The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 March 2021, 06:52 AM   #31
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

from the photo, the metal ring outside the sapphire bezel looks like that of FF Barakuda which has a 40.3 mm diameter.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:14 AM   #32
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
No date 40mm modern FF. Thats what I want at this point. They need to figure out how to make a tight bezel first
I'm confident you'll be a convert to the floppy bezel one of these days.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 09:24 AM   #33
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
Unfortunately, it will probably be powered by the 1151 movement.
i don't know much about blancpain or f piguet movement specifics, what's wrong with the 1151?
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 11:03 AM   #34
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
i don't know much about blancpain or f piguet movement specifics, what's wrong with the 1151?
I guess it depends on how you feel about movement design. The 1151 is an ultra thin movement (3.25 mm?), but used in a 13 mm tool watch. Ultra thin movements are generally not as robust as standard movements; fine for a thin dress watch, less so for a dive watch. It has a silicon hairspring, but is otherwise pretty old school. The balance is index regulated and adjusted by changing the effective length of the hairspring, rather than free sprung and adjusted by the use of weights on the balance wheel. Free sprung balances are more resistant to shocks and are less subject to timing variances due to positions. The 1151 also does not utilize a hacking seconds feature, which means that the watch cannot be set to the second. This is no big deal on a dress watch like a Villaret, but it is a problem for me on a tool watch.

The 45 mm versions of the FF use the 1315 movement, which includes the free sprung balance, hacking seconds, and the silicon hairspring. It also offers triple barrels and 120 hours of power reserve. Unfortunately, judging by the position of the date function on the 45 mm version, it probably won't fit in a smaller case.

If you don't care about the details of movement architecture and/or aren't overly tough on your watch, these differences might not matter to you.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:20 PM   #35
Chinballs
"TRF" Member

Watch is up on the Blancpain website.

I can't link as I don't have enough posts.
Chinballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:31 PM   #36
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

https://www.blancpain.com/en/fifty-f...ry/no-rad-2021

14,100 USD
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:43 PM   #37
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms new limited edition unveiled on the 15th of March

Same faux patina, polished case, strap, coin bezel and date window as the Barakuda.
It is a pity, brushed case and no date would have made it a winner for me.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 08:50 PM   #38
yoast
"TRF" Member

Can someone please kindly explain to me what the appeal of the 50 fathoms is? I just don't see it - especially with this example.
Fauxtina, Gaudy writing on the side of the case, unimpressive movement, too many iterations of the same watch not to mention the price; 14k?? really?
No offence to any owners as you will have your reasons to like the watch but it just seems like such a boring and overpriced watch to me.
Old 15 March 2021, 09:01 PM   #39
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
why can't bp just give us a regular 40mm fifty fathoms production model? is it that hard to give us what we want?!!
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 09:06 PM   #40
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I like it - probably could have done without the date window but I think overall it’s very nice and priced right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 March 2021, 09:09 PM   #41
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch but the price has always put me off. I will admire from afar.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 09:25 PM   #42
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

As many, i would like to see just a regular 40mm version, i'm losing interest and confidence into BP as there are now too many iterations of limited editions that are too close to each other in design, and i'm not a fan a faux patina. also, no rad in 2021 is not really of any interest neither. Just the 45mm model (i prefer the hands on that model too) reduced to 40 or 41 would have been nice.
Lo100169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 09:32 PM   #43
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
$14k. GTFOH.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 09:34 PM   #44
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
can someone please kindly explain to me what the appeal of the 50 fathoms is? I just don't see it - especially with this example.
Fauxtina, gaudy writing on the side of the case, unimpressive movement, too many iterations of the same watch not to mention the price; 14k?? Really?
No offence to any owners as you will have your reasons to like the watch but it just seems like such a boring and overpriced watch to me.
+1
Old 15 March 2021, 09:36 PM   #45
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo100169 View Post
As many, i would like to see just a regular 40mm version, i'm losing interest and confidence into BP as there are now too many iterations of limited editions that are too close to each other in design, and i'm not a fan a faux patina. also, no rad in 2021 is not really of any interest neither. Just the 45mm model (i prefer the hands on that model too) reduced to 40 or 41 would have been nice.
This is the watch I want from BP.
Old 15 March 2021, 09:56 PM   #46
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo100169 View Post
as many, i would like to see just a regular 40mm version, i'm losing interest and confidence into bp as there are now too many iterations of limited editions that are too close to each other in design, and i'm not a fan a faux patina. Also, no rad in 2021 is not really of any interest neither. Just the 45mm model (i prefer the hands on that model too) reduced to 40 or 41 would have been nice.
+1

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 10:09 PM   #47
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

I find the fake vintage exaggerated. I much prefer my Mil Spec on this aspect (index, bezel).

Otherwise as usual, the specs are convincing. The standard price.
For those who do not yet have their Fifty Fathoms limited, this is the opportunity...

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 10:11 PM   #48
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Fauxtina looks too heavy handed for me. A few years ago I’d have been all over this but I think I need to stop buying these because I never like them when they arrive.
Old 15 March 2021, 10:12 PM   #49
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Can someone please kindly explain to me what the appeal of the 50 fathoms is? I just don't see it - especially with this example.
Fauxtina, Gaudy writing on the side of the case, unimpressive movement, too many iterations of the same watch not to mention the price; 14k?? really?

Historically significant diver. That’s the beginning and end.
Old 15 March 2021, 10:23 PM   #50
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Fauxtina looks too heavy handed for me. A few years ago I’d have been all over this but I think I need to stop buying these because I never like them when they arrive.
My gig too. Sticking with Hodinkee (for now)
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 10:53 PM   #51
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I like it. Will see it tomorrow in real before deciding if I buy it, but I like it more than the Hodinkee version (which I own). Strange enough, I like this watch more with the date, although I typically prefer no date. The Hodinkee version is almost too simple. This looks better imo. Strap definitely better than nato. Only that side inscription...
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 11:25 PM   #52
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
I like it. Will see it tomorrow in real before deciding if I buy it, but I like it more than the Hodinkee version (which I own). Strange enough, I like this watch more with the date, although I typically prefer no date. The Hodinkee version is almost too simple. This looks better imo. Strap definitely better than nato. Only that side inscription...
I assume these are available now. Or will you be looking at a prototype?
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 11:48 PM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

At least the hands are the correct length FFS
Old 15 March 2021, 11:51 PM   #54
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I assume these are available now. Or will you be looking at a prototype?
I understood it is a standard watch, but not for sale. Just to try on and decide if people want to order one.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 12:32 AM   #55
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not a fan of any of the fauxtina options or the movement in the 40mm variants but generally if we compare the basic 45mm Fifty Fathoms to something like a Rolex sub it is just better finishing EVERYWHERE.

Cases are hand finished (no sharp machined edges), polished surfaces are polished to a higher degree, brushed surfaces are a finer grit of brushing, markers and hands polished perfectly, paint applied more precisely, and of course the movement is finished to a higher level. I don't know about this movement but the 1315 is imho Rolex tough while being better finished and more accomplished than something from AP.

Aesthetics are subjective so of course it might be boring to some (this new release is a snoozer) but I don't think they are overpriced. Compared to what you get from AP for a diver the BP is a bargain.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 12:38 AM   #56
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post

Cases are hand finished (no sharp machined edges), polished surfaces are polished to a higher degree, brushed surfaces are a finer grit of brushing, markers and hands polished perfectly, paint applied more precisely, and of course the movement is finished to a higher level. I don't know about this movement but the 1315 is imho Rolex tough while being better finished and more accomplished than something from AP.

Aesthetics are subjective so of course it might be boring to some (this new release is a snoozer) but I don't think they are overpriced. Compared to what you get from AP for a diver the BP is a bargain.

Of course, it's a diver of higher watchmaking than an industrial Sub. I have both and confirm.
There is also perhaps the SeaQ panorama from Glashütte which comes close in terms of caliber and case finishes...I would say between the two, Blancpain is on top.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 01:19 AM   #57
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with this, wholeheartedly. I like this version, but I would rather hold out for a 45mm "no radiations." Or, wait for the next release. :)

I have a few BP pieces to rotate through until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post

stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 01:22 AM   #58
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

Was available through the Hodinkee shop for a short period, but sold out already. I wonder how many they had allocated.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 03:01 AM   #59
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

Sigh, disappointed even though I knew what was coming with the teaser pic, I guess I was hoping for something surprisingly special. Unfortunately we got another 'faux lumed' 'special edition' reissuance. I understand the significance of the 'No radiations' dial and can appreciate the heritage behind it, but come on.

Blancpain, please stop with the faux lume. Faux lume is the equivalent of buying blue jeans with factory torn holes. Would anyone buy a new Rolex Sub with factory added dings / scratches, faded bezel, or stretched bracelet to give the watch an old look?

For years I hated the Sub, for the sole reason everyone had one. Just to be different, I nearly pulled the trigger on a Fifty Fathoms or Bathyscaphe many times, but couldn't get past the 45mm / 43mm (too big) and 38mm (too small) for my wrist size and ended up, well... getting a Sub. I'm now a total convert to the Sub and understand the appeal. It's a nice wearing fine time piece with heritage to boot.

As others have posted on this site, if Blancpain would just make the 40mm case a standard issued piece, with a simple updated dial, date / no date versions available, standard lume say in an Aqua Lung style, they could be a serious contender to pull sales away from the Submariner crowd. Some of us WIS might even own both!

Ok, rant over.
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 03:27 AM   #60
paxsinica
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bigalow View Post
Sigh, disappointed even though I knew what was coming with the teaser pic, I guess I was hoping for something surprisingly special. Unfortunately we got another 'faux lumed' 'special edition' reissuance. I understand the significance of the 'No radiations' dial and can appreciate the heritage behind it, but come on.

Blancpain, please stop with the faux lume. Faux lume is the equivalent of buying blue jeans with factory torn holes. Would anyone buy a new Rolex Sub with factory added dings / scratches, faded bezel, or stretched bracelet to give the watch an old look?

For years I hated the Sub, for the sole reason everyone had one. Just to be different, I nearly pulled the trigger on a Fifty Fathoms or Bathyscaphe many times, but couldn't get past the 45mm / 43mm (too big) and 38mm (too small) for my wrist size and ended up, well... getting a Sub. I'm now a total convert to the Sub and understand the appeal. It's a nice wearing fine time piece with heritage to boot.

As others have posted on this site, if Blancpain would just make the 40mm case a standard issued piece, with a simple updated dial, date / no date versions available, standard lume say in an Aqua Lung style, they could be a serious contender to pull sales away from the Submariner crowd. Some of us WIS might even own both!

Ok, rant over.
Very well said!!
paxsinica is offline   Reply With Quote