The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 September 2018, 02:39 PM   #1
DGB
"TRF" Member

New price increase for AP

This was discussed recently in different posts but I thought I share my (disappointing) experience with the Paris Boutique.
So after discussion with the folks here in the TRF, I have decided to buy a 15202, and since I was in Paris, went and booked one for December 18 delivery (it was in May). The guy there said to me I had to pay a 30% deposit, which I did. In fact I paid 35%.
The salesman never said anything about potential price increase nor about paying full upfront to fix the price.
So yesterday I received a mail saying the watch is ready but there is a “slight” increase.
So I called them and the “slight” increase is 2000 Euros.
And the guys said, before I say if I want it or not, please send us your bank details to reimburse your deposit.
He said:” the price increase is not negotiable, please give us your bank details to pay back your deposit if you don’t want the watch”.
Then he went on with, the watch is more expensive on the second hand market, and I could sell it with profit etc... as if I was a grey dealer. I felt like they did not care.
I thought I would have a special treat when I buy a luxury watch from a Boutique. Seems like I don’t look worthy for them, after all I am only buying a low level $25k watch, and am a first time buyer.
I wanted to be a memorable experience, so I am a bit disappointed, but maybe I was expecting too much.
Of course this is first world problem but did you guys had this kind of experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 02:48 PM   #2
bund
"TRF" Member

Sounds like good deal to me if you ordered it in May and is getting it now after 3 months wait as a first time buyer lol. I went to Beverly Hills boutique and was told to get that watch out of my head
bund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 04:09 PM   #3
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bund View Post
Sounds like good deal to me if you ordered it in May and is getting it now after 3 months wait as a first time buyer lol. I went to Beverly Hills boutique and was told to get that watch out of my head
Agreed.

It would be bizarre to get a heavily in-demand watch at less than the current retail price (though what is even more bizarre is the boutique seeming to encourage you to flip the watch)

Standard practice seems to be that the deposit helps to secure your allocation, but the price you pay is the price at the time of delivery - even if you pay the full amount up front.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Almost exactly the same experience, with added features

In UK
In an AD back when the 15202 was not a boutique only watch

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=530980

The thing is- difficult as it was, it's now irrelevant.... And so will it be for you, im sure
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 04:44 PM   #5
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
As per my post on the other thread this appears to be the same practice across the board, the price is the MRSP when they receive the watch and not when the deposit is paid, even if they do except payment in full on ordering this doesn’t guarantee price and guess one of the reason some don’t except payment in full.

Now not that I disbelieve your description of events but can’t see why they would offer the refund off the bat like that unless you indicated your displeasure in the increase, it’s not as if they have offered you the pre increase price and can sell to another client for more?! What they make off you is no different to the next buyer who comes through the door! And since the SA made the comment ‘the price is not negotiable’ does appear the SA felt you wanted it at the pre increase price maybe hence the offer of refund.

Maybe it’s the shops practise if a piece has a price increase while under deposit they make the customer aware the price has changed and they can have a full refund if the new price is not acceptable.

Just a few points, like yourself I have been caught in the same situation and it’s annoying but just how it is.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I get the frustration - at least now it’s a question everyone knows to ask in advance. I guess if you’d of known the score before hand it wouldn’t leave a bitter taste.

That said, getting the jumbo so fast and at the new MSRP is worth taking it on the chin for, as the extra 2k€ will soon be forgotten !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:13 PM   #7
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I don’t get it why you guys want to pay upfront deposit for a popular watch that the boutique will have no problem to resell. I never need to pay any deposit to get my AP watches, even the hard to get ones. Perhaps things work differently in Asia.
Old 5 September 2018, 07:08 PM   #8
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Wow 3/4 months is not long at all. I was told 2 years when I enquired 3 months ago!

watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 07:47 PM   #9
GentleMonster
"TRF" Member

Exactly, I guess many here would gladly pay that extra to secure a 15202 though I’m not a fan of this piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
That said, getting the jumbo so fast and at the new MSRP is worth taking it on the chin for, as the extra 2k€ will soon be forgotten !
Hmm it sounds a bit contradicting...I wouldn’t mind paying deposit to secure a popular watch. The rationale is to get the watch ASAP. No?
Perhaps one has to be a regular patron and the dealer wouldn’t require a deposit. Cultivating a strong relationship is more important than asking for a deposit

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I don’t get it why you guys want to pay upfront deposit for a popular watch that the boutique will have no problem to resell. I never need to pay any deposit to get my AP watches, even the hard to get ones. Perhaps things work differently in Asia.
GentleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 08:34 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Nothing wrong here, they wouldn't have known of a price rise in May and all prices are for when the watch is delivered not ordered now as the AD has to pay the increase too to get the watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 08:56 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
You live and you learn. The question now is do you want the watch. I assume that the answer is yes, as you have posted and I would go collect it and pay the current price. I would just mark it down to lesions learned. The money will only be an issue if you make it such. If you do not want the watch it will be sold to another customer immediately. Such is the world of commerce. I look forward to seeing your incoming thread.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:18 PM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Nothing wrong here, they wouldn't have known of a price rise in May and all prices are for when the watch is delivered not ordered now as the AD has to pay the increase too to get the watch.
+1

It happens all the time with watches with long lead times. Price on the delivery day is the price. I just ordered a car (it takes 8 months lead time to order/build). I absolutely did not get the 2018 prices. 2019 prices just came out and its more.

It could be worse, you could have gotten stuck with a 20% increase on a 5712, but probably 25% as there was two increases over 6 months in the UK and most people have been waiting longer than that. It happened to a lot of people and will continue to happen as pre price rise waitlist additions are still not cleared out yet.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:24 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
I thought I would have a special treat when I buy a luxury watch from a Boutique. Seems like I don’t look worthy for them, after all I am only buying a low level $25k watch, and am a first time buyer.
The London "boutique" doesnt discount one penny no matter who you are. The price is the price so it has nothing to do with your status or lack of. Not entirely sure how Paris operates, but on that watch for sure, no discounts and getting a pre price rise price is a discount. Dont feel too bad as its not personal.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 5 September 2018, 09:37 PM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
The London "boutique" doesnt discount one penny no matter who you are. The price is the price so it has nothing to do with your status or lack of. Not entirely sure how Paris operates, but on that watch for sure, no discounts and getting a pre price rise price is a discount. Dont feel too bad as its not personal.
Reading the OP's post, it seems to me that it is more about the way/manner the boutique staff put across to him about the increase rather than the actual increase that bothers him. Or maybe it's a response to what was said by the OP on hearing about the increase. No way for us to know.

But yes, generally, the latest price applied on delivery whether deposit placed or not. Same over here as well.
Old 5 September 2018, 09:40 PM   #15
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

It is currently a seller's market. Some day the worm will turn.
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:42 PM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Reading the OP's post, it seems to me that it is more about the way/manner the boutique staff put across to him about the increase rather than the actual increase that bothers him. Or maybe it's a response to what was said by the OP on hearing about the increase. No way for us to know.

But yes, generally, the latest price applied on delivery whether deposit placed or not. Same over here as well.
it was france

Besides Wempe, every AD in Paris is pretty cold with their reception IMO. Plus the language barrier. It could be as simple as that, just a guess though.
Old 5 September 2018, 09:51 PM   #17
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it was france

Besides Wempe, every AD in Paris is pretty cold with their reception IMO. Plus the language barrier. It could be as simple as that, just a guess though.
I visited VC Boutique in Platz Vendome, Paris ( just walk in, no appointment ) and they couldn't be more welcoming, even though I can't speak French and end up not buying anything. Not sure if the salesperson is actually French though.

But yeah, the AP boutique in Paris was less than welcoming when I visited last year. I left after 5 mins browsing around when the salesman attempt to lecture me about how hard it is to acquire a Jumbo, a 15400, a RG44 etc...
Old 5 September 2018, 09:51 PM   #18
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsedge1 View Post
It is currently a seller's market. Some day the worm will turn.
To a degree yes but the price it the price it not as if they are charging a premium?!

Quote:
it was france

You know I found AP, Rolex and PP very welcoming in Paris but yes the language barrier can cause issues!

Had a falling out with the very rude security in a Chanel boutique there once!

A sale is a sale and given OP had a deposit down and just the balance to pay I don’t see the point of the SA pushing for a refund unless like Ben said it was in reponse to something that was said!
Old 5 September 2018, 11:27 PM   #19
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
This happened to me with my platinum offshore....5k price increase the month before delivery and a deposit paid at the old price. It’s really annoying but part of the game.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:38 PM   #20
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Concur with others on the pricing but agree that receiving a little more TLC from the Boutique would be nice. This is one of APs flagship pieces where the demand is high and supply low however one of the stated "benefits" of buying from the Boutique is the excellent AP experience you're supposed to receive.

The retail price is what it is and it's known that the Boutiques don't discount. Long gone are the days when you could get a 15202 at a double digit discount from an AD (as I did in 2013). Bottom line though is that the Jumbo is a great piece. The price paid will quickly dissipate once you have it on your wrist.

Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 12:45 AM   #21
ragsk
Banned

The London boutique staff are thoroughly professional and great hosts. Nothing is too much trouble.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 01:18 AM   #22
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
The London boutique staff are thoroughly professional and great hosts. Nothing is too much trouble.
Yep Daniel and the team there are all great
Old 6 September 2018, 01:30 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post

Had a falling out with the very rude security in a Chanel boutique there once!
Last year I was at a Ferragamo store and the security guard insisted on going through my wife's tiny lv purse because she was setting off the alarm.

I asked him why would we come in here and buy a shearling jacket for thousands only to try and sneak something the size of deck of cards out in her purse.

I then told him I was not even sure he was allowed to search the bag legally but let him anyways. Of course I found the tag on her j crew top that she was wearing a few mins later and we cut it off in store.
Old 6 September 2018, 02:55 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

New price increase for AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Last year I was at a Ferragamo store and the security guard insisted on going through my wife's tiny lv purse because she was setting off the alarm.

I asked him why would we come in here and buy a shearling jacket for thousands only to try and sneak something the size of deck of cards out in her purse.

I then told him I was not even sure he was allowed to search the bag legally but let him anyways. Of course I found the tag on her j crew top that she was wearing a few mins later and we cut it off in store.

I had a falling out with my AD’s security guard. I was there at 10am and he tried to remove me from the front of the store. Probably didn’t help that I said “the time on the watch I bought here says exactly 10:00”

Staff saw it through the window opened “early” and gave the security guard a stern talking to

Old 6 September 2018, 04:06 AM   #25
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

If it was in the UK then pretty certain he wouldn’t have a legal right to search you or your bags without your consent. Only the police can do that.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 6 September 2018, 04:16 AM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it was in the UK then pretty certain he wouldn’t have a legal right to search you or your bags without your consent. Only the police can do that.
i saw a guy shoplift at TK Maxx once as i happened to be walking by with my son when it happened. Alarms were going off and no one did anything. His getaway was on a bicycle (seriously). His clothes he stole got caught in the chain and he was unable to pedal as he rendered his own getaway vehicle useless. Everyone on the street was laughing at this guy. He had to pick up his bicycle and walk away with that too. Security didn't care yet the store pays them to be there. They actually wont do anything besides use words i guess.
Old 6 September 2018, 04:26 AM   #27
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Yes but just easier to give consent rather than wait for police to arrive. More hassle.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:11 AM   #28
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Not to sidetrack, but here's to bringing the cane back
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:22 AM   #29
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
This happened to me with my platinum offshore....5k price increase the month before delivery and a deposit paid at the old price. It’s really annoying but part of the game.

I had a different experience. I paid for a Patek in full, the watch was in stock but I didn't have the time to go and collect it. Few weeks later Patek reduced the price by 10% and the AD refunded me 10% when I went to collect the watch.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:34 AM   #30
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Yes but just easier to give consent rather than wait for police to arrive. More hassle.

Yes for sure in this case! Saves hassle for all involved. As well as not wasting police time which could be spent on something more worthwhile than rummaging in a handbag.

That said I am a fan of civil liberties, but sometimes it is best to turn the other cheek.

― Winston S. Churchill