The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 May 2020, 12:02 AM   #1
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Icon5 Parts supply?

I don't recall where I read it, but is it true that Rolex assures the availability of factory parts (dials, bracelets, etc.) for 50 years beyond a model's production?
dunajska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:11 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Have not found anything lately, but they used to publish that they continued to produce parts for 30 years after that part is discontinued. This would not have anything to do with a particular mode, just the actual parts that make up if's function.

It has never been about dials. When they drop a dial they quickly disappear from the Day Date and Datejust line; it is likely that you can still get dials for most models that they have made in the past 50 years on those that are basic black or white.

A couple of years back they made an announcement that they no longer kept supplies of 15xx movement parts and some of those parts were gone. Many suppliers, though, still make aftermarket parts for most Rolex movements
Old 30 May 2020, 01:59 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Have not found anything lately, but they used to publish that they continued to produce parts for 30 years after that part is discontinued. This would not have anything to do with a particular mode, just the actual parts that make up if's function.

It has never been about dials. When they drop a dial they quickly disappear from the Day Date and Datejust line; it is likely that you can still get dials for most models that they have made in the past 50 years on those that are basic black or white.

A couple of years back they made an announcement that they no longer kept supplies of 15xx movement parts and some of those parts were gone. Many suppliers, though, still make aftermarket parts for most Rolex movements
15×× parts are still being produced and supplied to RSC and AD watchmakers, in Europe. Don't know about the US though.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:19 AM   #4
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
15×× parts are still being produced and supplied to RSC and AD watchmakers, in Europe. Don't know about the US though.
Yes, I have noticed that too. No problem here in Sweden.

My guess is that Rolex USA, which is a separate entity, just has decided not to import parts for the 1500-series movements anymore.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:28 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Parts supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunajska View Post
I don't recall where I read it, but is it true that Rolex assures the availability of factory parts (dials, bracelets, etc.) for 50 years beyond a model's production?

No, Rolex doesn’t assure 50 years of parts support after a model is removed from production.

Profitable demand insures continued production for decades afterward. If the installed base continues to use RSC and/or watchmakers with parr’s accounts, then demand for those parts in enough to make continued availability profitable.

It’s the best way I know. So - ergo - Bas’ comment about 15xx parts availability in EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:31 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Yes, I have noticed that too. No problem here in Sweden.

My guess is that Rolex USA, which is a separate entity, just has decided not to import parts for the 1500-series movements anymore.

If RUSA’s RSC’s don’t get enough demand, then no need for non-performing inventory.

If I was an owner in USA and was told nothing available to repair my vintage model with a 15xx caliber, then I’d be shipping to Geneva or seeking a good US watchmaker who hordes NOS 15xx parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:42 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

There's just so many of them still around ticking perfectly, stopping parts supply would mean the end of a lot of them. Because once they're doing that the only way is the restoration department in Geneva and you can spend a good upwards of 10k CHF for a 'restoration'.

We sometimes send bubblebacks there and I've seen estimates of over 20k CHF, for a watch in pretty decent condition. I don't see a lot of vintage DateJust owners spending that on something that isn't worth it (except for emotional value).

And besides, it means they restore it to factory spec, so you won't be having any vintage looks...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 06:04 AM   #8
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
What about bracelets? I have an "A" series Yachtmaster (16622) and I'm curious if still possible to purchase a new 78760 bracelet. Cost?
dunajska is offline   Reply With Quote