The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 March 2021, 07:42 AM   #1
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Incoming Independent

This is quite a lengthy post...feel free to skip my ramblings and go straight to the pics at the end

I first saw the Urban Jurgensen 1140 champagne dial in Cellini of NYC back in 2019 (I was able to secure one of the first available for purchase). I loved everything about it... except the dial color. The defining trait of this 1 of 50 limited edition. Why champagne instead of salmon? Surely salmon would have been the more popular choice amongst collectors. Not enamored with the dial color I left it for someone else.

A couple months ago, this watch crept back into my mind (I think a thread on here was the linchpin). I was looking for a new watch, something unique and my love of independents steered me back in the direction of Urban Jurgensen. Maybe it was the lighting that day or maybe I was blinded by getting a salmon dialed watch... but I completely missed the point. Amidst the sea of blue, green and salmon dials, Urban Jurgensen have manged to create something special. Something that pays homage to early yellow gold dress watches. Champagne is beautifuly timeless. There is nothing quite like it in production today.

Urban watches are not truly "in-house", they make no effort to hide this. This was no issue to me, I've long since got over that hang up. Urban source from the best artisans in the industry. So... this is a franken watch of sorts. The results though are spectacular; I'm enamored and regret waiting as long as I did. To those that think this watch closely resembles a Voutilainen, you are correct. Kari was a former employee who was allowed to use the Urban Jurgensen design language when he left.

Without further adieu...

Let's start with the standout feature... the dial. The guilloche on the solid silver dial requires 700 operations and two full days to complete. The guilloche work is flawless. The basket weave in the subsecond dial is particularly fetching. The dial color is extremely dynamic. It can range from a soft yellow to a truly metallic yellow gold.

Each pair of the steel hands take one full day to craft, thermally blue and polish. The Arabic numerals are hand cut from white gold and mirror polished in a way to create a slight domed, bombe style. The way the numerals play off the light is mesmerizing. They are the watch's standout feature to me.

The movement was created by Jean-Francois Mojon of Chronode (the same man behind many MB&F movements). It utilizes a Swiss lever escapement and partly skeletonized full balance bridge. It's decorated with thermally blued screws, cotes de solei stripes and nicely executed bevels. There is perlage visible on the mainplate as well. Overall, very nicely finished. The winding action, although not as smooth as a Lange, is also nice and cathartic.

The individually soldered teardrop lugs arch around the wrist nicely; they are polished extremely well. Although not pictured here, the steel case features a nicely complex design with a slightly cambered, stepped out midsection and a slightly concave step to the sapphire.

Even the box is well done. The craftsmanship on this lacquered wood box also surpassed expectations.

Some more random pics...

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 08:06 AM   #2
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice. Classy looking. I like the gold/champagne dial. Have heard of this brand, but never really saw one in person. Thanks for the level of detail from an owner’s perspective.

Enjoy!
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 08:48 AM   #3
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Looks gorgeous buddy and very nice writeup. Congrats again. Wear it in good health.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 09:02 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Congrats
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 09:06 AM   #5
samarth1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Cornes de Vache
Gorgeous! Love the Breguet and VC influences on this piece. One of the finest independents at the moment. Enjoy it in good health!
samarth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 09:07 AM   #6
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, congratulations!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 09:08 AM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Beautiful watch, I love Urban Jurgensen. Congratulations, I recently saw one of your other posts where you mentioned this watch so I can see that it stuck with you.
If I can pick your brain, do you have any thoughts on the UJ One, the stainless on bracelet that came out a few years ago? I've been toying with picking up one of these, the 3 hander, but I'm weak and need the approval of others.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 09:17 AM   #8
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Beautiful watch, I love Urban Jurgensen. Congratulations, I recently saw one of your other posts where you mentioned this watch so I can see that it stuck with you.
If I can pick your brain, do you have any thoughts on the UJ One, the stainless on bracelet that came out a few years ago? I've been toying with picking up one of these, the 3 hander, but I'm weak and need the approval of others.
It's awesome, do it.

I have spoken.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 11:41 AM   #9
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Gorgeous watch! Congratulations. I really like everything about Urban Jurgensen watches. I agree that a salmon dial would have been more popular but the champagne dial is quite unique and lovely.

My only suggestion would be to put in on a monotone stitch alligator strap, as the sporty contrast stitched suede strap doesn't really work, as this watch can't really dress down, given the guilloche, numerals, and hands.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 12:29 PM   #10
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
That's a beautiful dial texture and unique movement finish. Very nice
Old 19 March 2021, 02:49 PM   #11
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

This is a beauty! A lot of charm and character. Very nice, I’m jealous. I also have the same book in the background, though I have yet to understand much of it :-)
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 04:05 PM   #12
AG23
"TRF" Member

Congrats- that is a beautiful watch with a lot of stunning details. The numerals are so nice and characterful- particularly the 3. I could look at that alone for days...
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 04:14 PM   #13
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
11/10 for that beauty.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 06:36 PM   #14
Brew
"TRF" Member

Soooo many textures, tones, and colors. Beautiful.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 07:08 PM   #15
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Gorgeous watch, congrats!
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 07:51 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
It's awesome, do it.

I have spoken.
Thanks, I need a lot of affirmation. Yours helps.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 08:27 PM   #17
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Great watch. I pass an UJ dealer most days (or did before COVID) and their pieces are just gorgeous. Enjoy it in good health.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 10:26 PM   #18
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Excellent watch buddy. Glad you finally made it back around to it!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 10:28 PM   #19
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 10:36 PM   #20
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Congratulations! Very nice piece - love the dial color - I would add a croc strap as another has said.
Old 19 March 2021, 10:48 PM   #21
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, I need a lot of affirmation. Yours helps.
Look at how the guilloché pattern on the dial is mirrored in the bracelet construction. This is a marvelous watch. So much thought went into it and it has strong UJ DNA.
Old 19 March 2021, 10:50 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That is a work of art Congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 11:50 PM   #23
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for the kind words all

Quote:
I’ve never actually held one in person. If I’m honest, I’m not really a sport watch kind of guy. But from everything I have read on it, the watch is extremely well finished. I personally love that it is unique and they didn’t just copy a Genta design philosophy. I did see (I think from a Tim Mosso video) that the watch wore a little big due to the bracelet being a little stiff at the lug pivot. I’d suggest trying one on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Gorgeous watch! Congratulations. I really like everything about Urban Jurgensen watches. I agree that a salmon dial would have been more popular but the champagne dial is quite unique and lovely.

My only suggestion would be to put in on a monotone stitch alligator strap, as the sporty contrast stitched suede strap doesn't really work, as this watch can't really dress down, given the guilloche, numerals, and hands.
I ordered two straps for this watch before I had the watch in hand. Haha. The strap it comes in is honestly one of the most comfortable and supple I’ve ever felt, but I’m with you...the style isn’t for me. That said, the gator strap I ordered isn’t conventional, so we’ll see how that looks. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Looks gorgeous buddy and very nice writeup. Congrats again. Wear it in good health.
Many thanks amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Excellent watch buddy. Glad you finally made it back around to it!
A year and a half to make up my mind. I’ve always been told I research everything too much. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Congratulations! Very nice piece - love the dial color - I would add a croc strap as another has said.
Many thanks! Two custom straps were already on order before I picked up the watch. I definitely took a chance on the color...let’s see if it works.

Old 19 March 2021, 11:57 PM   #24
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
This is a beauty! A lot of charm and character. Very nice, I’m jealous. I also have the same book in the background, though I have yet to understand much of it :-)
Haha, let’s just say I don’t understand much of what’s in that book either...maybe one day. For those wondering, that is a George Daniels book on watchmaking on my coffee table.

Old 20 March 2021, 12:03 AM   #25
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyrba View Post
looks gorgeous buddy and very nice writeup. Congrats again. Wear it in good health.
+1
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 01:28 AM   #26
unknown
"TRF" Member

Nice watch !
Congratulations
Old 20 March 2021, 03:21 AM   #27
kunlun
"TRF" Member

UJ's are very nice, big congrats, speedy.
Old 20 March 2021, 10:40 AM   #28
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch. Congratulations.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 02:47 PM   #29
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 07:11 PM   #30
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

Wow, what a stunner. I agree with your assessment of the gold vs salmon dial. Initially those were my thoughts too, but after seeing this in the flesh in Cellini I was convinced champagne was the right call. Salmon is beautiful, but in my view I was being swayed by market trends...the champagne dial is amazing.

Huge congrats on your UJ! They are definitely on my short list of 'targets' for a new piece. Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, perhaps as they evolve, regarding the watch....and of course pics with the new straps are always welcome too.

How does the winding action feel different to Lange? The 1815 chrono winding action is super buttery imo, but I haven't wound an UJ. My smoothest winding movement is an old omega 321, but that's not close to Lange either. It's tough to wind things in the flesh at the moment.

In short, I love the watch, congrats again and thanks for posting...made my morning.
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote