The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2018, 03:09 AM   #1
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Easy Solution for SS Shortage

Hey Rolex, how about making more SS Sports watches and less of the ones that don't move easy!
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 03:16 AM   #2
Toe_Fuz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth..
"How about no." - Rolex
Toe_Fuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 03:23 AM   #3
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

”Dream on!”
- Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 03:27 AM   #4
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto16610 View Post
Hey Rolex, how about making more SS Sports watches and less of the ones that don't move easy!
I've been asking this question for a long time. One or two years of increased production of SS models will not devalue or damage the brand as many said. If it does, then Rolex as a brand is not really as strong and unassailable as they say it is.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 03:29 AM   #5
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Stop making TT DJ36 and make the good stuff rolex.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 03:30 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 04:14 AM   #7
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe_Fuz View Post
"How about no." - Rolex
Exactly.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:12 AM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From Rolex viewpoint, there will no longer be models that "don't move easy".

Slower selling models were caused in part by lazy sales staff who pushed casual shoppers towards SS sports models because it was low hanging fruit, meanwhile the general public shopper is a blank slate. They will buy anything ROLEX and their budget is higher than what the AD thought....ROLEX knew their brand was actually being undervalued at the AD level..so get the product mix more balanced and this "slow mover" problem will resolve itself..

The general public DOES NOT have the SS sport model hangup.
They will buy whatever the store has in stock and are doing so in volume now that the SS models crutch that AD staff historically leaned too heavily upon are diminished.

All this moaning about SS sports is a WIS issue and that viewpoint is not reflective of the overall market. Sure, it's an important part, but sales the the general public far exceed those to enthusiasts...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:16 AM   #9
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" - Rolex and your ADs
Old 5 September 2018, 05:16 AM   #10
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:28 AM   #11
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Slower selling models were caused in part by lazy sales staff who pushed casual shoppers towards SS sports models because it was low hanging fruit, meanwhile the general public shopper is a blank slate. They will buy anything ROLEX and their budget is higher than what the AD thought....ROLEX knew their brand was actually being undervalued at the AD level..so get the product mix more balanced and this "slow mover" problem will resolve itself..

They will buy whatever the store has in stock and are doing so in volume now that the SS models crutch that AD staff historically leaned too heavily upon are diminished.

All this moaning about SS sports is a WIS issue and that viewpoint is not reflective of the overall market. Sure, it's an important part, but sales the the general public far exceed those to enthusiasts...
Agree 100%

Datejusts are selling like hot cakes so I hear.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:28 AM   #12
j-watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK, BLRO, 16523
Quote:

Outstanding response!
j-watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:15 AM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Have you heard back from them yet on your proposal?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:22 AM   #14
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:

This is a fantastic post. I think the last part is especially true with regards to the ordinary public that walks into an AD because they "want a Rolex". Key word there is "Rolex" -- not a "Sub", "GMT", "Daytona", or "Date Just". Not saying all -- or even the overwhelming majority -- of purchasers are people who walk in and just buy from what's available on display, but plenty do.

Random example -- guy at my office wears a Milgauss Z-Blue. Randomly one day while we're talking in the kitchen I compliment him on his watch. Before going into anything specific about the Milgauss line, he made it clear he just decided he wanted a Rolex one day, went to the AD down the street, and just picked out the one he liked the most in the display case.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:23 AM   #15
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes agree - also throw in some more PM sales and it’s probably a rather accurate picture.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:25 AM   #16
bp1000
"TRF" Member

It’s always been about the dj - has been since the 60s

Especially in Asia

You may think windows full of dj are not moving but it’s what the general buyer wants.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:29 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I have very few conversations about watches outside this forum. On the rare occasions that Rolex has come up, or one has been shown off to me, it's been an OP or DJ. Usually TT or PM. These are the kind of models that "normal" people seem to want. Fleetlord has nailed it perfectly.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 07:22 AM   #18
rolexafficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 16610
They should I think at some point address the shortage of SS Sports models if they truly value their customers. Walking into a store here in London and asking for an SS Sub or SS GMT is like asking for water in a desert. Salesman look at you in wonder and make you feel like you have to be in a elite list of customers to actually want an SS sports model. Its just a watch at the end of day made to look out of reach just because the supply chain isn't responding. Was so much easier to buy either just a few years ago.
rolexafficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 08:57 AM   #19
Esoteric
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best response I ever heard on this subject!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:28 AM   #20
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

Really?

are you an AD salesman?

I was speaking with a few ole' timer AD salesman at a few local stores and was curious if they were turning away many customers that were interested in professional series watches.

yes they said they are being forced to push the ugly datejusts no one wants.

Both had said they'd turned away at least 100 customers since last year that were ready to buy a SS professional series watch. None of those wanted an ugly datejust. I dont' know if they were all WIS's, but it's probably reasonable to assume most were not.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:49 AM   #21
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:

Truth
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:51 AM   #22
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post

Really?

are you an AD salesman?

I was speaking with a few ole' timer AD salesman at a few local stores and was curious if they were turning away many customers that were interested in professional series watches.

Both had said they'd turned away at least 100 customers since last year that were ready to buy a SS professional series watch. None of those wanted an ugly datejust. I dont' know if they were all WIS's, but it's probably reasonable to assume most were not.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
The DJ is a classic beautiful Rolex watch, that to me, in 1994, when I bough my first Rolex, was the ONLY Eolex I could consider as the watch to buy.
Like me, to this day, many, many, outside of this forum still feel the same, although I too have evolved to the sports models being my favorite.
Old 5 September 2018, 09:53 AM   #23
HNIC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex collector
Quote:

Really?

are you an AD salesman?

How many of these customers were flippers or buyers hyped up from the shortage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:57 AM   #24
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really?

are you an AD salesman?

Yep.

And I'm not even an AD salesman! Wouldn't need to be to see what's happening...

I do business with lots of ADs and subsequently have visited lots of them, including some in TX. They all say essentially the same thing, once they dropped the crutches and started selling, they are surprised at what people are buying, including PM pieces...they can't believe how much gold they are selling.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 10:07 AM   #25
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep.

And I'm not even an AD salesman! Wouldn't need to be to see what's happening...

I do business with lots of ADs and subsequently have visited lots of them, including some in TX. They all say essentially the same thing, once they dropped the crutches and started selling, they are surprised at what people are buying, including PM pieces...they can't believe how much gold they are selling.
And exactly what Rolex is hoping for, where there are greater margins for all.
Old 5 September 2018, 10:18 AM   #26
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You’re one of the most knowledgeable posters on TRF. Always enjoy reading.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 10:25 AM   #27
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I have an easier solution. Don't buy them.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 10:35 AM   #28
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
As others have stated, superb post, Fleetlord. Very insightful. And as far as Rolex's business model goes, google the Scarcity Principle. The less of an object, the more people want it.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 10:44 AM   #29
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
So many salty people on here. I love it that you can't just walk in and buy particular models. Don't like it, go buy another watch. Plenty of other brands out there.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:01 AM   #30
WJGESQ
Banned

"Just buy our far less renowned Tudors for now"--Rolex.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote