The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 February 2021, 05:48 AM   #1
shkure
Banned

Czapek Antarctique Review

I had my Czapek Antarctique for over a months now. Here are my thoughts:

Case: 40.5 mm stainless steel with integrated lugs. Its deceptively simple at first glance yet stunningly complicated if you look deeper. It measures 10.5mm thick including the domed crystal and slides easily underneath even the tightest cuffs. The case is symmetrically grooved on both sides, with crown guards "raising" from the right side, akin to an Antarctique icerberg. The crown is substantial but not overwhelming, and it has a reassuring "tough" wind. There is a sense of brutalism about the whole ensemble, yet its rather simple and sophisticated.

Dial: Hand varnished dial resembling the Orion Nebula. I love space, and this struck me immediately. Its really breathtaking. It feels like everytime i look at it, i discover something new. There are 11 of these dials in existence, and every single one is unique. Where mine differs, is that it includes then " Terre Adelie" indices. hence, the 1/1 "Cosmic flame" model designation. I got to name it myself :)

Bracelet: in short, its stunning. it looks as much of a jewellery piece as the AP RO. One might argue, its even flashier. This is in part due to large brushed links which reflect light beautifully and the polished "C" sublinks giving it even more reflection. The clasp is fully hidden under the bracelet, and it gives it a seamless appearance. Its a double deployant and it can be closed from either side first (unlike the RO). It has a quick release system which can be triggered with a special tool that comes in the box, or just by your fingernail. The box also includes a free rubber strap together with its own deployant buckle.

Movement: As beautiful as the the rest of the watch is, the movement is the pièce de résistance. In house caliber SXH5 with 60 hrs of power reserve, beating at 4Hz. It includes a 950 platinum rotor sitting on ceramic ball bearings. It has very high torque, as it has been designed with complications in mind. The bridges are fully skeletonised, akin to old Czapek pocket watches. However, they are angular with black polish, giving it a very modern and robust appearance. The sophisticated brutalism mentioned above, is very much present in here as well. This is absolutely the best looking movement in this price range and is only comparable with the ALS high end movements in my opinion.

What i would improve:
1. The rotor is on the noisier side. This is likely due to the ceramic ball bearings. You cannot hear it when out and about, but you will hear it in a quiet room. Its slightly noisier that the Rolex 32xx movements, which also includes ceramic ball bearings.
2. The bracelet does not have a quick extension setting. My wrist swells a lot so it can get tight in a hot environment. The company has confirmed that they are working on a quick extension clasp. All the current Antarctique owners will be able to get one at cost and will come standard in future models once its available. The bracelet also includes pins instead of screws. I dont mind this at all since a pin pusher tool is included in the box. However, i can see how this might be perceived as subpar for this category of timepieces. Tell that to the Nautilus...
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 05:50 AM   #2
shkure
Banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 February 2021, 05:50 AM   #3
shkure
Banned

Old 1 February 2021, 05:51 AM   #4
shkure
Banned

Old 1 February 2021, 05:51 AM   #5
shkure
Banned

Old 1 February 2021, 05:51 AM   #6
shkure
Banned

Old 1 February 2021, 05:52 AM   #7
shkure
Banned

Old 1 February 2021, 05:58 AM   #8
shkure
Banned

Old 1 February 2021, 06:17 AM   #9
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
How easy is it to switch from bracelet to strap? Does it come with a quick change or you need the strap changing tool?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 06:20 AM   #10
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
How easy is it to switch from bracelet to strap? Does it come with a quick change or you need the strap changing tool?

Its very easy. You need to rotate the little “dial” 180 degrees. You can do it with a tool or with your fingernail

Old 1 February 2021, 06:36 AM   #11
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Great review and beautiful watch. Must admit I don’t find the rotor overly noisy. Not noticeably more so than my other automatics..
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 06:41 AM   #12
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Great review and beautiful watch. Must admit I don’t find the rotor overly noisy. Not noticeably more so than my other automatics..

Thank you. Must be a fault with my rotor then. It kind of makes me happy because i see that as the biggest drawback with the watch.

Old 1 February 2021, 09:17 AM   #13
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Very nice!

That's the dial I wanted. Sadly I missed out on it, and none of the current in-production dials are exciting to me. :(

Thanks for the write-up! Congrats, and enjoy it in the greatest of health.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 10:18 AM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
I had my Czapek Antarctique for over a months now. Here are my thoughts:

Case: 40.5 mm stainless steel with integrated lugs. Its deceptively simple at first glance yet stunningly complicated if you look deeper. It measures 10.5mm thick including the domed crystal and slides easily underneath even the tightest cuffs. The case is symmetrically grooved on both sides, with crown guards "raising" from the right side, akin to an Antarctique icerberg. The crown is substantial but not overwhelming, and it has a reassuring "tough" wind. There is a sense of brutalism about the whole ensemble, yet its rather simple and sophisticated.

Dial: Hand varnished dial resembling the Orion Nebula. I love space, and this struck me immediately. Its really breathtaking. It feels like everytime i look at it, i discover something new. There are 11 of these dials in existence, and every single one is unique. Where mine differs, is that it includes then " Terre Adelie" indices. hence, the 1/1 "Cosmic flame" model designation. I got to name it myself :)

Bracelet: in short, its stunning. it looks as much of a jewellery piece as the AP RO. One might argue, its even flashier. This is in part due to large brushed links which reflect light beautifully and the polished "C" sublinks giving it even more reflection. The clasp is fully hidden under the bracelet, and it gives it a seamless appearance. Its a double deployant and it can be closed from either side first (unlike the RO). It has a quick release system which can be triggered with a special tool that comes in the box, or just by your fingernail. The box also includes a free rubber strap together with its own deployant buckle.

Movement: As beautiful as the the rest of the watch is, the movement is the pièce de résistance. In house caliber SXH5 with 60 hrs of power reserve, beating at 4Hz. It includes a 950 platinum rotor sitting on ceramic ball bearings. It has very high torque, as it has been designed with complications in mind. The bridges are fully skeletonised, akin to old Czapek pocket watches. However, they are angular with black polish, giving it a very modern and robust appearance. The sophisticated brutalism mentioned above, is very much present in here as well. This is absolutely the best looking movement in this price range and is only comparable with the ALS high end movements in my opinion.

What i would improve:

1. The rotor is on the noisier side. This is likely due to the ceramic ball bearings. You cannot hear it when out and about, but you will hear it in a quiet room. Its slightly noisier that the Rolex 32xx movements, which also includes ceramic ball bearings.

2. The bracelet does not have a quick extension setting. My wrist swells a lot so it can get tight in a hot environment. The company has confirmed that they are working on a quick extension clasp. All the current Antarctique owners will be able to get one at cost and will come standard in future models once its available. The bracelet also includes pins instead of screws. I dont mind this at all since a pin pusher tool is included in the box. However, i can see how this might be perceived as subpar for this category of timepieces. Tell that to the Nautilus...

Great review and pics ! Was wondering what size your wrist is, and if you know what the lug to lug size is ...
Thanks and congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 11:07 AM   #15
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great pics and fantastic review. Enjoy this beauty!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 10:36 PM   #16
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Great review and pics ! Was wondering what size your wrist is, and if you know what the lug to lug size is ...
Thanks and congrats !

Thank you.

My wrist is cca 17.5cm thick. The lug width is 26mm and it tapers down to 18mm at the buckle.
Old 1 February 2021, 11:29 PM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you.

My wrist is cca 17.5cm thick. The lug width is 26mm and it tapers down to 18mm at the buckle.

Thanks ... was hoping for lug To lug the other way.. north to south if you will- I find this measurement most reflective of how a watch will wear (for example I think a subC is 47mm lug-to-lug)

Old 2 February 2021, 12:41 AM   #18
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Thanks ... was hoping for lug To lug the other way.. north to south if you will- I find this measurement most reflective of how a watch will wear (for example I think a subC is 47mm lug-to-lug)

Lug to lug is 44mm at the case and 52mm including the 1st links since they dont go straight down
Old 2 February 2021, 10:07 AM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lug to lug is 44mm at the case and 52mm including the 1st links since they dont go straight down

Thank you !

Old 3 February 2021, 02:12 AM   #20
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Beautiful! Really, in a literal ocean of stainless steel, it takes ALOT for something to stop me and these Antarctiques really do. While this dial is indeed not my personal cuppa o' tea, it sure is mesmerizing and unique. Again, hearty congrats on a stunner!
Old 3 February 2021, 03:44 AM   #21
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Love it!! Thx for the review
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2021, 11:48 AM   #22
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

That’s a nice review and beautiful to look at. Fits you well also.
I thought this model had the reclaimed gold rotor not platinum. I am surprised they use pins in the bracelet. I have this same model due sometime I’m sure and will have to check out how it fits on me. It could be a little big at 52mm lug to lug.

thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2021, 04:44 PM   #23
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
That’s a nice review and beautiful to look at. Fits you well also.
I thought this model had the reclaimed gold rotor not platinum. I am surprised they use pins in the bracelet. I have this same model due sometime I’m sure and will have to check out how it fits on me. It could be a little big at 52mm lug to lug.

Thanks.

According to the Czapek, the prototype had a recycled gold rotor but it was not generating enough power to wind the movement. So they had to replaced it with something heavier which was 950 platinum. Its also recycled.

I asked them about the pins over screws choice as well. They told me it was because most of the customers will do the bracelet sizing themselves and in this case the pins choice is better because it does not require maintenance or oiling, which screws apparently due. The pin pusher included in the box works well, so it did not matter in the end.

Old 3 February 2021, 07:24 PM   #24
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Very nice!

That's the dial I wanted. Sadly I missed out on it, and none of the current in-production dials are exciting to me. :(

Thanks for the write-up! Congrats, and enjoy it in the greatest of health.
thank you Green lantern (Great movie btw).

These specials hand painted dials are usually limited to 10 pieces and they never usually hit the open markets. They are sold to existing customers/insiders etc. I hear there is a 3rd series coming soon aking to the Nebula and Abbyss so there might be another chance ;)
Old 4 February 2021, 03:01 AM   #25
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this info. Cant wait for mine to come

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 February 2021, 04:05 PM   #26
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
On the rubber strap, did you have to cut and size it yourself?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2021, 09:02 PM   #27
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Anybody know where my review went?
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2021, 11:15 PM   #28
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Very sorry mate, but it looks like all posts from the last 6 days were irrevocably lost due to a system issue:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=788909

I personally enjoyed your review and thought it was great. Google still has a cached version, which might be helpful if you would like to repost it: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&client=safari
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 12:24 AM   #29
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Oh this is sad. I enjoyed your thread and hope it can be restored so the discussion can continue. This is got to be disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 February 2021, 02:11 AM   #30
shafran
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch. Btw I think most precious metals are recycled. Most jewelry pm comes from refiners. Much less fresh from mines.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote