The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17 February 2021, 12:41 PM   #91
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Great guy, nice series. Lots of potential...love the Netflix idea.

Reality videos might be too granular, raw and technical for a broader audience. It’s a tough balance, those of us who know references, the market, nicknames can easily keep-up. Others, probably need training wheels for references like 57th street, Hulk, Etc.

I personally would love a Netflix series, less Pawn Stars, and more Chef’s Table. Anthony, if you need anyone to screen, let me know
Old 17 February 2021, 01:38 PM   #92
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Great share. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This might be a worthwhile series to those who are interested in how grey market watch dealers operate.

It’s pretty well produced. Accurate to what I have seen my self when dealing with greys, especially how they use networking and connections to obtain watches for the absolutely ravenous customer base....especially for Rolex..etc.

https://youtu.be/-WqhbpWcAXE

Not much straight horological content here..so it won’t be for everyone, but there are other channels for that.
Old 18 February 2021, 08:14 AM   #93
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I think he needs to separate his businesses. The YouTube channel should be one and watches the other. Having a show on Netflix won't have the broad appeal. If he can grow a YouTube audience and monetize that while driving business to his watch business he will be able to be in control and not be giving away a huge cut while having Netflix ruin the concept.
Old 18 February 2021, 12:54 PM   #94
warren G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
Not to mention they are flying private jet and eating fancy dinners…
haha yeah fancy dinners. But that private jet part, that was provided by a customer to deliver his watch.
Old 18 February 2021, 06:32 PM   #95
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
They mentioned TRF on this week's show, what username are they selling under?
Old 18 February 2021, 07:59 PM   #96
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
It's good to see them looking to make some improvements. I inquired on their website a few days back, they never even got back to me.
Same here.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2021, 08:56 PM   #97
Johnb1
"TRF" Member

Seems like a honest guy and sells them at fair prices (given where the market is).

Drives an R8, I thought they had bluetooth?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2021, 04:58 AM   #98
nick800
"TRF" Member

Guy seems nice. I like the show.

I've reached out several times making product inquiries or offering to sell interesting pieces. No response.
Old 19 February 2021, 04:37 PM   #99
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post

I've reached out several times making product inquiries or offering to sell interesting pieces. No response.
Without systems in place they will miss out on opportunities and make mistakes that will cost them $$$.

It's hard to manage that much without systems.
Old 20 February 2021, 03:09 AM   #100
Mountains
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Without systems in place they will miss out on opportunities and make mistakes that will cost them $$$.

It's hard to manage that much without systems.
Definitely. They also look as if they could do with an injection of cash to build inventory. These will inhibit their ability to grow ... but, I’m sure they know that already ... and probably have plans to solve.
Old 20 February 2021, 06:03 AM   #101
PowerChucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMPc
I just started watching the first video. Thank you for sharing this! its very interesting to me to see a bit behind the curtain from the Grey side. I just read a massive thread about this and Rolex, and In my years of collecting, I havent paid much thought to how the "system" works , I feel much more informed right now. Thanks again for this!
Old 22 February 2021, 04:10 AM   #102
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Anthony sure has a lot of patience with people who are tire kickers or need tons of advice...I give him credit for that.

Try that stuff with some other grey or on 47th street and you will get blown off rudely and faster than you could imagine.
Old 23 February 2021, 01:39 PM   #103
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPcD...pieceGentleman

He is going to do a collab with Roman Sharf - whose channel I really enjoy.
Old 23 February 2021, 04:15 PM   #104
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Just finished it, interesting video. Bit annoying that people who watch his channel take up a fair chunk of his time tyre kicking. I think he's made himself a little too accessible - and now is suffering for it.

Also - is that the dude he just hired trying to recruit his whole Family?
Old 24 February 2021, 03:16 AM   #105
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Just finished it, interesting video. Bit annoying that people who watch his channel take up a fair chunk of his time tyre kicking. I think he's made himself a little too accessible - and now is suffering for it.

Also - is that the dude he just hired trying to recruit his whole Family?
No. New guy wasn't even in this video.
Old 24 February 2021, 03:30 AM   #106
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Quote:
Anthony sure has a lot of patience with people who are tire kickers or need tons of advice...I give him credit for that.

Try that stuff with some other grey or on 47th street and you will get blown off rudely and faster than you could imagine.
It's good to see him trying to prioritize by asking his clients to annotate a BUY/SELL signal but doesn't solve the root issue of capacity. I hope they figure it out as the series does make you root for them to succeed.

With that said they maybe leaving a ton of revenue on the table. I just concluded a buy/sell transaction that may have been completed with them had they simply called me within a couple days to discuss. (They never called). I'd imagine the net revenue to them would've been 2-4k (gross 24-28k) which isn't substantial but a good starting transaction of building a relationship with a new client.
Old 24 February 2021, 08:25 AM   #107
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
No. New guy wasn't even in this video.
I generally listen to it in the background, my bad!
Old 24 February 2021, 08:44 AM   #108
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I just cannot believe the conversations he has with customers, what is it with people wanting to tell their life story to him, it's just chit-chat garbage, get to the point.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Old 24 February 2021, 10:02 AM   #109
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
It's good to see him trying to prioritize by asking his clients to annotate a BUY/SELL signal but doesn't solve the root issue of capacity. I hope they figure it out as the series does make you root for them to succeed.

With that said they maybe leaving a ton of revenue on the table. I just concluded a buy/sell transaction that may have been completed with them had they simply called me within a couple days to discuss. (They never called). I'd imagine the net revenue to them would've been 2-4k (gross 24-28k) which isn't substantial but a good starting transaction of building a relationship with a new client.
This is a nice post, especially since you didn’t hear back from them, which many people would see as an insult and bash them...

But Anthony really seems like a good dude and is amicable...but that volume of business both on the buy and sell side is brutal with only a cell phone and notebook. They will figure it out, but the stress level is real close to burnout..
Old 24 February 2021, 10:06 AM   #110
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
I just cannot believe the conversations he has with customers, what is it with people wanting to tell their life story to him, it's just chit-chat garbage, get to the point.
I wouldn’t dream of calling up a grey with dopey questions or looking for advice and then not buy anything.

That would drive me out of the business in a hurry. Figure it out yourself!

The only way that works is if you are a paid purveyor or curator for individuals who are building collections and need assistance along the way...usually seen in Vintage watches, coins, sports cards..etc. I know the vintage guys won’t even acknowledge anything less than a $20k opportunity or higher for their time.
Old 24 February 2021, 10:23 AM   #111
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I wouldn’t dream of calling up a grey with dopey questions or looking for advice and then not buy anything.

That would drive me out of the business in a hurry. Figure it out yourself!

The only way that works is if you are a paid purveyor or curator for individuals who are building collections and need assistance along the way...usually seen in Vintage watches, coins, sports cards..etc. I know the vintage guys won’t even acknowledge anything less than a $20k opportunity or higher for their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
100 percent, look at Roman Sharfs response to his email - he had his sales team reach out and have that conversation. I think Anthony loves watches, he loves dealing with people and sharing that passion - but its just too much.

Similar to Roman, he needs to start a 'your watches and you' sort of segment where people can tell those life stories and have those conversations, and then extricate himself from talking to EVERYONE, reserve that for paying customers / returning customers.
Old 24 February 2021, 12:06 PM   #112
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100 percent, look at Roman Sharfs response to his email - he had his sales team reach out and have that conversation. I think Anthony loves watches, he loves dealing with people and sharing that passion - but its just too much.

Similar to Roman, he needs to start a 'your watches and you' sort of segment where people can tell those life stories and have those conversations, and then extricate himself from talking to EVERYONE, reserve that for paying customers / returning customers.
That’s right...and the sooner he does so, the better...otherwise he will be accused of being a jerk...or that he changed when he got successful....etc.
Old 24 February 2021, 03:51 PM   #113
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post

He can't talk with all being one person only, he is missing some (probably a lot) of deals.
Same thing happened with cash limit he reached, bassically he is at the peak of his current operation and needs more cash and persons.

I like his channel and he takes step by step everything building a solid foundation first and then other steps.

You can't please everyone fact of life
Old 24 February 2021, 05:27 PM   #114
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
He can't talk with all being one person only, he is missing some (probably a lot) of deals.
Same thing happened with cash limit he reached, bassically he is at the peak of his current operation and needs more cash and persons.

I like his channel and he takes step by step everything building a solid foundation first and then other steps.

You can't please everyone fact of life
Marco and Anthony responded to me with questions etc. sometimes I needed to follow up but can’t blame them.
Old 24 February 2021, 07:06 PM   #115
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am going against the generally positive posts on this thread with my impression. First, this guy (these guys) are obviously very successful, hard working, and dedicated business men. I congratulate them and if their customers are happy, then good for both parties involved in a transaction. Some of you have stated they have treated you well with your questions and again, I salute any business that takes good care of it’s customers.

BUT.... watching this day to day running of the business... the transactions... has really left a bad taste in my mouth of the whole operation. It is hard to describe, but it just seems.... like a used-car lot. They are in a business to make money (of course) and they are buying and selling fine timepieces to make a profit (again, of course) but...it... just seems to ... diminish.... the value and reverence for a fine timepiece watching these guys at their jobs. It is not an anti-Gray crusade. I have visited Gray Brick and Mortar establishments and felt their stores and practices were doing the timepieces... justice(?). One I highly recommend is Patrick’s (OCRolexguy) in Orange County California. There is a different feeling I got from his business and establishment then I did from watching these guys.

Before I get get flamed on here, I mean do disrespect to these business individuals, or any of their customers, and if they are taking good care of their customers with fair business transactions then I certainly can have nothing bad to say. But, watching these videos, I just got the feeling we were watching a used-car lot hustle. Sorry, but that’s the way I felt. If you feel different, more power to you and best of luck in your dealings with them
Old 24 February 2021, 07:12 PM   #116
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am going against the generally positive posts on this thread with my impression. First, this guy (these guys) are obviously very successful, hard working, and dedicated business men. I congratulate them and if their customers are happy, then good for both parties involved in a transaction. Some of you have stated they have treated you well with your questions and again, I salute any business that takes good care of it’s customers.

BUT.... watching this day to day running of the business... the transactions... has really left a bad taste in my mouth of the whole operation. It is hard to describe, but it just seems.... like a used-car lot. They are in a business to make money (of course) and they are buying and selling fine timepieces to make a profit (again, of course) but...it... just seems to ... diminish.... the value and reverence for a fine timepiece watching these guys at their jobs. It is not an anti-Gray crusade. I have visited Gray Brick and Mortar establishments and felt their stores and practices were doing the timepieces... justice(?). One I highly recommend is Patrick’s (OCRolexguy) in Orange County California. There is a different feeling I got from his business and establishment then I did from watching these guys.

Before I get get flamed on here, I mean do disrespect to these business individuals, or any of their customers, and if they are taking good care of their customers with fair business transactions then I certainly can have nothing bad to say. But, watching these videos, I just got the feeling we were watching a used-car lot hustle. Sorry, but that’s the way I felt. If you feel different, more power to you and best of luck in your dealings with them
I think this is watch selling to the instagram generation, which is a bit different to what we're used to sure.
Old 24 February 2021, 07:28 PM   #117
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
I think this is watch selling to the instagram generation, which is a bit different to what we're used to sure.
You could be right, maybe that’s what it is
Old 24 February 2021, 08:38 PM   #118
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You could be right, maybe that’s what it is
I think so. Could there be a little acting or posing going on as well?

And this stuff is made for TV production Other than their awesome content, the production into these videos is out of this world!
Old 25 February 2021, 05:49 AM   #119
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I understand what you’re stating, but IMHO they actually are pretty reverent of the watches compared to alotta dealers.

Watch some of Roman Scharffs videos when he goes to a trade show.

Dealers there are absolutely no nonsense whatsoever.

Watch
Condition
Price
Buy or not?
Pay or Bye

Just commodities and that transfers over to their dealings with the public. Absolutely no time for “nonsense”. You need to know what your looking at.
Old 25 February 2021, 06:11 AM   #120
nsguy
"TRF" Member

I've been enjoying this series since they started putting it out. With the general boredom that the COVID lockdowns bring, this is a nice way to distract myself for an hour or so. It's also fun to see how they manage to pull off their deals because of the various cash flow problems already mentioned in this thread.

That said, I'd personally refrain from doing business with them, as I've seen behind the curtain already. From the constant wire transfer issues, accounts getting shut down, forgetting what watches are available, haphazard polishing of watches, and cash flow issues, I'd stick to more reputable and experienced dealers. Contrary to what another member said earlier in this thread, I find Marco to be a lot more trustworthy and knowledgable than Anthony. Marco seems to be an actual watch enthusiast while Anthony seems to mostly care about showing off and is more of a marketeer. That's totally reasonable as marketing is important at this stage of the business. I just personally don't care to see several gold rolexes on one person's arm being shown off as if it's some impressive accomplishment.

I also reached out via IG and text about a particular watch and got two wildly different prices. When I watched the episode for that week afterwards, I saw another price they were asking which was also wildly off. I'm talking about a difference of ~20%+ depending on the response.

One thing that does bother me is the general lack of regard around wearing masks. They don't seem to wear masks indoors (unless asked to, such as when they go to banks), even when clients are traveling in and visiting. Given the outbreaks in Dallas and the surrounding areas, it would be nice if they showed their care about the health of those around them. And when they do wear masks, they don't generally cover their noses, which defaults much of the purpose of wearing masks to begin with.
Closed Thread