The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2019, 11:55 AM   #1
NYCWATCHCREW
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Hulk
Arabic Dials

Does anyone have an idea on how many dealers are allocated Arabic Dial watches to sell? Do these dealers only get Arabic dials on the models that offer them or are they given a mix of both?

I am talking more specifically to the Platona and the DD in platinum.

All the best.

NYCWATCHCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:16 PM   #2
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

Arabic dial PM Rolex are very hard to come by, it may not seem that way when so many grey dealers have them in stock on Instagram but they are UAE/ Middle Eastern allocation only pieces. Dubai and other locations near laugh you out of the store (speaking from experience) when asking for an Arabic dial Platona.

The clients they have waiting on these elusive references are vast and full of wealth to tick the boxes needed for such pieces.

In respect of quantity out there and allocated would really be a guess.

Rwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
It certainly is a beautiful and rare timepiece.

I tried it on recently here in Saudi Arabia. A client had ordered it and then renegaded for some reason. I tried it on and asked if I could have buy it (and I'm classed as VIP) they said there was a waiting list of 30 and only 2 watches in country. All allocations would be individually vetted and allocated by the Sheik himself. The Sheik is the sole owner of the Rolex franchise here in Saudi. So to answer your question yes, very hard indeed and I suspect that all 30 in the que had to be VVIP status and high rollers....just to get in the que.

You can clearly see the Platinum hue on the 3 crowns.
I believe that the Arabic numbers on the dial are platinum too.
Price from the AD an eye watering 300,000 Saudi riyals or $79,999 USD.

close up.jpg

Close 2.jpg

close 3.jpg
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:32 PM   #4
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
i have hankered after the 228206 indo-arabic dial for a long time, and my AD has a connection in abu dhabi that could have acquired me one with an order and a wait. that said, i’ve since replaced this version as my grail with a new version and so it isn’t as pressing.

i’d echo the idea though that just being in dubai or saudi or qatar won’t be anywhere near enough to acquire one; in my case i could only be listed because of my ADs friendship with an AD in the middle east.

exquisite pieces all. and if you do acquire one please post an incoming!!

Old 24 August 2019, 01:42 AM   #5
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Likewise let us all know if you take this further.

I'm still considering joining the que myself.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Old 24 August 2019, 02:10 AM   #6
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Thank you for posting. Again, I learn something from TRF. I assumed that Arabic numerals were the ones used when communicating in "western" languages such as English. I like watches that feature them (such as retro Pilot watches) and know that is rare in a Rolex. So when I saw this post I was very keen to learn about a Daytona with Arabic numerals.

It did not occur to me (because even when in the KSA I had only been shown documents in English) that Arabic numerals could look so different from what I learned in arithmetic, but were called Arabic numbers. Thanks to the responses here, I looked this up and learned that while the critically important zero had been agreed upon since time immemorial, that the shape of the numbers did not coalesce until around 800 in Egypt, Bagdad and parts East and a century later in the West (such as in Al Andaluz). This revises my understanding from elementary school.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 06:22 AM   #7
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I thought the markers on platinum references were white gold. I could certainly be wrong though, and in any event, I expect that whatever the Sheik wants, ... the Sheik gets!

I know Day-Dates offer day wheels in 26 languages, and I’ve seen other brands with hour markers numbered in Thai or Japanese for example, but has Rolex ever offered number markers other than Roman, western-arabic, or Arabic?
miamiclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:38 PM   #8
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

I just checked with the AD the Arabic style numbers on the dial are indeed also platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
I thought the markers on platinum references were white gold. I could certainly be wrong though, and in any event, I expect that whatever the Sheik wants, ... the Sheik gets!

I know Day-Dates offer day wheels in 26 languages, and I’ve seen other brands with hour markers numbered in Thai or Japanese for example, but has Rolex ever offered number markers other than Roman, western-arabic, or Arabic?