The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2021, 05:00 PM   #1
topito
"TRF" Member

AP RO Offshore's resale value doesn't quite keep up with other royal oak model, Why?

I've always wanted to buy AP ROO for ages. After saving up enough money this year. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger. My dream one is second-hand ROO Safari (around '16)
So I started digging for more information on current market resale value... And I was shocked that other royal oak models' price like 15400 are skyrocketing... But Offshore steel models aren't going anywhere near.

Any explanation? Thank you in advance🙏
topito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 07:29 PM   #2
edo
"TRF" Member

If this watch is something you always wanted you should be happy to be able to get it at good price and not worrie what will be in next years.

This hobby is suposed to be about passion, and people these days treat it like crypto and stock market.
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 07:39 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
My platinum 44mm offshore dropped significantly the moment I left the AD but it’s my favourite watch and after 5 years I still like it as much as the day I bought it.

Prices go in phases so maybe in another 5 years when people are working from home more and not needing to wear a suit as often maybe demand for the more casual Offshore will increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 08:07 PM   #4
ragsk
Banned

I think a 44mm watch is invariably going to have less demand.

Seems to be the case all round actually. Rolex for example also have less demand for their 43mm and 44mm models. Both the 43mm Sea-Dweller and the 44mm Deep Sea are much easier to get hold of than other Rolex steel models.

I think AP releasing a 43mm offshore is quite a logical move. I certainly will be picking up another offshore when the right model comes along.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 08:40 PM   #5
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think the offshore line will see a revival and uptick in demand with the new releases of the diver and the 43mm ROO. I think the new ones were done rather tastefully and not over the top (except for the green and rose gold diver). Definitely a viable alternative to the ROs going forward.

Regarding the OP’s question, size and media prevalence play a role in the demand of the models. 10 years ago Hublot Big Bang and the Offshore were the sought after products. Huge watches were also the trend, which plays to the strength of the Big Bangs and The ROOs. Then Hublot released too many special editions which to some extend AP as well and that kinda took some of its prestige away. The financial crisis in 2008 also caused a decreased in demand for high end watches which meant more selling than buying.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:03 PM   #6
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
I think a 44mm watch is invariably going to have less demand.

Seems to be the case all round actually. Rolex for example also have less demand for their 43mm and 44mm models. Both the 43mm Sea-Dweller and the 44mm Deep Sea are much easier to get hold of than other Rolex steel models.

I think AP releasing a 43mm offshore is quite a logical move. I certainly will be picking up another offshore when the right model comes along.
Safari is a 42mm watch.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:07 PM   #7
Emery
"TRF" Member

It's all a circus.

10 years ago, when offshores were hot as, nobody wanted a basic 3-hander ro.

Today, it's the other way round.

Stick around long enough, who knows what's next.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:15 PM   #8
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Safari is a 42mm watch.
I know but to me the 42mm has looked quite dated for a while.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 12:08 AM   #9
yoast
"TRF" Member

Offshores are too big and bulky for most. Besides that, the 42mm models are dated as others have stated.
Old 15 April 2021, 12:35 AM   #10
GS93108
"TRF" Member

All ROO models have historically been 'sports' watches and big ones at that. Thus they are somewhat less versatile that smaller RO models.

Not that this helps the OP with regards to his 'safari', but it's my feeling that the existing 44mm ROOs are going to appreciate across the board, IF AP confirms that the 44mm has been retired.

Equally, whether the 44mm has been retired or not, I think the new 43mm is going to definitely change the outlook on the ROO range. The new 43mm model is both smaller and more ergonomic and best of all it is 'dynamic' in that the straps are easily changed at home.

There are some of us that change our straps frequently and thus get many looks from a single watch, but we do it with screwdrivers. The new system will take any trepidation about strap changing away and thus the possibilities of a single ROO to have many looks is endless. I believe that this feature will prove to be the defining characteristic of AP's 'Be yourself' theme for release in the summer.

Short answer = ROOs may well start appreciating at a greater rate.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 12:41 AM   #11
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
All ROO models have historically been 'sports' watches and big ones at that. Thus they are somewhat less versatile that smaller RO models.

Not that this helps the OP with regards to his 'safari', but it's my feeling that the existing 44mm ROOs are going to appreciate across the board, IF AP confirms that the 44mm has been retired.

Equally, whether the 44mm has been retired or not, I think the new 43mm is going to definitely change the outlook on the ROO range. The new 43mm model is both smaller and more ergonomic and best of all it is 'dynamic' in that the straps are easily changed at home.

There are some of us that change our straps frequently and thus get many looks from a single watch, but we do it with screwdrivers. The new system will take any trepidation about strap changing away and thus the possibilities of a single ROO to have many looks is endless. I believe that this feature will prove to be the defining characteristic of AP's 'Be yourself' theme for release in the summer.

Short answer = ROOs may well start appreciating at a greater rate.
I think this is correct. Can't wait to see the 43 evolve a bit from the initial releases.
Old 15 April 2021, 01:09 AM   #12
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
The ROO has the most uncomfortable clasp I've worn. Pretty shocking for such a prestige brand
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 01:17 AM   #13
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
The ROO has the most uncomfortable clasp I've worn. Pretty shocking for such a prestige brand
The problem with the 44mm ROO is its size, relative to your wrist dimensions.

I'm 6' 1", so not a small person, but I wear either an XS strap or a half XS strap and half normal size strap. Not only does it make the sizing better but it positions the buckle in a better position, and thus makes it far more comfortable.

However, if you mean a folding clasp rather than buckle, then I agree with you, I had one on my ROO tourb with alligator strap and it was no where near as comfortable as a buckle.

My wife has a folding clasp on her Lady ROOs and she loves the fit and comfort level, naturally though they are 37mm versions.

p.s.

Also, for comfort, try swapping the orientation of the two parts of the strap, i.e. attach the long tab to the case where the buckle tab currently is located, and vice versa.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 01:58 AM   #14
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Offshore isn't as desirable as the original RO that's why its pricing doesn't keep up. Also the bracelet on the RO is a a key feature in its appeal and its not present on the Offshore.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:36 AM   #15
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
The AP deployant is horrendous. The tang is great IMO.
Old 15 April 2021, 03:09 AM   #16
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

They are huge and most are pretty ugly IMO. The original line is much more flexible.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 03:28 AM   #17
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
I know but to me the 42mm has looked quite dated for a while.
Yeah, but sometimes dated ain't so bad:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beast_Apr21.jpg (64.6 KB, 1072 views)
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 04:55 AM   #18
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

At one point, I had 6 AP's, I am down to two now. The one I wear the most, and I own PP/AP/Rolex, is my FC Diver. Its bad ass, nobody knows what it is and extremely durable. Buy what you like and do not worry about value so much. My .02.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 05:08 AM   #19
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Yeah, but sometimes dated ain't so bad:

I think a pal of mine is buying a new one of these on Friday when we go to AP House. He’s very keen on the 42mm Offshores, I think this one is a rare model that requires a purchase history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:12 AM   #20
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I'm going to be bold and say the reason why the valuations are off for ROO's vs. RO's is simply because the social media hype machine and the grey market big players (it's not just their fault, it's the fault of hype, too) have not really taken to pumping up the ROO's.

Yes, there's somewhat less appeal and desirability for ROO's vs. RO's, but desirability and natural demand isn't what's only driving up RO prices and/or maintaining higher valuations in comparison to the ROO.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:23 AM   #21
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
2 big- tubba tubba tubba
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 12:37 PM   #22
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I dare guess that the new line will start to be the turnaround of the ROO line. (Better product differentiation, more display backs, and of course very distinct from black panther. Seems like a real bargain in both looks and price when compared to that - I jest, I jest).
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:41 PM   #23
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
2 big- tubba tubba tubba
More for me brother, more for me

Old 15 April 2021, 11:39 PM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
More for me brother, more for me

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 12:46 AM   #25
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by topito View Post
I've always wanted to buy AP ROO for ages. After saving up enough money this year. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger. My dream one is second-hand ROO Safari (around '16)
So I started digging for more information on current market resale value... And I was shocked that other royal oak models' price like 15400 are skyrocketing... But Offshore steel models aren't going anywhere near.

44mm offshores like many have said is hard to pull off for many people. That brings demand down by quite a lot.

42mm offshores are big but more accessible. 42mm offshores with arabic numerals, like the safari have been made in such large quantities for so many years that supply outsizes demand in the second hand market. Don't get me wrong though there is demand for 42mm offshores and they do move at a decent pace just not 15202ST craziness.

That said if you want an offshore that would appreciate in "value", I would look at the earlier blob indices 25721ST with the blue dial or the 25721TI with grey dial with blue subdials or full blue dial.

Those have been discontinued a while and going forward I believe that AP will
discontinue 42mm offshores except for the "beast" reissue and only make 43mm with the in house movement. I don't have a crystal ball, I only know that I like the blob indices dial better than the arabic numerals and the one I have is worn quite often. Also noticed the price on them have been slowly creeping up over the past two years.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 12:51 AM   #26
peterpl
Banned

Both the 44mm and 42mm ROO lines are quite large watches and thick as well. They are not in that high demand simply because of the size of them.

Hard to wear if you got skinny wrists especially the 44mms which are huge chunks of metal.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 01:03 AM   #27
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topito View Post

I purchased my ROO safari manufactured in 2017 with ceramic pushers on my birthday last August from a reputable 2nd hand dealer with box papers etc in new condition and paid $16,800+tax for it. You will be hard pressed to find that watch now under $19k most listing are in the low $20's. Values are stronger then ever on the ROO models right now and demand is crazy. Is it on the same level as a ROC no but if you love the watch just enjoy it and its still a smart buy. Don't over think it here its a silly luxury item that makes no sense to begin with but if its your passion and it brings you happiness DO IT.
Old 16 April 2021, 01:18 AM   #28
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Bought my one and only offshore in the collection for 32k from boutique. Now I see the retail raised to 39k and you won’t be able to find one under retail in the secondary market.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 01:28 AM   #29
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
The AP deployant is horrendous. The tang is great IMO.
That's true but to be fair, how difficult is it to make a tang buckle :P

As others mentioned, the bracelet is such a massive feature of the RO, so recognisable that someone sitting across from you in a cafe, or across the road as you're waiting to cross (with good eyesight) and even if you are walking in front of someone, it is unmistakably an AP - similar to a jubilee or president bracelet. That's the litmus test for me and another reason why I personally love wearing my ROs
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 01:59 AM   #30
topito
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your advice. Just made up my mind and pulled the trigger. Couldn't resist its beauty... 🍻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy996 View Post
I purchased my ROO safari manufactured in 2017 with ceramic pushers on my birthday last August from a reputable 2nd hand dealer with box papers etc in new condition and paid $16,800+tax for it. You will be hard pressed to find that watch now under $19k most listing are in the low $20's. Values are stronger then ever on the ROO models right now and demand is crazy. Is it on the same level as a ROC no but if you love the watch just enjoy it and its still a smart buy. Don't over think it here its a silly luxury item that makes no sense to begin with but if its your passion and it brings you happiness DO IT.
topito is offline   Reply With Quote