The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2018, 11:33 PM   #1
mrpstl750
"TRF" Member

5230G World Time NY Edition

I recently picked one up. I like the World Time reference but this watch was quite a bit more expensive than a standard 5131.

Do you think this watch is a keeper because there where only 300 made?

Thanks in advance for your input.
mrpstl750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 01:01 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

IMO 300 is a large number for a LE WT.

It's probably not a good idea to compare this watch with a 5131, which has an enamel dial.

If you love the watch, then it is a keeper.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:02 AM   #3
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
The 5131G was substantially more expensive than the 5230G NY when it was discontinued. $68,000 compared to $53,299 for the 5230G NY. I really like the watch but I wouldn't expect big returns in the short term.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:17 AM   #4
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

If you bought the 5230 NY Edition at sticker, it's already appreciated $30k+
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:26 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
If you bought the 5230 NY Edition at sticker, it's already appreciated $30k+
I think that is quite rich. They rarely ever get marked sold here and are listed low 60s even for a new examples and not selling.

I still think it is a very attractive piece just not one that has appreciated in the short term.
Old 23 October 2018, 05:27 AM   #6
"TRF" Member

Not sure why purchasing Pateks recently by "enthusiasts" have gravitated their questions on this forum regarding resale or future value of the watches purchased. One should always purchase watches based on their means...don't go out and purchase a $60k watch if your income level doesn't justify the purchase. Buying watches for gain/profit is probably not a solid investment advice. Furthermore, purchases should be based on your interest in the brand and probably months of research into the watch. I certainly don't wake up one day and say "I going buy a $60k watch today!" Watch purchases, especially Patek watches, are an art in itself...not an impulse buy as most ppl have done. They end up re-selling the watch or now have a $60K "jewelry" that they do not feel comfortable wearing. Always do your "research" before any purchase to avoid that "I wish I should have..." feeling.
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 05:40 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the NY one is very cool.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 06:10 AM   #8
mrpstl750
"TRF" Member

I bought it from a grey dealer for 54k.

I don't buy to sell or trade. Psychologically thought, I like to think my downside is 10%-15%. I think my loss would be greater on this watch. Shows me Chrono24 is far from accurate.
mrpstl750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 07:05 AM   #9
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1688 View Post
Not sure why purchasing Pateks recently by "enthusiasts" have gravitated their questions on this forum regarding resale or future value of the watches purchased. One should always purchase watches based on their means...don't go out and purchase a $60k watch if your income level doesn't justify the purchase. Buying watches for gain/profit is probably not a solid investment advice. Furthermore, purchases should be based on your interest in the brand and probably months of research into the watch. I certainly don't wake up one day and say "I going buy a $60k watch today!" Watch purchases, especially Patek watches, are an art in itself...not an impulse buy as most ppl have done. They end up re-selling the watch or now have a $60K "jewelry" that they do not feel comfortable wearing. Always do your "research" before any purchase to avoid that "I wish I should have..." feeling.
Sound advice Always buy watches that are within your means that really "sing" to you. Always start by doing your research to make sure it is not just short-lived infatuation or FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) which seems to drive some of the Nautilus demand at the moment.

Then buy the watch "right" to avoid taking too big a hit if you for whatever reason need to sell at a later point (e.g. not bonding with watch, restlessness, wanting to trade up to a more expensive watch or just needing to free up liquidity). Even those with almost unlimited funds do not like the feeling of having overpaid for something.

For some models buying right means building AD relationship and waiting for a while to buy at RRP (or if you are the more impatient type and/or waitlists are impossible buy at a reasonable but not crazy premium to circumvent playing the AD game). For other models it means buying from trusted sellers below RRP to get a great but under appreciated watch at a even greater price.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:42 PM   #10
SW1
Banned

I dont think uts going to be particularly desirous at 300 and as WT. Oy some of the 5130 LE are kf any unteredt at smaller production numbers. I think of Mecca at 150 as an example.
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 04:29 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think the NY one is very cool.
as do i, but its connected to a city and limits it as well. What would i need a NY theme watch for? sort of sums up my interest and non interest at the same time
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 04:44 PM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think at $54k which is near retail is not a bad price.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:11 PM   #13
metdrdg
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDayt, 5711, 5170
I feel like based on the listings on various websites only 100/300 purchased were ever by people wanting to actually wear the watch. So much inventory people trying to flip is probably hindering secondary sales.
metdrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 04:43 AM   #14
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

If you love the watch, then it is a keeper.
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote