The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2021, 11:21 PM   #61
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
To maximize your happiness when you relocate, you may want to ensure that you pick a community of like-minded people that uses and accepts your kind of language rather than the more conventional, neutral, non-controversial terminology (e.g., "COVID-19" or "the coronavirus"). The people you're around will be much more important than the climate when it comes to your happiness/satisfaction after moving, IMHO, and you don't want to be "that guy." Casually throwing around terms like "China Virus" in the way that you just did right here, to a broad audience, will raise eyebrows in many places.
Will be sure to avoid any locale where stating the truth will raise eyebrows.

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 11:21 PM   #62
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
^Woke police has entered the thread
Defund the woke police.
Old 15 April 2021, 05:05 AM   #63
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To maximize your happiness when you relocate, you may want to ensure that you pick a community of like-minded people that uses and accepts your kind of language rather than the more conventional, neutral, non-controversial terminology (e.g., "COVID-19" or "the coronavirus"). The people you're around will be much more important than the climate when it comes to your happiness/satisfaction after moving, IMHO, and you don't want to be "that guy." Casually throwing around terms like "China Virus" in the way that you just did right here, to a broad audience, will raise eyebrows in many places.
Oh definitely!!!

Still not sure why we can't accurately name it, but we can talk about the South African variant, Hong Kong flu, etc.

PC gone mad!

One of those things that "goes without saying" but some don't have the manners to resist pointing it out.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 05:06 AM   #64
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Will be sure to avoid any locale where stating the truth will raise eyebrows.

I don't think belief in absolute truth is allowable in some of the places I'll be sure to avoid.

"Own lived truth" is the standard I believe.
Old 15 April 2021, 05:06 AM   #65
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
It's sort of the best of both worlds, a different culture while being part of the US, occasionally see US military helicopters flying overhead. Health care system rated the best in the Caribbean, much cheaper rates than US care, your US health insurance probably covers there also. A distinct Spanish influence, it was part of Spain until not much more than a century ago. Wife grew up in Spain and loves it there. Wonderful food, like Spanish seasonings, not spicy, great seafood like FL, weekend whole pig roasts in the mountains, Anthony Bourdain loved those. Like anywhere, there are wealthy areas (Condado Beach, San Juan) and poor ones. Temps generally in the 80s along the coast with consistent ocean breezes, water swimmable all year round, unlike FL there are mountain areas, they can get in the 40s at night. Cell phone and internet works just like home. Puerto Rico isn't on the radar of many travelers yet they go to Mexico with it's cartels, filth and bad water, not many English speakers there either. I was reading one NYT travel editor who said PR was his favorite destination. Lots of history, Old San Juan looks like Europe, we went to Palm Sunday service at the San Juan cathedral, they are celebrating their 500th anniversary this year. Massive El Morro fort, a must see.

The Puerto Rico Covid policy isn't much different than in the mainland, we did have to get tested before going there but as it is part of the US you don't have to get tested when you come home.

A few photos, wife at home of Ponce de Leon, beach scene (that beach is rated one of the top 25 in the Caribbean), El Convento Hotel, former convent from the 1600s now a very nice hotel, gratuitous Rolex photo, two-tone Sub San Juan jeweler wanted to sell me for $12K, not my style.

BTW, Puerto Rico residents do not pay US income tax on income earned in PR.

You've given me enjoyable homework. THANKS
Old 15 April 2021, 05:18 AM   #66
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I don't think belief in absolute truth is allowable in some of the places I'll be sure to avoid.

"Own lived truth" is the standard I believe.
Non-sheeple will respect that.
Old 15 April 2021, 05:57 AM   #67
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
Marco Island
+1 for Marco Island
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 12:56 AM   #68
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:

Oh dear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote