The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 May 2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Peter_S
"TRF" Member

PAM 560 vs PAM 914

Dear forum members, dear paneristi,

This is my first post in this forum, and I didn‘t expect it to appear in the Panerai subsection..

I originally registered because of...of course... Rolex watches, but because I‘m looking for a balanced collection, I see myself more and more attracted to the Panerai Luminor collection.

Here‘s what I have so far:
- Omega Speedmaster Professional
- Rolex Submariner Green
- IWC Aquatimer Edition Jacques Cousteau
- Nomos Ludwig 38mm
- An old Eterna Eternamatic from my grandfather
- Seiko SKX007

Now I‘m thinking about a Panerai Luminor primarily because of this incredibly special design. Since the collection is huge and confusing (at least to me), I haven‘t yet converged on a specific model. Some specifics that I would like: not larger than 44mm, sandwich dial, as uncluttered as possible, and not too expensive (my wife is only a fan of my hobby as long as I‘m not getting too crazy, so a ‚reasonable‘ price helps here;-).

So far I have two favorites:

The Luminor Base 8 Days (PAM00560) and the Luminor Base (PAM00914)

(Sorry, I cannot post links yet!)

I would like to ask you two questions regarding these watches:
1. What are the differences between them? Because they look pretty similar...besides that it says 8 Days on the 560 and 8 Giorni on the 914...maybe the lume color is also different, but this could be due to the rendering...

2. Is the P.5000 a good calibre? I heard some rumors that Panerai had problems with this, especially after the launch, and I would be interested if you can say anything about the current quality of this movement.

Many thanks for helping me with this, and please feel free to mention other watches that might fight my above criteria.

Best wishes,
Peter (originally from Germany, usually living in Switzerland, but currently in Providence, RI)
Peter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 09:35 PM   #2
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The differences are minor from my understanding and mostly aesthetic, though I'd check to see if one has a screwdown caseback versus snap on. Regardless, if you are asking specifically about the P5000 movement, I had two watches with this movement and had problems with it. I've mentioned it many times on this forum, but I think it does bear pointing out considering it is the only in house movement I have had an issue with.

It runs extremely fast when fully wound. In 24 hours, my watch gained almost 2 minutes, then it more or less evens out until it runs out. I understand that one accepts a certain inaccuracy when dealing with manual wind watches, but this was excessive in my opinion. I had the 610 and 563, both had this movement and both ran identical. Others have pointed this out to Panerai and they have said that this is normal. I have also been informed by other owners of the P5000 movement, that this has changed and the movement is either more accurate or they have not had this issue. I am not saying my experience is the law, just my experience.

It bothered me enough that I ended up selling these two pieces and avoid this movement for that reason.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Peter_S
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your input, Evan!

Hm, it seems it‘s more difficult than I thought to find the ‚right‘ Panerai..
Peter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 03:13 PM   #4
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

It is typical for watches with a lot of power reserve to run faster when fully wound.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 05:27 PM   #5
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashblue View Post
It is typical for watches with a lot of power reserve to run faster when fully wound.
I don't understand this, when a watch of this design is wound why should it run fast then slow down, this isn't a child's clockwork toy it is an expensive precision instrument.

These are luxury watches, shouldn't they be designed to run accurately from the moment it is fully wound irrespective of the amount of power reserve?

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 06:51 PM   #6
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I don't understand this, when a watch of this design is wound why should it run fast then slow down, this isn't a child's clockwork toy it is an expensive precision instrument.

These are luxury watches, shouldn't they be designed to run accurately from the moment it is fully wound irrespective of the amount of power reserve?
The big spring barrels aren’t releasing their energy as even a smaller ones. The movement has 2 coupled with toothed rims.

There is a reason why not many watches offer such long power reserves. But as jcb said if I want to know the time I look on my phone.
Old 16 May 2020, 07:40 AM   #7
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The big spring barrels aren’t releasing their energy as even a smaller ones. The movement has 2 coupled with toothed rims.

There is a reason why not many watches offer such long power reserves. But as jcb said if I want to know the time I look on my phone.
Thanks for the explanation, does this affect all 8 day watches?

Old 16 May 2020, 04:47 PM   #8
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Thanks for the explanation, does this affect all 8 day watches?
All the Panerais with 8 days of power reserve use the same movement.
Old 16 May 2020, 08:37 PM   #9
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All the Panerais with 8 days of power reserve use the same movement.
Thanks, another step on my Panerai learning curve achieved.

Old 17 May 2020, 03:49 AM   #10
emtee
"TRF" Member

All I can say is I have a 564 with P5000 movement and never had this issue. My watch is from 2019 but I had read about that banking issues but thankfully mine has been incredibly accurate. From what I’ve read seem that issue has been resolved with later movements and I can confirm mine is all good.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 04:50 AM   #11
2mgversed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN/PAM560
I have the PAM560 and love it. Haven't had an issue.
2mgversed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 05:56 AM   #12
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
All I can say is I have a 564 with P5000 movement and never had this issue. My watch is from 2019 but I had read about that banking issues but thankfully mine has been incredibly accurate. From what I’ve read seem that issue has been resolved with later movements and I can confirm mine is all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mgversed View Post
I have the PAM560 and love it. Haven't had an issue.
Two votes for the P5000 calibre, anyone else have a watch with the P5000 movement and care to comment, good or bad feedback would be useful.

Old 23 May 2020, 04:59 AM   #13
Giovanni6
"TRF" Member

The P5000 of my 564 R serie is very good. +3 sec a day on average which I believe to be very good.
I have heard that only very early series had some issues which could be covered by guarantee or during next service.
My serie is good, stable and a nice to wind :)

Envoyé de mon SM-N975F en utilisant Tapatalk
Giovanni6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 06:57 AM   #14
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No. My IWC Portugieser is hand wound watch, model 510202, and it is more accurate when fully wound. As a matter of fact, the IWC manual recommends to top off the power reserve daily.

I also have the 5000 movement, and while I do not have a timing machine, it’s very accurate. When I conducted my research on said movement, several owners complained about the movement running fast when at full power. One of the tricks was fully wind the movement, wait circa 30 minutes, and then set the watch. If this claim is correct then the 5000 movement runs fast only for few minutes and the power is evenly distributed for the remainder of the power reserve.

Would be interesting if the owners of this movement tested their watches with this method.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 08:53 AM   #15
zjhoward
"TRF" Member

I’m in this exact same dilemma. I’m interested in these two watches, identically and would love anyone else’s opinion on things. Specifically, the differences between the two watches...
zjhoward is offline   Reply With Quote