The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 January 2021, 05:22 AM   #1
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
shipping a watch: Which Carrier?

Hi all, I figured this has already been beat to death in threads from previous years, but I figured id start a fresh thread. I'm preparing to send an Ebel 1911(El Primero movement) out to be serviced at Ebel's NJ service center.

USPS in my area sucks, so I've pretty much ruled out using them. So its down to Fedex or UPS. I have used UPS, via the UPS store in my area several times(mostly for non watch items) with no issues. With that said, I have yet to use Fedex. What are your thoughts?
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 05:34 AM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I think it depends on value. UPS and FedEx have insurance limits, especially for watches and jewelry. I just sent a Rolex certified by usps because it can be insured for the full value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:18 PM   #3
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I've never heard of a watch getting lost or stolen via USPS while I've heard of a number of watches getting lost or stolen via UPS and FedEx. I only ship important things via USPS even if they are slower.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 01:19 PM   #4
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

A (former) UPS supervisor near me stole two watches, packed in two separate boxes, worth over $80K. UPS "security" never identified or caught him. I learned a lot during the course of their "investigation," such as why they couldn't figure out which employee scanned the packages just before they were stolen (answer: because they were using old, shared passwords to log into the computers at the UPS depot, and the login on the night of the theft was done using the credentials of an employee who was on leave). I found out who he was many years later. After that whole fiasco, I decided to never use UPS again for anything valuable. I stick with USPS Registered Mail (though I have less confidence in the postal service in the past year) or FedEx.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 01:45 PM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
A (former) UPS supervisor near me stole two watches, packed in two separate boxes, worth over $80K. UPS "security" never identified or caught him. I learned a lot during the course of their "investigation," such as why they couldn't figure out which employee scanned the packages just before they were stolen (answer: because they were using old, shared passwords to log into the computers at the UPS depot, and the login on the night of the theft was done using the credentials of an employee who was on leave). I found out who he was many years later. After that whole fiasco, I decided to never use UPS again for anything valuable. I stick with USPS Registered Mail (though I have less confidence in the postal service in the past year) or FedEx.
Indeed, UPS is the worst and I've heard of a number of employees stealing packages in total or opening them and taking out the contents and then delivering an empty box. FedEx is more reliable but I'd still go for USPS. If it's a valuable item, USPS Registered mail is the way to go, as there is special packaging and sealing requirements and they will insure the item up to $50k. There is also a very clear record of everyone who handles the package. It's slow and expensive but it will get there.
Old 30 January 2021, 02:04 PM   #6
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I've never heard of a watch getting lost or stolen via USPS while I've heard of a number of watches getting lost or stolen via UPS and FedEx. I only ship important things via USPS even if they are slower.
These are my sentiments as well.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 03:51 PM   #7
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I would never ever trust the insurance of USPS (or, obviously UPS / FedEx, for that matter).

ParcelPro or Jewelers Mutual Shipping Insurance
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 08:47 PM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

As used by auction houses.

https://www.malca-amit.com/
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 02:27 AM   #9
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

shipping a watch: Which Carrier?

Don't ask the trusted sellers ship via FedEx? If they do, why would FedEx be unsafe as they are shipping and receiving a ton of watches each day?
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 02:30 AM   #10
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. Seems like im leaning more towards Fedex at this point. I had also heard some horror stories about UPS theft, not by me, but just in general. Its not a particularly valuable piece at roughly $1,600.00, but on the harder to find side, as most of those Ebel watches w the Zenith movement are all gold or two tone, versus this one in steel w the black dial.
Old 31 January 2021, 02:02 PM   #11
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I would never ever trust the insurance of USPS (or, obviously UPS / FedEx, for that matter).

ParcelPro or Jewelers Mutual Shipping Insurance
I agree but my point is that USPS is more secure than FedEx and especially UPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Don't ask the trusted sellers ship via FedEx? If they do, why would FedEx be unsafe as they are shipping and receiving a ton of watches each day?
Just about every watch I've received is via FedEx and I've never had any issues other than them leaving the package without a signature when a signature was required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
Thanks all. Seems like im leaning more towards Fedex at this point. I had also heard some horror stories about UPS theft, not by me, but just in general. Its not a particularly valuable piece at roughly $1,600.00, but on the harder to find side, as most of those Ebel watches w the Zenith movement are all gold or two tone, versus this one in steel w the black dial.
I think you're probably safe with FedEx but I would definitely avoid UPS.
Old 2 February 2021, 09:52 AM   #12
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
don't have a whole lot of experience shipping watches but used to ship perishables overnight with UPS a LOT, and had a very high fail rate. damaged boxes/ late deliveries.
it seems most of my purchases come via FEDEX but I am a fan of USPS
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 10:47 AM   #13
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Definitely going with Fedex after seeing these posts. What's better, Overnight, or 2 day?
Old 2 February 2021, 11:06 AM   #14
Pronto0322
"TRF" Member

FedEx for sure

Pronto0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2021, 02:45 AM   #15
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronto0322 View Post
FedEx for sure

Definitely seems like the best choice at this point.
Old 16 April 2021, 11:07 AM   #16
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Alright guys, a little update here. Have been xrazy busy and wasnt able to send the watch. Finally, now in April im looking to send it to MGI in NJ for service. After checking out the Fedex by me, went by there to pick up a box, I had pretty rough customer service, and have read some terrible reviews about the particular location. Regardless should I just go with Fedex overnight?
Old 17 April 2021, 01:28 PM   #17
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
Alright guys, a little update here. Have been xrazy busy and wasnt able to send the watch. Finally, now in April im looking to send it to MGI in NJ for service. After checking out the Fedex by me, went by there to pick up a box, I had pretty rough customer service, and have read some terrible reviews about the particular location. Regardless should I just go with Fedex overnight?
Because you're not in a rush, I'd still go USPS for the reasons I stated above but if not, FedEx overnight would be my next choice.
Old 18 April 2021, 01:16 AM   #18
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Because you're not in a rush, I'd still go USPS for the reasons I stated above but if not, FedEx overnight would be my next choice.
Might be a silly question, but will they print labels for you at the fedex ship center?
Old 8 June 2021, 02:33 AM   #19
RudyB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, IWC, AP
What about insurance guys? FedEx doesn’t offer insurance for individuals and UPS is expensive, which is why I always use USPS registered mail
RudyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 02:41 AM   #20
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Not for this case, but high value watches can be sent via Ferrari Express (not the car, obv!). They are Very Reliable and you'll pay a few hundred for shipping overseas, but it'll get there safely.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 03:23 AM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Regular USPS mail does, indeed, suck. However I think there has to be a reason that RSC insists that all watches inbound for service be shipped via Registered Mail. From what I understand, it is the most secure way to ship via parcel carrier short of using an armored car service.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 04:03 AM   #22
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Not for this case, but high value watches can be sent via Ferrari Express (not the car, obv!). They are Very Reliable and you'll pay a few hundred for shipping overseas, but it'll get there safely.
First and only time an armed guard rang my doorbell was a Ferrari Express delivery. So I guess it would be a safe choice.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 01:10 AM   #23
Gibraltar
"TRF" Member

Do Ferrari or Malca Amit accept shipments from individuals? I was under the impression they do not.
Gibraltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 10:47 AM   #24
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I got a watch via Ferrari
It was hysterical
Armored car ! I needed tools to open the package!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 10:54 AM   #25
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibraltar View Post
Do Ferrari or Malca Amit accept shipments from individuals? I was under the impression they do not.
To my knowledge, it has to be initiated by the other side since they're the ones with the relationship with Malca or Ferrari.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 02:39 PM   #26
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
FedEx
Old 9 June 2021, 06:03 PM   #27
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
FedEx
Very bad idea with their insurance limitations.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMDw4bqL...dium=copy_link
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 06:57 PM   #28
Ducky Magoo
"TRF" Member

Malca amit
Ducky Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote