The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 April 2020, 06:48 PM   #1
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
COVID Stranded Foreign Country..?

Anyone head off on vacation "OVERSEAS" somewhere and ended up being stranded and unable to return back home now..? Curfew Day 35 for us with airport closed and all flights cancelled UFN....
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 06:58 PM   #2
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Anyone head off on vacation "OVERSEAS" somewhere and ended up being stranded and unable to return back home now..? Curfew Day 35 for us with airport closed and all flights cancelled UFN....
Yes. My wife and I are "stuck" in Slovenia. Which, in all honesty, is ok with us. It's safer here than back home in DC.

How'd we get here? We've been traveling around Europe since mid-January. We entered Sloevnia, as was the plan, on March 1. A couple weeks later, Europe shut down. Poof, our flight home last week gets cancelled because the airports are shuttered. So we decided to stay for a while. No need to rush home to a mess in the USA. As of now, we're staying in Slovenia through July.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:00 PM   #3
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
We cancelled a trip to Peru, 2 days later they shut down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 12:37 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

My situation was not very drastic unlike yours in Sri Lanka but we were in Maui mid March and we could see the situation developing quickly. California locked down on the 15th, Hawaiians were getting fearful that tourists would bring in the virus and overwhelm their medical facilities, and although nothing physically changed, the vibe certainly did. We left on March 20th.

Maui/Hawaii relies on tourism, hotels and everyone would be laying people off. The island would basically shut down.

Now in Hawaii, there are some tourists who took advantage of cheap airfares and hotels, but there is no gathering on the beaches supposedly and 14 day self quarantining in hotels, which is not being adhered to, but you can go in the water for swimming/surfing etc. Residents of Hawaii are getting very prickly about tourists showing up, and have a lot of fear about contaminating the island and worry about their families and aging members of the population.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 12:45 AM   #5
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yeah, my wife and I left for Egypt March 10, supposed to return March 27! We made it home on the 1st of April! It looked bleak for a while, but squeaked out by the skin of our teeth.
Old 26 April 2020, 01:05 AM   #6
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
Yeah, my wife and I left for Egypt March 10, supposed to return March 27! We made it home on the 1st of April! It looked bleak for a while, but squeaked out by the skin of our teeth.
Was it harder to leave Egypt or to get back into Canada??

Canadians were leaving Hawaii in droves in middle March because of the threat of being quarantined once they returned home.
Old 26 April 2020, 02:24 AM   #7
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Was it harder to leave Egypt or to get back into Canada??

Canadians were leaving Hawaii in droves in middle March because of the threat of being quarantined once they returned home.
It was hard to leave Egypt! Air space for international flights was closed and domestic flights with in were down to a few a day. They started letting in the odd flight to take people home, but these were often cancelled as well in their home countries!
Old 26 April 2020, 02:46 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
It was hard to leave Egypt! Air space for international flights was closed and domestic flights with in were down to a few a day. They started letting in the odd flight to take people home, but these were often cancelled as well in their home countries!
That's gotta be scary when on vacation.

The OP winters in Sri Lanka so he has a place there. But as a tourist it has to be disquieting to not know where and how to get home, even with how nice I'm sure some people were in those countries and tried to help.
Old 26 April 2020, 03:41 AM   #9
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's gotta be scary when on vacation.

The OP winters in Sri Lanka so he has a place there. But as a tourist it has to be disquieting to not know where and how to get home, even with how nice I'm sure some people were in those countries and tried to help.
Absolutely true! Near the end the locals were avoiding us and pointing and yelling at their kids to get away as they thought as foreigners, we had the Corona virus.
Old 26 April 2020, 09:31 AM   #10
BreguetRolex
Banned

We left for Sri Lanka the middle of October 2019 and was to return back to Ohio, USA on Easter Sunday 2020. 20th of March our tickets were cancelled and Airport closed to inbound and out bound passenger traffic. They just advised us yesterday airport will be closed now until 15th of may and our curfew that was to be lifted Monday morning the 27th of April is now been extended to the 4th of May.

Yes we have our own place and very lucky to be in the position we are in here but still drives us nuts not being able to get out and do our thing. I am suppose to get credit for the cancelled tickets but was told will take up to 2 months to back on my CC. They have closed all liquor stores for now over 6 weeks with no access to buy beer etc however I am good on that part too.. Mainly miss being out on my bicycle every morning at 4am exercising.. Spirits are still good but kids and grandkids sure want us back home...

58535327-AF48-4085-9770-28C47AAD9B2C.jpeg

28FD590B-AC22-47E5-B7BF-A7E33F70D798.jpeg

CEA2D6EB-8903-4651-A727-8C052A8A5451.jpeg

78F48CE1-E669-4ACE-9B10-F9BE399A535F.jpeg
Old 26 April 2020, 02:34 PM   #11
Bigblu10
Banned

Things aren't as bad here in the US as some media tries to portray it. 50K dead out of a population of over 330 million? They fail to say how many were infected and recovered. Only doom and gloom. The economic catastrophe and self inflicted job losses are the bigger issue unfortunately.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #12
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Things aren't as bad here in the US as some media tries to portray it. 50K dead out of a population of over 330 million? They fail to say how many were infected and recovered. Only doom and gloom. The economic catastrophe and self inflicted job losses are the bigger issue unfortunately.
Completely agree.

Over here 250 LESS people dead in march 2020 than 2019. Goes to show same (or less) number of people die it’s just another reason of death.
Old 27 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #13
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Completely agree.

Over here 250 LESS people dead in march 2020 than 2019. Goes to show same (or less) number of people die it’s just another reason of death.
I know as far as stats go, the number of work place and traffic fatalities are down tremendously. Do they off set one another?
Old 27 April 2020, 08:03 AM   #14
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Completely agree.

COVID-19 is “just another reason of death”.... that doesn’t come across very well via an Internet forum post, I’m afraid.

Anyway, those numbers are not at all comparable.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 08:16 AM   #15
BreguetRolex
Banned

Where R U STRANDED..?

Looking to see if any other "STRANDED " in a Foreign Country and nothing about death..! :)
Old 27 April 2020, 01:45 PM   #16
Pangit
"TRF" Member

I have been stranded in the Philippines since my flight back to the UK for 1 April was cancelled. I have been 42 days under Enhanced Community Quarantine which has been extended twice. 15th May is the new date to lift the ECQ. This beach is about 50 yards from my apartment and at this time of year is normally packed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0671.jpeg (209.4 KB, 462 views)
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 02:06 PM   #17
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
I have been stranded in the Philippines since my flight back to the UK for 1 April was cancelled. I have been 42 days under Enhanced Community Quarantine which has been extended twice. 15th May is the new date to lift the ECQ. This beach is about 50 yards from my apartment and at this time of year is normally packed.
Great to see your also in awesome spirits. I am very fortunate that we own our own place here as hotel or rented apartments would really add up quickly. We are also very close to the beach as well but are forbidden to be on it. Seems were about the same under lockdown..
Old 27 April 2020, 03:23 PM   #18
BreguetRolex
Banned

Day 35 of TOTAL CURFEW Today..

Curfew has been on and off for the last several months however today is day 35 of total restricted lockdown here on The Emerald Isle... We just moved into our brand new Condominium in December of 2019 with completion of the complex was end of November.. Brand new building and simply just love it. We had no idea what was to transpire recently but lucky to be in this nice position...

851FA7E0-DD1D-4E8F-917F-6C2478C9086F.jpeg

54AAEEF2-1446-49AA-A1C9-BD5D8093DDB6.jpeg

9433CC7B-9FF7-421E-B887-A9DDD8EB5690.jpeg
Old 27 April 2020, 11:11 PM   #19
bob2
Banned

Watch: Patek 5396G
I read last night that the UAE is opening up. Etihad to start flying in a few days. That should get some of you guys in south asia moving.

There is an interview with Ahmed Saddiqqi on W&W. He is pushing for malls to open quickly, but is expecting low volume for several weeks. With a bit of luck the Rolex boutique at Dubai Mall will be open when the airports open, and they'll be dealing.
bob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 12:11 AM   #20
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did, and still am. I'm stuck at Bali since Feb. Could be worse I suppose :)
Old 28 April 2020, 01:14 PM   #21
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
I did, and still am. I'm stuck at Bali since Feb. Could be worse I suppose :)
AWESOME place..My wife and I mid feb flew from Sri Lanka to Jakarta on my birthday for a week as i have never been south of the equator before. On my return flight back to Colombo from Jakarta there was all kinds of hacking and coughing going on in the aircraft. I never really gave it much thought back then...
Old 29 April 2020, 12:30 PM   #22
macuser553
"TRF" Member

I was not stranded per say, but I was in India when the lockdowns started, and had to plan a new route home. Originally, I had booked a ticket on Swiss from Delhi to Zurich (gotta see some watches!) to New York. Both the Delhi to Zurich and Zurich to New York legs of the flight got canceled due to restrictions put in place by the countries on travel to/from Europe. Fortunately, India wasn't much of a hotspot at the time, so I ended up taking a direct flight Air India to Newark to get home. I wore an N95 mask the entire time and avoided eating or drinking anything while in-flight. As domestic air travel is now totally stopped in India (I had been in a small city), it is a good thing that I got out when I did. I'm still waiting for Swiss to refund my ticket!
macuser553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 01:55 PM   #23
BreguetRolex
Banned

Stranded on a ISLAND

On tap later today while under curfew..:)

AE8DF868-E96E-43C4-89C4-F4B26D145B09.jpeg
Old 2 May 2020, 12:14 PM   #24
BreguetRolex
Banned

The Emerald ISLE of the INDIAN OCEAN

Curfew here now has been extended until the 11th of May....! UGHHHHH
Old 3 May 2020, 08:46 AM   #25
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
We left for Sri Lanka the middle of October 2019 and was to return back to Ohio, USA on Easter Sunday 2020. 20th of March our tickets were cancelled and Airport closed to inbound and out bound passenger traffic. They just advised us yesterday airport will be closed now until 15th of may and our curfew that was to be lifted Monday morning the 27th of April is now been extended to the 4th of May.

Yes we have our own place and very lucky to be in the position we are in here but still drives us nuts not being able to get out and do our thing. I am suppose to get credit for the cancelled tickets but was told will take up to 2 months to back on my CC. They have closed all liquor stores for now over 6 weeks with no access to buy beer etc however I am good on that part too.. Mainly miss being out on my bicycle every morning at 4am exercising.. Spirits are still good but kids and grandkids sure want us back home...

Attachment 1129804

Attachment 1129805

Attachment 1129806

Attachment 1129807
That is just beautiful!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 10:46 AM   #26
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My situation was not very drastic unlike yours in Sri Lanka but we were in Maui mid March and we could see the situation developing quickly. California locked down on the 15th, Hawaiians were getting fearful that tourists would bring in the virus and overwhelm their medical facilities, and although nothing physically changed, the vibe certainly did. We left on March 20th.

Maui/Hawaii relies on tourism, hotels and everyone would be laying people off. The island would basically shut down.

Now in Hawaii, there are some tourists who took advantage of cheap airfares and hotels, but there is no gathering on the beaches supposedly and 14 day self quarantining in hotels, which is not being adhered to, but you can go in the water for swimming/surfing etc. Residents of Hawaii are getting very prickly about tourists showing up, and have a lot of fear about contaminating the island and worry about their families and aging members of the population.
I just booked flights to Maui in October for our 15th anniversary. It was only 30k Delta skymiles from Atlanta which is just obscene. I may be taking some risk by booking it but I would think 6 months from now they would have to have something worked out
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 12:13 PM   #27
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
I just booked flights to Maui in October for our 15th anniversary. It was only 30k Delta skymiles from Atlanta which is just obscene. I may be taking some risk by booking it but I would think 6 months from now they would have to have something worked out
That’s a risk worth taking
Old 3 May 2020, 12:42 PM   #28
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
We booked July 30 - August 10. Everything completely refundable since I estimate only about 50% chance of it working out.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:25 PM   #29
BreguetRolex
Banned

We are not even able to make any bookings here on The Emerald Isle until they reopen the airport that looks like it will finally reopen on the 15th of May..
Old 3 May 2020, 01:28 PM   #30
BreguetRolex
Banned

had a chance to wax and polish out teak floors while under curfew...

A46230C2-D1D0-4ADE-B53E-1C12AB4FC804.jpeg

E10672A4-13F4-4FAB-AAE9-70041B5B21CA.jpeg