The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2018, 11:58 PM   #1
KKholiday77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yourself
Heart is set on a BLNR!

Hi Everyone,
I have been a member on here for a short time now, but have been a long time Rolex owner. I have a SubC LN, an older Sub TT Bluesy, a Panerai 312, and my first watch, a Breitling Crosswind Special.
I have been trying for sometime now to get a BLNR (Batman) from an AD and I am told that they will add me on a list and they have no idea how long it will take. I am skeptical with all the postings I have read whether or not I am actually on a list at all. With that said, I am getting impatient and I will not purchase from a grey market! Any suggestions out there?
Thanks in advance!
KKholiday77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 12:02 AM   #2
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
If you ask me the mild premium might be worth it on this one. Especially once you factor in sales tax. Your only other option if you refuse to go grey is to try and get on as many AD lists as possible. This watch might be easier to get now that the new Pepsi is out
Old 7 September 2018, 12:23 AM   #3
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
If AD wait is long and not willing to go grey, only option left is mugging someone?
Kidding aside, there is no other option if looking to buy new.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 12:34 AM   #4
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
I think a lot ADs actually have two lists. One is an "has shown interest" list and the other is a "vetted buyer with interest" list.

If you're on the "has shown interest" list you only get a phone call if they can't get in touch with any vetted buyer. That's why some people wait a year for a watch.

I showed interest in the BLNR with my AD last January. I emailed him and visited occasionally but never heard anything other than stories about the SS shortage. Then in June I bought a Rolex Explorer that he had sitting in the case.

Three weeks later I got the call that the BLNR was available. I jumped from the "interest" list to the "vetted" list as I had been willing to drop almost $7,000 on an Explorer, they knew I wasn't a tire kicker.

These watches are hard to find and they sell immediately when they come in, but that doesn't mean that the dealer isn't getting them. They get stainless steel watches every week or two weeks. Sometimes it's a Submariner, sometimes it's a GMT, sometimes it's a Daytona. They may or may not know what is coming in ahead of time (I'm not sure about that), so why should they waste their time calling 20 people on a "has shown interest" list that may or may not be ready to actually purchase the watch when they can just call the first vetted buyer who has already proved his "credit-worthiness" so to speak, and they'll buy it immediately? Hence the 20 people on the other list never even get a phone call.
Old 7 September 2018, 12:45 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKholiday77 View Post

With that said, I am getting impatient and I will not purchase from a grey market!
I'm always curious when I read this statement followed by a request for advice on what to do next.

You do realize there are two choices and when you eliminate one you're left with the other one, right?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 12:51 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
With that said, I am getting impatient and I will not purchase from a grey market! Any suggestions out there?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, wait until an AD has one, simple.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 12:59 AM   #7
Bo-Dacious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'm always curious when I read this statement followed by a request for advice on what to do next.

You do realize there are two choices and when you eliminate one you're left with the other one, right?
I think his request for advice is valid.

You do have more than two choices. If your not willing to wait for the AD or your not going to utilize the grey market, the last option is to purchase used.

The only way to expedite the process with an AD is to gain their favor. This typically done by purchasing other products from them. If your not willing to do that, visit them often and be kind to the sales people. The first option will give you more definitive results and the latter will take a bit of luck.

My advice is to just wait.
Bo-Dacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 01:11 AM   #8
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo-Dacious View Post
I think his request for advice is valid.

You do have more than two choices. If your not willing to wait for the AD or your not going to utilize the grey market, the last option is to purchase used.

The only way to expedite the process with an AD is to gain their favor. This typically done by purchasing other products from them. If your not willing to do that, visit them often and be kind to the sales people. The first option will give you more definitive results and the latter will take a bit of luck.

My advice is to just wait.
I think a lot of us think of the "grey" market and used market as the same thing. Anything other than AD is "grey" territory
Old 7 September 2018, 01:19 AM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If you are only wanting to go the AD route, try some others if you're not getting results for your current AD.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 02:58 AM   #10
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
If you are absolutely set on not going grey.. then I would visit a few AD's around your area and put your eggs in multiple baskets.. good luck!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 03:03 AM   #11
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
If you bought from that AD before they should at least be able to tell you how many people are roughly ahead of you on the list. That should give you a decent sense of how long things will take.

I'd also suggest driving around and visiting some other local ADs. Show your sincere interest and readiness to move fast -- you might be in for a "you know we actually just got one" surprise with the right person. This is not an impossible watch to get.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 03:03 AM   #12
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Just been trying a friends new one; very nice indeed. Interestingly, he seems rather lucky with his AD, having got several 'difficult' watches and been promised the next ceramic Daytona. He doesn't buy the previous metal stuff, the staff just seem to like him! And it may come down to weird things like that....
Although this is the UK, he drives a new five litre Mustang. Maybe that's the secret.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 03:34 AM   #13
KKholiday77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

Thanks for your input
Old 7 September 2018, 03:36 AM   #14
KKholiday77
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate it. I was able to add myself to a few more lists. Now I have to wait it out.
Old 7 September 2018, 03:42 AM   #15
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was able to add myself to a few more lists. Now I have to wait it out.
If you called to add yourself to these lists, be sure to stop into the stores and follow-up. Many ADs won't add names over the phone despite what they say. Stop in, get some face time, chat them up and confirm that they have your name down.

It's silly to have to put in this much effort but it's required in today's market of scarcity and flipping.

Good luck and happy hunting!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 03:50 AM   #16
KKholiday77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
If you called to add yourself to these lists, be sure to stop into the stores and follow-up. Many ADs won't add names over the phone despite what they say. Stop in, get some face time, chat them up and confirm that they have your name down.

It's silly to have to put in this much effort but it's required in today's market of scarcity and flipping.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Thanks for the tip! I will head over to them soon.
Old 7 September 2018, 04:30 AM   #17
thegents
Banned

exercise more patience.
thegents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 06:04 AM   #18
calh22a
Banned

Sorry to hijack the thread, but on popular models like this one, are AD required to sell at list price as set by Rolex? Have you encountered ADs who markup because of limited supply (just like many car dealerships)? Thanks for the input.

On a side note, I visited my AD recently. I was really initially thinking about a DJ41, but I got interested in the GMT so decided to see if I could find one. I spoke to her about the waitlist and she said it makes a difference if you come in and see them face to face vs calling over the phone to get on a list. They have an LN on hand too. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on the LN, but it think BLNR would work better for me.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 06:29 AM   #19
R!$
Banned

BLNR is awesome! Good luck!
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 07:46 AM   #20
KKholiday77
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=calh22a;8911426]Sorry to hijack the thread, but on popular models like this one, are AD required to sell at list price as set by Rolex? Have you encountered ADs who markup because of limited supply (just like many car dealerships)? Thanks for the input.

Great Question! I am curious of that as well!
Old 7 September 2018, 08:22 AM   #21
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but on popular models like this one, are AD required to sell at list price as set by Rolex? Have you encountered ADs who markup because of limited supply (just like many car dealerships)? Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Great Question! I am curious of that as well!

The AD owns the watch and can sell it for whatever they feel like.
On the other hand, Rolex can choose to stop shipping watches or terminate their AD status with any AD they choose to.

Translation: AD's don't sell for above MSRP.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote