The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 January 2021, 02:24 AM   #1
PleaseStandBack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Overpaying for IWCs to get a GMT??

So I like to collect chronographs and there’s an AD not too far from me that has a nice selection of IWCs. Was thinking I could ask them if I buy a Portugieser chrono and a little prince (for a total of $3k higher than I’d have spent for them online), would that bump my chances of getting a SS GMT. Does this sound reasonable? Buying much more of their list priced merch would start to feel like a zero sum game (ie I can pay $6000 over msrp and get a Batman gray).
PleaseStandBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:27 AM   #2
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Never hurts to ask. Perhaps be more overt about it and rather than ask say that you would buy these two for the SS GMT at MSRP.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:31 AM   #3
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I would not do that.

If you don't 100% love those IWC references, you will have a difficult time moving on from them.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:35 AM   #4
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
If you want the IWC’s then yes, do it. If not, obviously don’t.

It’s always tempting to go grey when it’s cheaper, but there are a lot on here that complain they can’t get the high demand watches from their AD, and about the scandalous prices charged by grey dealers, only to run off to a grey for a watch when it’s cheaper!

Broadly speaking, you reap what you sow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:43 AM   #5
PleaseStandBack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
If you want the IWC’s then yes, do it. If not, obviously don’t.

It’s always tempting to go grey when it’s cheaper, but there are a lot on here that complain they can’t get the high demand watches from their AD, and about the scandalous prices charged by grey dealers, only to run off to a grey for a watch when it’s cheaper!

Broadly speaking, you reap what you sow.

Thanks, yes definitely want those two IWCs so wouldn’t regret the purchase. Honestly I’d be a little more concerned that it wouldn’t open the door to the GMT so I’ll be explicit that I’d only want them if it would get me a GMT.
Old 16 January 2021, 02:53 AM   #6
rmags
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15210 & 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Never hurts to ask. Perhaps be more overt about it and rather than ask say that you would buy these two for the SS GMT at MSRP.
I agree...maybe they go in the vault and offer you the GMT at the same time! Good luck.
rmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:55 AM   #7
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

I’d def take the chance and nicely tell the AD what you are seeking. I’d imagine the AD would be receptive. It’ll all come down to how hot those IWC models are at that particular store. If they’ve been there for a bit you might have a chance.

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:56 AM   #8
dimag333
"TRF" Member

isn't something I would be interested in doing

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:00 AM   #9
1lastone
"TRF" Member

Watch: El primero
You’d be doing that without any assurance that it would actually bump your chances though. Buy the watches you want at the best possible price you can in isolation is my advice. Then either make compromises to your budget and/or wish list
1lastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:09 AM   #10
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I would try it - but it would have to be an 'all or none' deal.

I wouldn't buy the IWC's on a promise to get the GMT, I would let the AD know that I'd only buy all three at the same time - no GMT, no IWC's.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:12 AM   #11
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post

I wouldn't buy the IWC's on a promise to get the GMT, I would let the AD know that I'd only buy all three at the same time - no GMT, no IWC's.

Yep - like that

Which LPP are you after ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:13 AM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post

Agree with this approach. Put their feet to the fire
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:14 AM   #13
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I would not do that.

If you don't 100% love those IWC references, you will have a difficult time moving on from them.
Exactly. Makes no sense at all.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:15 AM   #14
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
More money than sense and only encourages the nonsense.
It's only a watch.
IMHO
Tikandtokalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:18 AM   #15
PleaseStandBack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Yep - like that

Which LPP are you after ?
Sounds like a plan — I like the blue dial steel bracelet model — 377717
Old 16 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #16
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseStandBack View Post
Thanks, yes definitely want those two IWCs so wouldn’t regret the purchase. Honestly I’d be a little more concerned that it wouldn’t open the door to the GMT so I’ll be explicit that I’d only want them if it would get me a GMT.

Makes sense and it’s not an unreasonable condition. The AD may well say they have an existing list and it would be improper of them to allow you to jump a queue, and as such they will likely state a two year (estimated) wait. And not sure that would be unreasonable of them.

If you do get given a long wait time, bear in mind it could be even longer. Equally, i was given a two year wait time on a Nautilus and it arrived in less than half of that, as people do drop off lists.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:30 AM   #17
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Don't dance to that music.
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:33 AM   #18
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Is this a chain or independent AD?

If it's a chain, I highly doubt the (2) IWC @ retail will even remotely accomplish what you would like it to in terms of acquiring the GMT. Way too many heavy spenders ahead of you.

If it's a small independent, then you might have a shot.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:51 AM   #19
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I would not do that.

+1.

They will say. Buying will help your chances but no guarantee.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:04 AM   #20
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I wouldn’t buy watches that I didn’t want in hopes of getting what I actually want.

However, seeing as you actually want the 2 IWCs, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt except that you would be paying retail for them. I would at least try to ask for a discount.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:08 AM   #21
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
So I like to collect chronographs and there’s an AD not too far from me that has a nice selection of IWCs. Was thinking I could ask them if I buy a Portugieser chrono and a little prince (for a total of $3k higher than I’d have spent for them online), would that bump my chances of getting a SS GMT. Does this sound reasonable? Buying much more of their list priced merch would start to feel like a zero sum game (ie I can pay $6000 over msrp and get a Batman gray).
To me, definitely not.
I think it’s quite naïve to believe that they will give you a higher priority on a SS model.

Old 16 January 2021, 04:09 AM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
Don't dance to that music.
X2. Why go down this road of games and compromising integrity for a watch?
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:12 AM   #23
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Are you saying that you would pay RRP at the AD? I'm not sure that, that would take you up any waiting list.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:25 AM   #24
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds like a plan — I like the blue dial steel bracelet model — 377717

It’s a great line

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:30 AM   #25
spacedinvader
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup, worked for me. I went into a big AD in west London (that i’d never visited before) and bought my wife a SS JLC reverso and myself an Omega moonwatch. Obviously paid full price for those rather than 15%ish off that I’d researched online but I walked out them and a ceramic Pepsi (and big smile!).
spacedinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:35 AM   #26
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Probably won’t work as Portugieser chrono and a little prince aren’t hard to sell.....maybe if the watches were difficult sellers you’d have more chance.....certainly no harm in asking but i wouldn’t take the other twp on a vague promise....collect all together or nothing...good luck
Old 16 January 2021, 05:29 AM   #27
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Unless you're going to keep the IWC for a long time, I wouldn't. They take a bath on resale. Nothing wrong with the watches as they are quite nice.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:56 PM   #28
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Propose a bundle and don't deviate from it. See what he says. I'm pretty sure it will be "no". Don't bank on promises. I've been waiting on a promise for 3+ years with nothing manifesting and my purchase history has been gold Pateks, not steel IWCs. No more promises for me.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:49 PM   #29
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
In my op you are not "Over Paying " if you want those pieces in ur collection. You are in fact helping the AD keep their doors open. If we all go get our other watches at grey to get a g or two off then also ask our AD to give us a difficult to obtain piece... this does not really work does it. You want the best of all worlds.
Personaly, I get good discounts on other brands that I buy from my AD, that is a meet in the middle price and they help me get those sought after pieces that I also want. I never buy what I do not want and I have never bundled. I have my ongoing "want" list and I find watches I must have (that are other brand) sprinkled in throughout the year at good discount. Win win.
If you want grey savings on your other pieces, then yes you should overpay when buying Rolex SS from Grey... as Grey is eating those harder to move pieces in order to get the High Demand pieces where they can recover from selling the other stuff at massive discount...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:26 PM   #30
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
It’s a great line

That was my first IWC.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk