The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2018, 04:04 AM   #1
ink3027
"TRF" Member

INCOMING - Back to where it all started, and some lessons learned

I apologize in advance for the long post and if my rambling becomes too much.

The first Rolex I ever purchased was a 14060M 2-liner. I loved that watch and everything it stood for -- the simplicity of the dial, durability, versatility, history, one of the last of the "tool watch" era of Rolex, the kinship to the 5513, and so much more. Foolishly, I sold it after only a couple of months. It was at no fault of the watch. I got caught up in "the bug" and was seduced by so many other Rolex options, like a kid in a candy store with no one to say no.

In the past year, I've been through more watches than I care to admit or remember. Not to make a profit, I'm surely down overall, but for the thrill of the chase and of being able to at least test drive the latest and greatest. I got caught up in the notion that the next watch would be "the one", that perfect watch that would cure me of the insatiable desire for the next timepiece. As we all know, that rarely happens.

During this period, I began to feel like I was missing the point of this wonderful hobby altogether. Instead of enjoying wearing the watches, I was more driven by chasing the next target. I'd get a new one, enjoy it for a couple of days, then be right back on the hunt for the next one. It finally became clear to me that I had a classic case of "the grass is always greener". I need to learn to be content and enjoy the present.

With that as context, I'm going back to where it all started. Below is my recently acquired 14060M P-serial. I was lucky enough to get this one (full set) from a TRF trusted seller (and a good friend) in beautiful condition. If you're going to be a "one watch" guy, it's hard to think of a better, more durable, more versatile piece than a Sub. I want to wear it, enjoy it, take it on adventures, and most of all not be looking to part with it after just days or weeks. And last but not least, I'm going to learn to be content.

With that said, I'm going to be staying off TRF for a while -- which is a reflection on me, not on this wonderful place. It's difficult for me to maintain an interest in watches without wanting to jump back into "chase mode". Until then, I want to take some time away, enjoy this watch, and see if maybe one day I can visit this forum without feeling the urge. I want to thank everyone on here tremendously for all of the knowledge shared, helpful tips, and most of all general friendly nature. This place is a gem, a rare find on the internet from my experience. To everyone that has taken the time to answer my threads, questions, and PM's, thank you so much.

And even though she doesn't visit this website, I need to mention how great my wife has been through everything. 100% supportive the entire time, even though I'm sure she was tired of the constant game.

Thank you again to everyone. Y'all are great.

Cheers guys

ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 04:08 AM   #2
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Great watch and story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 04:11 AM   #3
T01
"TRF" Member

Great pick.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 04:17 AM   #4
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Nice! Congrats!

The thing I notice about watch is it's somehow like gambling, after while it's no longer about winning or flipping a watch for profit but the thrill of winning or thrill of hunting watches. People are flipping watches just for the shake of hunting new ones. I do mountain biking/4wheeling/motorcycling for cheap thrill so I don't continuously buying and selling watches.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 04:29 AM   #5
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Thanks for sharing this today, it seriously hits home with me personally. Good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 04:34 AM   #6
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Wow does this post resonate with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
I apologize in advance for the long post and if my rambling becomes too much.

The first Rolex I ever purchased was a 14060M 2-liner. I loved that watch and everything it stood for -- the simplicity of the dial, durability, versatility, history, one of the last of the "tool watch" era of Rolex, the kinship to the 5513, and so much more. Foolishly, I sold it after only a couple of months. It was at no fault of the watch. I got caught up in "the bug" and was seduced by so many other Rolex options, like a kid in a candy store with no one to say no.

In the past year, I've been through more watches than I care to admit or remember. Not to make a profit, I'm surely down overall, but for the thrill of the chase and of being able to at least test drive the latest and greatest. I got caught up in the notion that the next watch would be "the one", that perfect watch that would cure me of the insatiable desire for the next timepiece. As we all know, that rarely happens.

During this period, I began to feel like I was missing the point of this wonderful hobby altogether. Instead of enjoying wearing the watches, I was more driven by chasing the next target. I'd get a new one, enjoy it for a couple of days, then be right back on the hunt for the next one. It finally became clear to me that I had a classic case of "the grass is always greener". I need to learn to be content and enjoy the present.

With that as context, I'm going back to where it all started. Below is my recently acquired 14060M P-serial. I was lucky enough to get this one (full set) from a TRF trusted seller (and a good friend) in beautiful condition. If you're going to be a "one watch" guy, it's hard to think of a better, more durable, more versatile piece than a Sub. I want to wear it, enjoy it, take it on adventures, and most of all not be looking to part with it after just days or weeks. And last but not least, I'm going to learn to be content.

With that said, I'm going to be staying off TRF for a while -- which is a reflection on me, not on this wonderful place. It's difficult for me to maintain an interest in watches without wanting to jump back into "chase mode". Until then, I want to take some time away, enjoy this watch, and see if maybe one day I can visit this forum without feeling the urge. I want to thank everyone on here tremendously for all of the knowledge shared, helpful tips, and most of all general friendly nature. This place is a gem, a rare find on the internet from my experience. To everyone that has taken the time to answer my threads, questions, and PM's, thank you so much.

And even though she doesn't visit this website, I need to mention how great my wife has been through everything. 100% supportive the entire time, even though I'm sure she was tired of the constant game.

Thank you again to everyone. Y'all are great.

Cheers guys

Just finished making the same trip around 30 minutes ago. For me it is the TT Blue Sub (got my 3rd one a few minutes ago after around 70 watches over the years). Congratulations on your beautiful watch, and enjoy it in all your pursuits. Wear it in good health.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 04:40 AM   #7
DanielWill
Banned

Beautiful story and beautiful watch, congrats bud
DanielWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:35 AM   #8
kk888
"TRF" Member

Been there, done that. Have a great time off!
kk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:39 AM   #9
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

That's a great choice to stick with! Don't let it go again! I've certainly been there before and am pretty much content with my big 4 that I currently have. I understand the chase beginning days after getting a new piece though....
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:39 AM   #10
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Congrats! That looks like a perfect example, and should certainly keep you content. I think many of us (myself included obviously) can relate to your story. I've enjoyed reading your posts, and hope to see you around here again in the future, when you're ready.

Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:39 AM   #11
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Some would say that is the nicest watch Rolex ever made. Congratulations. Stop the "constant game". Just enjoy your watch.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:48 AM   #12
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
I do mountain biking/4wheeling/motorcycling for cheap thrill so I don't continuously buying and selling watches.
LOL mountain biking can be a strain on the wallet too with ever evolving ‘standards’...

27.5” vs 29” wheels
Boost hub spacing
1x12 drivetrains
Forward geometry
etc etc
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:09 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The 2-liner is an all time classic. Everyone has their journey in any hobby. It's all about the journey and never about just the destination.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:09 AM   #14
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Totally agree, I have been hunting one for this exact reason. I think the 14060M 2-liner is as good as it gets. I am not a huge fan of the new submariner cases. Have a good rest, we will see you when you get back!
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:10 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Congrats OP!

I do remember seeing a couple of incoming threads from you.

I hope all goes well
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:19 AM   #16
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I still say that that’s the best looking Sub of them all.
Congrats to you OP and looking forward to your return.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:19 AM   #17
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Congrats! Beautiful!
Old 6 September 2018, 06:24 AM   #18
2024 Pledge Member

The "grass is always greener" adage is so true. Simplicity in a 14060M is hard to beat.

Congrats!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:30 AM   #19
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Congrats OP on getting back the piece that started the whole ride. It’s a timeless piece. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Hope you wear it for a long time to come. I understand your post and have been tempted to stay away from the forum as well. However I don’t flip. Just keep adding. Last piece was the Explorer 214270 a couple months ago. At the moment I think I’m good cos I like to make sure I wear my watches as opposed to just collecting. And with 6, I’m managing to rotate them randomly, but just barely. For now I still visit the forum daily but just to browse mostly gaining more and more info and reading interesting posts like yours.

As you mentioned this is really a great place. I’m happy I’ve found this place. But a part of me (my account balance) doesn’t agree. Anyways hope to see you back here again soon. All the best bro!
Old 6 September 2018, 06:39 AM   #20
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
Its a great watch! Simplicity is the key. Can't blame you. =)
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 07:09 AM   #21
Meridianum
"TRF" Member

Excellent watch. I have the 114060 but I appreciate the classic look and cleaner dial of the earlier references.
Meridianum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 07:27 AM   #22
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 01:06 PM   #23
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

What a beaut. Congrats!
Old 6 September 2018, 01:13 PM   #24
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
See you tomorrow.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 01:33 PM   #25
Tigger
"TRF" Member

That's a great watch, and I know exactly what you mean.

I bought my first Rolex - a Sub date - in 1980. I threw away the box and papers, put it on my wrist and barely took it off for 15 years. Then for some reason I sold it. Over the last 10 years I have bought - and sold - several watches, but my collection never really felt complete. Last month I got the urge to replace the Sub and bought a M-serial (with box and papers which I shall keep this time). I love the watch and because I can wear it anywhere it completes and validates the rest of the collection.

It seems that once you have had a Sub there will always be a Sub-shaped hole in your life that nothing else will fill!
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:32 PM   #26
maylebox
"TRF" Member

Excellent post thanks for sharing. Enjoy your time away and enjoy the 14060. You couldn't have picked a better solo companion for life's daily adventures.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:55 PM   #27
hx_ONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Others
enjoy the watch!
ROLEX SUBMARINER DATE (116610LV) * ROLEX EXPLORER II (216570) * OFFICINE PANERAI LUMINOR 1950 3 DAYS POWER RESERVE ACCIAIO - 47MM (PAM00423) * BREITLING SUPEROCEAN HÉRITAGE 46 (A1732016) * ORIS AQUIS DATE (733 7653 41 55) * TAG HEUER GRAND CARERRA CALIBRE 17 RS (CAV511A.FC6225)

hx_ONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 05:58 PM   #28
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
That's a great watch, and I know exactly what you mean.

I bought my first Rolex - a Sub date - in 1980. I threw away the box and papers, put it on my wrist and barely took it off for 15 years. Then for some reason I sold it. Over the last 10 years I have bought - and sold - several watches, but my collection never really felt complete. Last month I got the urge to replace the Sub and bought a M-serial (with box and papers which I shall keep this time). I love the watch and because I can wear it anywhere it completes and validates the rest of the collection.

It seems that once you have had a Sub there will always be a Sub-shaped hole in your life that nothing else will fill!
I bought my first Rolex, a Sub date, in 1980. I threw away the box and papers and extra links, put it on my wrist and barely took it off until 2002 when I knocked the bezel off and lost it. Fortunately, the watch was so beat up that I assumed it was worthless and chucked it in a drawer and bought a used Sea Dweller. In 2007 I had my Sub 1680 serviced, which cost more than I paid for the watch originally, and haven't worn it since.
Enjoy beating the crap out of your new Sub.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:09 PM   #29
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
Nice story thanks for sharing. You have a classic sub hope it satisfies your itch !
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:35 PM   #30
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
I went through the same thing but over a period of years...great wife who put up with me while I went through watch after watch...settled in with my red sub which I would not have appreciated withou the journey. Now I will keep this and carefully add to my small collection...not sell or trade. So I totally understand and congratulations!
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote