The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 2 May 2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Ontherolexjourney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Rolex Deepsea 116660 resizing advice.

Good morning forum members.

I have just bought my first Rolex, a 2009 Deepsea. Model 116660. What an amazing watch!

I need to resize the bracelet by removing a link. I would usually take a watch to a jeweller to be sized, however due to the current lockdown, there are no jewellers open so I need to do it myself.

I have tried to find out what size the link screws are but I keep finding conflicting information, so I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me.

I think the screw size is 1.6mm, Is this correct?

Also, what size flathead screwdriver would I need and can you recommend any good ones I could purchase in the UK under £20.00?

Lastly, I have seen people saying to use a tiny drop of Loctite on the screw, notibly Loctite 222 or 221. Is this good advice and if so, how would you advise using it.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I just want to make sure I have the correct tools and guidance before I do anything myself.

Any other tips on resizing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. Hopefully this is just the start off my Rolex adventure.

Phil.
Ontherolexjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 01:27 PM   #2
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I did a DIY on this some years ago; it is posted here. https://www.minus4plus6.com/bracelet.php and here: https://www.minus4plus6.com/bracelet_kit.php

~ Sheldon
Old 9 May 2020, 05:16 PM   #3
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
If you already have a screwdriver set, you can buy just the correct size blade. Horotec supply hollow ground blades which is the type included in the Rolex bracelet set (they may not be Horotec though).
H.S.Walsh sell them iin a variety of sizes. This is their listing for 1.6mm, but they also have other sizes.
https://www.hswalsh.com/product/scre...895-m-hs7895-m
Low strength threadlocker is part of the process. (221 or 222 recommended I think). Put a small amount in the female threads not on the end of the screw.

Edited to add: You may have to heat up the end of the existing link to release any threadlocker, before you can unscrew it. Several options to do this including a clean soldering iron.

Last edited by keepitsimple; 9 May 2020 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Added info.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote