The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 April 2021, 11:07 PM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting article on Analog time...

https://www.additudemag.com/analog-c...ness-benefits/
Old 17 April 2021, 01:50 AM   #2
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Crazy but I literally explained this to my AD on why I'm obsessed with watches. You "see" time on an analog watch versus a digital watch you "tell" time.
And the gliding seconds hand is a beauty to me, weird that I don't get Seiko spring drive for smooth gliding.

The beauty of an analog watch particularly with a seconds hand is that it reflects the constant push forward of time, not stopping or pausing. digital and quartz watches don't have the same transmission with the tick-pause-tick, but the biggest thing is to look down and see I have two hours left or that the hands are moving closer to noon, lunch is coming....or that I only have three fifteen minute sectors to do xyz...

I have my Garmin set to an analog dial layout, and I understand you can put an analog dial on an Apple watch with a gliding seconds hand...this is the only way to go, I don't have anything that goes on my wrist in digital format. Obviously, my passion is for mechanical watches for various other reasons.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 01:56 AM   #3
Brew
"TRF" Member

Very interesting. My favorite part of analogue time telling is the constant reminder that nothing is perfect. Good enough has been and will always be good enough.

Tinnitus also seems to be relieved by ticking.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 07:16 AM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
It doesn't matter how many of what kinds of clocks I have visible at any given time, I still lose track.

Fortunately for me, I tend to show up early for almost everything I need to do, so that even if I get behind I'm usually still early--like yesterday, when I realized that I was dressed and ready to leave twenty minutes minutes before I needed to leave and then realized that I'd let that twenty minutes slide by plus another ten minutes.

I had three stops to make before my bowling lesson in fifty minutes and still arrived 10 minutes early for the lesson.

I have a digital and an analog clock in the living room and devices all over the house that will actually tell me the time when I ask, not including my watch and my phone.

In the car, there's the digital clock on the dash and my watch and my phone, which is visible while I'm driving, too.

I don't use tricks like setting my watches and clocks five minutes fast, like a lot of people used to do, but that was before clocks that synced with time standards like NIST, etc.

I just get moving early and move as fast as I can.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote