The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 May 2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Would you continue with a house purchase during Covid 19?

I posted a few weeks ago now with the hope all this would soon blow over. That was before the lockdowns, the travel restrictions & businesses closing down.

Now the economic magnitude of this is starting to become clearer - and I don’t think we’ve even seen the real start of that as social distance measurements will continue to bite and alter people’s finances & behaviours for a while to come.

Depending on what I read, either the picture for housing looks rosy (usually written by estate agents) or on the verge of a massive collapse (most economic forecasts)

We had put an offer in which was accepted shortly before the pandemic came to Europe in a big way. We have no concerns around affordability, but given everything else happening right now it just doesn’t feel like a good time to be buying our first house.

We are very comfortable where we are now so no major rush to move.

At the moment I think we have two options, ask for a significant delay into 2021 and then review again or pull out.

Grateful to hear your opinions on the matter !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 08:51 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Tough call. Who knows where interest rates will go?

Unless there was no overarching need (school district; absolutely in love with the house), I would try to negotiate down the price and otherwise walk away (assuming I could).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 09:07 AM   #3
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Tough call. Who knows where interest rates will go?

Unless there was no overarching need (school district; absolutely in love with the house), I would try to negotiate down the price and otherwise walk away (assuming I could).

I guess interest rates are likely to stay low as a form of economic stimulus but who knows how this may end up 6-12 months from now.

It’s that unknown really which has me feeling quite risk averse on it.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 1 May 2020, 09:11 AM   #4
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
As long as you can afford it, which you said you could yes I would move forward with it.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Yk101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list!
I would proceed as planned. Interest rates may go down a bit, but not by a significant margin. I would not expect them to be negative. like with everything else there are scavengers that would try to step in and take advantage of the condition - just look at what is going on with watches. Different scale but the same principle.
To me, a contract is a contract, and it shouldn't be broken.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 09:22 AM   #6
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
I don't see any reason to wait, as long as you have a stable job situation. Hypothetically, if rates did go lower in the future you can refinance.
Old 1 May 2020, 09:25 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
We put an offer in on a house for our children to move into at college (and as room for us to visit) and we'll go through with it. We did set aside money for the down payment, furnishing and at least 6 months of payments so even though our normal income will take a big hit, we planned for it. Interest rates were very low so that's nice.

So for the OP, if this was part of the long term plan, I would say continue. Even if we have a rough year, the long term outlook should be good.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 09:34 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yk101 View Post
I would proceed as planned. Interest rates may go down a bit, but not by a significant margin. I would not expect them to be negative. like with everything else there are scavengers that would try to step in and take advantage of the condition - just look at what is going on with watches. Different scale but the same principle.

Current Bank of England rate is 0.1%.

Even if prices dip it’s not like we would be planning to sell anytime soon either.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 1 May 2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
We put an offer in on a house for our children to move into at college (and as room for us to visit) and we'll go through with it. We did set aside money for the down payment, furnishing and at least 6 months of payments so even though our normal income will take a big hit, we planned for it. Interest rates were very low so that's nice.

So for the OP, if this was part of the long term plan, I would say continue. Even if we have a rough year, the long term outlook should be good.

Yes it is part of the plan - as we have been waiting to buy somewhere for a while now.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 1 May 2020, 10:05 AM   #10
mjr24
Banned

Quite honestly, I think social distancing is coming to an end soon. The numbers do not support the measures being taken...and it's one thing for business owners to have to eat a month or two of income due to places being shut.....but these people aren't going to stand for having to go out of business due to this. There are a lot of business owners in WI who are opening regardless of the stay at home rule and many sheriff/police departments here have made it clear they are NOT going to enforce the order. I'm ready for stuff to get back to normal....
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 10:13 AM   #11
Papanas
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sunset Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Quite honestly, I think social distancing is coming to an end soon. The numbers do not support the measures being taken...and it's one thing for business owners to have to eat a month or two of income due to places being shut.....but these people aren't going to stand for having to go out of business due to this. There are a lot of business owners in WI who are opening regardless of the stay at home rule and many sheriff/police departments here have made it clear they are NOT going to enforce the order. I'm ready for stuff to get back to normal....
Yeah , I’m over the scamovid 19 too .
Papanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 10:20 AM   #12
Old Farmer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
One thing is for certain, today is probably the best time to buy property as it will never be cheaper.
Old Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 10:48 AM   #13
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanas View Post
Yeah , I’m over the scamovid 19 too .
What does either one of these responses have to do with the OP's question? Just thread lock fodder. Take it elsewhere if you can't add value to the discussion.

To the OP. Since it's part of your long term plans and you obviously liked the property you should go forward with the purchase. It is likely to still be a good long term investment. After all they're not making any more land.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 10:54 AM   #14
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I would wait. The level of job security - spreading to all sectors- is becoming quite low. Is your buget/ finances well off ? Is your revenue stream able to withstand some hardship?

Only you can answer that one, of course.

I know I'd have to wait.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 11:01 AM   #15
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I would not buy property until a major slowdown, which will happen.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 11:26 AM   #16
Papanas
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sunset Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
What does either one of these responses have to do with the OP's question? Just thread lock fodder. Take it elsewhere if you can't add value to the discussion.

To the OP. Since it's part of your long term plans and you obviously liked the property you should go forward with the purchase. It is likely to still be a good long term investment. After all they're not making any more land.
Carry on . Best of luck OP, proceed with caution,
Papanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 11:41 AM   #17
77T

For many reasons I would go through with the purchase. If your uncertainty is based on home values dipping, timing the market for real estate is nearly as hard as the stock market.

The other reasons are to use as much OPM as possible at low debt cost, have control over your domicile, build long term security and have pride of place.

Even if home values dip, they will return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 12:20 PM   #18
Mifune
Banned

hell yes... saw a quote for 2.75% just this morning on the tele. I think I am going to refi.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 05:05 PM   #19
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks yes - we had a look through again last night and are leaning towards continuing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post
I would wait. The level of job security - spreading to all sectors- is becoming quite low. Is your buget/ finances well off ? Is your revenue stream able to withstand some hardship?

Only you can answer that one, of course.

I know I'd have to wait.

We are lucky to be quite shuttered from any impacts coming from corona, at least at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I would not buy property until a major slowdown, which will happen.

I also do think a big slowdown is coming, I guess it’s the uncertainty of that which has just caused pause for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
For many reasons I would go through with the purchase. If your uncertainty is based on home values dipping, timing the market for real estate is nearly as hard as the stock market.

The other reasons are to use as much OPM as possible at low debt cost, have control over your domicile, build long term security and have pride of place.

Even if home values dip, they will return.

Thank you, these are all really useful points.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 1 May 2020, 05:11 PM   #20
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
hell yes... saw a quote for 2.75% just this morning on the tele. I think I am going to refi.

We have a mortgage agreement in place at a touch over 1.85% and fixed for 5 years.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 1 May 2020, 06:18 PM   #21
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If I was at the part where all the searches were done and just at the stage of exchanging contracts I would carry on. If you are part of a chain and need to sell your property, I would be tempted to wait. If you choose to carry on may, I wish your house to provide you and your family with love and happiness for many years to come.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 07:45 PM   #22
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
My business is property. I would not complete the purchase at pre-epedemic price.

I believe there will be a massive drop in property prices due to the biggest impending recession the UK/world has seen.

Even if you intend to live there forever – things change and you could want or need to sell before you intended and I expect the house will now be worth considerably less than before you agreed a price – pre-epidemic.

However, I do agree with much that 77T says, especially that prices will return – but IMO not for several years.
I would certainly still purchase a property rather than renting, but at the new price which the market will set.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 07:49 PM   #23
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
We have a mortgage agreement in place at a touch over 1.85% and fixed for 5 years.

Do they offer 15 year fixed rates where you are?

Better to get a longer fixed term methinks.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 07:55 PM   #24
mjr24
Banned

Quote:

Do you lack reading comprehension? The OP stated part of the reason he was worried is because he believes social distancing is going to continue. I am saying it is not. Thanks for playing, though, brenngun!
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 08:11 PM   #25
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I'm no property expert but I would not. There are so many variables that are impossible to fully evaluate.

For example, it has been suggested that property prices in expensive commuter towns in the South-East outside London could collapse if the pandemic results in a permanent increase in the number of people working from home: firms may decide that having big, expensive city centre offices is no longer appropriate which would change the way millions of people work, live and commute.

Obviously that may not apply to you at all, but it's just one example of a previously unforeseeable consequence of the infection.
Old 1 May 2020, 10:44 PM   #26
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
The only property I’ll consider owning is investment property, specifically multi family. Owning property you can’t make money from is one of the biggest scams perpetuated on us all. Even if you “own” it outright it can still somehow be taken from you if you don’t pay a tax and cost a fortune to maintain..... buy something others will pay you to live in op and house hack if need be.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 11:05 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yk101 View Post

Given there has to be a spread for a bank to make money on a mortgage they won’t be dipping towards zero like say the fed funds rate. Historically the spread is around 1.8% but currently in the US it’s closer to 2.5 because banks adjust for risk, liquidity etc.

OP: I would expect a lower price and would consult with your attorney regarding the best course of action. One thing I will say is in this environment I value my home more than any other asset by a long shot. If it’s going to greatly improve your quality of life and you can afford it then maybe there’s a middle ground to close the deal amicably for less.
Old 1 May 2020, 11:05 PM   #28
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Yes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 11:26 PM   #29
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Yes

We are just finishing up the kitchen then will be actively looking to purchase and move within the year
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 11:28 PM   #30
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What are the terms of the loan beyond 5 years? I'm not familiar with housing and loans outside of the US. But as an example, we will be refinancing our home at 2.75% fixed with a 15-year term, consolidating two higher rate loans, one of which was variable. We will likely have the new loan paid off well before then, but a shorter term loan here didn't yield a significantly lower rate. This way we have a safety valve in case the recovery phase is protracted for my business.

In general, I feel like it's a good idea to make your first home purchase when rates and costs are low, as they will be in the near term. We built our home in 2009 when materials and labor were cheap, ended up being great timing.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote