The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2023, 07:26 AM   #1
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
16760 Information

Ok, so I know that the 16760 only came with the red/black "coke" bezel.

I have been on the list for a modern BLRO for a long time and have started to consider other options, including historical models like the 1675, 16700, 16710, and 16750. Yeah, I really want a GMT....

Anyway, I have tentatively been offered a nice looking 16760 that has a red/blue "pepsi" bezel. I know this isn't correct for the watch and I think that the bezel may even be a bit different than the other 167XX models.

Is this really a watch worth considering? Or would it be better to go with one of the other 167XX models that might originally have a pepsi insert?

Ideally, I would just get the call today or tomorrow and pick up the new BLRO, but I am starting to give up on that idea.

I just don't know enough about the 16760 to feel like I could make a well-informed decision.

Thanks for any and all information anyone may have to contribute!

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 07:35 AM   #2
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Personally I would go for a late model 16710 in as complete and original a state as possible.

HOWEVER, if you've really got your heart set on a 126710BLRO, them I'm afraid no 5 digit piece will scratch that itch as they wear VERY differently. IMHO all that will happen if go the 5 digit route is that in a few months/weeks (maybe even days) you'll still want the 6 digit BLRO.

A better option (again IMO) would be to perhaps save a bit more and bite the bullet by going grey to pick up the one you REALLY want.

The sentiment of the old phrase "buy cheap, buy twice", can be amended to "buy second best, buy twice", and it will still be just as true.
Old 13 July 2023, 09:17 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Having the incorrect insert is no big deal as they are interchangeable, but it does raise questions about what else may be going on. Original dial, hands, and so forth.

A lot of folks would love to have one of the "first" GMT II models but it isn't for everybody.
Old 13 July 2023, 09:50 AM   #4
Pandos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
HOWEVER, if you've really got your heart set on a 126710BLRO, them I'm afraid no 5 digit piece will scratch that itch as they wear VERY differently.
Agreed. They share the same name and basic watch design (GMT, 2 colour bezel, cyclops etc) but on the wrist a 5 digit looks very different to a modern GMT2. If you don't have an appreciation for 5 digits, it can come across as looking small and almost dainty in comparison.

However if you like it, buy it! But don't buy it thinking it'll necessarily scratch the same itch.
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 03:43 PM   #5
Nikita70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760
I have a 16760. Wears great. Another thing to think about is being able to change bezel inserts. Six digit models can’t. Get a classic and you’ve got the most versatile Rolex model ever made.
Nikita70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 04:05 PM   #6
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I have multiple GMTs including a BLNR but if I had to choose only one it might well be the 16760. Something really correct about it and the patina is endearing and gets better over time.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 10:39 PM   #7
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the input - thank you!

I do think the watch probably has a service dial (Swiss Made) - no indication of Tritium, so that kind of does raise a few more questions. It's a pretty watch and has a great look, probably polished, the bezel is new. I know the watch was serviced in the not too distant past, but sometime between then and now the bezel was changed.

The interchangeability of bezels and bracelet/strap on maybe a 16710, 16700, or 16750 is REALLY impressive. Maybe I will hold out for one of those or the modern BLRO.

I have a 16610 Submariner and it gets a lot of wrist time, so I really like the five digit references - it has that typical bracelet rattle, but I absolutely love it. I figure that a five digit GMT is going to have the same type of feel. I have tried on the modern Batman, Batgirl, and the Root Beer and really liked how the bracelet fit - I liked the jubilee more than the oyster, but would gladly take either.

My next question would be if the 16760 takes the same insert as the 1675/16750/16700/16710?? Or is it really a different size?

PDG
Old 13 July 2023, 10:42 PM   #8
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

In fact, this is the watch in question. I have verified that it is a 16760. Tell me what else you see.

Thanks again!

PDG
Attached Images
File Type: png 16760.png (204.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 14 July 2023, 12:09 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If it is a 16760 it has been refurbished for sale.

The dial, and hands are replacements as well as an incorrect insert replacement.

It may be a very nice watch and last for many years.
Old 14 July 2023, 12:27 AM   #10
Kongelunden
"TRF" Member

The 16760 will be a bit thicker than the other 5 digit GMTs, and probably also thicker than newest models - if this may be a consideration for you. Difference may not be huge, but could still matter :)
Kongelunden is offline   Reply With Quote