The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2021, 08:13 PM   #91
louie
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Beast
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Hoping to make a quick buck before people find out that the AP brand has been ruined last weekend
Old 17 April 2021, 08:21 PM   #92
ragsk
Banned

Insanity.

My 15202IP is now priced at around $200,000.......

Happy to offer my AP forum brothers a discount!

Im joking but this asset bubble is going to end with a big bang in the not too distant future.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 08:55 PM   #93
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Not according to the info I'm getting. But perhaps I'm relying on old (though quite reliable) information -- it's 22 hours old right now.
All of the allocations is the US are gone and they are trying to secure more from other markets to satisfy the demand.

It was a hit in the US for sure.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 11:39 PM   #94
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Crazy question? Why doesn't AP just double rrp's?
xsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 12:00 AM   #95
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
It’s amazing. In 2010 I traded a NOS 16600 SD for a 15202 plus a few K. The 15202 was a NOS white dial. I sold it a few years later for like 12k.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 12:39 AM   #96
msm2
"TRF" Member

The jumbo to me is like the GT3 RS. It was always hard to get even years before the saintliness hype but like the GT3 RS you had a shot. Today because of social media things are just so hyped it makes it seem impossible. Odds of it being your first purchase is just harder today without supporting the brand in other aspects.

The issue is the same with almost all luxury items and sneakers. Anything "in demand" is not on the retail shelf / dealer lot and if it was...I bet a ton of people wouldn't want it.
msm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 01:17 AM   #97
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
It’s amazing. In 2010 I traded a NOS 16600 SD for a 15202 plus a few K. The 15202 was a NOS white dial. I sold it a few years later for like 12k.
Wonder how the people that sold Bitcoin back at a stellar 1,000 feel.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 02:20 AM   #98
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Wonder how the people that sold Bitcoin back at a stellar 1,000 feel.
Probably not as bad as Laszlo Hanyecz who was the first person to use BTC for a real transaction. 10,000 BTC for 2 pizzas. The most expensive pizzas ever purchased in hindsight.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 05:05 PM   #99
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
I don't recall if one of the major luxury brands has tried that. Standard playbook are moderate (but faster than inflation) price hikes - Hermes has perfected this approach to cooking the frog slowly. Or Rolex, who keep price hikes modest, but uses this to shift demand to previously unloved or higher margin pieces.

An even slightly misjudged radical price hike risks inverting the MSRP/grey price ratio, which would instantly kill a major driver for demand, i.e., expecting not to take an instant loss with the purchase.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 05:30 PM   #100
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I don't recall if one of the major luxury brands has tried that. Standard playbook are moderate (but faster than inflation) price hikes - Hermes has perfected this approach to cooking the frog slowly. Or Rolex, who keep price hikes modest, but uses this to shift demand to previously unloved or higher margin pieces.

An even slightly misjudged radical price hike risks inverting the MSRP/grey price ratio, which would instantly kill a major driver for demand, i.e., expecting not to take an instant loss with the purchase.
Agreed.

In fact, if AP wanted to leave less money on the table, they could simply double production. This would drive grey market prices down a bit, but still not down to RRP, and it would have a negligible impact on exclusivity since they're already incredibly scarce (and hoarded by greys thanks to flippers due to the 3x RRP pricing on the grey market -- drive that down, and flippers will find it less attractive).
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 08:25 PM   #101
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Agreed.

In fact, if AP wanted to leave less money on the table, they could simply double production. This would drive grey market prices down a bit, but still not down to RRP, and it would have a negligible impact on exclusivity since they're already incredibly scarce (and hoarded by greys thanks to flippers due to the 3x RRP pricing on the grey market -- drive that down, and flippers will find it less attractive).
Or, AP could come out with a non limited edition platinum 15202 with a green dial and price it at $105,000. Buyers grovel to get it and are willing to bundle with unpopular models thereby upping their spend. In order to produce it AP cuts back on production of stainless 15202, ending production of stainless 15202 after another year. AP makes more money, owners of the 15202ST see their watch become more valuable, buyers of platinum 15202 are ecstatic to be allocated one and everyone's happy.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote