The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 February 2019, 02:32 AM   #1
emtee
"TRF" Member

Need advice on which model

So I’m seriously considering getting a Panerai. I’ve narrowed it down to the following configuration but need some help with model number suggestions as I’m frankly very confused with the number of options available.

Basically ideally I want the following:

Base style so simple face, no date
44mm Max
Display back
Ideally sandwich dial
Rubber strap or at least the option of getting one

I want to go pre owned but not too old or go grey as don’t wanna lose 30% as soon as I leave the AD. My budget is between 3-4K GBP

Models I’m currently considering are:

PAM112
PAM176
PAM562 - realise this is new and a little over budget but looks sweet!

If anyone could help me out with suggestions/advice on what to get around this criteria would be greatly appreciated.

I previously had a 392 which was great but a little thick and I sold it to fund another watch. I love the Panerai look and really fancy getting something classic looking. Cheers :)
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 04:34 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

I’d say you’re on the right track. The Bettarini case models wear thinner than the 1950 autos.

You could also consider a 000 (not sandwich, but classic base), or a 212, which wears smaller due to the wire lugs and is a classic base PAM.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 05:04 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
here is what i learned when i was you,

sandwich dial looks better on the 45 Rads.

44 luminor is all about that sausage dial.

solid case back over the ETA movement is ideal.

as Cru said you are on the right track.

would add you might consider 111

as well you might consider the 590 (8 day), it is a modern piece and prices are soft but it is a solid watch.

curious to know what Cru thinks of the 590???
Old 10 February 2019, 06:04 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

curious to know what Cru thinks of the 590???
I can answer that.

Of the 8-day Bettarinis, the 590 and 564 are my favorites.

I really like how the 590 doesn’t have “8 DAYS” on the dial, but I find that there is a bit too much of dead space around the 3 o’clock space for me. Just feels a tad empty to me.

As for the 564, I think the Ti + brown dial + balance of the dial is really nice, and almost makes up for the “8 DAYS”.

No real rhyme or reason.... just what I feel. :-)

By the way, I’m 100% with you on sandwich for Rad, sausage for Luminor.
Old 10 February 2019, 01:05 PM   #5
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve been seriously looking at the 590 as well. Really love the dial symmetry. I imagine it’s not as thick as the 233?
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 05:17 PM   #6
emtee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have to get myself to an AD to try a few. Going to Florence in a week so I’m hoping this will be a good place to do it :)
Old 10 February 2019, 11:23 PM   #7
emtee
"TRF" Member

So after much research I’m pretty sure I want either 562 or 564. It all depends on whether I can pull off the 44mm case size without it looking silly.

Does anyone know how thick these watches are? Couldn’t find much info on that.
Old 11 February 2019, 12:46 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I can answer that.

Of the 8-day Bettarinis, the 590 and 564 are my favorites.

I really like how the 590 doesn’t have “8 DAYS” on the dial, but I find that there is a bit too much of dead space around the 3 o’clock space for me. Just feels a tad empty to me.

As for the 564, I think the Ti + brown dial + balance of the dial is really nice, and almost makes up for the “8 DAYS”.

No real rhyme or reason.... just what I feel. :-)

By the way, I’m 100% with you on sandwich for Rad, sausage for Luminor.
Thanks Cru
Old 22 February 2019, 08:30 PM   #9
emtee
"TRF" Member

So I tried a few watches at the Panerai boutique in Florence. I was pretty sure beforehand the 564 would be the one but they threw a curveball with the 797.

I’m still leaning towards the 574 but does anyone have any experience with the 797?

Which would you choose and why?
Old 22 February 2019, 08:37 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

797 is like the 564, but with ecru lume and a PR indicator. Up to you which you prefer (and if you are okay with 3 very different style hands on one dial).

Personally, I think the ecru lume & brown dial might look a little better with steel, so, I would want to first look at the 795 before taking the 797.

Old 22 February 2019, 09:05 PM   #11
emtee
"TRF" Member

Thanks.

I definitely want to go Ti due to the lightness. The 797 looked great in person and I liked the slightly quirky dial layout. The main downside is it’s significantly more expensive on the GM than the 564. My original budget has gone up quite a bit from my original plan of a relatively cheap fun weekend watch!

I’ve reached out to a couple of trusted sellers so will see what happens
Old 22 February 2019, 10:43 PM   #12
BIGPOCKETS
"TRF" Member

Hey mate. I’ve a 422 have owned it for years & love it.
From my research there are a few “truths” (which also sync with what you’re after).
PANERAI should have: Sandwhich dial, exhibition back, LUMINOR or RADIOMIR case (47mm for me).

At 44mm you have so many options & I understand that it can be confusing which is why you need to be so careful with PANERAI.....you won’t stop at one!!
The trio of 795, 796, 797 are awesome in person & the colour combo of the 797 is really, really nice. The strap colour is fantastic...pwr reserve is very cool. Can’t go wrong with it as your first if you can stretch your budget.
Some of the older ETA powered LUMINORs are great value, if you’re willing to spend a few $s having the case freshened up, you’ll have basically a new watch...111G series is classic - embossed movement bridges , really sweet. Check out this review on it....good luck !

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=1770424&rid=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGPOCKETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:34 PM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Thanks.

I definitely want to go Ti due to the lightness. The 797 looked great in person and I liked the slightly quirky dial layout. The main downside is it’s significantly more expensive on the GM than the 564. My original budget has gone up quite a bit from my original plan of a relatively cheap fun weekend watch!

I’ve reached out to a couple of trusted sellers so will see what happens

Awesome! Good luck!

I happen to really like the PR and much prefer it to “8 DAYS” on the dial.

Looking forward to pics! :-)
Old 23 February 2019, 01:14 AM   #14
emtee
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
Old 23 February 2019, 04:15 AM   #15
emtee
"TRF" Member

This decision is so hard! I’ve had some good communication with a UK seller and decided to discount the 797 as it’s more than I want to spend on this particular purchase. But now I’m looking again at the 562 and wondering if I actually prefer the simpler dial with less text

I’m gonna get over to the Panerai boutique on Bond Street and see if I can try them both on before making my decision. All these slight variations are making this so hard but I wanna get it right. First world problems

Appreciate the advise :)
Old 23 February 2019, 04:32 AM   #16
synequano
Banned

Personally I’d go with simpler dial as my first panerai then probably go with front PR only if it’s really necessary (in my case,it’s pam 123 as the only automatic destro with smooth bezel)

But it’s my personal preference,OP might have different needs for his first Panerai
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 05:20 AM   #17
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I got a 176 as my first. I really like how light it is being made from titanium. The 562 is quite similar and I tried one at my AD before I pulled the trigger. The reason I went with a 176 was that I wanted a sandwich dial.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 02:13 AM   #18
emtee
"TRF" Member

So guys I made a decision and pulled the trigger on the 564!

Gonna be 1-2 weeks delivery time while the dealer sources the watch (went grey). I’d love to buy from an AD but a 25% saving is more than I’m willing to leave on the table.

Anyway thanks everyone for all your advice and I will of course post pics once I get it :)
Old 24 February 2019, 02:24 AM   #19
nick c
Banned

Congratulations. Well done!!
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 03:34 AM   #20
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 05:42 AM   #21
emtee
"TRF" Member

So my 564 is due for delivery tomorrow!

I’m super excited but is it ok if I post pics and ask you knowledgeable folk to help check it’s genuine? I have no reason to think otherwise as the seller has an excellent reputation but as it’s not coming from an AD I would like the peace of mind.

I’m already prepped with what to look out for but a 2nd opinion would be be welcomed
Old 2 March 2019, 03:43 AM   #22
emtee
"TRF" Member

Well the watch arrived and I’m extremely happy. Everything checks out. Stamped by an AD with my name in the booklet.

Quick pic I took earlier

Old 2 March 2019, 05:39 AM   #23
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Looks awesome! I like your transmission of choice as well :)

My 6MT say hello

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 05:48 AM   #24
lcandela7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos/Pam560/Spe
Looks damn good
lcandela7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 06:21 AM   #25
emtee
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. Super pleased with it. Looks a little big on the wrist in photos but actually IRL it’s much better.

Appreciate all the advice I was given and I know I definitely made the right choice now I have it on the wrist
Old 9 March 2019, 11:00 PM   #26
emtee
"TRF" Member

So she’s still ticking and keeping good time after 8 days! One thing I was surprised about and made me so paranoid that I called Panerai to confirm was the case back said this was x/300. Normally that would be limited edition which this is not and most regular models are 1000/2000/3000. They confirmed they only produced 300 of this model for 2018 U serial. I was relieved but also suprised it was such a low number.

Assuming they made this decision due to lack of demand (I guess the fact I was able to purchase from an AD via a grey for a big discount supports this). I actually quite like it as it means there’s way less of these out there.
Old 9 March 2019, 11:26 PM   #27
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So she’s still ticking and keeping good time after 8 days! One thing I was surprised about and made me so paranoid that I called Panerai to confirm was the case back said this was x/300. Normally that would be limited edition which this is not and most regular models are 1000/2000/3000. They confirmed they only produced 300 of this model for 2018 U serial. I was relieved but also suprised it was such a low number.

Assuming they made this decision due to lack of demand (I guess the fact I was able to purchase from an AD via a grey for a big discount supports this). I actually quite like it as it means there’s way less of these out there.
The best thing about Panerai is that there are very few out there compared with Rolex models made in the hundreds of thousands. Wear in good health.
Old 9 March 2019, 11:52 PM   #28
synequano
Banned

The serial/millestimation are common in all Panerai watches

In early pams,the number is a total production number of all alike models (I don’t even know how that works) but I know 23A and 29A share the same A xxx/1500 serial and my 111E have E xxx/3500 like 177E

I think they changed the system around 2004/2005 into serial/total production piece of this particular model for example my 177O is O xxx/700

That applies for all Panerai models whether it’s a regular or limited/special edition

The main different is,you got LE scroll and bigger box when you buy LE pam
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 12:29 AM   #29
TonyArbs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well the watch arrived and I’m extremely happy. Everything checks out. Stamped by an AD with my name in the booklet.

Quick pic I took earlier

Congratulations! Did you end up getting from the Boutique in Florence? I picked up my 564 there in early October. Great customer service. When I went in they also brought out all the titanium variants and I really had a hard time as well. In the end I went with the 564 over the one with the power reserve because I liked the open case back and I didn't like the pointy arrow on the PR hand. Hope you enjoy it!
TonyArbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 12:36 AM   #30
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
The serial/millestimation are common in all Panerai watches

In early pams,the number is a total production number of all alike models (I don’t even know how that works) but I know 23A and 29A share the same A xxx/1500 serial and my 111E have E xxx/3500 like 177E

I think they changed the system around 2004/2005 into serial/total production piece of this particular model for example my 177O is O xxx/700

That applies for all Panerai models whether it’s a regular or limited/special edition

The main different is,you got LE scroll and bigger box when you buy LE pam
Thanks I understand how the numbering system works I was just suprised that this particular model which is fairly entry level had such a small run for that year. I guess they’re not selling as many as they used to? When I had my 392 that was numbered out of 2000 and pics I’ve seen of the 564 from previous years were numbered out of 3000 so I actually thought it might be a misprint!