The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2019, 11:26 PM   #31
ale70
"TRF" Member

I was told something similar from one of the saleswomen in Bucherer in Lugano, Switzerland this past April. No waiting list unless you're local. For us in NYC area is a big problem, since people are spending millions of dollars in jewelry in places like London Jewelers and those are the people who get the watches......
Old 22 August 2019, 11:29 PM   #32
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

Nope
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:30 PM   #33
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
I have never been asked for my ID at any AD when purchasing a watch. This sounds ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:30 PM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
The AD, where I am buying most of my Non-Rolex watches from over the phone/email insists that I am picking up any Rolex purchase in person in his store.

Not sure if it‘s Rolex policy or not, but I understand that he wants to cover all bases and close potential loopholes that could cause him losing his Rolex contract.
If I remember correctly, the contract with Rolex specifically states, that any deal, which is not done directly in the store violates the agreement and that includes internet sales and deals by email or by phone.
I wouldn't be surprised if its more to do with EU distance selling regulations than anything else - its just more hassle than the AD needs

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:36 PM   #35
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

That will be an AD or Chain requirement, not a Rolex requirement. They blame it on Rolex to stop you from attempting to challenging them.

In my AD yesterday, visiting their new custom built Rolex section, a bloke from Holland walked in looking for a SS Daytona. There is no law or rule or regulation which is legally enforceable in the UK to stop the SA from selling one there and then - if they had it in stock. Understandably, the conversation didn't go like that and was predictable.

My AD's new section is very, errr, Rolex. Rolex livery and branding very tastefully done. I spotted a small number of watches too, mostly DJs and DDs and three Clllinis, many with diamonds on them. I wonder if they are banned from selling these to tourists? Or is it just the SS models?

I must say, the display trays and cabinets looked very nice. Very tempting if you were interested in buying a beige blank or a cushion. Unencumbered by anything as vulgar as watches.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:46 PM   #36
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
I stopped by my AD today for a chat, and one of the topics the sales associate brought up were new Rolex regulations. Specifically, she said they had a certain geographical market that they were allowed to sell pieces to, and if they sold out of their market, they could lose their rights to Rolex. She explained this is why they must photo copy IDs along with the purchase, both to verify address and to see based on serial numbers who is flipping.

Has anyone recently heard anything similar from your AD?

and does rolex check on ADs flipping tp greys? can they sell to greys in their area no problem but not to outside ones?
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:47 PM   #37
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Total, 100% BS
Bought a watch from an out of state AD in July and he shipped it to me.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 12:30 AM   #38
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Wonder how this works in a market like Las Vegas where 97.5% of their customers are from out of the area.
Old 23 August 2019, 12:30 AM   #39
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I must say, the display trays and cabinets looked very nice. Very tempting if you were interested in buying a beige blank or a cushion. Unencumbered by anything as vulgar as watches.
Yes, who needs a watch when you can admire the virgin beauty of a haute manufacture display cabinet
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 12:37 AM   #40
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Yes, who needs a watch when you can admire the virgin beauty of a haute manufacture display cabinet
I'm not much of a Daytona fan but I must congratulate you on that watch in your Avatar. That's really nice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:33 AM   #41
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
and does rolex check on ADs flipping tp greys? can they sell to greys in their area no problem but not to outside ones?

The IDs were to start putting names with watch serial numbers. She made it sound like Rolex is going to try tracking serial numbers based on who purchased, blacklist those names if found flipping...how they find that out, who knows? Will Rolex start buying grey inventory to get the dealers flipping and revoke? Total speculation but that’s one way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:48 AM   #42
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Wonder how this works in a market like Las Vegas where 97.5% of their customers are from out of the area.
Vegas Rules Baby
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:54 AM   #43
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post

You mean, like this....IMG_1230.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:02 AM   #44
Fomenko
"TRF" Member

I bought my Submariner last May. This month I ordered a Datejust for my wife, which they got in two weeks, both at the same AD in Michigan. They took copies of my ID on both occasions.
Fomenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:07 AM   #45
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandWatch View Post
So, how could airport ADs operate? Sounds ludicrous ...
Good point

I live a thousand miles from my favorite ad...never been an issue
Old 23 August 2019, 06:09 AM   #46
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I was told the same thing by an out of state AD. I think it is for smaller market ADs.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:50 PM   #47
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I'm not much of a Daytona fan but I must congratulate you on that watch in your Avatar. That's really nice.
Thanks from a fellow member of the Polar Explorer II owners club
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:55 AM   #48
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I doubt Rolex cares very much. They don’t even have an online watch registration like the system being implemented by AP. That would be an easy way to have a database of clients who keep their watches, warranty, authenticity aid and a convenient way to report lost or stolen watches to Rolex.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 03:12 AM   #49
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
I stopped by my AD today for a chat, and one of the topics the sales associate brought up were new Rolex regulations. Specifically, she said they had a certain geographical market that they were allowed to sell pieces to, and if they sold out of their market, they could lose their rights to Rolex. She explained this is why they must photo copy IDs along with the purchase, both to verify address and to see based on serial numbers who is flipping.

I had to let Bucherer (London) photo my passport to buy an MG in 2018. Was told I’d never be able to sell the watch else the salesperson would lose her job.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 04:51 AM   #50
Gary.
"TRF" Member

I have a feeling that this is illegal within the EU.
I have a vague memory that, many years ago, prices of cars in the UK were higher than those on the continent and people were heading over to France to do their motor shopping until the manufacturers tried to nix it. Then there was a legal kerfuffle and the continental dealers were told that they couldn't block sales to EU members. The upshot was that UK prices fell into line with those in the rest of Europe.

Someone may remember all this more clearly than I do so I'm happy to be corrected.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 05:17 AM   #51
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
I had to let Bucherer (London) photo my passport to buy an MG in 2018. Was told I’d never be able to sell the watch else the salesperson would lose her job.
Haha - that is ridiculous. What does that have to do with the sales associate? Even if you were a established customer... if you decided you didn't like the watch it's not like they would take it back.

If they somehow found out you had repeated history of just buying and selling brand new pieces, it would make sense to distance themselves from you as a customer.. not take action against the sales associate.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 05:59 AM   #52
ITony
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ, WWW
Quote:

Generally photocopying IDs is not inherently illegal, especially if you give permission. But it could be, depending on what laws are in your state, patriot act etc. Hawaii, for example, has some guidelines that try to protect the consumer, but there are several conditions.

Your ID is a treasure trove of information for identity theft. Are you sure you can trust the person on the other side of the counter with your credit card number and ID?

There could be liability issues for a retailer if they improperly store your information...…however, it could negated if you give permission for the photocopying.
ITony is offline   Reply With Quote