The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 August 2019, 01:44 PM   #31
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Id wear it on its original bracelet
Old 23 August 2019, 01:48 PM   #32
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Wear it.

There’s no such thing as a stealth BigBaller.
Old 23 August 2019, 01:50 PM   #33
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

They should want to hire you based on your qualifications, skills, and competencies and whether you're a cultural fit. If a watch on your wrist is a deterrent for them, it's not the kind of place you want to work anyway. I left corporate for tech three years ago... yes, most people wear Apple watches or no watch at all but no one cares what you wear in general.
Old 23 August 2019, 01:53 PM   #34
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
I'd worry more about the jeans and sneakers. I'd wear the watch on its bracelet, some classic fit chinos, loafers or boat shoes and a nice shirt.
Old 23 August 2019, 01:57 PM   #35
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I spent some fun years in Silicon Valley during the bubble years. Then their casual attire was trend setting. But it had not at that time devolved to jeans and sneakers. But you are there now so you know best. Frankly I think sporting an Apple Watch would be much more in character, but also don't think anybody is going to notice and if they do it would not have an ounce of weight on whether or not you get the job.
Old 23 August 2019, 02:04 PM   #36
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog4063 View Post
I would think more about the clothes you are planning on wearing...jeans and white sneakers for a middle mgmt role?

The watch - 98% chance no one will notice and 2% chance it will be a wis who thinks its cool. Wear the watch.

That’s tech. You wear a suit to that interview you will not be getting a job. It’s not happening. It’s as much about being a cultural fit as it is being a good candidate for the role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 August 2019, 02:05 PM   #37
just1time
"TRF" Member

Except if by some stroke of luck your interviewer shares your rolex passion, it might be a little too much. I would skip it.
But in the event that he/she does share your passion, definitely gives you an edge over the other geeks : )
Old 23 August 2019, 02:06 PM   #38
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

I would be more worried about having dynamic, flowing conversation than what watch you are wearing. If it is a casual work environment, wear a g-shock. Nobody is going to fault you for wearing one, but some people might fault you for wearing a Rolex, even if it is without merit.

Old 23 August 2019, 02:12 PM   #39
Runny Eggs
"TRF" Member

This ain't it, chief. Interview attire should be conservative. Sure, you're "dressing" down a gold FU watch with a rubber strap, but you're also wearing a rubber strap. That's no good, either.

Wear something with a leather strap and less flash if you need a watch.
Old 23 August 2019, 02:17 PM   #40
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I’d wear a $30 Casio, don’t try too hard
Old 23 August 2019, 02:17 PM   #41
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Just wear it, don’t over think it. They might not even notice your watch or might be a WIS himself
Old 23 August 2019, 02:31 PM   #42
entendu
"TRF" Member

I've also been interviewing at notable tech companies. My usual interview watch is a Speedy on a leather nato because I know for that 0.01% chance the interviewer is a wis, we can talk about the watch -- it's a fairly inoffensive piece. Although once I wore my blue ETA black bay, and the interviewer was wearing the same in red. We geeked out over watches, which made me feel more comfortable! I also did well in the interviews and got an offer.

So, you do you. It's not a flex - everyone at a major tech company makes enough to buy a nice watch. Be true to yourself & find a company that likes you for it.
Old 23 August 2019, 02:33 PM   #43
ericinexile
"TRF" Member

Why on earth would anyone wear a luxury piece to an interview? I think Rolexes are neat works of classic craftsmanship with an interesting history. But they also can inspire polarizing feelings that speak volumes about the wearer. But the volumes that are spoken may be farthest possible from the true you. Its just that your watch came to the interview with all the stigma and hangups attached to such an outspoke sign of wealth. Unless you are interviewing at Morgan Stanley or at Rolex itself, leave the watch at home.
Old 23 August 2019, 02:37 PM   #44
Redadmiral2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 D-Blue
Tell the interviewer that if they give you the job they can have the Rolex
Old 23 August 2019, 02:54 PM   #45
MauiRolex
"TRF" Member

I'd wear it with the original bracelet if you have it. Good luck regardless!
Old 23 August 2019, 02:59 PM   #46
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Let's hope the interviewers don't find out that you have been onto an Internet forum asking a load of strangers from around the world whether you should actually wear a watch for their interview.

Does the job spec require a high level of independent thought and decision making?

Do whatever you think is right. It's not the sort of thing to go asking randoms on Internet forums imo.

Good luck regardless.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:45 PM   #47
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runny Eggs View Post
This ain't it, chief. Interview attire should be conservative. Sure, you're "dressing" down a gold FU watch with a rubber strap, but you're also wearing a rubber strap. That's no good, either.

Wear something with a leather strap and less flash if you need a watch.
Exactly!
Old 23 August 2019, 03:49 PM   #48
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinexile View Post
Why on earth would anyone wear a luxury piece to an interview? I think Rolexes are neat works of classic craftsmanship with an interesting history. But they also can inspire polarizing feelings that speak volumes about the wearer. But the volumes that are spoken may be farthest possible from the true you. Its just that your watch came to the interview with all the stigma and hangups attached to such an outspoke sign of wealth. Unless you are interviewing at Morgan Stanley or at Rolex itself, leave the watch at home.
Even better....this! More than once i have heard people randomly make derogatory remarks about the brand and the people who where them. Why take the chance your interviewer could feel that way.

T
Old 23 August 2019, 04:06 PM   #49
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
ZERO upside to wearing the watch.
Old 23 August 2019, 04:09 PM   #50
grimlock525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Capt. View Post
Even better....this! More than once i have heard people randomly make derogatory remarks about the brand and the people who where them. Why take the chance your interviewer could feel that way.

T
A valid point, especially because people can be susceptible to these feelings on a subconscious level.

Having said that, good talent is hard to find in tech. If you can demonstrate that you are creme de la creme and are a good fit personality-wise, you could be rocking a rainbow daytona and I'd still be welcoming you with open arms .
Old 23 August 2019, 04:09 PM   #51
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Blue rubber band to me is a no for job interview
Old 23 August 2019, 04:20 PM   #52
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

I would and do, I always wear a watch to work or to a new job interview however i wear my watch completely under the cuff. You would have to have x-ray vision to see mine lol
Old 23 August 2019, 04:25 PM   #53
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't give you the job For taking it off the beautiful oyster bracelet and putting it onto a rubber one

Its a difficult one in seriousness....id definitely weat a ss sub or similar but gold id a little flashy for some....you could hid it under cuff untill you get a feel for the situation and see what he/she is wearing maybe letting it slip out after that
Old 23 August 2019, 04:27 PM   #54
Mr Perfect
Banned

Watch: IC Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadmiral2 View Post
Tell the interviewer that if they give you the job they can have the Rolex
Old 23 August 2019, 04:31 PM   #55
Clasper
"TRF" Member

Hi just wear it with confidence and don't worry about it.

Old 23 August 2019, 04:33 PM   #56
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
No
Old 23 August 2019, 04:37 PM   #57
bp1000
"TRF" Member

If you can’t be yourself, what’s the point
Old 23 August 2019, 04:46 PM   #58
jhl0415
"TRF" Member

I don't really see what the negative aspects here would be. Most people that have a that would give someone flak for wearing a rolex would probably not even be able to recognize one unless they were intently staring at the your wrist (which is not the case for the average person). On the opposite, if your interviewer is into watches it could benefit you.
Old 23 August 2019, 04:48 PM   #59
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Wear the watch. Be you. I work in tech and interview candidates all the time; no one cares about what’s on your wrist. You’re only depriving yourself by taking it off. Good luck with the interview!
Old 23 August 2019, 04:56 PM   #60
AnakChan
"TRF" Member

I see a lot of folks who say they’ve worked in tech here, and I fall into that sector too (fintech). In the former firm I used to work in, I was known as “the watch guy” and folks would ask my thoughts or advice.

There, I was also a hiring manager for my team for a good decade or more. If I see a candidate wearing a fancy Rolex, my first thoughts would be he’s going to be hard to negotiate on a package and he’s not going in the interview with humility. Once he’s hired though, well he’s got the job - he can wear whatever he wants.

Mind you, on the other side of the coin, if I were to reject a candidate due to him wearing a Rolex too, I’d be in trouble with HR :p. i.e. basically it’s unspoken and would be explained/described in some other way.

I’m not saying the above is right or wrong, but just giving an insight on how a potential hiring manager may think. Just depends on how much you want the job.
Closed Thread