminds me....need to contribute.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 04:35 PM   #22
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Please...
I'll have to disagree with your observation as I see similar types of posts on all sub-forums...Incoming, next watch, straps, help me decide, what are you wearing....etc.
They are all the same you just see less of it because this sub forum averages what, 5-10 new updates a day, while the main forum is 5-10 times as much? Of course you will see more variety of posts and some may not be to your taste, which you can easily skip. No need to differentiate this group vs that group.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote