The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2018, 05:13 PM   #31
Toe_Fuz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth..
Honestly kind of enjoy the hunt/scarcity makes the pay off so satisfying and its kind of nice not seeing a ton of BLROs, BLNRs, Daytonas, Sea Dwellers, and Sky Dwellers out there and on the wrists of those who "just wanted a Rolex". Just makes the one you own that much more special. If they were just sitting in cases waiting to be sold I am not sure if I would lose interest or if I'd just make many irresponsible decisions.
Toe_Fuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:35 PM   #32
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
So many salty people on here. I love it that you can't just walk in and buy particular models. Don't like it, go buy another watch. Plenty of other brands out there.
I agree. My worst nightmare is walking into an AD and seeing their cases brimming with stainless Daytonas, subs, GMTs. There would be nothing to complain about. I would completely lose interest.
cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:41 PM   #33
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
From Rolex viewpoint, there will no longer be models that "don't move easy".

Slower selling models were caused in part by lazy sales staff who pushed casual shoppers towards SS sports models because it was low hanging fruit, meanwhile the general public shopper is a blank slate. They will buy anything ROLEX and their budget is higher than what the AD thought....ROLEX knew their brand was actually being undervalued at the AD level..so get the product mix more balanced and this "slow mover" problem will resolve itself..

The general public DOES NOT have the SS sport model hangup.
They will buy whatever the store has in stock and are doing so in volume now that the SS models crutch that AD staff historically leaned too heavily upon are diminished.

All this moaning about SS sports is a WIS issue and that viewpoint is not reflective of the overall market. Sure, it's an important part, but sales the the general public far exceed those to enthusiasts...
This is right on point ... and very well put.

I live in an oil and gas city, SD/Subs/GMT's are so ten a penny here on rig workers wrists that the none watch buying public pay them any attention ... on the occasions i've worn my OP or back when I had my DJ, those were the watches that none watch buyers actually commented on, and those comments would be along the lines of buying one for a husbands big birthday/Christmas/anniversary, or the guys themselves stating they would love a Rolex like the OP or DJ and will get one one day once the kids leave home etc.

Every second post on forums is around the SS shortage and we have to accept that its purely WIS that are champing at the bit, nobody else cares ... in respect to the attention shifting to other brands, WIS will inevitably already have others in their collection, the general public, who have hankered for a Rolex for years and years will still go and try on what the AD has in stock and buy the watch they like on the day .... they dont tend to do months of homework and simply check out a couple of AD's that have Rolex in the window and make a purchase ... the majority of them wont look at PP/JLC/Hublot/RM and so on .... the price is laughable to them, as for joining forums and taking part in discussions about watches .... that would never even cross their minds, they just bought a watch, its not a lifestyle choice at the end of the day.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:02 PM   #34
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
how about void the warranty for watches thats not purchased directly from an AD.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:04 PM   #35
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Rolex will continue on pushing harder on the higher profit margin DJ/TT/PM and cutting back lower profit margin SS Sport. WIS is very small number of Rolex buyers that makes almost no difference to Rolex if you buy another watch from them or not.

Rolex doesn't sell you your SS sport watch does not mean that you have to give up buying more watch or give up your watch hobby, there're other awesome fish out there in the ocean.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:35 PM   #36
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
It’s always been about the dj - has been since the 60s

Especially in Asia

You may think windows full of dj are not moving but it’s what the general buyer wants.
If the DJ's are such fast movers, why do ADs try to bundle up SS sports models with DJs these days?
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 09:34 AM   #37
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Yep.

And I'm not even an AD salesman! Wouldn't need to be to see what's happening...

I do business with lots of ADs and subsequently have visited lots of them, including some in TX. They all say essentially the same thing, once they dropped the crutches and started selling, they are surprised at what people are buying, including PM pieces...they can't believe how much gold they are selling.
Yeah, I believe it.

Tons of profit margin on just 1 precious metal piece for sure.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 10:01 AM   #38
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Slower selling models were caused in part by lazy sales staff who pushed casual shoppers towards SS sports models because it was low hanging fruit, meanwhile the general public shopper is a blank slate. They will buy anything ROLEX and their budget is higher than what the AD thought....ROLEX knew their brand was actually being undervalued at the AD level..so get the product mix more balanced and this "slow mover" problem will resolve itself..

They will buy whatever the store has in stock and are doing so in volume now that the SS models crutch that AD staff historically leaned too heavily upon are diminished.

All this moaning about SS sports is a WIS issue and that viewpoint is not reflective of the overall market. Sure, it's an important part, but sales the the general public far exceed those to enthusiasts...
Excellent synopsis. This should be auto-posted to any stainless steel sport watch availability thread.
Old 6 September 2018, 08:28 PM   #39
R G
Banned

Easy Solution for SS Shortage

Quote:

In my experience the ‘average man’ doesn’t just say Rolex anymore, he says Rolex Submariner or Rolex Daytona.

I’m not disagreeing that AD staff are lazy and have offered the easy sellers, but I think that the SS sports range hype is not exclusive to the WIS community anymore.

Rolex as a brand has hit headlines/media hard in recent years, and not always for the right reasons, and more and more people are familiar with the range. Your average Joe who likes a ‘nice watch’ will refer to the sports models nowadays.

Anyways, SS sports models aside, almost anything in SS is pretty rare at the moment. You might see the odd DJ36 or a Milgauss, maybe an Airking, but it’s pretty slim picking for SS.

Even new DJ41’s are slim pickings currently, certainly around London and the south anyway.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 11:30 PM   #40
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:

Agree.
My colleague, Chinese, knows only Datejust and Day Date. When i mentioned the value difference between Datejust, PM models, and SS sport models, he was surprised. He paid full price for his SS Datejust a couple of years ago.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 12:25 AM   #41
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I dissent. I have talked with 3 or 4 ADs in the last couple of weeks. One told me he has a friend at another AD in a larger city that has a verified waiting list of 23 for a Sub Date - 23, for a Sub, that's ridiculous in so many ways. I don't think that helps the brand even a little bit. We are talking about SS tool watch. A brand that doesn't have product to sell is nothing more than a post card. As for the whole manipulated scarcity to then drive up pricing, it's already, in the grand scheme of things, way over priced as is. How many Subs are going to sell at $12K or $15K?

I do agree 100% that most salespeople are lazy. But trying to convince someone that wants a Sub that this really nice TT Datejust is just the thing for them is no small feat. Now, I also acknowledge that there are many buyers that don't know or care and just want a Rolex, any will do. But again, in talking with some contacts at these AD previously mentioned, they have plenty of unsold "less desirable" pieces in their cases. One claimed that he figures they have lost $200K in sales over the last year, by not having requested pieces. As with many other vertical markets, the internet makes for more informed buyers. I think the guy who worked his ass for for 40 yrs and wants any ole' Rolex, and doesn't know or care, is long gone. Instant info these days makes for a more particular buyer (IMHO).

My preferred AD just told me that they finally received a forecast from their rep on what allocated pieces they will get by the end of they year. He said they haven't seen that in years. That is not to say they are getting a lot, but at least they know whats coming and how or who to sell.

I think this whole shortage is not a strategy at all and just way too conservative forecasting over a year ago.

I, for one, am most displeased and find the whole shortage thing silly.

E-
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 12:40 AM   #42
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
The general public is definitely becoming more aware of Rolex sports models. I'm now hearing people say, "I've always wanted a Submariner," and I've known three non-watch people go out and pick them up recently (all used, interestingly).

I also think that as younger people mature and get their first "big boy" jobs, they are more likely to go for the sport models than the blingy classic PM models. It's a combination of being more under-the-radar, they appear more robust and in-line with an active lifestyle, and they don't want to look like their car and insurance salesmen parents with their Datejusts and Daydates.
Old 7 September 2018, 03:02 AM   #43
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
Stop making TT DJ36 and make the good stuff rolex.
HA! Agreed.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 03:44 AM   #44
c.rod
"TRF" Member

First thing that comes to mind is Dr. Evil (Rolex) saying

“Zip it”.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 04:22 AM   #45
dave_r
"TRF" Member

What’s wrong with wanting a TT datejust?
dave_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 04:29 AM   #46
thegents
Banned

just get the once you like when they are available... loads of persons still buys those models you don't like.
thegents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 06:29 AM   #47
R!$
Banned

dont fix what ain't broke
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 10:02 AM   #48
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe_Fuz View Post
Honestly kind of enjoy the hunt/scarcity makes the pay off so satisfying and its kind of nice not seeing a ton of BLROs, BLNRs, Daytonas, Sea Dwellers, and Sky Dwellers out there and on the wrists of those who "just wanted a Rolex". Just makes the one you own that much more special. If they were just sitting in cases waiting to be sold I am not sure if I would lose interest or if I'd just make many irresponsible decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I agree. My worst nightmare is walking into an AD and seeing their cases brimming with stainless Daytonas, subs, GMTs. There would be nothing to complain about. I would completely lose interest.
I too prefer the fact that some of these watches are harder to attain as the hunt is a large part of the fun!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote