The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 April 2023, 06:43 AM   #1
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD.Daytona.SD.Subs
Rolex Boutique Experience! Unreal

So I am in the Market for an Explorer 2 White Dial Polar. I called the Rolex Boutique (Not an AD, a real Boutique according to manager 15 in USA) in Short Hills Mall, and was told they were not able to talk about current inventory over the phone. The manager John Sheridan stated that they had over 100 models on display, and did have stock. I said to him I am coming from 1 Hour and 15 minutes away and could you kindly as a courtesy let me know. He refused to answer me one way or another. Stating policy. After going back and forth a few times the guy gave this whole story about how it's the Rolex experience and this is how we handle sales. I kinda had a feeling after talking to him he had one on stock.....

So I make the trip and trudge 75 minutes and enter the store. The manager greets me, walks me over to a showcase and states right off the bat, the only watch I have is this Datejust with Salmon dial. I wanted to throw up! More in particular all over this guy. He then walks me over to the display of the Polar EX2 and shows me the piece. I stated to him I am here to buy, not gawk. He took my name and number on a card, and I left. This policy has to end! It's utterly ridiculous. At least tell me on the phone your wasting your time. No value for other peoples time and money.

I guess I'm back to the grey market, and the dealers that service this site. Patrick from OCWATCHGUY has 3 Polar's in stock, now has 2, and I ordered on and a fair price. Nothing crazy over list.
DarthSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 06:48 AM   #2
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

As long we buy and beg to be put it on the wait list the state of affairs will stay exactly the same.

Grey is the way for mortals, gods and flippers are getting first in the line

I feel you as I talked with our local ad many many times for many years with now avail but at least is 5 min drive from home
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 06:50 AM   #3
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Yep....sounds about right.
Old 11 April 2023, 06:54 AM   #4
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

It is very clear to me many of these Rolex watches are going out the back door and being re sold on the secondary market. It such a crock! Thank god the prices are coming down now somewhat. I have zero issue with grey market dealers. I own 5 pieces, and all are from Secondary market.
Old 11 April 2023, 07:05 AM   #5
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
So I am in the Market for an Explorer 2 White Dial Polar. I called the Rolex Boutique (Not an AD, a real Boutique according to manager 15 in USA) in Short Hills Mall, and was told they were not able to talk about current inventory over the phone. The manager John Sheridan stated that they had over 100 models on display, and did have stock. I said to him I am coming from 1 Hour and 15 minutes away and could you kindly as a courtesy let me know. He refused to answer me one way or another. Stating policy. After going back and forth a few times the guy gave this whole story about how it's the Rolex experience and this is how we handle sales. I kinda had a feeling after talking to him he had one on stock.....

So I make the trip and trudge 75 minutes and enter the store. The manager greets me, walks me over to a showcase and states right off the bat, the only watch I have is this Datejust with Salmon dial. I wanted to throw up! More in particular all over this guy. He then walks me over to the display of the Polar EX2 and shows me the piece. I stated to him I am here to buy, not gawk. He took my name and number on a card, and I left. This policy has to end! It's utterly ridiculous. At least tell me on the phone your wasting your time. No value for other peoples time and money.

I guess I'm back to the grey market, and the dealers that service this site. Patrick from OCWATCHGUY has 3 Polar's in stock, now has 2, and I ordered on and a fair price. Nothing crazy over list.
The AD games are never ending it seems. Congrats on your upcoming purchase. Patrick at OCWATCHGUY has been a great seller I’ve bought from a few times. He does have very fair prices as well.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:10 AM   #6
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

Patrick and David are both great! Patrick does have very competitive pricing. Ive done many deals with him.
Old 11 April 2023, 07:12 AM   #7
southtexas

Quote:
It is very clear to me many of these Rolex watches are going out the back door and being re sold on the secondary market. It such a crock! Thank god the prices are coming down now somewhat. I have zero issue with grey market dealers. I own 5 pieces, and all are from Secondary market.

Yep. I was in an AD not too long ago, being fed the usual line of BS about how and to whom these watches are “allocated”.

Unbeknownst to him, I know his back-channel flipper, who gets a majority of the sport models that come through that particular store. I started dropping subtle hints about stories in the marketplace of managers being “bought” with, for example, high end liquors. I then named the brand that this particular manager is being bought off with (by that I mean a vertical vintage library of high end, rare $$$$ stuff). That smug look was quickly replaced with confusion and a little fear. I could tell that he wasn’t sure if I knew or not.

I’m certain there are a few good apples left out there, but not sure how many. And yes, OP, I’d be pissed also to be baited into driving to the store.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:12 AM   #8
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
(Not an AD, a real Boutique according to manager 15 in USA)
First clue that the guy was full of $#!+. No such thing aside from a single store in Geneva. All are owned by ADs and are simply mono brand stores; in fact it says which (London) on the Rolex website.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:12 AM   #9
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

https://www.ocwatchguy.com/watch/rol...ii-226570/8922

The above is the one I landed on. Sept 2022 card! almost full warranty.... The AD's and Boutique's can keep their watches that they don't have!
Old 11 April 2023, 07:13 AM   #10
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I genuinely don’t believe that there are many, if any, ADs that “sell out the back door”.
At least not in the UK anyway.

They go to customers, a portion of who sell them on to dealers in the grey market. Just because you aren’t getting the watches doesn’t mean others aren’t.
Hulkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:14 AM   #11
messikens
"TRF" Member

Kudos and I fully agree - the games these days are insane...

I know they must get inundated with calls but requiring people to show up fully knowing they a) have nothing to sell or b) are just not willing to sell it to YOU is ridiculous.

At this point I much prefer the AP experience (and that's saying something) where it's a long wait and a lowlife like me may get a trinket that I actually want once every 2-3 years but at least when I show up they pretend to treat you like royalty and at least you get a watch with a much superior finish
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:16 AM   #12
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkhunter View Post
I genuinely don’t believe that there are many, if any, ADs that “sell out the back door”.
At least not in the UK anyway.

They go to customers, a portion of who sell them on to dealers in the grey market. Just because you aren’t getting the watches doesn’t mean others aren’t.

Huh? Obviously someone is getting them. That’s the point of the “back door”. Do you really believe that these salesmen/managers, knowing that the moment that watch leaves their store and the value goes up 2 or 3 or 4 times, aren’t getting in on that action? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:17 AM   #13
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

They all lie right to your face like it's nothing. Now you have no reason to ever think about them again.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:24 AM   #14
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
That is disappointing on the part of the AD

That manager could have easily leveled with you and said something along the lines of:

“seeing as you are 1+ hour away, I can’t reveal stock info but I can strongly suggest that you save your visit for a time when you are closer and it’s less of a hassle for you to drop in. We always love meeting new customers.”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:25 AM   #15
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Rolex and the AD's all know people will crawl across broken glass to get their hands on one of these watches, don't expect anything to change. It would have been very difficult to refrain from telling the manager not to go eff himself.

Thankfully I have tapped out of Rolex, and turned my attention to so many other great brands and models.

Hope you enjoy your new ExII
Old 11 April 2023, 07:29 AM   #16
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Huh? Obviously someone is getting them. That’s the point of the “back door”. Do you really believe that these salesmen/managers, knowing that the moment that watch leaves their store and the value goes up 2 or 3 or 4 times, aren’t getting in on that action? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Recently I was ridiculed when I suggested that watches showing up on gray dealers' websites the day they're introduced at Watches and Wonders is clear evidence the AD's are the big flippers.
Old 11 April 2023, 07:30 AM   #17
Harvey_D
"TRF" Member

"You will get nothing and like it"
-Rolex AD SA and Judge Smails
Harvey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:37 AM   #18
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
I am just in shock by how things have turned for these AD's. When I was in the Zurich airport last year, I went into the Rolex store and there were only exhibition models on display. I didn't even inquire about getting one because I knew the state of things now. It was before I got my current DJ, so I was eager to get one, but I didn't even waste my time. So frustrating! I wonder who the airport Rolex sells to since it's mainly tourists. Anybody know?
Old 11 April 2023, 07:40 AM   #19
wristwear
Banned

Not feeling your pain.
wristwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:49 AM   #20
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
First clue that the guy was full of $#!+. No such thing aside from a single store in Geneva. All are owned by ADs and are simply mono brand stores; in fact it says which (London) on the Rolex website.

I think the OP meant that it is just a stand-alone Rolex "store" (yes, still owned by an AD) but there are no other brands or jewelry to "bundle" with...

My local Rolex only "boutique" at the mall is owned by a jeweler 400+ miles away.
Old 11 April 2023, 08:03 AM   #21
rockysw
"TRF" Member

yes, I agree. This has to end, he could have told you what was available or not available on phone.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 08:27 AM   #22
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Driving 1 hour and 15 minutes is not the end of the world.
OP as a long time member should have known he was literally taken for a ride.

There is only one Rolex owned store and that one is in Geneva and they don’t sell anything to you or me either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex shop.jpg.jpg (192.7 KB, 2450 views)
Old 11 April 2023, 08:28 AM   #23
Flex Armstrong
"TRF" Member

Part of me wonders if the stories you hear from people complaining about AD's and never getting a call has to do with Rolex (and the AD) maintaining a certain type of customer for the brand and the people complaining don't match the brands ideal customer.

Also, these posts read like planted stories in order to point people to a grey dealer on this site as a sort of secret advertisement.
Flex Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 08:33 AM   #24
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

I’m regards to above post, I own 2 retail cigar shops and never ever profile a client. Ever . Never judge a book by its cover .
Also it wasn’t 1 hour and 15 minutes , it was also back home for another 1 hour and 15 minutes, the manager could have been more transparent and told me the real deal.

I had a Daydate with a gold sunburst dial and Factory Diamond �� on face when I went to store. He saw it. Commented on it. Didn’t matter
Old 11 April 2023, 08:35 AM   #25
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
You have to show up and be known to them... policy starting fall 2021 at my AD... and nothing on the first date. Maybe 2nd or 3rd.

The gawking part was where you fawn over the models and outline the long list of watches you're interested in... starting with explorer and ending with a PM piece or two before getting a GMT or Daytona.

If you're a one and done customer you're best to just go grey. Congrats on the polar

There are tons of watches in the back just not for you, YET.
Old 11 April 2023, 08:50 AM   #26
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy/BLNR
Quote:
I’m regards to above post, I own 2 retail cigar shops and never ever profile a client. Ever . Never judge a book by its cover .
Also it wasn’t 1 hour and 15 minutes , it was also back home for another 1 hour and 15 minutes, the manager could have been more transparent and told me the real deal.

I had a 40mm Daydate with a gold sunburst dial and Factory Diamond �� on face when I went to store. He saw it. Commented on it. Didn’t matter
I've had the same SA ask me on 2 different occasions if I'm a member of a country club. I replied "lady, they won't let me in a country club". Such nonsense. I've since bought a few things for my wife with another much more down to earth SA... but I'm still officially miss country clubs' customer... need to get that changed somehow(?).
BKScripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 08:53 AM   #27
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Armstrong View Post
Also, these posts read like planted stories in order to point people to a grey dealer on this site as a sort of secret advertisement.
This statement is almost as ridiculous as the current Rolex AD situation.
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 08:55 AM   #28
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
You have to show up and be known to them... policy starting fall 2021 at my AD... and nothing on the first date. Maybe 2nd or 3rd.

The gawking part was where you fawn over the models and outline the long list of watches you're interested in... starting with explorer and ending with a PM piece or two before getting a GMT or Daytona.

If you're a one and done customer you're best to just go grey. Congrats on the polar

There are tons of watches in the back just not for you, YET.

So basically this:

Old 11 April 2023, 09:00 AM   #29
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
So basically this:

Sort of. At step 6 wait a month then stop by and say hi again. Then wait a month and they'll call.
Old 11 April 2023, 09:01 AM   #30
aftercoffee
"TRF" Member

Out of all the ADs I've visited thus far in the tri-state area, the one in Short Hills mall was the absolute worst. It was the first AD I visited and almost made me swear off Rolex forever, lol...
aftercoffee is offline   Reply With Quote